Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advantages of the multi guild system

Comments

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

Main thing I'm looking forward to is being able to start my own solo guild!   I can level that up some on the side.

Then when I join/represent some other guilds I'll still have my solo guild on the side that I won't have lost progress on.

• PuraimaruPuraimaru Member UncommonPosts: 68

Even if you aren't currently representing a particular guild, it shows that you are online but with dash through your Icon that indicates you are online and that your currently not representing that guild, and I dont see the big deal, u can free switch between the guilds instantly~

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

It's amazing how developers find creative ways to utterly destroy the sense of community in MMOs. Subtle, clever ways which people will accept,and almost unnoticed will accomplish their purpose of destroying what made MMOs a different kind of videogame. You really have to admire them for that, even if you don't like what they are doing, they are doing it in a perfect way.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Options are always wellcome!

You want to be in one guild? perfect!

You want to be in two guilds? One for WvWvW and another with friends to pve? you can too!

Forget about loging from a guild to the other...just switch it!

still you show online for all but just representing one guild  or the other..

It´s perfect!

Everybody can do what they like. I see no problems with it.

Choices.... ^^

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

I did enjoy multiple guilds (ls) in FF11 and FF14.

While you were only able to listen and speak to one in FF11(could switch to a different one at any time) were you able to have multiple active in FF14 even tho only 1 you could speak in which i found odd.(had to switch the one you wanted to speak in)

However in FF11 there were so many different endgames going on that it made sense to have more than one guild and having a crafting guild was also very usefull and pretty much needed if you wanted to seriously craft.

For GW2 i dont see the need for a crafting guild or multiply endgame guilds but it certainly would be helpfull for ppl who want a social and maybe a PVP guild on top of an event guild.

The feature i liked most about the LS system in FF was that i could just unequip my guild and be on my own if i felt like it and i really would like to have that option again.

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

GW2 isn't WoW. You don't need 15, 25 or 40 active members to do things. It makes no sense to join multiple guilds that you have no interest in participating in, and given the cap of 100 members it makes no sense to keep players who do not routinely represent your guild.

There are lots of reasons to want to be in multiple guilds. Maybe you have a group of RL friends that you want to have an exclusive guild with but they don't like PvP, so you join a WvW guild on your local server and then a competitive sPvP guild that spans multiple servers and switch based on what you feel like doing while you're on. What does it matter if you end up spending most of your time in one guild or constantly jump between them? It's better than being stuck in one guild for one specific purpose, say WvW, and not being able to share guild features with your RL friends or sPvP group.

I don't see how being able to associate with more than one group is more destructive to a sense of community than only being able to associate with one group at a time. At least you won't constantly hear people ask, "Anyone know if Bob is on an alt?"

• MavekMavek Member Posts: 138

I pretty much agree with those who support the one guild feature.  I'll probably start off the game finding one guild to call my "home" and branch out from there.  Its important imo that I have one guild as my foundation.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Since I'm more of a single guild loyal guy, I vote for single guild account or character based (either), but I can see why would people like multi guild system.

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894
    Originally posted by Mavek

I pretty much agree with those who support the one guild feature.  I'll probably start off the game finding one guild to call my "home" and branch out from there.  Its important imo that I have one guild as my foundation.

That's likely how most people will do it. There's no reason to be in multiple guilds unless you've got a reason, and if you have a reason then you have a reason and it's not a problem.

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578
    Originally posted by nyxxis

To me guilds are about being loyal to one "family" that has basiclly the same gaming values you have.  I have always been about super loyalty to my guild. I have ridden a few down to the bitter end and even then was reluctant to leave. I have always felt being part of more than one guild was like being a tratior, though most of that stemmed from guilds all kind of racing towards the same goal.  I think if you are going to be part of a guild you should be loyal to them until the point that you and your guilds goals are not in sync and you should move on and not just decide to not log onto that guild again.

This..../

But on the otherhand having multiple guilds to fall back on might not be so bad...

Playing GW2..

• ennymithennymith Member UncommonPosts: 121

I have never played in a game with multi-guild membership, so to respond to this poll I was trying to think of what some of the benefits of multiple guild membership could be. One of the potential problems I see with WvW is battle communication between allied guilds. 

I am curious as to how multi-guild membership may relate to WvW battle communications.  

I have seen questions in various guild public forums about how to coordinate/communicate between cooperating guilds and pick up groups during WvW battles.  

Is is there some mechanic in place that assists guild alliance battle chat (shared chat between allied guilds)?

Could multiple guild membership provide guild alliances with an opportunity for shared, or commonly held guild memberships in order to provide a single shared chat channel for WvW battle coordination?

Could some guilds be formed for the sole purpose of serving as a inter-alliance battle chat system?

What do you think?

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Originally posted by Xzen
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Is there a way to combine the strengths of both systems?

I just cant see how

Guilds and Community lists. You can be in 1 guild then you can have community groups that you belong to for things like PvP, Socializing, Raiding, etc. Kind of the same way social networking does it. This way you can represent and be loyal to your guild and still have your other communities for what ever.

I think that's a great idea.  I like the single guild system for the loyalty and comraderie it can build and provide a good strong foundation in a game.  The problem I seem to have is that people bail for various reasons and all of a sudden I'm the only guild member playing.  (thinks:  Maybe it's me???)  That's where I would support the multi guild system.

However, the Guilds and Community lists idea IMO would overcome much of the issues with both single guild membership and multi guild membership.  I'd certainly go for that!  :)

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• maddbomber83maddbomber83 Member Posts: 422

You can see the members that are logged on but representing a different guild.  They and you can't chat through guild chat however.

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

I know i am off topic, but i like the fact that I don't have to be in a guild to enjoy the game to its fullest.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

I like the current guild system but I also want alliances from GW1.

• srpssrps Member UncommonPosts: 121

I like the multi-guild system better, it's an enhancement from the old one.

You want to behave like a single-guild game would let you? You can!.

You want to explore the new features of the multi-guild system? You can also!

I don't get what's the problem of the people that prefer the "old" system over this one, as they can play it exactly like the old one, with a couple enhancements (like it being account-wide already, no more logging on alts and having to wait for an officer to come online to invite you, no more "does someone know if X is on an alt?", or "whose alt is this Y character?".

Saying it'll destroy communities? Why, because people can switch guilds when they don't feel like listening to you yapping guild drama and instead prefer an healthier chat? They did already, logging some "chill-out alt", or just closing the game entirely.

The system isn't perfect, but I don't see any disadvantage over the single one. 

• kafka1984kafka1984 Member Posts: 83
    Multiple-Guilds system provides a great deal of flexibility and offers much more options in regards to group activities.
    Also it was most likely implemented to suit the more casual players.

Roll the Dice

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by srps

I like the multi-guild system better, it's an enhancement from the old one.

You want to behave like a single-guild game would let you? You can!.

You want to explore the new features of the multi-guild system? You can also!

I don't get what's the problem of the people that prefer the "old" system over this one, as they can play it exactly like the old one, with a couple enhancements (like it being account-wide already, no more logging on alts and having to wait for an officer to come online to invite you, no more "does someone know if X is on an alt?", or "whose alt is this Y character?".

Saying it'll destroy communities? Why, because people can switch guilds when they don't feel like listening to you yapping guild drama and instead prefer an healthier chat? They did already, logging some "chill-out alt", or just closing the game entirely.

The system isn't perfect, but I don't see any disadvantage over the single one. 

The old GW system was guild alliances, where multiple guilds can join into an alliance and share the same chat, visit each other's guild halls, etc. It was a great way for larger guilds to deal with guild member limits. It was also a great way for smaller guilds to maintain their identity, while at the same time being in a much larger alliance.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

On paper it is a nice idea, but I fear in reality it will be a clusterfuck for most communities. Mainly because people are basically assholes in general. 

Furthermore I really only see this as beneficial for those that actually play a lot. Being part of a guild means you are part of that community and to be part of a community you need to invest time into that community. This is a lot harder if you are part of multiple guilds and only have limited play time. 

I also think it is unfair to put the responsibility of keeping players entertained on the shoulders of the guildleader and officers of a guild. In a strong guild community the leadership can keep their focus on more important things rather than entertaining the lack of attention span crowd. 

So basically Anet needs to prove to me this system truly can work, because I have my doubts when taking my first statement into account. People are assholes.

