Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You think diablo 3 feedback was a "wake up" call of some sort?

Comments

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Axehilt
    Originally posted by Theocritus

D3 may not have turned out to be what alot of the users wanted, but bottom line is it made money and that is all these companies care about really.

They all chase money, but Blizzard has historically chased money seriously.

Meaning: they care about what you think about this game because it affects their next game's viability.

Plenty of companies can make a short-term buck.  But only quality companies make money game after game after game.  Blizzard's reputation makes them billions of dollars, so I imagine they had hoped they did better with Diablo 3 (otherwise they wouldn't have posted openly admitting that the item hunt in D3 isn't a compelling enough endgame.)

Pretty much this.  The real test is does blizzard think they could sell the same or more box titles of Diablo 4 based on what they did in D3?  My guess is no, and probably blizzards guess to, which is why we probably won't ever see that title.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    Originally posted by Theocritus

D3 may not have turned out to be what alot of the users wanted, but bottom line is it made money and that is all these companies care about really.

They all chase money, but Blizzard has historically chased money seriously.

Meaning: they care about what you think about this game because it affects their next game's viability.

Plenty of companies can make a short-term buck.  But only quality companies make money game after game after game.  Blizzard's reputation makes them billions of dollars, so I imagine they had hoped they did better with Diablo 3 (otherwise they wouldn't have posted openly admitting that the item hunt in D3 isn't a compelling enough endgame.)

Pretty much this.  The real test is does blizzard think they could sell the same or more box titles of Diablo 4 based on what they did in D3?  My guess is no, and probably blizzards guess to, which is why we probably won't ever see that title.

Who knows what happen in 10 years?

However, given the sales, i would bet that there will be a D3 expansion.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

Diablo 3 was about the RMAH. If it paved the way for every game to have a RMAH for the future remains to be seen.

I know I won't buy any game with a RMAH ever again.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• zekeofevzekeofev Member UncommonPosts: 240

I will never buy Blizzard ever again. Period.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by zymurgeist

You're going to see not one but two expansions to Diablo 3. The first expansion is well into production. Diablo 4 is a few years off. Diablo 3 was successful far beyond their expectations. After the huge volume of pre-orders they rushed extra boxes into production and still faced shortages. People complaining on forums can't tarnish a level of success most gaming companies only dream about. The only real question now is how well will Heart of the Swarm fare?

It's going to be a lot longer than "a few years" between D3 and D4, if it comes at all.

It was more than 10 years between D2 and D3...

Heart of the Swarm should be immune to Diablo's performance, as they're two separate teams and SC2 pretty much met or exceeded expectations (although personally I would've liked for it to be a new multiplayer game, since I spent years mastering SC1 and actually wasn't looking for nearly the exact same game with SC2.)  

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Souldrainer
    My thoughts of D3 are all negative, so I am not allowed to express my thoughts about the game... so I won't. I will say this. By comparasin, EA and Bioware have been relentless in their efforts to turn around the negative feedback for ME3. I keep seeing more and more free DLC announced for that game every week... extended cut endings, and a new "Earth" pack on the horizon. With D3, I have yet to even see much acknowledgment of failure. Maybe it's too soon, or maybe they do not care.

Thank freaking God...RELEASE THE DOVES!!! Victory is ours!!! 

Originally posted by zekeofev

Good for you! Stick to your guns! Even if they release an AMAZING game that everyone on the planet plays and it's decried the greatest game ever made...don't buy it...you said you wouldn't. Period.

• xdemonhunterxdemonhunter Member Posts: 31

You're going to see not one but two expansions to Diablo 3. The first expansion is well into production. Diablo 4 is a few years off. Diablo 3 was successful far beyond their expectations. After the huge volume of pre-orders they rushed extra boxes into production and still faced shortages. People complaining on forums can't tarnish a level of success most gaming companies only dream about. The only real question now is how well will Heart of the Swarm fare?

