Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So is the stealthy thief back?

gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

One of the main reasons [mod edit] I had decided I wouldn't buy GW2 was their thief interpretation early on seemed to be of the highly mobile ninja rather than the stealthy assassin.  I prefer the stealthy assassin and was disappointed by that view.

But I'm hearing that more recently the trait changes have made the thief character the more traditional stealth based thief of other MMOs.  Is this true?  If so, I might actually consider jumping back on the bandwagon again LOL.

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

Comments

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

I really hope not,  stealth is a crutch.

Anet was looking to make thief more than just a 1-trick pony stealth > backstab nonsense, then useless for the rest of the time.  So far it's better than that but still the worst class in the game.  I'm sure things will change drastically before the final BWE.

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053
    Originally posted by Alders

Anet was looking to make thief more than just a 1-trick pony stealth > backstab nonsense, then useless for the rest of the time.  So far it's better than that but still the worst class in the game.  I'm sure things will change drastically before the final BWE.

Every class has crutches.  But not looking to do the class vs class debate.  Just wanted to know if you can do a melee stealth based assassin rather than the hyper melee/range combo ninja.

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Originally posted by gainesvilleg

One of the main reasons (besides cash shop) I had decided I wouldn't buy GW2 was their thief interpretation early on seemed to be of the highly mobile ninja rather than the stealthy assassin.  I prefer the stealthy assassin and was disappointed by that view.

But I'm hearing that more recently the trait changes have made the thief character the more traditional stealth based thief of other MMOs.  Is this true?  If so, I might actually consider jumping back on the bandwagon again LOL.

I dont know if they are going to change the thief or not but as u said "One of the main reasons (besides cash shop) I had decided I wouldn't buy GW2 I just want to make it clear to you... GW2 cash shop has nothing of pay to win so if u dont want to play the game because u think its P2W or because u think u need CASH to buy gems u are WRONG just search a bit more and u will see the cash shop is just fine and not P2W

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777

I really hope not,  stealth is a crutch. Anet was looking to make thief more than just a 1-trick pony stealth > backstab nonsense, then useless for the rest of the time.  So far it's better than that but still the worst class in the game.  I'm sure things will change drastically before the final BWE.

Every class has crutches.  But not looking to do the class vs class debate.  Just wanted to know if you can do a melee stealth based assassin rather than the hyper melee/range combo ninja.

Yes, however some good shadow steps are in the bow. But you could really do some very good stealth shadowstep mix... Hmmmm.... I should really try theif...
  • mechtech256mechtech256 Member UncommonPosts: 206

Just because a cash shop isn't P2W doesn't mean that it's not a problem for some people. There are many other drawbacks of cash shops, many of which only show up once the game has been out a while and you're already invested in the game.

As for the OP, the answer is no. Is that really a bad thing? The stealthy assassin is done in every single MMO, it's boring and it's been done to death. Moreso it doesn't fit the game's playstyle. All classes in GW2 are designed to be involved in every aspect of combat, and having a class that relies partially on stealthing around doesn't fit their vision for a non-trinity class system.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

If you're looking to stay in stealth longer than 4 seconds at a time, then no.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

From my experience in all the previous tests: no, there is no such thing as a class that has a perma-stealth or even an extended amount of invisibility.

I prefer this approach, I do not like classes that have the ability to simply disappear from sight indefinitely (out of combat). As you said, all classes have crutches, in their current approach they give thiefs mobility and the ability to exit fights more easily than other classes.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

Originally posted by Irus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgMCb3Z5RxE

Cool thanks for that.  Seems promising.  I heard there was a good sword/dagger combo that works very stealthily as well.  Might have to keep my eye on GW2 again...

And like the guy in the video said "might not be the highest burst but very fun to play" which is what stealth is all about for those that like it.  Contrary to popular belief, stealth thieves almost never dominate the leaderboards in other MMOs.  It really is about the fun aspect for those that like it.  Overpowered warrior types and overpowered clerics tend to dominate many MMO leaderboards.  But I said I wasn't going to do the class vs class debate I guess I lied ;)  I'll stop now...

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    [mod edit]

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517
  • CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568
    Originally posted by SoulOfRaziel

One of the main reasons (besides cash shop) I had decided I wouldn't buy GW2 was their thief interpretation early on seemed to be of the highly mobile ninja rather than the stealthy assassin.  I prefer the stealthy assassin and was disappointed by that view.

I dont know if they are going to change the thief or not but as u said "One of the main reasons (besides cash shop) I had decided I wouldn't buy GW2 I just want to make it clear to you... GW2 cash shop has nothing of pay to win so if u dont want to play the game because u think its P2W or because u think u need CASH to buy gems u are WRONG just search a bit more and u will see the cash shop is just fine and not P2W

[mod edit]

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/

there you go,your viable steathly assassin type that works

• xxlilDevilxxxxlilDevilxx Member UncommonPosts: 245

Why brother asking if the other reason is cash shop.

Don't play the game if you think there are so many problem.

Originally posted by FlawSGI

Not trying to do the cash shop debate again (I already won that debate) but I just wanted to know how the thief plays now in the most recent beta?  Are there viable stealthly assassin type builds that work?

Welll with this kind of comment I was hesitant to reply in kind, but the smugness got to me. If the cash shop and the way one class plays is a deciding factor into wether or not you purchase the game I can say without a doubt stay away, you aren't going to enjoy the product and some of us aren't going to enjoy the comments made post launch. /thread.

This is not an attack, just an observation from this and other posts made by you.

[mod edit]

Actually I don't think I had anything to do with any debate with you regarding a cash shop, so no I didn't take offense to the comment. I also didn't say you were disqualified from the game, only you should stay away because you will not be happy. You have made it clear in other posts that the game was to casusal which and I quote "Isn't my cup of tea" and that the cash shop isn't to your liking. If you wanted an answer to the question you proposed, then there was no need to mention the rest of the details regarding your intentions to not purchase otherwise. And besides that point the question was answered by others and all the while their opinions were discredited because you claim you don't want to discuss class balances and such. This combined with some debate you aparently won, came off as smug. 

I know your name from other posts you have made and it's been made clear you don't approve the product. You have recently attacked the camera, CS, and casualness of the game and that's without going into your post history, only off of comments I remember you making. Calling me a jackass because you are touchy to being called out is sad. Good day.

• NilenyaNilenya Member UncommonPosts: 364

There is no in combat long lasting stealth. However as you mentioned yourself with a dagger/pistol combo, you are able to lay down a smoke field, where you through your own leap attack can stealth as a combination trigger, and thus turn your free attack into a backstab. If you also slot a utility such as the smokescreeen, you also have in combat stealth from the leap there. You also have the stealth from steal if you trait for it, and you can with dagger/dagger use cloak and dagger, which again allows you to stealth from your attack. I believe there is an immunity timer now that disables you from stacking ini return/regens and CD > BS 2-3 times in a row. The mob or player will be immune.

As for a stealth going into combat; you are able to stealth by using your shortbow blast, together with the utility smokescreen combination, which gives you a 15(ish) second out of combat stealth. But this requires you to be somewhere that blast does not injure anything, as this brings you out of stealth. - You can do this every 30 seconds btw, if you keep the utility slotted.  Alot of people were requesting a setup type of stealth, but it has allways been there, everyone just needs to examine how combos work, and especially the thief has access to some good ones, from their own Dark combo, Poison combo and smoke combo fields.

Originally posted by xxlilDevilxx

Why brother asking if the other reason is cash shop.

Don't play the game if you think there are so many problem.

The point I was making. Careful or he will resort to personal attacks to discredit the valid question.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

Thought I was going to love the engineer and how little interest in the thief but after playing all the classes my view has reversed. The engneer was more limited than I thought would be the case where the thief was great fun. I loved the thiefs tripwire and aerial attacks, plus the back stab that swings you 180 degrees around the enemy. The thief is a great hit and run character wih a lot of mobillity and one I will be playing for sure. I would suggest to all who play gw2 to really try all the classes, the ones you might think you won't like you just might find are your favorites....

Not trying to do the cash shop debate again (I already won that debate) but I just wanted to know how the thief plays now in the most recent beta?  Are there viable stealthly assassin type builds that work?

Welll with this kind of comment I was hesitant to reply in kind, but the smugness got to me. If the cash shop and the way one class plays is a deciding factor into wether or not you purchase the game I can say without a doubt stay away, you aren't going to enjoy the product and some of us aren't going to enjoy the comments made post launch. /thread.

This is not an attack, just an observation from this and other posts made by you.

[mod edit]

Actually I don't think I had anything to do with any debate with you regarding a cash shop, so no I didn't take offense to the comment. I also didn't say you were disqualified from the game, only you should stay away because you will not be happy. You have made it clear in other posts that the game was to casusal which and I quote "Isn't my cup of tea" and that the cash shop isn't to your liking. If you wanted an answer to the question you proposed, then there was no need to mention the rest of the details regarding your intentions to not purchase otherwise. And besides that point the question was answered by others and all the while their opinions were discredited because you claim you don't want to discuss class balances and such. This combined with some debate you aparently won, came off as smug. 

I know your name from other posts you have made and it's been made clear you don't approve the product. You have recently attacked the camera, CS, and casualness of the game and that's without going into your post history, only off of comments I remember you making. Calling me a jackass because you are touchy to being called out is sad. Good day.

If you really knew all my posts and went back several months ago, you would know I was also at one time right on the GW2 hype-wagon.  There were several design decisions that made decide not to get it.  Yes I prefer more hardcore games but I play casual games as well (hell I played plants vs zombies even).  I hate cash shops but I played in other games with cash shops.

It is the accumulation of bad (in my opinion) design choices that made me not want to get GW2.  But one of the BIGGEST design choices was their thief interpretation.  I read recently that a stealth based build is actually possible now, and I was asking if it were true.

But only one response from Irus actually tried to answer my question.  Almost all other responses were snide and symptomatic of a terrible community to be honest.

The only reason I mentioned the cash shop in the post was if I didn't some jackass would point to a previous post of mine and say "But I thought you said you weren't playing because of cash shop like you posted before" and I was right.  That is exactly what you did.

The reality is there is no perfect game, and I make a decision on the BALANCE of design choices.

Originally posted by MattVid

[mod edit]
    [mod edit]

Read my original post.  The trolling started by others what am I suppose to say "thank you can I have another" when somebody says "Go back to Wow if you want stealth"

Now I know why they got rid of global chat in GW2, I don't think this community would be very nice to people asking questions there.  Kudos for Anet recognizing that LOL.

[mod edit]

If you really knew all my posts and went back several months ago, you would know I was also at one time right on the GW2 hype-wagon.  There were several design decisions that made decide not to get it.  Yes I prefer more hardcore games but I play casual games as well (hell I played plants vs zombies even).  I hate cash shops but I played in other games with cash shops.

It is the accumulation of bad (in my opinion) design choices that made me not want to get GW2.  But one of the BIGGEST design choices was their thief interpretation.  I read recently that a stealth based build is actually possible now, and I was asking if it were true.

But only one response from Irus actually tried to answer my question.  Almost all other responses were snide and symptomatic of a terrible community to be honest.

The only reason I mentioned the cash shop in the post was if I didn't some jackass would point to a previous post of mine and say "But I thought you said you weren't playing because of cash shop like you posted before" and I was right.  That is exactly what you did.

The reality is there is no perfect game, and I make a decision on the BALANCE of design choices.

Well I made it clear that it wasn't an attack so you can quit throwing me in with everyone else.  Also to the portion in red, I didn't do that in any way, I was referring to your OP and not your opinions regarding the CS in the past. You jumped the gun there and attacked me because you apparently have a chip on your shoulder. Also you keep trying to generalize anyone that disagrees with you as a negative and this is reflecting a "terrible community." Since you have brought it up multiple times in this thread I will assume it is another one of your reasons to not purchase. 

I never claimed to know all your posts, only that I remeber the most recent and I didn't go into your post history to make a judgement. Maybe you are getting me mixed up in your defenciveness I don't know. My opinion stil stands that the game doesn't have the thief type you are looking for and if this, coupled with your many other complaints, are turnoffs then you shouldn't play the game. There was nothing more to it just that simple observation. 

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

[mod edit]

First off, if you wanted your question asked about the Thief, it was ignorant to bring in (deliberately) the cash shop discussion on OP... But to me it's wahtever, if you feel it sucks so be it...

As to the Thief... It's a complicated build, but it is possible.

It requires a certain skill/trait as your combo starter, and a certain skill/trait as your combo finisher. 

So here is how you stealth...

SmokeScreen (creates a small AoE smoke cloud), as in one of the 7-9 traits, or possibly black-powder shot from pistol, and then you also need a blast finisher, as in Shortbow #2.

So you lay down Smokescreen in skill #7, then blast that AoE while standing in it with Shortbow #2, this creates a certain amount of time of stealth... It does stack, so while it's not a simple "stealth button", you still can stealth. Mix that in with Sword Dagger and you have a very accessible stealth thief, that pops in and out of stealth during combat, and can stealth (kind of) to get out of combat...

So yes, you can (and I will) build a stealth thief.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

[mod edit]

Well I made it clear that it wasn't an attack so you can quit throwing me in with everyone else.  Also to the portion in red, I didn't do that in any way, I was referring to your OP and not your opinions regarding the CS in the past. You jumped the gun there and attacked me because you apparently have a chip on your shoulder. Also you keep trying to generalize anyone that disagrees with you as a negative and this is reflecting a "terrible community." Since you have brought it up multiple times in this thread I will assume it is another one of your reasons to not purchase. 

I never claimed to know all your posts, only that I remeber the most recent and I didn't go into your post history to make a judgement. Maybe you are getting me mixed up in your defenciveness I don't know. My opinion stil stands that the game doesn't have the thief type your are looking for and if this, coupled with your many other complaints are turnoffs then you shouldn't play the game. There was nothing more to it just that simple observation. 

Your very first response you said "This is not an attack, just an observation from this and other posts made by you" which is why I mentioned the cash shop because I have been debating for months regarding that.  If I didn't mention it somebody would have said "You just hate cash shop stop pretending" 

So why shouldn't I be defensive when only 1 or 2 people tried to answer my question the rest said "go away" basically.  Its the truth bro the GW2 community I think needs to step back and look in the mirror.  There are some people who have issues with design choices and debate them thats what forums are for, but being mean spirited in response to a simple question just will ruin the community like it seems to be doing here.

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

Read my original post.  The trolling started by others what am I suppose to say "thank you can I have another" when somebody says "Go back to Wow if you want stealth"

Now I know why they got rid of global chat in GW2, I don't think this community would be very nice to people asking questions there.  Kudos for Anet recognizing that LOL.

Fair enough. And I can't say anything but "thank goodness" for no general chat :)

As far as the Theif and stealth. There is definitely not "perma stealth" mechanic from what I have seen. I only got my Theif to around 12 in the BWE's. Even by that time though, depending what weapons I was using, I had a stealth move, as well as a few shadow steps.

The game is much more focused on action gameplay, so simply being able to instantly teleport around is a HUGE factor in confusing people and escaping. Also, the ability to shadowstep to someone instantaneously and then be able to shadowstep back is a pretty interesting "stealth like" mechanic.

There are a few skills that give you stealth for a few seconds, even one of the Theif heals does this. But there is no long duration Stealth like some games have. Instead, you have very good movement abilities, allowing you to get in and out of combat very quickly. Definitely better than any other class I have played.

Hope that helps some.

EDIT: And the Theif of GW2 is probably the only Rogue/Theif class I have actually enjoyed playing in a game. It is fast paced, very mobile and quite fun to play. I am almost thinking about changing it to my main for release. I had a lot of fun with it, that is for sure.

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

Erm... why did a thread about stealthy thieves cause so much trouble?

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921
    Originally posted by Irus

Erm... why did a thread about stealthy thieves cause so much trouble?

Because GW is the golden child of this forum and has an army of people who will defend it to the death.

Which draws out the people who wish to wind them up...

I miss the days when people enjoyed games for what they were rather than hating them for not conforming to what they wished they were.