Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ouya: A New Console For Under $100

2»

Comments

• Grey950Grey950 Member UncommonPosts: 65

This looks really interesting, but there's always that looming cloud of whether or not major developers will throw their hat in the pile.  That's not to say indie titles can't provide a lot of enjoyment, but many console gamers are also invested in their favorite titles and series games and that would make them hard-pressed to want to change platforms just to support "a cool idea".

A multi-game MMORPG community
    http://www.impact-gaming.us/
  • FailtrainFailtrain Member Posts: 129
    Originally posted by Epic1oots

cool... $100 new console.... but when it all comes down to it, is what are the games?? I dont care if its 50$ console if all im playing is some Tetris game.

I wouldn't mind that at all ;D

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by Drekker17
    I'm just wondering who is going to buy the thing. PC gamers already have the king of indie platforms, console gamers don't care as much about indie and already get better indie games than ios/android, if they want to play those games they'll just play on their phones. Ios people will unlikely buy it. It leaves only android gamers...and I don't think they care so much to play on TV. I'm positive the Ouya won't sell well in the beginning because gamers, casual and hardcore, won't see its value...but if it can get good games on it over time (ultimately the biggest factor)...it might do ok. Hopefully the devs are thinking with that mentality.

3 million pledged isnt that bad SO there goes youur theory out the window

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Seems more then unrealistic, and like the developers would be far and few with just ports/next to no popular titles..

Reading through their kickstarter page, it's more like they just want people to play pc/mobile games on their tv's....

• charlespaynecharlespayne Member UncommonPosts: 381

This just shows that android was the best creation any company could have thought of.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

yah this is gonna work

signed Neo-Geo, Atari-Jaguar, Turbo-Grafx, Dreamcast

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Well the hardware specs look like a top end mobile :) infact thinking about it my HT one X is probally more powerfull than my PC was 4 years ago LOL.. so could it be a good dedicated games console?

I dont see why not the android OS is very capable and takes very little resources to run, there are tons of gamse already available on it and not all are casual boring mobile games.. With big game engines like Unreal and Unity easily available for game development on the android platform im pretty sure we could see some really nice games..

Dont get me wrong i mean sure its not designed to be a competitor to the current generation of consoles or the next but it will be cheap and im pretty sure the games wil be cheap as well..

I could see this selling quite well if they manage to pull it off.

Its not somthing i would buy as im really only a pc gamer but i can see a lot of people who would want it :)

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384
    Originally posted by Xzen

I think getting into consoles is a mistake. I think slowly we are going to see console making companies merging until you only have 1 console and everyone just developes games and apps for said console.

keep dreaming.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Originally posted by warmaster670
    Originally posted by Xzen

I think getting into consoles is a mistake. I think slowly we are going to see console making companies merging until you only have 1 console and everyone just developes games and apps for said console.

keep dreaming.

Dunno, smart tv's are on the brink. Digital delivery turns things more into services than products.

There's a good critique/crystal ball work via gamasutra article on this Ouya:

OUYA, the Android console - naivete at work?

Worth a read!!

I hope it's successful - open console platform - thank you.

Suspect KS will be 2nd funding cycle before VC's/AI's etc are rolled in to make this get off the ground. Still with Mr. Garriot's predictions re social games, who knows?

• BelarionBelarion Member Posts: 570

Bahahahaha All your moneys are belong to us!

I love snails.
    I love every kinda snail.
    I just want to hug them all, but I cant.
    Cant hug every snail.

• Iced0verIced0ver Member Posts: 49

Only a gig of ram? Prepare for lots of loading, and poor performance. I can't imagine trying to load and play games, while streaming twitch.tv, and playing at 1080p.  Yes, it might have a quad core, but a gig isn't going to let the quad work completely. And only 8 gigs of space? Hopefully it will have some kind of sd card slot? Going to have like 2 games MAYBE on there, unless they are just going to be short games like on the phone. Why would I want that?

