Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do you play MMOs at release?

TafaleTafale Member UncommonPosts: 37

I'm genuinly interested in reasons for it.

TSW just released but I've no interest in it before significant improvements are made, so maybe in three months from now. Nor will I get GW2, etc at release.

Comments

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

I don't.  I refuse to play *ANY* game until it's been in the "wild" for at least 6 months.  I don't play beta, I don't play at release.  Fix your game first, then we'll talk.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Because it's fun.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Many reasons but my number one issue is I have no patience in waiting for games to "polish or add content".  I play lots of games and more than one game at a time, so I like to get em at launch, play em to cap and see if the game is deep enough or fun enough to keep me after that first character or trip to endgame.   I just don't like waiting, basically.  Lines suck and so does waiting for a game to release.  Just like I hate when my favorite tv show ends for the season.  I really hate that.  

I know, I know, they need that break time to write more, develop more, film more content to keep it going.  Doesn't matter,  I hate to wait.  UNLESS, there was enough similar content out there in other games to hold me over, which there never seems to be.  Stupid companies all release their content at the same time, it seems.  So annoying.

Another thing I like about playing at launch is seeing how the game grows from the very beginning and being a part of it's changes and evolution.  I love the development progression factor of MMOs that no other game type can match.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

I don't buy any game at release because it's not worth it. MMORPG are all problematic at launch, it's always like that.

I think many players want to be there at launch to not be left behind, however, in mmorpgs nowadays, since 90% of the content is aimed at solo, with the rest at 5 or 10 man groups, it's not hard to find people to do stuff with.

Also, price drops. Makes my life alot cheaper. I ahve patience.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

First, I despise leveling, I hate, hate, hate having to level so I want to get it over with quickly.

I like to play from release to get to max level as fast as possible. I don't plays alts very much, I usually have a main character and a crafter. I usually go farming for gold and items once I'm max level to afford all the crap I need for myself, my hubby, and our son. If the game is pvp oriented I rush to max level so that I can start farming stuff I need to compete.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Because it's fun.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Chance to make use all of the exploits before they are fixed. image

...or just because there's more people and don't have to catchup to anybody.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• SkullyWoodsSkullyWoods Member Posts: 183

I like getting steals in the AH before prices sky rocket. And cause I'm impatient. mmo's will always have something that needs fixing. Not gonna wait around for months just for a few less imperfections.

#TeamVainlash
    Why did Marceline's dad eat her fries? I mean...cause she bought them and they were hers...

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

If I like a game I just like it. No amount of polish or fixes will make that much difference to me by the time it launches so I may as well get it now.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

GW2 is my first "play at release" game.  The reason I've pre-purchased and will play at release is a) I loved GW1 and have been excited about GW2 for quite a while now, b) based on the BWEs of GW2, my experience anyway, it looks like the game will be well polished even at release.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I keep saying I won't do it anymore, but I rarely hold out more than a month or two post launch before joining in.

Why? Because I keep looking for "the one."

You know, that magic, mythical MMORPG that I'll fall in love with and never want to play another game again (or at least for 2-3 years)

And low and behold, every new title that launches there are people claiming it is in fact, the most amazing thing on earth, (yes, I know, there's an equal number of naysayers) so I just have to go check it out for myself and see if they are correct.

Sadly, they never are, (well, not since EVE about 5 or so years ago) and I keep searching.

One day, one day, I just know it, it's just over the hill in the next MMORPG.  image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

More people, the atmosphere is more alive.

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

The big reason is I have nothing to play atm and I want to play some MMORPG.  That was the reason I play MMO at release.

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

To get in on all of the various dynamics that occur with a new game.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Because I like to figure things out before there is a wiki on it.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Usually don't unless I'm really enthralled by the game in a beta event or such and really am havign too much fun to care about lack of polish or content in earlier months. Plus it's quite an experience when everyone is leveling with you and the entire world is alive with everyone checking out all the activities and such, don't get to experience that much later on. 

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

Well if I want something and I can afford it I buy it. Waiting for a better price or an improved version is a double edged sword. 

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Cephus404

I don't.  I refuse to play *ANY* game until it's been in the "wild" for at least 6 months.  I don't play beta, I don't play at release.  Fix your game first, then we'll talk.

Generally I agree.  The problem is the games released in the past few years become ghost towns by month 6.  They're hitting their peak at month 2 then fall off a cliff.

If you like playing in groups (which is why I play mmorpg's), it's probably best to play while there are still other players around.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287

Generally agree with what everyone else has said. I usually avoid MMORPGs at release, but gave in for TERA (regretted it and unsubscribed half a month later) and am definitely giving in for GW2 (it's more than polished enough as is, and there's no sub, so it's all good).

Developers are releasing games half-finished at best, and taking advantage of early adopters, people who want to be max level and beat all the nonexistent content before everyone else.

Big whoop.

• HellSingsHellSings Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by Tafale

I'm genuinly interested in reasons for it.

TSW just released but I've no interest in it before significant improvements are made, so maybe in three months from now. Nor will I get GW2, etc at release.

I do my research and know what I'm getting into. If its a game I want to play, I get it. Otherwise I move on, I don't believe in waiting for games to 'get better'. Its a simple Yes or No for me.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I just get in at launch and will never put a game off just because it's new. Maybe I'm not worried about wasting my money or whatever (I'm definately not rich) or maybe it's just because I'm a certain type of gamer. Even if a game does happen to be a bit worse at launch I'm still having plenty fun, I love games and I can ignore many many problems... especially during the leveling process (which i don't rush). Lots of downtime? I don't mind, I've literally got over 50 single player games (old and new) I've yet to play properly so I don't mind a break from MMOs, even if they are forced.

There was only one game where the launch destroyed the game for me and that was Anarchy Online. It didn't bother me much though, I just didn't sub and went back later, I already had my account set up so I didn't lose much really. All the other games that were considered especially bad, including D3, AoC, Vanguard etc. hardly bothered me at all. I might just have more patience, who knows.. or maybe I've just been lucky.

But there's my reason.. all games are fun when they are something new even if they have a few problems, for me. Launches are fun, whether or not you buy the box (or pay the box price) straight away or 3 months after doesn't matter, you still have to do it. With GW2 being BTP I really can't see the point of avoiding launch if you intend to buy it later anyway, unless you are waiting for the price to drop. I think those who avoid launches are actually missing out, they are a social event in themselves and that alone makes it more fun.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Because it's a "nightclub mentality".

They are only cool in the first month or so of business, then everyone walks from it to the next big thing, all the while bragging that "yeah, I was there back when it was cool".

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• AqueAque Member Posts: 118
    Originally posted by Axehilt

Because it's fun.

All that needs to be said^

• rissiesrissies Member Posts: 161
    Because I want to play the game. I don't need it to have everything perfect, I just need it to be fun.