It's going to be a lot longer than "a few years" between D3 and D4, if it comes at all.

Heart of the Swarm should be immune to Diablo's performance, as they're two separate teams and SC2 pretty much met or exceeded expectations (although personally I would've liked for it to be a new multiplayer game, since I spent years mastering SC1 and actually wasn't looking for nearly the exact same game with SC2.)  

I was speaking more to the issue of people claiming Blizzard has lost it's golden touch and thinking that it matters if they personally ever buy another Blizzard game. Blizzard does need to tread some new ground and create some new franchises for the long term.

I dont fully agree with u on this one. Diablo 3 was this huge sucess despite most people that bought it disliking the game and all the negative feedback due to 2 major things:

1-Blizzard has built alot of credibility in terms of release quality games, regardless what anyone personally think about the company u cant deny that the general gamer population see blizzard as an example of great games

2-Combination of alot of marking plus the huge fanbase of the diablo 1 and 2 that were eager to buy the new game, highest pre-order sale anyone? Even if the game was bad this was a decisive factor for it to sell so well. Alot of people bought the game without checking reviews or trying a beta first.

Now u dont have to be a genius to see alot of those players are very unhappy with the game they got, and those same players might be inclined not to just buy anything blizzard releases without at least researching it first a bit. One bad game aint enought to bring down a company as big and sucessfull as blizzard but it can affect there profits and future releases, what remains to be seen is if they gonna keep with this model and if it gonna blow up on their faces (1 game might not take down a companys credibility but a series of bad games will) or if they gonna take the feedback and make a better game that would mean better reviews and possibily bigger profits.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

I think the developers care about feedback and want to continue to make the best possible gaming experience for the majority of their players (current and prospective).

I was not following the game and had no intentions of buying it. I played Diablo 2 alot back in college, but the RMAH and the always online thing kind of put me off. A friend of mine got the game for free because of the 1yr WoW sub deal they had going and he gave me his buddy key. I assured him I was not looking to spend $60 for a game any time soon. Installed the game and fell in love with it. Bought it and have been playing it for almost a month now.

I'm not a Blizzard fanboy and I understand everyones concerns about the game, but it really is a good game despite it's flaws. The only thing that really worries me now is that the developers intend to keep tinkering with the game. Most of the time that is a good thing, but I've had a couple experiences in the past where developer moves pretty much shut down my enjoyment of a game. I hope that doesn't happen, but even if it does, I've already got my money's worth from the game and plan to play it for a long time yet.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565
    Originally posted by Psychow

Good for you! Stick to your guns! Even if they release an AMAZING game that everyone on the planet plays and it's decried the greatest game ever made...don't buy it...you said you wouldn't. Period.

Some people dont like mainstream products. That includes games, music, books, food, art and almost everything. If the product is intended for broadest possible audience I will probably not like it. A game that everyone on the planet plays is not for me. A really good game intended for me and people like me would have to be a nishe game. A game few mainstream consumers would want to play...

I think future Blizzard games will be very mainstream and bland and they will try hard not to offend anyone. They will certainly be good from a business POV.

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

I had great fun for around 180 hours of playtime, more than Skyrim, more than GTAs, more than almost every non MMO game I played. I'll be dipping back in on occasion to see how far I can get with a HC character.

I was underwhelmed by the story and i wish there was more random events to make maps feel less linear.

When the PVP patch hits though, I'll be all in again for a while.

Originally posted by Hurvart

Some people dont like mainstream products. That includes games, music, books, food, art and almost everything. If the product is intended for broadest possible audience I will probably not like it. A game that everyone on the planet plays is not for me. A really good game intended for me and people like me would have to be a nishe game. A game few mainstream consumers would want to play...

I think future Blizzard games will be very mainstream and bland and they will try hard not to offend anyone. They will certainly be good from a business POV.

Yeah, I know the type. [mod edit]

But it's their choice. If they want to feel like a special flower and only enjoy things aimed specifically at them, they can do that.

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489

I actually like the game. The combat feels nice, I like the graphics, it was a fun story to me.

I don't like that when my ISP has problems, and they always do when I'm about to go to a boss fight, that my single player game stops working.

Online should've been a big deal for the game. But it really shouldn't have affected my playing the game. Due to the storms recently I can't stay connected at all (the ISP's excuse anyway) so I can't get out of the 2nd chapter with my monk.

That's my only problem with it.

a yo ho ho

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Auto-cynic™ response:

Yes, they had to wake up and spend some cash, or the stacks of bills would cut off their air supply.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by Magnum2103

No, considering the amount of money they made off the game I'm sure they don't care that much about player feedback.

Ditto.  They are just written off as a vocal minority.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Originally posted by Valua
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Originally posted by Valua

Fastest selling PC game of all time, 9 million copies sold, hundreds of million of dollars made.

If anything, expect more like this.

Where did you get the 9 million number?

I read it somewhere, I'll try and find the link.

But that number is very believable, if not low if you consider this fact;

"Activision Blizzard reported that Diablo III had broken the one-day PC sales records, accumulating over 3.5 million sales in the first 24 hours after release and over 6.3 million sales in its first week"

That's 6.3 million copies in the first week, wouldn't surprise me if Diablo 3 had hit over 10 million easy.

They haven't announced anything since then.  So 6.3 million is the only legit number atm.

There were "a lot" of players that felt the same way about Diablo 2, Warcraft 3, Starcraft 2, WoW, and every WoW expansion. They're very vocal about it.  Yet Blizzard continues to set new records with each release. So what is "a lot" anyway? Clearly it has not been the majority or even a significant minority because with each release sales increase sometimes by as much as a factor or two. D3 sold in one week more that D2 sold from it's release until the D3 launch.  Until there is actually a downturn in sales at launch, something Blizzard has never experienced, predictions that it will happen aren't worth the words wasted to make them. MoP may be the first but even then that will have more to do with WoW's decine in  popularity than any supposed failing of Blizzard's as a game producer.

Yeah, it's complete nonsense for the previous poster to imply "most people" that bought it weren't satisfied.

If significant numbers of players were being dissatsified in the first 20 hours, I could understand.  But we're talking about a typical $60 non-MMO RPG.  I dunno about everyone else, but non-MMO RPGs last 100-200 hours then I'm done, and D3 lasted  maybe 300 hours for me.  Well worth it.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

Nope, Blizzard made a lot of money with this.

They now know the RMAH works.

I wonder how long until WoW gets it.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

There were "a lot" of players that felt the same way about Diablo 2, Warcraft 3, Starcraft 2, WoW, and every WoW expansion. They're very vocal about it.  Yet Blizzard continues to set new records with each release. So what is "a lot" anyway? Clearly it has not been the majority or even a significant minority because with each release sales increase sometimes by as much as a factor or two. D3 sold in one week more that D2 sold from it's release until the D3 launch.  Until there is actually a downturn in sales at launch, something Blizzard has never experienced, predictions that it will happen aren't worth the words wasted to make them. MoP may be the first but even then that will have more to do with WoW's decine in  popularity than any supposed failing of Blizzard's as a game producer.

Yeah, it's complete nonsense for the previous poster to imply "most people" that bought it weren't satisfied.

If significant numbers of players were being dissatsified in the first 20 hours, I could understand.  But we're talking about a typical $60 non-MMO RPG.  I dunno about everyone else, but non-MMO RPGs last 100-200 hours then I'm done, and D3 lasted  maybe 300 hours for me.  Well worth it.

WoW....

300hrs thats like putting in 40hrs a week since release, just like a job. Each to there own I guess. I got about 12hrs out of it before I shelved it, repetative things just dont hold me for long.

300hrs holy shit

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I know a few people who will never buy a Blizzard game again, but I'm sure it's not going to affect them in the slightest way.  Even if every person I knew decided that they would never buy Blizzard products, I'm sure the company wouldn't care. I don't care about them, and they don't care about me.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

They made their cash. padded the Wow sub numbers for the next big call, and plainly told you to your faces you got ripped. pretty sad it took 11 years just to get punkd by blizzard.

Now with all the cash you guys gave them expect more craptastic games from them maybe even warcraft 4 with a cash shop and RMAH.

Better enjoy the pandas...it might be the only good thing they make until 3 years you get another expansion or Titan.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by laserit

WoW....

300hrs thats like putting in 40hrs a week since release, just like a job. Each to there own I guess. I got about 12hrs out of it before I shelved it, repetative things just dont hold me for long.

300hrs holy shit

I'm surprised you play video games at all!!

Moderation is the key, my friend.

There is a hell of a lot of things I like in life along with video games. Been playing them since the very beginning. The vast majority of them these days have that been there done that feel.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• xdemonhunterxdemonhunter Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by xdemonhunter

I was speaking more to the issue of people claiming Blizzard has lost it's golden touch and thinking that it matters if they personally ever buy another Blizzard game. Blizzard does need to tread some new ground and create some new franchises for the long term.

I dont fully agree with u on this one. Diablo 3 was this huge sucess despite most people that bought it disliking the game and all the negative feedback due to 2 major things:

1-Blizzard has built alot of credibility in terms of release quality games, regardless what anyone personally think about the company u cant deny that the general gamer population see blizzard as an example of great games

2-Combination of alot of marking plus the huge fanbase of the diablo 1 and 2 that were eager to buy the new game, highest pre-order sale anyone? Even if the game was bad this was a decisive factor for it to sell so well. Alot of people bought the game without checking reviews or trying a beta first.

Now u dont have to be a genius to see alot of those players are very unhappy with the game they got, and those same players might be inclined not to just buy anything blizzard releases without at least researching it first a bit. One bad game aint enought to bring down a company as big and sucessfull as blizzard but it can affect there profits and future releases, what remains to be seen is if they gonna keep with this model and if it gonna blow up on their faces (1 game might not take down a companys credibility but a series of bad games will) or if they gonna take the feedback and make a better game that would mean better reviews and possibily bigger profits.

Yeah i agree unless we get actual numbers concerning diablo 3 it is pretty hard to predict whats gonna happen. All im saying is so far we only have the numbers of its first day/week sales and i explained why those numbers were as high as they were.To be able to give an accurace prediction on whats gonna happen we would need stuff like total amount of players on first couple months and now (to see if there was a big drop pointing out it negative feedback and bad game pushed people off) and sales on the first couple months and the months that followed (it would be expected for the number of sales to decrease after release but a huge  decline would mean that all the voicing had an effect on the sales). For better or for worse we dont have those things for now  but i still see the negative feedback affecting the company as a posibility unlike u that seems to completely rule it out.Of course anyone can have whatever opnion they want just saying u should be at least open to the possiblity even if it is pretty unlikely.

Originally posted by laserit

WoW....

300hrs holy shit

You must have a pretty fun job.

I make games for a living, and even my job isn't as fun as D3 was.

I'm pretty sure I didn't spend 40hrs a week since release so maybe my numbers are off, but I know my main had like 100-120 hours, and I also had two other 60s and a mid-50 character.  

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by TGSOL

D3 is literally the only video game I've ever bought that I actually feel ashamed about purchasing. Like, it's actually a little embaressing to admit that I paid real money to line Blizzard's pocket for what I should've known was little more than a steaming pile.

I just keep telling myself "maybe in a year they'll get their ... together and this will actually be a worthwhile game that I can feel good about owning," but...

I didn't actually buy d3 but subbed to wow for a year. WHAT WAS I THINKING!!!!??!?!?!?! lol.