Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Developer Chat in 30 Minutes!

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Nothing says it quite like the devs themselves: "ArenaNet's Eric Flannum and Colin Johanson are going to be chatting live on our Twitch TV channel in just about one hour. Join them as they explain how both single and multi-player RPGs have evolved and how GW2 showcases these changes. Then learn how they plan to tackle one of the genres most challenging aspects: The End Game."

If you have questions about this topic, feel free to tweet them to us @arenanet and we'll try to answer as many as we can at the end of the talk.

http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2

Head to the link above in about thirty minutes to participate!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

they are giving some beta keys too, if you answer trivia question :)

edit: not anymore i think

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

at work atm.  would love to read the  interview after- please ask them 'why they changed of map- and why they cut down the detail graphics throughout the interface of the game.'

thanks!

:(

It's over. Some interesting stuff.

They talked about Orr region that will have tons of end game content, where players have to defend some temple pillars or something, that region won't have renown hearts....can't remeber details

There will be end game weapons: Legendary weapons, that cannot be just bought from other people, you must do lots of stuff from all parts of the world, collecting components and making that weapon that will be cool looking but not super powered to give you advantage over people who dont have time for it.

There will be 8 dungeons and most of them will be at lv 80.

Gw2 will have holiday/season events like Mad King. The difference is that it will have VOICE OVER! Yep! All those jokes will be heard now :D

• Maverick827Maverick827 Member Posts: 71
    [Quote]making that weapon that will be cool looking but not super powered to give you advantage over people who dont have time for it.[/quote]Blizzard said the same exact thing about raid loot during interviews before WoW launched. I'm not buying it, Anet.
  • DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053
    Originally posted by Maverick827
    [Quote]making that weapon that will be cool looking but not super powered to give you advantage over people who dont have time for it.[/quote]Blizzard said the same exact thing about raid loot during interviews before WoW launched. I'm not buying it, Anet.

Why don't you buy it?

They don't provide a statistical advantage, they just look cool and have some neat looking effects.

Recording:

Skip to 4:00 (first 4 minutes is just logo)

After that for a minute there's some audio problem and then it clears up.

• garretthgarretth Member UncommonPosts: 343

won't play for me

• VagabondLifeVagabondLife Member Posts: 91

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/ on the front page.

• DamarusofktDamarusofkt Member UncommonPosts: 74

Logic would suggest that if Blizz lied about it, all others must be as well ;)

Leader of Knights Templar
    GW2 IGN: Damarus
    knights-templar.com

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    I like what they had to say. If the weapons ever turn out like they did for blizz then so be it, I'm sure blizz had a reason for it, they did make a pretty successful mmorpg after all, personally keeping the gear grind away from a stat advantage is a plus in my book, let's hope they stick to it.
  • MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

What they told about Orr sounds very intriguing. Seems to be a little bit like a daily-quest-zone in WoW only that the environment changes all the time.

And again they promised to add new DEs as the time goes on.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• HonnerHonner Member Posts: 504

is there any copy of this ? I missed...

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2/b/324689481

skip a couple minutes ahead.

• Maverick827Maverick827 Member Posts: 71
    Originally posted by Damarusofkt

Actually, no.  I don't consider what Blizzard did lying.  The point is that, clearly, the successful model is "make your players chase awesome gear with better stats."  You can argue that GW2 always deviates a bit from the standard model, but I don't think deviating here will work.  I fully anticipate them renegging on this in the future.

To use another example from a game I am more in favor of, early on SWTOR said that they didn't believe a full raid beting on one giant boss was "heroic."  And yet that's all we have.  Did BioWare lie?  No, they just realized that inventing the wheel is sometimes not a good idea.

If they pull it off, good for them.  I probably won't be playing for a host of other reasons.  I just seriously doubt it will last, if it even exists at all.

• khamul787khamul787 Member UncommonPosts: 193

Actually, no.  I don't consider what Blizzard did lying.  The point is that, clearly, the successful model is "make your players chase awesome gear with better stats."  You can argue that GW2 always deviates a bit from the standard model, but I don't think deviating here will work.  I fully anticipate them renegging on this in the future.

To use another example from a game I am more in favor of, early on SWTOR said that they didn't believe a full raid beting on one giant boss was "heroic."  And yet that's all we have.  Did BioWare lie?  No, they just realized that inventing the wheel is sometimes not a good idea.

If they pull it off, good for them.  I probably won't be playing for a host of other reasons.  I just seriously doubt it will last, if it even exists at all.

Worked just fine for Guild Wars. Deviating from increased stats will work pergectly well. I see no reason why it shouldn't.

• PuraimaruPuraimaru Member UncommonPosts: 68

Arenanet have kept their promises and I can trust they will keep this promise as well :D Since this game doesn't make you compete in PVE the advantage is void anyways if it does happen that is.

• IntrinsicIntrinsic Member UncommonPosts: 60

ArenaNet said they wouldn't do this in GW1 and they didn't, so when they say they aren't doing it in GW2 i have no doubt they are telling the truth.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

That ultimate greatsword... that will be mine. Just the description of it... combined from two legendary greatswords, one that looks like a slice of the daytime sky, the other a slice of the nighttime sky such that the effect will change with the day-night cycle... I mean... uhhhh... I'll be in my bunk.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Love the fact this game is skill based not gear based. This alone has won me as a customer. Death to the gear treadmill, viva la revolution!!!!

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by Volkon

That ultimate greatsword... that will be mine. Just the description of it... combined from two legendary greatswords, one that looks like a slice of the daytime sky, the other a slice of the nighttime sky such that the effect will change with the day-night cycle... I mean... uhhhh... I'll be in my bunk.

Bring back Firefly!

I want the Unicorn Rainbow Bow!

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?