Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: First Monthly Update Detailed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Eurogamer has scored brand new information about the forthcoming monthly update for The Secret World. There are big changes in store including a new player marketplace and new construction in faction hubs.

Seven new missions and a marketplace will be added.

The Ankh and Hell Fallen dungeons will be unlocked for Nightmare Mode play, meanwhile, offering increased challenges but higher rewards.

Read the full article at Eurogamer.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AthisioAthisio Member Posts: 72

is that screen from aoc? it seems familiar....

• ShubawkssShubawkss Member Posts: 55

Both games use the same Engine - Dreamworld or something of that nature - very nice, high poly count and high resolution textures. However, I believe this screenshot is from Kingsmouth or Savage Coast, the first or second zone in the game.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811
    Originally posted by Shubawkss

Both games use the same Engine - Dreamworld or something of that nature - very nice, high poly count and high resolution textures. However, I believe this screenshot is from Kingsmouth or Savage Coast, the first or second zone in the game.

I am guessing it's from Hell Fallen - or one of the other "dungeons"

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I like the sound of the new content.. i really hope they can keep it up every month...

Saying that im not even out of the savage coast yet hehe :)

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Originally posted by Athisio

is that screen from aoc? it seems familiar....

It is from the darkness war instance in secret world. The 3rd dungeon of the game.

Second boss I think.

All die, so die well.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

I do believe it's seven investigation missions - I hope so at least. ;)

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

+1 market integration.

I have in game money. Just need somethign to spend it on.

:D

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by Blackbrrd

I do believe it's seven investigation missions - I hope so at least. ;)

From the information FC released a couple of days ago, I believe they are all suppose to be investigations, though they plan to release new sabotage and action missions in the future as well.

A few nice details in the article.  I'm looking forward to more being built in New York.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712

Its a joke, the Update is made up of an Auction House they deactivated at launch, and was supposed to be a launch feature, now they are marketing it as an Update feature?

The 2 nightmare dungeons were also deactivated at launch and now has become update features.

The only thing new in this update is 7 missions :/ So much for Ragnar's promises.

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Originally posted by Moodsie

Its a joke, the Update is made up of an Auction House they deactivated at launch, and was supposed to be a launch feature, now they are marketing it as an Update feature?

The 2 nightmare dungeons were also deactivated at launch and now has become update features.

The only thing new in this update is 7 missions :/ So much for Ragnar's promises.

So what you're saying is that there IS something new in this update...7 missions to boot! I dont' see why you have to QQ.

On another note, monthly updates are too soon for me. I've been playing since early launch talking my time. I play 1-2 hours nightly and just finished Kingsmouth.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

So they should have just released the AH and those dungeons with bugs rather than hold them back? I don't think anyone has claimed they were intended to be brand new features always intended to be added to the game later. This first issue was intended to be new missions and 7 new missions in less than a month is ok by me.

All die, so die well.

Originally posted by marz.at.play

So what you're saying is that there IS something new in this update...7 missions to boot! I dont' see why you have to QQ.

On another note, monthly updates are too soon for me. I've been playing since early launch talking my time. I play 1-2 hours nightly and just finished Kingsmouth.

No what im saying is holding back launch features and rebranding them as Update features is not the way to do things.

If you think its fine to hold back an Auction house feature for 5 weeks from the game, and take out dungeon content to be able to rebrand it, then thats your choice.

Originally posted by VikingGamer

So they should have just released the AH and those dungeons with bugs rather than hold them back? I don't think anyone has claimed they were intended to be brand new features always intended to be added to the game later. This first issue was intended to be new missions and 7 new missions in less than a month is ok by me.

You dont get it do you ? The Tradepost works fine on their Testlive server right now, and has been for a couple of days since they deployed 1.02, but they are still holding it back for another 2 weeks so they can market it as an Update feature.

The Nightmare modes for the 2 dungeons works fine aswell, but are being held back to be marketed as update features.

Ragnar spoke a big game about delivering new features and content, not about rebranding deactivated stuff.

• OtashiOtashi Member UncommonPosts: 78

And weirdly enough people that are commenting doesn't seems to know much about the game itself... this screenshot was taken in DW (Darkness War), the dungeon of Blue Mountain (you can notice the sails of the boat behind which are pretty much unique to this zone). /my2cents

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

You dont get it do you ? The Tradepost works fine on their Testlive server right now, and has been for a couple of days since they deployed 1.02, but they are still holding it back for another 2 weeks so they can market it as an Update feature.

The Nightmare modes for the 2 dungeons works fine aswell, but are being held back to be marketed as update features.

Ragnar spoke a big game about delivering new features and content, not about rebranding deactivated stuff.

but thats how they get new features into the game.. they run it on a test server first make sure everything is fine and then release. SO yes they plan to release an update patch at the end of the month so they need to test the features. Just because those features are working does not mean they are holding them back.. they said there will be an update at the end of the month and guess what there will be.. now if they dont release the update when they said then yes they would be holding it back.. but until that happens its nto being held back..

Hell if they just released every little feature they tested you would be getting lots of little micro patches that dont really do much.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

Isn't this update still within the first free month? If they hold back nightmare modes, etc after that, it's one thing also.

• Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Originally posted by Otashi

And weirdly enough people that are commenting doesn't seems to know much about the game itself...

Welcome to MMORPG.com!

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291

Regardless of whether or not a feature existed in the betas before release, it is still called an update when the feature is added after release. What else can you call it?  I am sure they have a ton of missions in the can ready to be added on a monthly basis.  They probably held off so they could concentrate on making the launch as smooth as possible.  If they hold true to their announcements about future updates, this game is going to ROCK!

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by nuttob

Regardless of whether or not a feature existed in the betas before release, it is still called an update when the feature is added after release. What else can you call it?  I am sure they have a ton of missions in the can ready to be added on a monthly basis.  They probably held off so they could concentrate on making the launch as smooth as possible.  If they hold true to their announcements about future updates, this game is going to ROCK!

Yes. Ragnar already said that they have been working on post-launch updates for more than a year and have at least 7 years of game content planned out. 

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by Caldrin

You dont get it do you ? The Tradepost works fine on their Testlive server right now, and has been for a couple of days since they deployed 1.02, but they are still holding it back for another 2 weeks so they can market it as an Update feature.   The Nightmare modes for the 2 dungeons works fine aswell, but are being held back to be marketed as update features.   Ragnar spoke a big game about delivering new features and content, not about rebranding deactivated stuff.

but thats how they get new features into the game.. they run it on a test server first make sure everything is fine and then release. SO yes they plan to release an update patch at the end of the month so they need to test the features. Just because those features are working does not mean they are holding them back.. they said there will be an update at the end of the month and guess what there will be.. now if they dont release the update when they said then yes they would be holding it back.. but until that happens its nto being held back..

Hell if they just released every little feature they tested you would be getting lots of little micro patches that dont really do much.

This.

I don't see what's the problem with releasing a number of features, changes and new things in batch like at the end of a month, instead of every few days. If those things didn't work before launch, and only worked recently in Testlive, then I can see why they want to do it together with the monthly update.
  • LostcogLostcog Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by VikingGamer

Or they were testing features meant for the first update during the last weeks of beta as part of their testing cycle. Was it ever comminicated that these features were supposed ot be in at launch or is that an assumption on your part?

• RightlovRightlov Member Posts: 72

Well, if the Tradepost has been working for a long time on Testlive, how can it be that there just was a new update yesterday, primarily focused on the Tradepost, with tons of fixes?

Come on OP - you already have a thread on this at TSW forums, and even a dev has respondend.

Here's the post, a little rough in the tone, but with the accusations from the OP, I quite understand it.

"Just FYI.

In the time the tradepost was in beta, there were over 500 bugs reported.
    Over 100 of those were absolutely critical, things like infinite item dupe bugs or gold exploits.
    We had a hard deadline, we couldn't push the game back. We decided to hold it back and fix the bugs before we pushed it out.
    Ideally it would have been in at launch, but then it would have been a buggy mess that caused a huge amount of problems.

The idea that we would purposely hold back a feature like that from launch on purpose is laughable. It *is* basic MMO functionality and we were scared there would be a massive outcry because it wasn't ready.

But that is the point. It wasn't ready. We are doing our best to provide a good experience for players. This is not an attempt to "fatten" a content patch.

Hell if somebody was going to unsub to the game, do you really consider an AH to be the thing that changes their mind?

I think not!"

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

I'll just repost what Ragnar said on Massively about this:
    tl;dr: the content was NOT meant for the launch and was always intended for the first update.

They are already working on August and furhter updates too, they have been for a good year or more and they have "charted out" at least seven years of content.

And yes, it always comes to test servers a week or more before release of the update. Thats how mmos work.

haters gonna hate.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

It can't be easy, for Ragnar'n'bunch.

Having to deal with bullcrap like this when all they're doing is trying to give people something "fun" to do with their otherwise mundane lives.

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

Very impressed with TSW, hopefully people that like being critical just to look cool will take a deep breath and realise how happy they should be that finally MMO's are at the point where they can take some focus off just making the basics work and they are actually telling good stories again. In one way it feels like we have gone backwards 10-20 years, and thats a good thing.

Seeing I'm still in Kingsmouth with level 2 and 3 gear I'm going to say, take your time and focus on quality not quantity.

My greatest fear for this game is that the launch content will be like Season 1 of Lost and its all downhill from there. I hope Funcom can ignore the noise and give use 7 Season 1's of Lost ...

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe