Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the minimum number of players to justify your presence in a MMORPG?

InterestingInteresting Member UncommonPosts: 972

What is the minimum number of players to justify your presence in a MMORPG?

At wich point, a MMORPG is not "massively" popular enough for you?

Comments

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

Are we talking about server population, or subscriber numbers?

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

I am Legend.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

If you really care about the people you're never going to see personally, then you might as well be playing Facebook games.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• hyllstarterhyllstarter Member UncommonPosts: 203

As long as there is enough people for me to do the things I enjoy in the game thats all that matters to me. I was still enjoying SWG when they closed it down and there wasnt a ton of people playing.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

What makes an MMO is how many people I can play with and how well the game encourages socializing. WoW has tons of subscribers but it feels like a singleplayer game.

Vanguard and Darkfall have a smaller user base but feel like real MMOs.

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

I'm happy with a server population of 300 concurrent online player.  If there's not enough people to play with it's a problem.

I dont' care about subscriber number, but it do need to be enough that the game will keep being updated.  I do care if the game I'm playing now is making money or not, because if they are lossing money it usually means they are cutting staff.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

The number of players  subbed or on the server is absolutely zero factor as to whether or not I will play.....In fact, I'd probably argue that most games I have really enjoyed had low pops.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

frankly i dont care if the game is a minecraft server with 5 people or a WoW server will a few million. as long as there are enough active people to complete quests that require X people to do, or an active enough chat channel to break up the boring grinding aspects of games its fine. 

when you get massive games like WoW where there is 0 contact with players and you spend 1hr++ trying to form a pug party to do 1 simple quest... thats where i draw the line. 

its not  enjoyable MMO/game if it takes me hours to get enough people to play it.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I've played some really small games with populations as low as 20 or 30 on the server at one time.  I think the community attitude is much better because for these players it is their game and they commonly help out with other players.  It's also much harder to break rules.  Antagonism isn't tolerated.

Honestly I think I prefer the smaller games.  Interesting question!

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

I'd normally say 1K players minimum (at any given time) on the whole server would make it massively enough. But community is an important thing as well.

Right now playing Vanguard again, and that's like 100-150 players at any given time, and the community is VERY GOOD. So that does make up for the lack of numbers ;)

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

1 player - me. Screw the others. If it's fun alone, I'll be happy to play it as a single player game even if it's categorized as an MMO.

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

how many does it take to fill a raid party or a battlefied/ground. Thats how many i need with some roatation. not alot, but i don't want to get rusty.

• InterestingInteresting Member UncommonPosts: 972

Interesting, most of you dont need a massive numeric amount of player to play a MMO. How odd. This tells a lot about game design for this crowd and the decline of gaming.

• spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

well really as long as it's enough when you're online. However, it's a bit more complex as with mmos everythings doing something different- so when you have that- you want more simply to find people doing the same thing as you. I think.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

OP is flattering himself I think.

The number of player isn't as important as the interaction that goes on with those players. Or in themeparks where that is not so existant, the presence of other players around you and talking on chat. That said, you can't specify a minimum for just any MMORPG because the designs can be very different. In Neocron I can get by with 30-50 people because you will likely run into them often or need their services in one of the social hubs. SWTOR needs several hundred to a thousand just to feel populated with how the planet maps are spread out and there is only 1 social hub (but of which player interacting is on a minumum). Modern MMOs by their design demand more players but often has them separated.

Stop being surprised when your polls results don't make sense.

Originally posted by Vrika

1 player - me. Screw the others. If it's fun alone, I'll be happy to play it as a single player game even if it's categorized as an MMO.

image You are making me avoid most MMORPGs. I refuse to play another Singleplayer MMO.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    It doesn't matter how many players are on a server, only how many I can interact with. I have played on a 200 person Minecraft server and had an mmorpg experience.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

Big aspect of games I play is social value.  I can sit and play the board game Monopoly with one person and get my social + for the day.  I play mmo's because I like the feel of being surrounded by real people.  But my favorite social outlet is forums.  Strangely, one of the best game communities I ever encountered was from an non-mmo, Sims 2.  It's forum community is comprised of artists, inventors, hackers, shoppers, and one rogue (me).  

• sadboysadboy Member Posts: 66

A 100 or less is fine with me might not be with the games company though. The game matters to me less so the fact that I dont see it populated by 1000's of people hanging around the level cap area towns doing nothing is of little importance.

Lower numbers usually mean server merge soon followed by free to play then possibly death though IMO

• theAsnatheAsna Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Originally posted by hyllstarter

As long as there is enough people for me to do the things I enjoy in the game thats all that matters to me.

This answer pretty much sums it up for me as well. It doesn't matter if it's 10 people or 10mio people.

Additionally the MMORPG should at least have some RPG elements and thus feel like and RPG (e.g. NPCs populating the game world as well and not always standing in the exact same spots, Non-Questgiver-NPCs which can be talked to for rumours and bits of advice/lore, etc.).

• InfearealInfeareal Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Originally posted by Interesting

Interesting, most of you dont need a massive numeric amount of player to play a MMO. How odd. This tells a lot about game design for this crowd and the decline of gaming.

It is not odd. The true MMO player only needs to have good quality social interaction. The higher the population the higher the chances are of negative interactions. Your not truly playing with 1 million other players  your going to only ever interact with a small % of the playerbase.

Alot of MMO players still come from the days of MUD'S, D&D sessions, and older MMO's. You got together with a few like minded people to have some fun cause you all have the game (or its reality) as common enjoyment. There is a lot more quality control in small numbers.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Infeareal

Alot of MMO players still come from the days of MUD'S, D&D sessions, and older MMO's. You got together with a few like minded people to have some fun cause you all have the game (or its reality) as common enjoyment. There is a lot more quality control in small numbers.

I couldn't answer the question "1500 players (prime time) or less", they just don't make that sort of game any more.

200k was the original "success" number for late 20th century MMOs.

Hard to say what feels "comfortable" exactly, there's way too many factors. 

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

i always prefer quality over quantity

if there are enough people(willing) to fill a group at any hour of the day then Im happy

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze