Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is the population while leveling?

NihilanthNihilanth Member Posts: 1,357

I used to play EQ2 several years ago, and with the recent dirth of intersting new MMOs coming out that aren't WoW clones, I've been debating coming back to EQ2 to try it out again.  My main holdup is the fact that if I do, I will most likely want to restart and make a new character.  While I understand that an 8 year old game is obviously going to be very top-heavy in levels, can I expect to see much of anybody running around the zones I'll be leveling in?  I honestly don't even care too much about being able to quickly and easily find a group for lower level quests (though it would be nice), but I just don't want to constantly feel like I'm the only person online until I hit cap.

As a related question, how exactly is the population once you do hit cap?  Is it easy to find people to group/raid with then at least, and are the servers pretty populated?

Thanks for the help!

Schutzbar - Human Warrior - Windrunner Alliance - World of Warcraft
Nihilanth - Kerra Paladin - Blackburrow - EverQuest II
XBL Gamertag - Eagle15GT

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Nihilanth

While I understand that an 8 year old game is obviously going to be very top-heavy in levels, can I expect to see much of anybody running around the zones I'll be leveling in?

As a related question, how exactly is the population once you do hit cap?  Is it easy to find people to group/raid with then at least, and are the servers pretty populated?

largely depends on which server you choose

the Freeport server, where i play, I always see other players at all levels

-- Freeport is the youngest server, 2 years old

all of the servers have endgame grouping/raiding ongoing

the 3 most popular servers are Freeport, Antonia Bayle, Crushbone

• rock909rock909 Member Posts: 8

Naggy actually has people all levels I have seen recently.

• KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250

On Freeport right around 20-40 I used to see alot of people.

There are a reasonable bit from 60-80 as well and ton of 90's.

You usually won't be able to use the dungeon finder to a positive experience, though.

• KnyttaKnytta Member UncommonPosts: 414

I guess Freeport is the best bet and after that Antonia Bayle. There are low level grouping and low lever players on AB, less than before but still some. Freeport currently have more players on average than AB (drop to medium now and then). Imho Naggy is very dead (lev 39 Q side here) but maybe catching up again if the PvP update goes well (hope).

Roll a toon on FP and a toon on AB and see, its ultimately about what guild you find on AB you MUST find one of the guilds that attract new players otherwise your experience will be horrible. Do frequent /who all "name of guild I am interested in" to see their population at different times.

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch

• N1kthequickN1kthequick Member UncommonPosts: 24

Thanks alot for the input guys!

I actaully tried out vanguard a couple weeks ago and it was a pretty decent game, I didnt know it had player housing though, hows the crafting in the game and how is the community at the later levels? Right now im actually installing EQ2, gonna give that a try but hopefully ill like it. My main question now for you guys is, which game do you think will have longer lasting potential for the next 2/3 years, EQ2 or Vanguard? I realize theyre both gonna be F2P so I just wanna play a game every once in a while later on that will still have a good population in it.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by N1kthequick

which game do you think will have longer lasting potential for the next 2/3 years, EQ2 or Vanguard? I realize theyre both gonna be F2P so I just wanna play a game every once in a while later on that will still have a good population in it.

i really dont know

Vanguard has nicer features than EQ2 - but EQ2 has more players, better support, new content

Vanguard will get a boost of new players when it goes to ftp but it remains to be seen how much new content Vanguard gets

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by N1kthequick

which game do you think will have longer lasting potential for the next 2/3 years, EQ2 or Vanguard? I realize theyre both gonna be F2P so I just wanna play a game every once in a while later on that will still have a good population in it.

i really dont know

Vanguard has nicer features than EQ2 - but EQ2 has more players, better support, new content

Vanguard will get a boost of new players when it goes to ftp but it remains to be seen how much new content Vanguard gets

guess the support for vanguard will depend on how many will actually pay for the game when it is "free to try"/play solo, but really doubt it will see alot of love, since SOE most likely have their attention on PS2 at the moment, with EQ3 coming up next....just is how they have their buisness, make a game, move main part of the developers on to new projects or fire them - like any other game company....then as long as it have the target subs it will have acceptable support, as soon as the population drop, the number of developers/customer support drop accordingly, can call it wise buisness praxis... or lack of confidence in their games future. takes alot before they do anything serious to ramp up the support for old games, its more practical to make little stunts, like hire the old lead developer of the game, in hope of boost the consumer intrest in upcoming changes

• KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250

I'm not very tolerant of $0E's shenanigans but EQ3 will be our only hope for an MMO.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

You asked about crafting in Vanguard . Everything you see in this adobe house was crafted or bought house items not many though mosr crafted. Even the house bricks were crafted. The flowers were bought

imageimageimageimage

Chamber of Chains