Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar: Bioware-Mythic Announces New F2P Ultima Title

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Bioware-Mythic is ready to return players to Britannia with the announcement that Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar is currently in development. A new teaser site has cropped up as well as the ability for interested players to sign up for beta testing. Ultima Forever is scheduled to be F2P and will be released later this year.

“As huge fans of the Ultima franchise, the team at BioWare Mythic is not only excited to be able to bring this reimagining of the original rich world to the fans of the classic RPGs, but also to introduce a new generation of gamers who have never had a chance to discover why this is one of our industry’s most beloved worlds,” said Eugene Evans, Studio GM at BioWare Mythic.

Spanning over three decades, the fantasy world of Ultima has entertained millions of players from around the world with dozens of award-winning titles. The passionate and loyal fans of Ultima have braved perilous dungeons, faced off against fearsome enemies and creatures, conquered expansive lands and seas, and saved worlds. It’s time to revisit this enchanting universe and step into the shoes of your very own Avatar to find out where your choices will take you.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• arjiarji Member UncommonPosts: 93

BioWare's new cross-platform action RPG... Erhm no thanx. The only action RPG that intent to at least try is the Marvel one.

• SirGradySirGrady Member UncommonPosts: 30

oh please no ......

• vieplis666vieplis666 Member Posts: 33

I not believe this game will be free, another fake free to play like star wars, wow,dungeons  and dragons,conan.. games with locked content, level and characters

• MaldrekMaldrek Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Originally posted by vieplis666

I not believe this game will be free, another fake free to play like star wars, wow,dungeons  and dragons,conan.. games with locked content, level and characters

Really ? I mean  what do you expect for free a top end mmo that you have to pay absolutely nothing for ? I don't think many people know what goes into running an mmo the servers alone cost a pretty penny to keep up and running not to mention programing and content updates to keep your current player base interested.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

New article / interview with Paul Barnett posted on Kotaku

It will of course have microtransactions and according to Barnett we're going to fork over cash to EA just because:

"The entire game can be completed for free, although it would take you a long time. You can play it and play it and play it and play it, and enjoy it and enjoy it and enjoy it and enjoy it, and ultimately what will happen is you'll love it so much you'll go, 'you know what? I'm going to give you guys some cash.'"

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

I would strongly advise everyone to avoid any game that Paul Barnett even remotely touches as if their very lives depended on it.

I would also strongly recommend everyone to tell their friends to do likewise

• MortisRexMortisRex Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Free does not mean entitled. can you make a character, enrer the game, and adventure without paying money? If yes, then no matter how much your sense.of entitlement and "people should spend millions of sollars on infrastructure and development for the sole purpose of amusing me" that doesn't change the definition of the word "free". if you want more content, buy it. If you don't like the game enough to pay or youre too poor to enjoy the game content you want, don't play it. There are many options available to you, but the one option that is not available is changing the definition of words to something more self-serving.
  • AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

bioware-mythic is developing? Pass.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Asamof

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• Dahkot72Dahkot72 Member Posts: 261
    Bioware that made Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale and Mythic that made DAOC are dead.

They shouldn't be using those names anymore.

BW-Mythic of today needs a name fitting a company that can destroy the ips such as Star Wars and Warhammer in the jokes of a game they made for each.

Now they get to destroy Ultima.

• markecmarkec Member UncommonPosts: 6

I just love whenever some dev goes to rape an old franchize they start the announcment with "we are huge fans of (insert you favorite franchize)", and go on how we should be happy they are about to ass rape it in your face.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Just like any other game anymore, give it a month or two after launch and see where it goes, and what its really going to be like. Especially with some of the names involved on this one. Who knows it might turn out to be a hit. Or it could turn out to be another.... Hey we don't know how to make games but our marketing team is awesome, let's grab some old school title with a decent following and see if we can turn a quick dime. Just have to wait and see.
  • heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Ultima IV with cover mechanics and blue, green and red endings.

