Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why did you get a life time sub for TSW?

I played Age of Conan for 18 months (and subbed for 24), and I knew I was going to buy the game waaay before the preorders started. I even had the opportunity to have Joel show it to me in January and try out the closed beta for 5 hours. Then they opened up shop - and look , there was this shiny life time sub. I really like to buy things cash, so I just went for it.

A few days later I got into the closed beta, right after setting up my computer at The Gathering http://www.hardware.no/artikler/10-jungeltips-til-deg-som-skal-pa-the-gathering/107899 where I went to game and socialize for 4 days with my girlfriend. Yeah, she keeps dragging me along, I try to keep smiling. ;)

The game did give a really solid impression, but at the same time it felt like a rough gem. Quite a lot of the beautiful artwork was missing and the combat was a lot harder early on. It took some time for the game to grow on me, but the day I got a group for Polaris / Hell Risen I was sold. I had raided for so much of AoC that I knew that a game with starter dungeons this good was going to be entertaining like hell.

What sold me when it comes to mood was doing The League of Monster Slayers mission. The kid inside of me grins all through that quest.

I was hoping Funcom had learned from AoC that they needed to add some content post launch, and it did seem so from the hints they dropped. I was hoping for updates maybe every other month, so when they just recently came out and said they were doing it every month, I was really happy.

Why did you get the life time sub?

Comments

• GargolaGargola Member Posts: 356

I haven't, i've never done that for any service that i can remember.  Tho i have to admit after finishing the story mission arc in Solomon Island i'm rather tempted, specially with Ragnar's statement's in content updates, and the way that the aforementioned story arc intertwines so greatly with the even't developed during the past 5 years by FC via their TSW forums and ARG.

Life-time sound like long, tho.  no rush for me yet to decide, as they haven't announced taking the option out.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I was impressed enough after one week of Closed Beta to opt for a lifetime sub.

To me, that was my "Thank You" to Funcom for trying something so pleasingly different from the standard medieval themepark which I've grown beyond tired of.

I didn't know what FC had planned for the future of TSW, and frankly, I didn't care. There was always the risk that the game was too "different" to appeal to anything but a handfull of fans, and would go F2P 2 or 3 months after a failed launch. I considered that and still went for it. To me, it was more of a donation.

Today, I saw the first sneak peek at what FC are actually planning for TSW, I'm starting to think that the lifetime sub was an excellent deal. IF they deliver on their promises, I will be around for a very long time to enjoy that sub. And if they consistently deliver on their promises, I'll give them even more money by buying clothes in the CS.

• MeliezaMelieza Member Posts: 269

I'm part of a group of RPers that I've been playing Champions Online with for over 2 years.  I bought a LTS for CO and I got more than my money worth out of it.  Since the group was all moving to TSW I figured I'd end up playing it for years with them again.

I rarely actually 'played' CO, only mosty used it for RP.  I planned on doing similar with TSW, but boy was I wrong.  I'm loving the hell out of the game itself.  Every quest is ground breaking and exciting.

My entire RP group ended up getting LTS. 

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299

Eh...i really dont get the fixation with life time subs...it draws so much pointless attention...like its some huge scam or a fortelling of a bad game ect.

Life time subs = make sense for some, makes no sense for others....all depends your bank account and gaming habits.

If its not for you, like its not for me, then i see no issues with someone else who may find it to be a good deal based on gaming habits and how much they treasure a few hundred dollars in their bank.  

IMO really only makes sense if you typically play a mmo for 2 years+ steady, or come back to mmorpgs regularly over the course of many years.

I guess it would make sense if you found $300 and were a gaming addict and had no source of income and wanted a game you never had to pay for again...but i dont find that being a likely scenario aside from mabey a wasted graduation gift or b-day present.

• kastakasta Member Posts: 512

I didn't buy the LTS for LOTRO and ended up playing that game for 3 years.  After a week of TSW I decided that I'll probably be around for a couple years in that game and after Ragnar's post about updates I decided to go ahead and get the lifetime sub.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

I bought them bcs i know i will play TSW for a long time, its the most cost efficient way then, as i had the money atm.
    I put some trust in the announcements to offer monthly contend updates, having much more in their sleeves to release over the time and feel the risk of being disapointed is very low.
    And it gives me the ultimate freedom to play or pause and never feel i have to play and/or rush to justify the monthly fee and get most out of it - so it also helps me to play at a relaxed pace and enjoy the game even more.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

I sure hope people arent buying lifetime subs based on what Ragnar is saying.....Those of us in AO are still waiting after 5 years of a new graphics engine promise.......

• DominionlordDominionlord Member UncommonPosts: 180

The game + lifetime sub is roughly the same as 4 Xbox360 games, I know I'll get way more play time outta TSW then i would the four games.

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774
    Originally posted by Dominionlord

The game + lifetime sub is roughly the same as 4 Xbox360 games, I know I'll get way more play time outta TSW then i would the four games.

Never thought of it like that,  I buy a PS3 game play it for two weekends and shelve it lol!

I got one because after playing all different mmos over the past 10 years this is the one that is a bit different and hence will see myself playing it for a long time to come.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811
    Originally posted by Gargola

Life-time sound like long, tho.  no rush for me yet to decide, as they haven't announced taking the option out.

I was thinking they would just pull the plug on it whenever they want, without saying: "we are removing the option next week".

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

If i had the spare cash then i probally would have picked up a lifetime sub.. sadly rebuilding an engine for my car at the moment and its eating up all my spare cash... so its monthly sub for me.

• z4osloz4oslo Member Posts: 27

I have no idea why i bought it tbh.

I saw the first trailer when i was in AOC beta, and it sounded cool. After i left tortage, i didnt think of the secret world OR funcom again. Untill a guild member in RIFT brought it up. And i said i would never touch a funcom game again after the AOC crap.

Sure enough, a few minutes later i was looking at the secret world game page, ans started reading about it and watched a few videos.... then an hour later or so i bought the lifetime sub, before even trying the game.

Looking back... do i regret it? HELL NO! I havent had this much fun since ... well .. ever?

Once i thought i was out, they pull me back in!

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Two reasons:

1) I didn't participate in any of the betas, so I wasn't really sure if I would like the game or not.

2) Given the industry's love affair with F2P models, I would be rather upset if the game went F2P at any point after I had bought a lifetime sub.

<3

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Originally posted by dreamscaper

Two reasons:

1) I didn't participate in any of the betas, so I wasn't really sure if I would like the game or not.

2) Given the industry's love affair with F2P models, I would be rather upset if the game went F2P at any point after I had bought a lifetime sub.

Get ready to be upset, if true what some are saying folks are now starting to cancle there subs. When enough do here come the F2p model, I think it was designed too in the 1st place.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • Viz79Viz79 Member Posts: 5

Heres the thing - I'd kinda given up on MMOS and was kinda waning on game in general. It just didnt seem the same as before - I had enjoyed MUDS in the past, then EQ, DAOC, EVE and then a lot of EQ2. But the genre had become stale and uninterestnig and it seemed as if the subscription model was over.

When I heard about Secret World, while it was an interesting concept, it was Funcom and I was still displeased they had moved onto MMOs after the amazing The Longest Journey. AO was an awful launch (and I was there), Age of Conan was just silly so how good could this be? I was definitely not interested.

Then on launch I somehow saw some really positive comments and I just saw some trailers and gameplay footage. And something about the modern setting just pulled me - I am also a huge horror fan (and I didnt even know this was a horror style game). So I decided to try it out.

As soon as I started, I was pulled completely into the story, the voice acting, the music, the skills - all fantastic. And the style reminded me of the same Longest Journey 'feel' I had missed for so long. I never played Dreamfall and now I am desperate to play that and TLJ again. But I cant because I am hooked on TSW.

People also say they hate the combat but I couldnt disagree more - I love it. Flows smoothly and perfectly for me, nicely balanced and it seems the game has so much to do. Fantastic quests, actually need to use your brain, and so much planned to keep players interested.

Its the state of the game address that got me to life sub - actually I would rather just pay once and then play whenever i want forever rather than worry about the sub. Its the sort of game I could play for years - just the setting, story and gameplay really draws me in.

Add to that the fact the commuity is brilliant - friendly mature - the exact opposite of the absolutely atrodcious Diablo community that I was seeing just before.

Im hooked, I love it. Its a different MMO, story orientated with challenging wonderful quests. Fantastic Funcom!

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

I havnt yet, but when I get my Christmas bonus this year I will get one.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by Elsabolts
    Originally posted by dreamscaper

Two reasons:

Get ready to be upset, if true what some are saying folks are now starting to cancle there subs. When enough do here come the F2p model, I think it was designed too in the 1st place.

I heard WoW had people cancelling subs so it's going to be F2P.  Oh and Rift and SWTOR lost subs so they're definitely going F2P.  And.. and.. and..

Give me a break, please.  People are canceling their subs? Surprise surprise. It happens in every MMO.  The "some" who are saying it hold no water with me whatsover as the game is more packed on my server than ever.

Even if by some fluke the game goes F2P in less than year (which it won't because it even took AoC to go 3 years before they did it) I'm still going to be just fine with my Lifetime sub getting free Funcom points per month.  Nothing will really change for me.  I'll still be playing the game and enjoying it.

Ragnar has stated that with the current way MMOs are that F2P is an eventual possibility but he was looking at 5-10 years before that would happen.  Seriously, people are going to wait 5-10 years for it to be F2P before trying it?

I bought my Lifetime sub right after it became available and don't regret it and never will.  I've already had more fun from the game than I've had from other MMOs and certaintly console games anytime in recent history.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257

I haven't bought it yet but I think I will. So far I just haven't believed in LTS but as I really like TSW I think it may change. I can see myself playing and supporting this game for a long time so LTS may even turn into profit after 1,5 years image

Edit: I actually just went to my TSW account and bought it. 

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

main reason for me (besides the basic fact that i like TSW a lot so far) was that classic subscription model "forces" me to play even when i am not really in the mood just because "i pay for it, so i should play" :)

• deftskulkdeftskulk Member CommonPosts: 67

Would really like to get one, but just can't afford to spend $200 all at once right now... Maybe someday...

Thumbs up to those that have gotten it.

• CantorageCantorage Member Posts: 186

After playing every mission in beta, PvP'ing for dozens of hours and run endgame dungeons over and over and over. I realized I was never going to get bored of the game.

Actually, it was when my beta character got wiped before end of beta, completely unexpected with no real warning. What scared me is that I didn't do my usual "wtf, what do I do now??" but actually got kind of excited that I got to do it all again.

Best MMO ever, deserves my life time sub.

• sadboysadboy Member Posts: 66

I dont agree Free To Play is the way to go I actually left Lord of The Rings when it went Free To Play. I do agree though that Life sub is a bad deal as I had one on Lord of the Rings and when it went F2P they basically just took all the privillages of life membership and changed them. F2P will dominate the industry even though you will always pay more for F2P if you are hardcore F2P bringing in more money due to the fact that players are not hardcore most are casual so F2P model suits casual players with little disposable income.