Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar: Bioware-Mythic Announces New F2P Ultima Title

Comments

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    Originally posted by Kothoses

Signed up for beta, I think I will break with the tradition of many posters here and judge a game by actually......

Playing it..

I know, I know, I am going all radical and rebel here but I think it might work, hear me out.

See I could just jump on the Hate X mainstream publisher or Y revival or Z business model bandwagon (while of course reserving special love for who ever the darling flower child of the internet at the time is).  But instead, what I want to do is actually see if a product provides me with entertainment, if it does... I will provide its makers with cash, if it doesnt, I will look for some one else to give my money to.

What a novel idea.

Now back to the anti mainstream agenda.. ahh yes to the TESO forums to bash another game I have yet to see any gameplay footage of and have not yet played!!!!

It is quite alright because I bet you that 99% of the people bashing this game when they have seen zero game footage of it or even a screenshot of it for that matter have already signed up for CB and are secretly going inside "I WANT TO TRY IT, I WANT TO TRY IT!"

what is the obsession with 'footage' about? quit fetishizing imagery and take a look at the mechanics. what folks are upset about is most certainly not the screenshot view. its the mechanics of both of the aforementioned games.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Originally posted by Keldien

I wonder when they'll start releasing monthly podcasts filled with blatant lies about features and content that will never be in the game.

They would need Paul Barnett to do that, though.

^fixed.

Originally posted by Icewhite

Recalls all of those mmorpg.com UO nostalgia articles in the recent past.

Eyes shift...growing look of cynical suspicion...naw, no way.

the Truth is Out There ...

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921
    Originally posted by chelan

Signed up for beta, I think I will break with the tradition of many posters here and judge a game by actually......

Playing it..

I know, I know, I am going all radical and rebel here but I think it might work, hear me out.

See I could just jump on the Hate X mainstream publisher or Y revival or Z business model bandwagon (while of course reserving special love for who ever the darling flower child of the internet at the time is).  But instead, what I want to do is actually see if a product provides me with entertainment, if it does... I will provide its makers with cash, if it doesnt, I will look for some one else to give my money to.

What a novel idea.

Now back to the anti mainstream agenda.. ahh yes to the TESO forums to bash another game I have yet to see any gameplay footage of and have not yet played!!!!

It is quite alright because I bet you that 99% of the people bashing this game when they have seen zero game footage of it or even a screenshot of it for that matter have already signed up for CB and are secretly going inside "I WANT TO TRY IT, I WANT TO TRY IT!"

what is the obsession with 'footage' about? quit fetishizing imagery and take a look at the mechanics. what folks are upset about is most certainly not the screenshot view. its the mechanics of both of the aforementioned games.

The mechanics which have barely been discussed for one and have not been mentioned beyond a genre for the other.....?  This is what you are getting at yes?

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Now I can play UO and run out of stamina. . and wait for a counter or pay. . and I can look at WoWish art where the guys forarm is a larger than his head!  So awesome. . Ultima IV is my favourite game ever (played on the C64) and I think this will put the final nail in Bioware's coffin (in my head).  

The first part was sarcastic.

I truly hope I am wrong about where this one is headed.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• sumo0sumo0 Member UncommonPosts: 115

never buying a EA product again!

and this will probably just bring shame to the good ultima name...

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

*Sees word: Ultima*

YAAAAAAAAAAAY!

*sees word: Bioware*

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE. 

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• ronpackronpack Member Posts: 138

Just give me UO F2P with old school 2D graphics damnit!

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by chelan

Playing it..

What a novel idea.

I'm not going to judge a game that hasn't even been released yet... besides Game of Thrones, which is going to be a crappy browser made by the crappiest browser game makers ever.

Smile

• sumo0sumo0 Member UncommonPosts: 115

I'm not going to judge a game that hasn't even been released yet... besides Game of Thrones, which is going to be a crappy browser made by the crappiest browser game makers ever.

But i am!. EA is nothing but greed and crap. This game will be no different than any other game that they poop out to make a quick buck.

don't pay for it! don't sign up for beta! don't even waste your spit or piss on EA products, THEY ARE NOT WORTH IT!.

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300
    Originally posted by Khrymson

New article / interview with Paul Barnett posted on Kotaku

It will of course have microtransactions and according to Barnett we're going to fork over cash to EA just because:

"The entire game can be completed for free, although it would take you a long time. You can play it and play it and play it and play it, and enjoy it and enjoy it and enjoy it and enjoy it, and ultimately what will happen is you'll love it so much you'll go, 'you know what? I'm going to give you guys some cash.'"

i think im gonna love it lol

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491
    I love UO universe, but this is going to suck more than likely. I can't say im too excited about EA these days.
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

<Face Palm>

It was bound to happen... Lets see if they screw it up as badly as they did Star Wars The Old Republic. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • artfulpainartfulpain Member UncommonPosts: 8

Richard Garriot just rolled his eyes.