It pains me that these jokers hold the rights to one of my most favorite IPs.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by heartless

Ultima IV with cover mechanics and blue, green and red endings.

It pains me that these jokers hold the rights to one of my most favorite IPs.

You and me both :(.  I grew up with the Ultima series...the music and visuals from those games will be forever etched in my memory.

The worst part is that Richard Garriott TRIED to get the Ultima rights back, but EA shot him down so they could crap all over the IP some more.  I mean, since EA has owned Ultima/Origin, we have had:

1.  A browser-based strategy game called "Lord of Ultima" that has NOTHING to do with Ultima other than being medieval.

2.  A digital distribution tool named Origin.

3.  Three failed Ultima projects.

Great job EA.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Originally posted by Asamof

After SWTOR I 100% agree.

• genclaymoregenclaymore Member UncommonPosts: 44

Stop moaning, Of course there not gonna give you every thing for free. If you want the rest of the stuff. Either stop being cheap and do the monthy. Or buy the stuff you want and be glad you playing for free.

Some of you guys want every thing for nothing.

• WarleyWarley Member UncommonPosts: 508

Bioware went from making classics like KOTOR to Dungeon Runner ripoffs?

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739

"Accept the challenge from Lady British and save the land of Britannia"

What happend to Lord British?

• Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 628
    Originally posted by Drogimar

Really ? I mean  what do you expect for free a top end mmo that you have to pay absolutely nothing for ? I don't think many people know what goes into running an mmo the servers alone cost a pretty penny to keep up and running not to mention programing and content updates to keep your current player base interested.

As a professional developer I agree with Drog 100%!

Well said!

• KeldienKeldien Member UncommonPosts: 119

I wonder when they'll start releasing monthly podcasts filled with blatant lies about features and content that will never be in the game.

They would need a man with no soul to do that, though.

• Flaming_MMOFlaming_MMO Member Posts: 137
    Originally posted by Nasa

I guess he went all transgender on us.  Must be where the money is now or something.

I look forward to meeting mistresses Shamino and Iolo in game.

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

Signed up for beta, I think I will break with the tradition of many posters here and judge a game by actually......

Playing it..

I know, I know, I am going all radical and rebel here but I think it might work, hear me out.

See I could just jump on the Hate X mainstream publisher or Y revival or Z business model bandwagon (while of course reserving special love for who ever the darling flower child of the internet at the time is).  But instead, what I want to do is actually see if a product provides me with entertainment, if it does... I will provide its makers with cash, if it doesnt, I will look for some one else to give my money to.

What a novel idea.

Now back to the anti mainstream agenda.. ahh yes to the TESO forums to bash another game I have yet to see any gameplay footage of and have not yet played!!!!

• ValasAzuviirValasAzuviir Member Posts: 27
    Originally posted by Nasa

Iirc, Richard Garriot owns the rights to that name, so they can't use it without forking over some dosh to him.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Recalls all of those mmorpg.com UO nostalgia articles in the recent past.

Eyes shift...growing look of cynical suspicion...naw, no way.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Kothoses

Signed up for beta, I think I will break with the tradition of many posters here and judge a game by actually......

Playing it..

I know, I know, I am going all radical and rebel here but I think it might work, hear me out.

See I could just jump on the Hate X mainstream publisher or Y revival or Z business model bandwagon (while of course reserving special love for who ever the darling flower child of the internet at the time is).  But instead, what I want to do is actually see if a product provides me with entertainment, if it does... I will provide its makers with cash, if it doesnt, I will look for some one else to give my money to.

What a novel idea.

Now back to the anti mainstream agenda.. ahh yes to the TESO forums to bash another game I have yet to see any gameplay footage of and have not yet played!!!!

It is quite alright because I bet you that 99% of the people bashing this game when they have seen zero game footage of it or even a screenshot of it for that matter have already signed up for CB and are secretly going inside "I WANT TO TRY IT, I WANT TO TRY IT!"

Smile