Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you all think will be the most played and least classes?

nomatics856nomatics856 Member UncommonPosts: 219

What do you guys think will be the most played and least played?

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

my guess would be engineer for least played.. seems many don't have the patience to learn to play them.. they also seem lowest on every large class poll I have seen

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• InfinityDInfinityD Member Posts: 33

Wild guess:

Thief > Elementalist > Warrior > Mesmer > Ranger > Guardian > Necro > Engineer

• robotchio30robotchio30 Member UncommonPosts: 16

Elementalist and Thief will be on the top of the list

Bottom of the list will be engineer

Shadow Of Apophis

elem + necro will for sure be near top and thief as well..  but who knows all the classes are so much fun to play

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Wouldn't know, don't follow what is what concerning most or least popular classes in any MMO.  But my top 5 classes I plan to play, using names from my 5 GW characters are gonna be Warrior, Mesmer, Engineer, Guardian and Ranger.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

Unless signifigant changes are made:

Elementalist for most played, hands down.

Probably Engi for least. If I rwere to arrange them...

Elementalist>Ranger>Warrior>Mesmer>Guardian>Thief>Necro>Engi

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Most - Elementalist because people are most familar with it from the original.

Least - Thief and  Warrior because they will get tired of getting pummeled in large events because meele doesn't stand a chance at close rage in large events.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

suprised people think necro would be near least played.. i remember gw1 necro was one of most popular classes

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

my guess would be engineer for least played.. seems many don't have the patience to learn to play them.. they also seem lowest on every large class poll I have seen

I woud say the same. Thought I would love the engineer but without weapon swapping they just feel limited compared to the other classes and the turrets don't make up for it in my humble....

Originally posted by Mephster

Least - Thief and  Warrior because they will get tired of getting pummeled in large events because meele doesn't stand a chance at close rage in large events.

As someone whose closest thing to a main so far is a melee mesmer...you only get pummeled if you're doing it wrong. You can't play melee like you do in WoW. More like God of War or even Arkham Asylum, where you're constantly moving and setting your enemies up how you need them to die.

I will however agree that all melee builds will suffer a bit in popularity, at least until more people understand that fact. 

• pacovpacov Member Posts: 311

You are very close minded with that statement. I know many people, including myself, that plan on playing rifle/longbow warrior or shortbow/pistol thief and never even touch melee weapons. Guardian would be in the worst case scenario, since they are even more limited than a warrior/thief

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

Option#1 (relation to sPvP):

Most Played:  Thief  (sneak around maps killing people)

Least Played: Guardian (after the nerf that had happened)

Option#2 (relation to Wx3):

Most Played:  Elementalist  (AOE and great damage from below and above walls)

Least Played: Ranger (relies heavily on pets that cannot get past walls and dies too early during mass fights)

Option#3 (relation to PvE):

Most Played: Guardian  (strong based, played above a warrior because of utilities and such)

Least Played: Warrior  (too generic, tank types are picked least and this one is behind Guardian)

Originally posted by pacov

You are very close minded with that statement. I know many people, including myself, that plan on playing rifle/longbow warrior or shortbow/pistol thief and never even touch melee weapons. Guardian would be in the worst case scenario, since they are even more limited than a warrior/thief

yea great thing about melee in this game is none are 100% melee unless you want them to be

suprised people think necro would be near least played.. i remember gw1 necro was one of most popular classes

It was, and don't get me wrong, I LOVED my Necro. But the pets in GW2 just don't feel as strong or as fun, and people are looking at Necro and Ele side-by-side and going "Why aren't I picking the class that spams meteors all day, again?"

Originally posted by terrant

It was, and don't get me wrong, I LOVED my Necro. But the pets in GW2 just don't feel as strong or as fun, and people are looking at Necro and Ele side-by-side and going "Why aren't I picking the class that spams meteors all day, again?"

yea see your point pets so far have felt somewhat lackluster in comparison to gw1, hopefully they see this and fix it some by launch

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Its the fact that it will take players quite awhile to get used to the dodge and roll mechanic. You can't just simply ask players to switch the way they have been playing Guild Wars for the past 5+ years and expect them to learn a new combat system so quickly. Not to mention when large events scale upward meele becomes super squishy. Its a fact, you get hit hard and it only takes a few more hits before you are looking for someone to revive you on a consistent basis. Some will catch on and I bet most will not.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

most played will be classes that go invisible and the ones with the most CC. the 2 crutchs everybody needs in todays MMOs.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Elementalist > Warrior (gaining popularity due to being a pubstomp profession) > Thief (losing a lot of popularity due to being underpowered at the moment) > Ranger > Guardian > Necromancer > Mesmer (a lot of people find them underwhelming at the moment, though I think they are fine) > Engineer

Engineer is a very obvious contender for least played.  I guess people just don't like that profession's style.

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

I have only played Guardian, Theif, Necro and Engineer so far. My least favorite is the Engineer (as it feels odd to play it most of the time). So much focus on utility skills and not many weapon choices.

The whole melee vs. ranged argument seems a little silly though ... all classes can perform ranged combat. And the Guardian is supposedly getting changes to give them a long range option with it's scepter or staff most likely.

Also, melee damage is considerably higher than ranged from what I have played. There are probably a lot of changes coming down the pipe, but I definitely don't feel melee is out of the fight yet (except in huge zerg vs. zerg PvP).

I would probably guess Engineer or Mesmer will be the least played. I want to try Mesmer next BWE and see how it feels, but it seems most feel it is underwhelming at the moment.

My first 5 characters are going to be Guardian, Theif, Warrior, Ranger and Elementalist ... might change depending on how I feel about them between now and launch.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

Don't just play melee range if you play melee, mix it up with your ranged. Get in, stabby stabby dip out, switch weapon shoot and circle. 

flank your enemy in gw2 they have to turn around they don't magic 180, circle in the direction they are turning to maintain the back position. When they finally do catch up to you dodge switch etc....

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Guardian in WvW has a good chance to be least played. No ranged attack options or limited ranged options is suicide in WvW. Unless you like being a buff not/ field shield maker.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

And most of the polls I've seen show Necro in the top 3.

I think most popular will be Ele.

Least may be Engineer, at least until people start to get the hang of it and show what it can do.

My top 2 are Necro and Ranger.  Bottom 2 for me are Engineer (very last) and Guardian.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Errrr.......but cant a warrior just use a bow?  Cant a thief just use their guns? 

Are their ranged abilities not enough or something in those kinds of situations?

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

If this thread is any indication...

An Engineer I'll be playing then.image

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Its the fact that it will take players quite awhile to get used to the dodge and roll mechanic. You can't just simply ask players to switch the way they have been playing Guild Wars for the past 5+ years and expect them to learn a new combat system so quickly. Not to mention when large events scale upward meele becomes super squishy. Its a fact, you get hit hard and it only takes a few more hits before you are looking for someone to revive you on a consistent basis. Some will catch on and I bet most will not.

Unless they change it I actually found Thief to be pretty easy to be effective in WvWvW.  Just a matter of, like you said, getting used to the dodge function.  It's also a matter of knowing that you need to use ranged, jump in for some quick but effective melee, dodge back out and hit with ranged again.  Rinse (heal!) and repeat.  Maybe I'm just one of the "some" that will catch on, but it's not that difficult if you take the time to learn what you're doing first.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!