Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DayZ: Live Stream Q&A with 'Rocket' -- Give Us Your Questions!

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Our very own Hillary 'Pokket' Nicole will be conducting a live stream play session and interview with DayZ creator Dean 'Rocket' Hall next Thursday, July 19th and we're looking to get you involved!

If you have a question (or questions!) for Rocket about DayZ leave 'em with us in the comments below. You never know, we may select yours during the session!

Comments

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Personally, I found other survivors way more dangerous than any zombie I encountered when I was playing (I haven't played in a few weeks+ however).  I think some other people will agree with me.  Was this something that was foreseen? The game to me at times is almost a social experiment, was the mod ever thought of in that light during development?

Also, when can we expect a standalone version to be published by Bohemia and what about compatibility with Arma 3? Will it even be compatible? I think I read the dev saying at one point it could be easily ported over, just curious. Probably can't answer those, but worth a shot :D

• "next Thursday, July 16th"   huh?

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

1. In what rural area, country , do you NOT find the average joe with a handgun? Is this a cultural  difference, because here in the states ...I've only met City folks who don't own a gun. ( Most not in the city, own many guns )

2. When are you going to drop the Hive server? The reason I ask  is because this Mod could literally explode ala Minecraft if you would let server owners operate their own Server and cut this Hive nonsense.

3. When are going to going to penalize Bandits for killing new spawns? The "this is an anti-game" response doesn't cut it when people are forking over cash for Arma2+Expansion to play the mod. How about an invunerability timer for the first week of play for an hour or two upon respawn for "new" players? How about getting rid of the Hive system and letting server owners police their own servers to snuff this mess out?

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Would it be possible to add an option where upon death the player can reanimate as a zombie and play that way until perma killed. At which point they would respawn as the starter human?

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by Daddydazzle

"next Thursday, July 16th"   huh?

Typo! Sorry. Fixed. :)

• xtrememonkxtrememonk Member Posts: 1

1) Are you going to make it easier to party or play with friends? At the moment it hard to find each other when you want to play together.

2) Are you thinking off adding any new features? 

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Are there any intentions to add incentive for other criminals to band form warbands or a form of coalition?

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• Originally posted by MikeB
    Originally posted by Daddydazzle

"next Thursday, July 16th"   huh?

Typo! Sorry. Fixed. :)

you the man, thanks Mike. and thanks for finally getting some news on this game. hard to ignore with the population growth it has i guess :)

• cwliiascwliias Member UncommonPosts: 31

When you realse a stand alone, WHICH YOU BETTER, are you going to get rid of the crap arma2 GUI and button layout

• NotoriousXNotoriousX Member UncommonPosts: 197

why dont they give us a hatchet or a knife when we spawn, to be able to defend our selfs against zombies at least till we find something better to use? I like the game either way but i think a simple weapon...not a gun , would make start just a bit easier

Tormented echoes of a fallen Eden
    I longed for her beauty
    Yet from dust, she returned
    The dream, an enigma.... silent

• GrabblerGrabbler Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Originally posted by Worstluck

Personally, I found other survivors way more dangerous than any zombie I encountered when I was playing (I haven't played in a few weeks+ however).  I think some other people will agree with me.

Agreed! The only time zombies are something to fear is right after spawning in with bare hands. As soon as you find your first hatchet, zombies are just annoying sidekick while your farming better gear to stand a chance against your next PvP encounter. I know this is discussed alot, if DayZ is nothing else then a Deathmatch mod in a zombie coat, but what else can you actually do (until now)?!

So, are there any thoughts to get some long term action into the game? AKA building "real" citys rather then just setting up tent by tent?

Right now there is no need to coop with other players, because you can easily take a whole zombie village by storm. Anything coming that will encourage more coop action?

• DEXA88DEXA88 Member UncommonPosts: 175

Only problem with this game that it dosent work with the free version of ARMA.

• evolpcevolpc Member UncommonPosts: 75

DayZ has been a great proof of concept, showing real interest from gamers for a MMO of this nature. Have you seen any interest from publishers or investors as far as a stand alone game project based on this concept?

• Originally posted by evolpc

DayZ has been a great proof of concept, showing real interest from gamers for a MMO of this nature. Have you seen any interest from publishers or investors as far as a stand alone game project based on this concept?

he's had a lot of people hitting him up about it. he was actually just talking about it yesterday on the interview at gamebreaker. link HERE if you're interested.

few things i liked from the interview: wants to be able to build underground, and wants security systems for the underground compounds. thinks DayZ can be stand alone by the end of the year

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

What plans do you have for the expansion of clan or party functionalities, specifically regarding group spawning, broadening construction, or finding new ways to make players more reliant upon one another?

One of the most common complaints I've been witness seems to focus upon the "zeds" or "infected" being capable of walking through walls, or clipping through objects. Is it true that a flaw with the engine's AI is what causes this, and is this something that's actively being fixed?

There's a debate amongst fans on the official DayZ message board regarding the state of the hostile NPC's in the mod. Some say they're infected humans, still technically alive though carrying some form of disease, and others classify them as specifically undead, zombies, or zeds in the more traditional sense. Where do you side on the subject?

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

this guy should take DayZ and find an engine that doesn't suck and make it so you don't have to buy a horrible game in order to play it. (I would be playing DayZ if i didn't have to buy Arma)

I am sure with the popularity of this game someone out there would be willing to help the developer.

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369

Question:

Is there any chance that you Will increase the distance that zombies spawn?

Currently i can tell if any people are running about in towns without actully seeing them just by watching wether zombies are spawned in the town hundreds of meters away.

• Question: you've talked before about wanting to expand the crafting system at some point. what ideas did you have in mind?

Question: in the recent gamebreaker interview you talked about wanting to expanding the game to include building compounds under ground. is this something that we would be trying out in the current Alpha or something that would come out for stand alone?

Question: you stated in the recent gamebreaker interview that you believe DayZ can be stand alone by the end of the year. what are the major issues holding this back, and what are some things the players can do to speed things up?

Question: you've agreed that there is an issue with "end game" and reasons to group up so the game isn't just a large deathmatch. what kind of ideas did you and the team have in mind, and how soon can we see those features implemented into the current game?

Question: a lot of players are conserned that with the growing popularity of DayZ and the increased number of interviews, you may be having less time to work on the mod. do you still have enough time in a day to work on DayZ and are you feeling at all burnt out? Are you starting to take on more staff/volunteers?

Question: you have the right idea about Alpha being a place to test ideas. what are some recent ideas we will be testing in the upcoming weeks/months? (what can we look forward to testing?)

Question: will the stand alone be a product of Bohemia, or will the project be under a different studio, or your own studio?

• LyngsLyngs Member Posts: 7

Hi Rocket,

Dont let the corporate vultures take over. Stay true to your vision! Give us back the sandbox!

<3   

• Question: since a majority of the buildings/homes are closed off, are we going to be allowed inside more of the buildings before the stand alone is released? if so, will there be more spawn points added, or spawn points spread out more?

Question: are there any plans to add anymore new items in game anytime soon? and if so, what kind?
  • ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,077

So many people seem to be playing this. Im interested but I hear it's a pain to install?

• EkohOneEkohOne Member Posts: 23
    Are you looking to make money off this game or just provide a game to a niche market? This game would make much more sense if you catered to a more broad market. Such as pve coop players who want to team up with friends and scavenge and survive. Not having to worry about bandits. Maybe bandit npcs? Bigger player base = more money. I more money = more development funds. I can't think of one hard core pvp only game that is a front runner in the limelight in the long run.
  • Originally posted by Valentina

So many people seem to be playing this. Im interested but I hear it's a pain to install?

some people have issues with the install (like myself), but others get it up and running with no issues. i actually had a few different problems, but all the answers were found on the forums. compared to most installs where you just press install and you're up and running, this one does look a bit more complecated to some people. once you're in your first few tries of the game, it all becomes worth it.

perma death, paranoia, scavanging or hunt for food, having to eat/drink to survive, have to watch your body temp, repair and opperate vehicles (atv, boats, helicoptors, etc),  etc, etc, etc... it's a pretty sick concept. dude just seems to want to make the game as real as he can. it gets better with almost every patch imo.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Do not get rid of the hive servers... that would be a bad move..

Part the pull of the game for most people is the fact the game is persistant accross all servers.. Do not get rid of this..

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

;DEXA88 

This mod does indeed (or did - haven't played for a while) work with Arma II Free.

You need the Chernarus map from either Arma II or the free version, and the game engine from Operation Arrowhead which can be picked up on Steam for around £11.

http://kodabar.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/how-to-install-dayz-with-arma-2-free.html

Ok, it's not totally free, but it's the most fun I ever had for the price of a pizza and a beer.