Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TSW vs TERA - A poll about combat...WAIT WHAT?!?

marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912

This poll is strictly about TSW vs TERA, the combat and what you'd rather be playing between the two because of it. The combat in TERA received good reviews for the most part (yes there were some that didn't like it, but most did). To all those complaining about combat in TSW and if you've tried TERA at any point, which of the two games would you prefer to be playing?

I personally tried TERA in beta and although the combat was refreshing, that was the oONLY thing refreshing about the game. It wasn't enough for me to purchase and subscribe to the game. TERA to me was boring because of the same old questing as in every other MMO with new combat. Go kill 10 rats quests over and over and over....I uninstalled and never looked back.

Although I don't mind the combat in TSW, I do agree it needs some work, but if I had to choose between these two games, I would pick TSW hands down. The combat may be lacking but the game itself is much better then TERA imo. So again, I ask you, to those that tried TERA and are complaining about combat in TSW, if you HAD to make a choice between the two, which one would you rather be playing if you HAD to choose between only these two and why.

The point I'm trying to make here is that combat doesn't make a game.

Comments

• XithrylXithryl Member UncommonPosts: 256

Wow I'm surprised at the results of this poll, I personally prefer TSW, but I do like the combat in Tera more... Id much rather be playing GW2 though....

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Originally posted by XiThRyL

Wow I'm surprised at the results of this poll, I personally prefer TSW, but I do like the combat in Tera more... Id much rather be playing GW2 though....

Not an option, please read the original post and why.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

Why do we need to have a fight between the 2 games? I like TERA's conbat more. I like TSW more overall. I like both game however, as well as GW2.

This thread is going to cause unncessary amounts of flames.

• XPraetorianXXPraetorianX Member CommonPosts: 107

I thought Tera had better combat. It just felt like eating candy every day for evey meal. It was so shallow. Its not to say it was a bad game thats just the feel I got from it. I have played GW2 for every beta I think Teras combat beats that as well. Combat in Tera IMO is better then any mmo I have ever played. That said the voice acting was so LOL and quest where mind numbingly tedious.

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973
    Originally posted by marz.at.play

This poll is strictly about TSW vs TERA, the combat and what you'd rather be playing between the two because of it.

The point I'm trying to make here is that combat doesn't make a game.

The only reasonable answer I can give is neither, but I might ask why you are limiting this to combat, when your pick is made despite combat.

This thread is indeed flame/troll bait.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

Why do we need to have a fight between the 2 games? I like TERA's conbat more. I like TSW more overall. I like both game however, as well as GW2.

This thread is going to cause unncessary amounts of flames.

The point isn't to start flames, the point is that combat doesn't make the game.

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

Im currently not playing either but based off of both of their BWEs i would play TSW hands down..

I liked teras combat system better but TSW wins with story, questing and atmosphere..

Playing GW2..

• MeliezaMelieza Member Posts: 269

Combat is definitely not everything.

I thought TERA was going to be cool....and then I played it.  They literally took everything from Aion (the quest icons and UI EXACTLY!) and just changed the combat.  All the quests are kill x and fetch y with no story or purpose.  I felt like I was playing Aion but rolling around during battle.

TSW is worlds better than TERA.  There is just no comparison.  TSW actually is enjoyable to play, its not a grind at any point, and is overall a higher quality game and experience.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

You posted the poll in a TSW forum, what results did you expect? Even though I found TERA combat more engaging, I still prefer TSW as a game more.

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973
    Originally posted by XPraetorianX

I thought Tera had better combat. It just felt like eating candy every day for evey meal. It was so shallow. Its not to say it was a bad game thats just the feel I got from it. I have played GW2 for every beta I think Teras combat beats that as well. Combat in Tera IMO is better then any mmo I have ever played. That said the voice acting was so LOL and quest where mind numbingly tedious.

Just a question, when comparing TERA to GW2 (and TSW, for that matter), are you including the underlying mechanics of buffs, debuffs, classes, roles, and how you spec you character?

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Combat isn't everything, it's just a really big thing.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

no doubt TSW. TERA only good thing is the combat (of some classes)  and the graphics of world (bad that mobs are terrible, IMO dont make any sense most of mobs on Tera world, they just dont fit).

Tera is basically a WoW game with good combat and better graphics the rest is in fact much worse compared with WoW. 

Originally posted by nate1980

You posted the poll in a TSW forum, what results did you expect? Even though I found TERA combat more engaging, I still prefer TSW as a game more.

TBH this was directed at the TSW gamers that tried or are still playing TSW and quit or will be quiting because of the combat. It's silly to quit a game if the only problem you find with it is combat. No game will have everything you're lookign for...no not even GW2.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Tera

I find Tera also a better game overall, it might have the usual boring questing system, but it is more group friendly than TSW which for me is just an Online RPG not a MMORPG.

The same people who find TSW amazing will change their mind in a couple of month time once they run out of stories/content, like it happened with SWTOR.

At the start everyone was loving SWTOR now as if by magic everyone is avoiding it like the plague (apparently SWTOR fanboys never existed).

Tera is not innovative, it is not ground, breaking, but if you like to play in groups (like you should do in MMORPGs) it is a far better product than TSW, which is designed for soloers.

GW2 is better than both though.

Originally posted by ste2000

Tera

I find Tera also a better game overall, it might have the usual boring questing system, but it is more group friendly than TSW which for me is just an Online RPG not a MMORPG.

The same people who find TSW amazing will change their mind in a couple of month time once they run out of stories/content, like it happened with SWTOR.

At the start everyone was loving SWTOR now as if by magic everyone is avoiding like the plague.

Tera is not innovative, it is not ground, breaking, but if you like to play in groups (like you should do in MMORPGs) it is a far better product than TSW, which is designed for soloers.

Huh? What does TERA offer for groups that TSW doesn't?

Honestly, i do find TSW a to be an mmorpg with lots of single player elements, but TERA is another solo friendly mmo with co-op and some multyplayer elements, like all themeparks today, including GW2

Originally posted by grimm6th
    Originally posted by XPraetorianX

Just a question, when comparing TERA to GW2 (and TSW, for that matter), are you including the underlying mechanics of buffs, debuffs, classes, roles, and how you spec you character?

No just the mechanics of control in respect to the combat. GW2 is very in depth and so is TSW as far as choices go for specs. Dont get me wrong I am a GW2 fan boy and ill admit it lol. TSW on the other hand took me by surprise one of my co-workers in the IT department put me on to it. I never even did a beta event for it. The feel of combat however is very percise in Tera. Teras combat wins IMO for what ever thats worth lol. The poll question though was what would you rather play. I choose TSW. Tera charged me even after I cancelled they are a mess at En mase.

Tera

At the start everyone was loving SWTOR now as if by magic everyone is avoiding like the plague.

Honestly, i do find TSW a to be an mmorpg with lots of single player elements, but TERA is another solo friendly mmo with co-op and some multyplayer elements, like all themeparks today, including GW2

There is a TON of group content in TSW. If it wasnt for my guild the game would be less fun cause there is no LFG tool. I never roll solo for the most part. There are some solo instances but the game is in no way soloable not any less soloable then Tera any way. I mean Tera my Lancer was farming BAMS easy mode.

Tera

Dungeons, BAMs............and boring quests, which push you to do Dungeons and BAMs, which I find more entertaining than any storyline, that's why I play MMOs.

When I feel like I want a good story, I play a single player RPG.

With TSW is just about your story, nobody cares to do too much group content, it is about the storyline and the quests, which requires very little help from others, therefore people tend to play on their own.

I am not saying TSW doesn't have group content, just that the gameplay doesn't incentivate to group.

As I said, once the story content runs out, you ll realise there is nothing really entertaining abourt TSW.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

I understand your point and yes, overall I would pick TSW even though combat in Tera is far superior. 

This should have been moved to the pub though. TSW forums will be of course....biased

• JonnyBigBossJonnyBigBoss Member UncommonPosts: 702

TERA by miles. The combat in TSW is the worst I've experienced in years.

Tera

Dungeons, BAMs............and boring quests, which push you to do Dungeons and BAMs, which I find more entertaining than any storyline, that's why I play MMOs.

With TSW is just about your story, nobody cares to do too much group content, it is about the storyline and the quests, which requires very little help from others, therefore people tend to play on their own.

I am not saying TSW doesn't have group content, just that the gameplay doesn't incentivate to group.

As I said, once the story content runs out, you ll realise there is nothing really entertaining abourt TSW.

You have dungeons for 5 man and lair bosses for 10 man in TSW.

i understand your point of solo/story/etc and also why i feel it as a more single player feeling than most mmos, however, i've seen some streams of players grouping up and working together. Many people here have said the same. Also, if by grouping you mean people who know each other and only play with RL friends and family, that happens in any mmo. I don't see this mmo, group oriented content in TERA more than TSW. If you wnat to group, go to a lower QL area and help someone out of frienship, team up and do content. That goes for both games.

Finally, can i simply know what you're going to do when you're max level in TERA, have finished all the quests and dungeons? PVP? Got that in TSW. Level an alt? Level a different weapon in TSW.

You speak of story content like themeparks aren't finite. All dev driven mmorpgs are "story driven" because there's an end to it, or better yet, to the main bulk of the content. Only pvp, side activities, farming, etc remain in any of them. Until updates of course.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I hate to say it but i can't really asnwer the poll.

Combat wise Tera

Atmosphere, story wise/puzzles, good quests TSW.

Which is why I have subs to both.

In my eyes, regardless of the fact there is combat in TSW, I don't feel TSW is "about" combat.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MishakaiMishakai Member Posts: 105

I not only prefer TSW as a game overall, I like the combat better than TERA as well.  

There is no differentiation in TERA.  A warrior is a warrior, a lancer is a lancer.  They all have the same moves, same weapons, same outfits etc...  Glyphs help shift the focus of the class, but really don't do much to the overall playstyle of the class.  Warriors still avoid dmg, lancers still soak dmg etc...

TSW..  Even if two people have the same weapons equipped it is possible for them to have completely different playstyles and use completely different skills.

There is no comparison IMO.  TSW blows TERA out of the water, and most other games currently offered for that matter.

Tera

You have dungeons for 5 man and lair bosses for 10 man in TSW.

I know, but that's my point.

Dungeons and group content is not fun in TSW due to its dull combat.

Tera on the other hand, with its fun combat make dungeons and group an enjoyable experience.

What I am saying is that once TSW story runs out, players will be left with group content which due to the arcaic combat will put lots of people off the game, while Tera don't have any "make up" on (storyline) to cover the game weakness.

I find AoC a far better game than TSW.

TSW story + AOC combat = great MMO

Unfortunately as it is TSW has a very short life span.

• unfetteredunfettered Member Posts: 93

not gonna lie, TERA's combat mechanic is better. virtually everything else(maybe except the guild system) is better in TSW.