I'm highly skeptical, I think it's probably going to be a flop.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Iced0ver
    Only a gig of ram? Prepare for lots of loading, and poor performance. I can't imagine trying to load and play games, while streaming twitch.tv, and playing at 1080p.  Yes, it might have a quad core, but a gig isn't going to let the quad work completely. And only 8 gigs of space? Hopefully it will have some kind of sd card slot? Going to have like 2 games MAYBE on there, unless they are just going to be short games like on the phone. Why would I want that?I'm highly skeptical, I think it's probably going to be a flop.

There's going to be tradeoffs. You're not going to get the Crytek 3 engine to run on that platform. You don't need to though. The Nintendo Wii still outsells the PS3 and the XBox 360 and it doesn't need to red ring systems to sell more of them. The Wii also has a lot less horsepower than either of those systems. The Wii's best resolution is 480p and it still outsells the other systems.

Though, to be honest, I expect what will happen is these Android 'consoles' will eventually get built into televisions, blue-ray players or they'll just be our cell phones that we drop in a cradle near the television. I don't think their competition is existing or new consoles but the ability to stick an Android device almost anywhere.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• TeikkTeikk Member Posts: 70

Well we just broek the 4 mil mark which is only a little over 4 times what they were looking for to begin with and still 27 days to go!

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

saw this a few days ago....
    Very interesting, but I see some legal issues with giving all the game away for free

and if you wondering with type of game there will be on the console u should look here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBl-goBrWno&feature=relmfu

its the processor who is inside the ouya

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• AticusWellesAticusWelles Member Posts: 152
    They aren't giving all the games away for free, all games have to offer a free to play portion.

Its no different than the f2p model that's so popular in the MMO and mobile phone/tablet market.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246
    Originally posted by Belarion

Bahahahaha All your moneys are belong to us!

It'd be funny as hell if it was all a scam.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• TeikkTeikk Member Posts: 70

So the momentum has slowed down a bit in the past day or so. Were only up to about 4.5 mil  and 35k donaters not to bad for just 4 days. Man i need to come up with a idea scam as good as this lol.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Looks like a big droid to me.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by Teikk

Man i need to come up with a idea scam as good as this lol.

Any kind of documentary that will attract so much negative attention that your proponents will throw huge lumps of money at you just to counter-balance that hate.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106
    Originally posted by mackdawg19

The reason they can build this system for $100 bucks is the same reason google can sell there Nexus 7 for $199. It runs on the new tegra 3 proccesor which was designed to be low cost. And no, i don't mean the tegra 3 proccessor thats inside the transformer prime. Nvidia came out with a new low cost platform which makes it cheaper to build budget tablets with a bang. And the GPU inside this console will be the 12 core GPU that Nvidia made. All in all, this is a quality console. ANd just a heads up, mobile gaming has advanced at such a rate, that its almost up to par with the likes of consoles.

Its nowhere near up to par. Unless you are comparing old consoles or the nintendo ds (Final Fantasy for instance). And don't even mention Infinity Blade 1 or 2. Regardless of its very limited gameplay, the graphics aren't that great when compared to a console. Furthermore they are only that nice because there is barely anything going on. Its kind of like the old sports games when audiences/fans would be standing still. Then they progressed to being 2d spirtes with 2 alternate animations and so on and so on. 

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367

8GB storage WITHOUT even SD slot, not many larger games at one time...

Still, couple millions might sound like lot of money, but under 100k consoles isn't a lot. Not sure if it is worth devs time to make games for this. And does it reach the amount of sold consoles to people who buy stuff and not just use it as stream or emulator box is a big question...

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    OK... I keep reading more and more about this project. Having read about 5 different speculative articles, and the development team's responses to questions, I am going to come out and say what some of us might already be thinking. There are two possibilities here. #1 - The dev team is really naive and their project will flop because of it. More likely is #2- they are going to take the cash and bolt off to Mexico. There is no third option. This thing will be a complete disaster.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• UristMcDwarfUristMcDwarf Member UncommonPosts: 111

"Favorite games debut on the TV! Such as Joust, Galaga.. and everyone's favorite - Dig Dug!"

Currently Playing:
    nothing :(