• CdnbonesCdnbones Member Posts: 15

Dear Bioware/Mythic/EA

FFS invest in DAoC beyond the crap patches that are just messing with the ini files that tells what styles do what damage

• onemegonemeg Member UncommonPosts: 33

"action RPG" ugh...while I am interested, it sounds to me like the way to ruin another great RPG line.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

'Action RPG'? Well there goes that one...Ultima in nothing but name... What is it with devs lately and trying to sell bland/unoriginal games on a popular IP alone?

If they bothered to put some effort in and recreate Ultima Online this would probably be a success, but they won't of course...

• araczynskiaraczynski Member Posts: 25

i'd wager 'lord british' is a tm of garriot, and he wanted some pretty penny to be able to use the term in any game, so he could fund his next space flight whatever. 

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

Only two classes? Seems awfully linear. I'm getting horrific flashbacks of Dragon Age II.

• wgc01wgc01 Member UncommonPosts: 241

I have to chuckle at all the hater posts, you know someday you guys are going to hate your selves out of games LOL do some of you even like games ? I have never seen a game talked about on these forums that were not full of haters..

Oh well this is not on my list to play either, does not matter to me who would have made it.

If you don't like something real simple don't play it,  No one will miss you...LOL

• chriswsmchriswsm Member UncommonPosts: 383

Yeah the typical tide of negativity is why I stopped posting on this site.  I had checked these forums for years and all of a sudden the moan moan moan got to me and I went elsewhere.

Sadly wherever you go the gaming community is a moaning bunch of pure negativity... not just here.

I used to visit this site a lot however in recent years it has become the home of negative forum posts, illogical opinions and tantrums so I visit less often.

Played or Beta'd: UO / DAOC / Horizons / EQ2 / DDO / EVE / Archlord / PirateKingsOnline / Tabula Rasa / LOTRO / AOC / Champions / Darkfall / Mortal Online / DCUO / Rift / STO / SWTOR / TSW

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by dreamsofwar

Only two classes? Seems awfully linear. I'm getting horrific flashbacks of Dragon Age II.

It should really have zero classes and use a skill system since it's Ultima.

I can't remember if U4 did this, but I'm pretty sure the later Ultimas were classless.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

The character models don't match the Ultima lineage. So that's a bad start.. but I'm a little interested to see what they come up with.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • FeriteKnightFeriteKnight Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by Benbrada
    Originally posted by Drogimar
    Originally posted by vieplis666

I not believe this game will be free, another fake free to play like star wars, wow,dungeons  and dragons,conan.. games with locked content, level and characters

Really ? I mean  what do you expect for free a top end mmo that you have to pay absolutely nothing for ? I don't think many people know what goes into running an mmo the servers alone cost a pretty penny to keep up and running not to mention programing and content updates to keep your current player base interested.

As a professional developer I agree with Drog 100%!

Well said!

As a player, I'd like to point out that it's often more expensive to play a Free2Play game than it is to play a subbed game, and quite often it appears a few players end up paying the bill for many because they're actually interested in accessing the content and not just repetatively running the same quests  over and over for some weird kick.

Also, F2P may not start out so bad, but as the developers, (like yourself), start getting greedy, they introduce more reasons for people to spend money by decreasing rewards, making difficulty levels higher, restricting drops of specific loot to relatively useless stuff, and more. All that, and sometimes you can have a subscription and still need to spend money on the game above and beyond that.

It's kind of like those facebook games that you hear about, or maybe even play. Not only are you encouraged to spend your money to increase your odds, but other players suddenly require and expect you to keep up with them while they spend theirs. Keeping up with the Jones while you're keeping up with the Jones in a more literal fashion trying to be useful while tagging along on some quest they're zerging and missing the drops you might have had if there was time to stop.

I don't think anyone is insinuating that it should really be free, but it might be nice not to have to spend 100 bucks a month on it. /only partially sarcasm.

F2P has become a collection plate in the mmo world; one that increasingly requires more money.

$7.99/month or $60 for 10 months would be cool, and you could add a store in with that for people who want cosmetics, casual boosts, or just want to use it for flashy toys, but you better make damn sure you don't limit the progressive content to the store alone.

• imershonimershon Member UncommonPosts: 73

Cross-platform?? - I wish developers would stop diluting games by trying to appeal to as many platforms as possible instead of focusing on the strengths of just one.  I doesn't work and only infuriates all the platform owners due to having to accomodate the limitations of the lesser platform.

DEFINITION OF REALITY: Graphics ok, Sound ok, Gold drops need more work...