Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the point?

GosuRusha510GosuRusha510 Member Posts: 8

What's the point of doing instances at low level and at 80 over and over, if gear doesn't matter?

Comments

• deffbeedeffbee Member Posts: 12

Because it's supposed to be fun not a job.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by GosuRusha510

What's the point of doing instances at low level and at 80 over and over, if gear doesn't matter?

To have fun and get shinny gear.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

What's the point of playing any video game if gear doesn't matter?

• GosuRusha510GosuRusha510 Member Posts: 8

How is that fun? with no rewards?....what ever happen to risk and reward?

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    Women will want to have your baby's.
  • RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

gear matters to me.  i have put many many hours into trying to find that "perfect look" for my character and then many many more gathering items for alternate outfits i like.

if you don't enjoy playing the game or gathering cosmetic gear then you may just not like the game!  but gear matters, just not to you maybe.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

To have fun. Its as simple as that. They realise not everyone has fun unless there is a shiney reward at the end and they dont care. If the game is well done and well developed alot of people will have fun. Not everyone will though and thats fine. The carrot on a stick gear grinds are all over the place. Not every game has to have it.

• deffbeedeffbee Member Posts: 12

You get points to purchase cool looking gear, the whole motivation is for people to have fun not  grind out the dungeons over and over just too be disappointed that you didnt get the gear piece you wanted.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

What's the point of playing video games over and over if none of your in-game accomplishments matter in real life?

So your telling I can take my lvl 1 gear to 80 and not change a thing? How does that make sense? Enlighten me please.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

to this i would say there is reward, just not the +1 to stats reward you are focusing on.

there are more things in heaven and earth, GosuRusha510, than are dreamt of in your philosophy!

Its hard to explain to someone who grew up in a generation where everything has to be rewarded. I'm not tryin to be an ass its just the truth. When you grow up in an era where graduating pre-school requires a celebration you simply wont understand how someone can just do something and think its fun without getting a reward at the end. To some of us if its fun doing it the "reward" the the accomplishment of doing it in the first place.

That and like others have said. Looking badass is something. I mean even in WOW no one really cares what your stats are. They can tell how "powerfull" you are by the way you LOOK.

• BrainDeadGBrainDeadG Member Posts: 30

A neat trick would have the dungeons differ each time a player goes inside. That way it's not the same instance they just completed 15 minutes or so ago.

Originally posted by xenogias

Its hard to explain to someone who grew up in a generation where everything has to be rewarded. I'm not tryin to be an ass its just the truth. When you grow up in an era where graduating pre-school requires a celebration you simply wont understand how someone can just do something and think its fun without getting a reward at the end. To some of us if its fun doing it the "reward" the the accomplishment of doing it in the first place.

That and like others have said. Looking badass is something. I mean even in WOW no one really cares what your stats are. They can tell how "powerfull" you are by the way you LOOK.

That makese sense, Thanks

So your telling I can take my lvl 1 gear to 80 and not change a thing? How does that make sense? Enlighten me please.

No, gear DOES make a diffrence. But its not such a huge gap as people are used to. At endgame its not a treadmill as in "I need tier1 to have a chance in tier2". Its "Ok I got some level 80 gear, now I can do everything my skill allows me to do. Now to work on looking badass."

Sure if you have basic level 80 gear and the other person has legendary 80 gear they are going to be slightly more powerfull than you. But not so much that you would stand no chance against them.

• QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450

You will probably get loadsamoney and neat looking armor. Also you can salvage armor for supplies and make armor upgrades.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

OK, lemme try to clear some things up for you.

1) You can go to any zone or dungeon your level or lower and gain meaningful xp, gold, and loot. That means you can go help a friend roll a new toon, explore zone starter zone you've never been to before, get exploration achievements...and still get something meaningful out of it. 

2) While gear doesn't OWN the game like in WoW, starts do still mean something. You won't take the same gear with you from 1-80. But if you find designs you like you CAN transmute them, similar to how wow does it. The main reason to run dungeons, especially at max level, is to obtain these special designed cosmetic armors for transmuting.

3) Even after cap you raise xp. When you would "level" (e.g. when you would in theory hit 81), your bar resets, and you gain a skill point. These can be used to buy skills, or to fund other cool things like help making very very rare pieces of gear (again, mostly cosmetic, not for stats). So even getting xp matters at max level.

Did that help any?

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683
    Originally posted by BrainDeadG

A neat trick would have the dungeons differ each time a player goes inside. That way it's not the same instance they just completed 15 minutes or so ago.

Sorry for the double post, but had to comment.

This is somewhat possible in GW2 actually. Once you complete a dungeon's normal "story" mode once, you unlock explorable mode. Most dungeons have 3 explorable mode paths, with different bosses and challenges.

It won't be different every time you go in; but you will have some way to mix it up a little.

• friednietzfriednietz Member Posts: 118

To have a fun activity to do with my friends and others.

Originally posted by terrant

1) You can go to any zone or dungeon your level or lower and gain meaningful xp, gold, and loot. That means you can go help a friend roll a new toon, explore zone starter zone you've never been to before, get exploration achievements...and still get something meaningful out of it. 

2) While gear doesn't OWN the game like in WoW, starts do still mean something. You won't take the same gear with you from 1-80. But if you find designs you like you CAN transmute them, similar to how wow does it. The main reason to run dungeons, especially at max level, is to obtain these special designed cosmetic armors for transmuting.

3) Even after cap you raise xp. When you would "level" (e.g. when you would in theory hit 81), your bar resets, and you gain a skill point. These can be used to buy skills, or to fund other cool things like help making very very rare pieces of gear (again, mostly cosmetic, not for stats). So even getting xp matters at max level.

Did that help any?

ahhhh gotcha, ok that made more sense,  Thanks all!

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

A +427 sword of toss is not a reward when you already have a +425 sword of the hamster. Where is the 'risk' in running the same instance time and time again to get 'geared up' to run the next instance time and time again. Leave the wheel running to the hamsters. That is not content and is a flawed model too.
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430

Everything should not have to be rewarded but some sense of progress in my toons development would be more than welcome. There are lots of action/arcade games where you do stuff 'just for fun', but in any type of an rpg the fun comes from developing your character.

Originally posted by terrant

Did that help any?

ahhhh gotcha, ok that made more sense,  Thanks all!

Well put. And I would also like to say its refreshing to see someone ask this question and actually be looking for a real awnser instead of trolling.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Some people do it for the achievements much like people do on xbox live and PSN. Some people do it just to look cool.

Originally posted by Gorilla

A +427 sword of toss is not a reward when you already have a +425 sword of the hamster. Where is the 'risk' in running the same instance time and time again to get 'geared up' to run the next instance time and time again. Leave the wheel running to the hamsters. That is not content and is a flawed model too.

I wouldnt call it a flawed model. Lots of people like that model. Just like lots of people like GW2's model. I used to love the gear grind. Its just not for me anymore.