• CorrineCorrine Member UncommonPosts: 77
    Originally posted by Connmacart

On paper it is a nice idea, but I fear in reality it will be a clusterfuck for most communities. Mainly because people are basically assholes in general. 

Furthermore I really only see this as beneficial for those that actually play a lot. Being part of a guild means you are part of that community and to be part of a community you need to invest time into that community. This is a lot harder if you are part of multiple guilds and only have limited play time. 

I also think it is unfair to put the responsibility of keeping players entertained on the shoulders of the guildleader and officers of a guild. In a strong guild community the leadership can keep their focus on more important things rather than entertaining the lack of attention span crowd. 

So basically Anet needs to prove to me this system truly can work, because I have my doubts when taking my first statement into account. People are assholes.

Then people that feel like you will only stay in ONE guild. You all make it sound like it's mandatory, it's just an option relax.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Connmacart

Exactly this is the biggest problem, you can only contribute to one guild at a time, and chat in one guild at a time.  

Also keep in mind that if they introduce a guildsystem like this, they can never ever change it back.  While its a feature aiming at casuall players it will espescially not work for them.  Combined with the Cooop open world PvE, where grouping is not required, i think the social part of this game may become lackluster.

Solution :

-Add social groups to the game, where people can join multiple social groups and be active in one of them at a time. You could be memeber of a sPvP alliance, a roleplay alliance or just a social alliance with real time friends.

-Stick to a single guild/account.

-Add alliances, where guilds can join several alliances, this gives the people most of the advantages from the current guildsystem.

And please do this before release day, as there is no way back after release.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

I like the idea, but I like alliances better.

Guilds are all about communicating and involving your members, if you're part of multiple guilds but practically only contribute / connect to a single one, I can definitely imagine myself looking at my guild list one day, finding that I don't even remember why I joined 90% of the guilds there.

It can also be a disadvantage if people hop on over to another guild and lose track of their first one in the end.

With alliances, you had a shared common identity, while every single guild also kept its own identity + you could connect more easily.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• Ashen_XAshen_X Member Posts: 363

I would prefer single guild account based like GW1.

When all has been said and done, more will have been said than done.

• iConspiracyiConspiracy Member UncommonPosts: 12

I am really looking forward to GW2 and will be playing for the first time in this upcoming BWE as my work schedule is reduced for a change!  However this is possibly -the- one thing that is holding me back (as it did with FFXI). In many other mmos over the past 10-12 years I have actively got involved with guilds and alliances, both in an administrative position and just as a member, and I strongly feel this "Multi-guild" system is going to cause a breakdown in community.

Guilds, to me, should form a sense of identity. They (used to) define you. They were like your family in a world of strangers. You could relate to them, have fun with them, learn and grow with them. But now, I feel this system threatens that.There is no sense of loyalty, no sense of allegience. There was a time you could trust your guild members, can we still?

This is a game whose roots come very strongly from GvG. Whose side would you be on when that war started? Guild A? maybe B? how about Guild n?

(Yes I know I have very few posts <_<, so call me a troll if you will)

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by iConspiracy

I am really looking forward to GW2 and will be playing for the first time in this upcoming BWE as my work schedule is reduced for a change!  However this is possibly -the- one thing that is holding me back (as it did with FFXI). In many other mmos over the past 10-12 years I have actively got involved with guilds and alliances, both in an administrative position and just as a member, and I strongly feel this "Multi-guild" system is going to cause a breakdown in community.

Guilds, to me, should form a sense of identity. They (used to) define you. They were like your family in a world of strangers. You could relate to them, have fun with them, learn and grow with them. But now, I feel this system threatens that.There is no sense of loyalty, no sense of allegience. There was a time you could trust your guild members, can we still?

This is a game whose roots come very strongly from GvG. Whose side would you be on when that war started? Guild A? maybe B? how about Guild n?

(Yes I know I have very few posts <_<, so call me a troll if you will)

If your favorite guild focuses on PVE wouldn't you want to join a PVP oriented guild, if you also like PVP, so you can participate in some sPVP as well? Same with WvWvW, you might join a PVE guild and join a WvWvW guild as well, because some of them are going to play only in WvWvW, but if you want to mix WvWvW with PVE or sPVP you would be out of luck, or you would have to use random groups.

If you don't want to join a second guild, you can, there is no requirement to do so.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums