Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamespot Review

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by AdamTM

They don't get to be subjective in a review. They are not reviewing this as a fan of a genre, they are reviewing this as a journalist.

I recently spent some time reading a reviewer forum.  It reads pretty much exactly like mmorpg.com does.  Astonishing lack of objectivity, all around.

Did you know Authors have their vested fanboys and haters, too?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• BloodyVikingBloodyViking Member UncommonPosts: 132

Oh no, there were bugs!???!!! What a f*****g joke. There has never -EVER- been released an MMO that didnt have bugs. So the question that begs to be answered is, were they gamebreaking bugs? No they werent. There were some quests that were bugged at some stages. Men in Black Vans part 4, Something Wicked last tier and The Black House last tier to be exact. Whoopedeedooo!!!

I dont give a shit if you as a gamer dislikes the game, but "professional" reviewers needs a smack when they give dishonest reviews. The fact is that many gamers are becoming very weary of these so called "professional" reviewers because the whole game review "industry" is stinking to high heaven. It's all about those marketing $$$ so they have to toe the line to bring in the bucks. The problem now is that is become so blatantly obvious after the SW:TOR fiasco that gamers should really do their own research and look at what other real gamers think about the product.

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703

Nice to see members of the 'community' attacking TSW with bile and hate and stomping their feet while frothing in anger, it means it's an amazing game

and people who don't get the combat, I pìty you...

Originally posted by BloodyViking

Oh no, there were bugs!???!!! What a f*****g joke. There has never -EVER- been released an MMO that didnt have bugs. So the question that begs to be answered is, were they gamebreaking bugs? No they werent. There were some quests that were bugged at some stages. Men in Black Vans part 4, Something Wicked last tier and The Black House last tier to be exact. Whoopedeedooo!!!

I dont give a shit if you as a gamer dislikes the game, but "professional" reviewers needs a smack when they give dishonest reviews. The fact is that many gamers are becoming very weary of these so called "professional" reviewers because the whole game review "industry" is stinking to high heaven. It's all about those marketing $$$ so they have to toe the line to bring in the bucks. The problem now is that is become so blatantly obvious after the SW:TOR fiasco that gamers should really do their own research and look at what other real gamers think about the product.

Professional reviewers my arse...

go check the scores for these games when they released:

- AoC

-WAR

-Cataclysm

just to mention a few (and not counting MW2 and MW3 or UC3...)

total waste of ... web storage

If you like a game play it, if you don't well don't play it?

but don't base your choice on some clown makign a review of something he hasn't played much and doesn't understand completely

Originally posted by muthax

Nice to see members of the 'community' attacking TSW with bile and hate and stomping their feet while frothing in anger, it means it's an amazing game

It's how the gaming industry has become, unfortunately. Much like society in general. There is lots of "extremism" in all forms (sports, politics, movies etc) where civil discussions have gone out the window. Internet has become a cesspool of extreme opinions and perceived self importance. But that is a much larger discussion which I'll skip since its not "on topic".

TSW has done something spectacular in this day and age in creating a very atmospheric, cinematesque game with deep character skill customization. The polish technicaly and graphicaly is way beyond Funcoms prior games, and I would say even more so than other recently released MMOs. The launch (both early access and retail day launch) was extremely smooth.

That said, TSW demands  a lot from the player. You are not given everything in your hands to do mindnumbing gameplay. You need to use your brain in this game. Both in order to do many of the missions and also in building your character. You need to look at the abilities you can choose from and decide which combinations will work together for the purpose you want. This part is unforgiving for people who are not used to actually think and tinker. This is where I will say the divide is.

It's how the gaming industry has become, unfortunately. Much like society in general. There is lots of "extremism" in all forms (sports, politics, movies etc) where civil discussions have gone out the window. Internet has become a cesspool of extreme opinions and perceived self importance. But that is a much larger discussion which I'll skip since its not "on topic".

TSW has done something spectacular in this day and age in creating a very atmospheric, cinematesque game with deep character skill customization. The polish technicaly and graphicaly is way beyond Funcoms prior games, and I would say even more so than other recently released MMOs. The launch (both early access and retail day launch) was extremely smooth.

That said, TSW demands  a lot from the player. You are not given everything in your hands to do mindnumbing gameplay. You need to use your brain in this game. Both in order to do many of the missions and also in building your character. You need to look at the abilities you can choose from and decide which combinations will work together for the purpose you want. This part is unforgiving for people who are not used to actually think and tinker. This is where I will say the divide is.

yeah I don't get why people have to find something to HATE with all their strength, after TOR now TSW and GW2 will be next

I like that TSW isn't hand holding and needs you to use your brain, it's a good filter to keep the wowtards away

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by AdamTM

They don't get to be subjective in a review. They are not reviewing this as a fan of a genre, they are reviewing this as a journalist.

Yep, a subjective subject should not be subjectively reviewed.

Wait a min...

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

- AoC

-WAR

-Cataclysm

but don't base your choice on some clown makign a review of something he hasn't played much and doesn't understand completely

Exactly. The trail of gamer tears is becoming long in terms of games not delivering on the hype created by the companies and the reviewers in particular. The companies has an obvious stake in making their game look good and sell well, that is obvious to anyone. But the reviewers are supposed to give a critical take on the game with both positive aspects and negative ones. And with such glaring discrepancies between how the reviewers made the game seem and how the gamers themselves felt the game was, it seems obvious that the suits in the gaming industry has got the review sites by the balls. Meta critic is a good tool to see this discrepancy between the reviews and the average gamers.

- AoC

-WAR

-Cataclysm

Exactly. The trail of gamer tears is becoming long in terms of games not delivering on the hype created by the companies and the reviewers in particular. The companies has an obvious stake in making their game look good and sell well, that is obvious to anyone. But the reviewers are supposed to give a critical take on the game with both positive aspects and negative ones. And with such glaring discrepancies between how the reviewers made the game seem and how the gamers themselves felt the game was, it seems obvious that the suits in the gaming industry has got the review sites by the balls. Meta critic is a good tool to see this discrepancy between the reviews and the average gamers.

yes but the problem with metacritic is that trolls can use it to nuke a game rating, like they did in several occasions

• xenptxenpt Member Posts: 430

the rating its fair in my point of view, also the metacritic gave it a 73 / 75 http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-secret-world

The game could be a really amazing game, but it is not the gameplay and animations are horrible and dull  and the  pvp leaves much to desire.

All of this makes this game  from amazing to an above average game.

This said the game in the other aspects is really really good.

It is not a game that will appeal to every taste of gamers like myself.

But my review will not be your review until you play the game.

Originally posted by xenpt

the rating its fair in my point of view, also the metacritic gave it a 73 / 75 http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-secret-world

The game could be a really amazing game, but it is not the gameplay and animations and the dull fighting and pvp makes it from an amazing game to an above average game.

This said the game in the other aspects is really really good.

Hmmm I am not sure I got what you said, but seems you are saying the gameplay is bad and the combat is dull?

have you actually played or just parroting troll comments found elsewhere?

seems the latter or simply you gave up pretty soon

yes i have played the 2 beta weekends i try to play all games and actually i asked a refund to funcom but i understand its a game that will please many fanboys/ gamers but it will not go in a general liking.

• ThanesThanes Member Posts: 182

I like the game but 70-80% sounds about right.  There's still no ah.  Not all the quest bugs were fixed.

yes i have played the 2 beta weekends i try to play all games and actually i asked a refund to funcom but i understand its a game that will please many fanboys/ gamers but it will not go in a general liking.

[mod edit]

well im giving my  thoughts about the game [mod edit]

Like i said this is my opinion if you dont want it don´t take it.

And i am not an expert but i have played mmorpgs and been beta tester in a very good amount of them so i guess im not that ignorant in this type of matter.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by jpnz
    Originally posted by chaod1984

Here you go 72/100 on metacritc, the game is not amazing okay?

Did you bother seeing who gave the lower scores...basement dwelling bloggers...lol...nobody of any real credibility.  The higher scores were given by much more established companies, inlcuding Ten Ton Hammer.

Gamespot is number 2 for gaming websites so not sure how you can say 'Ten Ton Hammer' is more established or has more  credibility.

I don't think he was referring to GameSpot as one giving "the lower scores", considering 75 is still a passing grade. Not great, but passing.

Originally posted by Sebber
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    Originally posted by Sebber

Do you really believe TSW should have a higher score than 7.5, with bad combat and pvp?

Depends...

Since many saying this are actually referring to the animations and somehow can't seem to ascertain the difference hard to say.

The animations are bland and lackluster. The combat is fine. Not anything extraordinary but not what others make it out to be either. Pretty much your standard shtick

Will be really nice when this whole bandwagon thing about the combat moves on.

The combat is lackluster and boring, build combo points, use combo points, build combo points etc.

Well if you were playing like that, then I can see why you'd find it boring. It certainly hasn't been my experience.

I've been selecting skills to try and weaken the mob, while casting passive HoTs on myself. I've been timing the combat to use stuns at certain times to stop an enemy from using more powerful attacks, or just to shut them down for a few moments - something that's saved my butt more than a few times.  I've had to roll out of the way to dodge powerful attacks or debuffs when my stun wasn't available.

As I've continued experimenting and finding new combinations or strategies, I've seen my overall survivability and effectiveness increase, so it's definitely making a difference.

In with all that, yes, there's the "build combo points and then use them". But that's not "all there is", by far.

If that's how you were plaing the game, then your lackluster experience was your own doing. The game offers more variety and strategy than that. It's your own problem if you chose not to use it.

you can give an opinion over something you KNOW and UNDERSTAND

venting anger and trash talking a game because you don't understand it but makes you angry is pointless

and it's evident from these troll posts that people don't have a clue about combat in TSW, so yeah don't come in a TSW forum talking crap just to stir flames and then act offended if people tell you you don't have a clue what you talking about

and hey, that's just my opinion, you can take it or ...well you know where you can go ;p

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

FPS games are boring because all you do is shoot and reload and then shoot some more, sometimes you get to throw a grenade.

The argument about combat sucking is a fair one, but boiling it down to saying its bad because all you do is build and spend combo points is just stupid.

Pick ANY game and we can reduce the combat to something simple in order to troll it's users.

Originally posted by SlickShoes

FPS games are boring because all you do is shoot and reload and then shoot some more, sometimes you get to throw a grenade.

The argument about combat sucking is a fair one, but boiling it down to saying its bad because all you do is build and spend combo points is just stupid.

Pick ANY game and we can reduce the combat to something simple in order to troll it's users.

Have you tried Blaclight Retributon ??  i saw on totalbiscuit review and its a really fun game to play and its free you should give it a try its an fps also this game  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUV-hCruE5w&feature=plcp.

Seems pretty awesome.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

I don't think there's anything fanboyish at all in what xenpt said. What he says applies to a number of games I've followed. People establish certain "patterns" or "habits" through playing other games, or through playing one other game for years. Then they go into a new game and try to use that same exact approach. When that approach doesn't work, instead of taking a step back and saying "Okay, this game is obviously different and so I'll need to learn how things are in this game and adapt new strategies", many will come to forums like these and start talking about how the game sucks, the systems are broken and need to be fixed, etc.

Many gamers, particularly MMO gamers, can be very rigid and very stubborn in that regard.

And there are people who haven't played and still are hating on it. I don't remember what thread it was, but someone flat out came out and said "I haven't played the game, but I can tell just by looking at it that it sucks". There's been several similar examples.

There are people on these forums who hate to see any game they don't like succeed. Why? I don't know. Maybe they feel everyone should be playing "their game" instead. Maybe they need to feel the validation of playing the game that "everyone likes". 

A lot of people around here love to see games fail, unless it's the one they're following. You can see people trashing certain issues of a game they don't like turn around and defend those same issues when "their game" is experiencing them. It happens all the time around here. Some people will actually call those people out by throwing quotes of their own statements back in their face. 

It's not just with Funcom or TSW that this happens. It happens all across these boards. Just read the threads. You see it a lot.

Of course, Funcom, in particular, attracts an especially rabid and hostile group of such people. There are people who were waiting with absolute glee for what they believed would be TSW's inevitable failing on launch and/or after. It didnt' happen, so now they're nit-picking at anything they can to try and make it look bad anyway.

As far as what I said to the person who called combat nothing but "build and use combo points", sure he was giving his opinion, which is based on his experience (ostensibly). However, his opinion is derived from an experience that was skewed. The game didn't limit him to doing nothing but building and using combo points". He limited himself to that. The game provides the options. He wasn't using them.

When I'm running around in TSW, I see a lot of people standing in one spot doing the "build and use combo points" approach. It looks incredibly boring to me. I also see them die a lot. 

TangentPoint

it's actually the other way around, I got accused of fanboism for pointing out the obvious flaws in their logic

Ironically, I am a big GW2 fan and being accused of fanboism by a GW2 fanboi :)

[mod edit]
    [mod edit]

Oh the irony....

I rest my case

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

TangentPoint

it's actually the other way around, I got accused of fanboism for pointing out the obvious flaws in their logic

Ironically, I am a big GW2 fan and being accused of fanboism by a GW2 fanboi :)

You said:

[mod edit]

That is not pointing out flaws in logic. That is being insulting to those that disagree with you.

No it's stating  a well known ,universal fact

It's well proven and documented that people who say combat suck haven't got a clue, they are fighting with one weapon, they never change deck, often stay put and go through a rotation.

Nice try though

To elaborate more:if I buy a 1200€ camera and then start takignshots against the sun, I can't complain that all the photos are coming out overexposed and the camera sucks...

you don't like the game, fine, it's your opinion, but if you elaborate on why you don't like the game you have to do it without lies and misconceptions

No it's stating  a well known ,universal fact

It's well proven and documented that people who say combat suck haven't got a clue, they are fighting with one weapon, they never change deck, often stay put and go through a rotation.

Nice try though

To elaborate more:if I buy a 1200€ camera and then start takignshots against the sun, I can't complain that all the photos are coming out overexposed and the camera sucks...

you don't like the game, fine, it's your opinion, but if you elaborate on why you don't like the game you have to do it without lies and misconceptions

1st of all im not a GW2 fanboy i like the game but there are some aspects that well is not so great like all games.

[mod edit]