Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Five Awesome Missions in The Secret World

2»

Comments

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

I agree with many of the earlier posts - The Black House is a great mission.  I do agree with the list other than that.

Overall, I think this game has the best missions/quests I've ever seen in a themepark game.  Not better by a little bit, but by a lot.  FC really nailed the atmosphere of the genre.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• ThrennieThrennie Member UncommonPosts: 107

I'm not going to pick any missions that I've enjoyed in particular because it would be far too hard to narrow down, but I would like to say that it's been a long, long time since I last had the same feeling of accomplishment in completing quests in a game. Not to mention that it's been the first time that I've had to have a handy note book and pencil on standby for some of the more difficult ones.

• DemonHandDemonHand Member Posts: 2

lol i thought he said "Enjoy the creampies, I know I did."  and I was like "whaaaat?!?!?" but then i ead it aain, and was like, "Oh."

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I found The Black House just by exploring the Savage Coast... that place scares the CRAP out of me....

Its the first time that I actually jumped like a weiner, when I tried to go up the stairs and the house THREW me back and then growled at me.

lololol.  I had to get up and go get a new glass of water.. take a break and just be thrilled that an MMORPG had just made me do that.

• engellenengellen Member UncommonPosts: 83

god you guys make this game sound so damn fun.

played a million mmo's

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811
    Originally posted by XPraetorianX
    Originally posted by SkinFlayer

Three words; The Black House. 

I don't want to give anything away, so all I'll say is that it's the first time a house has ever killed me in a video game...

Black House was AWESOME. The quest in this game are off the charts awesome. What was the last MMO where we where talking about the quest. The quest are like seperate games with insane story lines

(my highlighting)

This is just so true, I really feel like I have finished a short story when I finish a mission* in TSW.

*not every mission, but many of them

• ValasAzuviirValasAzuviir Member Posts: 27

Best comparisons to the Black House that I can think of are: The Cradle from Thief 3, or the Ocean House Hotel from VtM: Bloodlines.

None of them are missions one should be playing in the middle of the night with the lights turned low.
    :P
  • rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

Keep referencing quests that are awesome that you can't talk about, and you'll get the curiosity monster inside of me ripping my brain to shreds looking for answers. I may be forced into buying the game just to satisfy him.

• MeliezaMelieza Member Posts: 269
    Originally posted by rygard49

Keep referencing quests that are awesome that you can't talk about, and you'll get the curiosity monster inside of me ripping my brain to shreds looking for answers. I may be forced into buying the game just to satisfy him.

GIVE IIIIIIIIIN!

You won't regret it :)

• davhut21davhut21 Member UncommonPosts: 16

Tough one, but so far my fave has been the Mortal SIns main story quest in Transylvania. Right now I am on tier 25/29. Just about there. Amazing story so far, just like the rest of the game.

• MueslinatorMueslinator Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by rygard49

If you like good storytelling and solving puzzles by various means (and learning something in the process!), DO give this game a try. I've discovered it via a BWE3 promo here, have bought it, and am more than satisfied until now. The quests mentioned are really good if you haven't seen more of TSW: But there are a LOT more very good quests out here, and they overshadow those five by a mile.

It's kind of 'anti-Tortage': The game starts out great, and it just keeps getting better (that's coming from someone who has spent significant time in every zone. I'm currently in the middle of the Carpathian Fangs). Oh, and they have announced that they want to churn out monthly 'mission packs' for free for all subscribers. It remains to be seen if they can live up to that, but even if they are quarterly, it would still be great.

Oh, and concerning that pic of Something Wicked: It's a HUGE spoiler. Ironic that the article mentions explicitly deleting spoiler comments, but then has such a huge one in it.

• BlaukoolBlaukool Member Posts: 2

The 3rd screenshot needs a replacement soon! It's spoiling all that makes this my favorite quest yet...

• eskelaeskela Member Posts: 39

One screenshot contains pretty heavy spoiler. Dear Author, you should remove this one. 

• hardiconhardicon Member UncommonPosts: 335

great article.  This is the first mmo game since before wow came out that actually puts some challenge into the game.  The quests themselves are sometimes a challenge,  mainly because you really need to listen and read everything to complete some of these quests. 

i still think my favorite quest so far is in the savage coast where you have to go fight the insane rides in the amusement park and at the end you fight The Boogeyman (hope thats not a spoiler), lets just say now I know why I was always afraid of the boogeyman as a kid.

This game just gets the horror feel right.  I always have this sense of impending doom, even now in full ql8 gear running around in the egyptian zones i stay on my toes.  great game and with the upcoming stuff they are adding ill be playing for a while.

• AirtaeeAirtaee Member UncommonPosts: 84

As someone said , The black house is amazing, but for me the final battle at Polaris vs "Cthulhu's spawn" is the best gaming experience in a mmorpg since many years.

That awesome monster hiden in the fog...mate, that's a encounter.!

• Species5021Species5021 Member Posts: 44

If they ever change the combat system i'll play it, it's the only thing that made me back out on buying it. The stories were awesome.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Hey Bill, you left out what is perhaps the most popular mission of all. You know, the "Get Easy Puzzle Mission And Refuse To Even Try To Solve It On Your Own And Instead Pester Other Players In Gen Chat To Give You The Answer" Players really seem to dig that one.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

The image is not the spoiler.  Your mentioning it, is the spoiler.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• HiriHiri Member Posts: 2

Favorite quests? Oh man that's hard... Let's see.

'Dawning of an Endless Night' , the first storyline quest, is a given. Just the way it plays out is interesting to say the least and more often than not it made me stop and think.

The aforementioned 'Something Wicked' was fun, just because of the need to think outside the box and follow the clues given in - what I deemed to be - an unusual way.

Madame Roget's quests, 'The Raven' and 'The Vision' were also really fun to me. Especially deciphering the cryptic hints from her visions, needed to wrack my brains a fair few times.

The abandoned park and its missions with the creepy rides that whisper at night was a nightmare (in a good way). The actual rollercoaster ride was quite... trippy.

The Black House made me shudder. I was glad to have it done and over with. The game's superb audio work really shines through here.

The Faction rank-up missions are always a blast, the first one really surprised me and I have an aversion to pitch-black-darkness missions ever since (and there are a fair few of those..)

'Win Win' was a fun mission too, after getting through the challenge of actually sneaking into the Orochi camp undetected, getting faced with a pattern recognition logic/math puzzle made my brain hurt pretty badly.

'The Big Terrible Picture'  in Egypt was TONS of entertainment for me. Needing to use an actual legitimate cypher and then trying to decode the sequences, and then with the--- Yeah no spoilers. Let me just say I loved it to pieces and it's possibly one of my favorite ones.

But the best mission to me so far was the 'bridge' mission between the first and second storyline, where you get sent to the abandoned asylum. I am honestly not sure if this mission is the same for all factions (I'm Dragon), but it... well it frankly took its toll on me. It's the one sole mission where I had to have a friend talk with me on skype as I was doing it because I was freaking out pretty badly, and needed someone to just be there for me. Let's just say I was losing my mind alongside my character. Absolutely superb.

• ChipsalomChipsalom Member UncommonPosts: 10

Wow, everything from combing over the internet to get the album length to "don't stop believin", to slowly, methodically trying to learn morse code (as that is the only way to decipher an important message).. and the message is in easy, beginner, slow speed!  Thumbing through the bible trying to unwind cryptic messages, using detective skills... in short, all your powers of reasoning are tickled and pushed.  This has completely set a new bar for the level of immersion and fun an MMO can create as far as I'm concerned.  Its not just about running around gunning things down, although that is  a lot of fun as well, lol. 

As far as listing my favorites, wow, that is just too hard to do at the moment, although I heartily agree with The Raven's spookiness (literally got chills running through my spind at MANY different points of this quests as certain things triggered for the first time).

In addition to all of that, it seems Funcom is trying to singlehandedly help players to "unlearn" years worth of masochistic, grind fest style hamster wheel questing.  They limit how many quests of certain types you can have active at a given time, which forces you to slow down and focus on what you are doing.  You are expected to concentrate, not just burn through the non-existant levels of the game.  To that end, I have to say I have not enjoyed the first month of any MMO the way I am enjoying the mood, atmosphere, and overly feeling of playing this game.  I know I'm going on and on, but if you have ever had something that was so much fun that you can't even stop thinking over riddles and puzzles, trying to work out solutions and asking co-workers while you're at work?  Ya, its that good!  Love this game!

• ChipsalomChipsalom Member UncommonPosts: 10

Oh, one other thing that I meant to mention... Has anyone else noticed the incredible level of detail surrounding every aspect of the game?  I mean, we're talking even so far as literally dozens and dozens of mock internet pages dedicated to non-existant towns (google kingsmouth and see if you find what I'm talking about.. suffice it to say the "kingsmouth" from the game, on a "Solomon Island" doesnt exist IRL... But if you were to go to the web page talking about it, complete with tourist info, photos of a Lighthouse, etc, you would never know the difference, lol.

Tried the same with Orochi, as well as their partner companies.  Dozens of pages dedicated to in game only lore about he secret societies.  The lengths they have gone to to create a truly seamless, fluid world you can experience in much the same way you experience the real world is incredible!

• J-icepdJ-icepd Member Posts: 23
    The black house is great. If this place dont scear you - you need to book a time to your doctor.
    There are so many great quest in TSW, I still working on dawning of and endless night after to week, because the tier get harder and harder. It has 18 tier in this quest!
  • dzacesn8sdzacesn8s Member Posts: 1

I do have to say that the quests/missions in this game do give you better immersion than any other mmo I have ever played.

The black house had me jumping in my chair and whipping my character around thinking I was going to have some massivly difficult battle...And try the front door first if you have not been there yet!

The questing is pretty seemless after you get out of Kingsmouth. I kinda was all over Kingsmouth so it was not fluid for me but everything after has takin me right where I need to be to go onto the next quest. You MUST EXPLORE though to find all of them. I have passed 100 quests and just got to blue mountain (which is the 3rd part of the newbie island) so there is more than enough content if you watch all of the amazing cutscenes and actually try and solve all of the puzzles your self.

Truely the most FUN that I have had in an mmo and definately does NOT feel like I am grinding xp just to grind.