Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Too late for WoW?

Faran_BrygoFaran_Brygo Member UncommonPosts: 19
In a nutshell, was a hardcore old school crpg player (and old enough to have played through the Gold Box series) but got into MMO’s very late. First MMO was LOTRO, primarily due to my interest in the source literature. Was happy with that for about 3 years, but game changes orchestrated by Turbine led me to lose interest and ultimately stop playing. Went outside the fantasy realm for my next MMO, Fallen Earth, and played that for about a year. Ultimately, my interest waned as end game looked to be heading down the road to only PvP stuff, something I’m not particularly interested in.

Been playing Rift now since launch. Still fun and Trion really seems to be working to keep content coming, but I generally get a sense that I’m just spinning my wheels with it at this point. Basically, I’d like to find something else to waste some time on, perhaps just long enough for Guild Wars 2 to come out, but maybe longer. Would the 500lb gorila, WoW, be one to consider or is it much too late in the game for that? Also considering The Secret World, but since I’m looking to get into something new soon, not sure if I want to pick up a game that has just launched. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.

I knew I should have taken that left turn at Albuquerque...

Comments

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608

Nah never to late, hop on you will love it. The dungeon finder at lvl 10 makes it fairly quick to lvl up. And really fun.

Who know you may get hooked :)

• Sandman24Sandman24 Member Posts: 47

Wow is a solid game.  It has changed a lot and is marketed more to kids these days IMO, however, solid.  If you are wanting something to tide you over I would suggest the F2P route myself.  

TSW is very very good with the exception of the clunky combat which caused me to get a refund on my pre order.  Lots of other games with other settings (eve, coh, etc) that are very fun to play as well.

I would suggest reading and researching yourself though.  Asking someone what thier opinion is you wil get just that, thier opinion, thier likes and dislikes.

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

It's never too late for wow.  Since it's easy to catch up.  Basically every expansion all the old content is obsolete.  So if you just level up to max level, you are in the same page as everyone else.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848

If you are considering WoW then decide quickly because this week they are having a sale.

$30 buys you everything.

Also, because each expansion basically resets gear progression its easy for new players to get into the game without having the pressure of playing "catch up".

• Faran_BrygoFaran_Brygo Member UncommonPosts: 19

Thanks for the info on pricing. Probably not ready to move in that quickly but will keep it in mind. As suggested above, F2P games might be best for me to get a temporary fix while waiting, but Turbine's move to that style game (even though you can still sub too) really left a bad taste in my mouth for paying for stuff incrementally. I'd rather pay it all up front or sub.

I knew I should have taken that left turn at Albuquerque...

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Just started playing Tribes: Ascend while I wait on GW2. I have to say, it's a freakin' blast. I had no idea, saw it advertised on Steam. It should do nicely for a month or two. image

Oderint, dum metuant.

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

Believe me after i tried so many new mmo's i always return to wow. It is simply the best game ever created. You have so many things to do. So many achivements in pve, pvp, world exploring, celebrations are marked in calender and you have to play mini games to earn some mount or gear. Most interesting pvp with so many battlegrounds and the best thing is invasion on opposing faction cities in open world pvp. From sound to lore it is everything amazing. Every class is interesting to play so you wish to level them all (what i did) and you find joy in playing all of them. Huge lands with diverse landscapes. Nothing can beat  today in mmo world glorious battles between Alliance and Horde. Do not listen to haters and try to level one class to level 85 and you will be hooked for sure

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835

If you have never played WoW but generally like MMO's there is very little reason to not give it a go.  While there is a certain portion of the MMO gamer market who do genuinely dislike it (and that's perfectly valid, not all games suite all play styles) it has been my experience the majority of those who don't play it anymore are just bored of what it has to offer.  For someone who has never tried it, WoW is a great place to call home, even if only for a short period of time.  Afterall, the majority of other offerings out their tend to only attract people for a few months these days anyway so it's not like you'd be doing any worse/better with another random popular MMO.

• Yodi2007Yodi2007 Member Posts: 167
    Originally posted by Faran_Brygo
    In a nutshell, was a hardcore old school crpg player (and old enough to have played through the Gold Box series) but got into MMO’s very late. First MMO was LOTRO, primarily due to my interest in the source literature. Was happy with that for about 3 years, but game changes orchestrated by Turbine led me to lose interest and ultimately stop playing. Went outside the fantasy realm for my next MMO, Fallen Earth, and played that for about a year. Ultimately, my interest waned as end game looked to be heading down the road to only PvP stuff, something I’m not particularly interested in.

Been playing Rift now since launch. Still fun and Trion really seems to be working to keep content coming, but I generally get a sense that I’m just spinning my wheels with it at this point. Basically, I’d like to find something else to waste some time on, perhaps just long enough for Guild Wars 2 to come out, but maybe longer. Would the 500lb gorila, WoW, be one to consider or is it much too late in the game for that? Also considering The Secret World, but since I’m looking to get into something new soon, not sure if I want to pick up a game that has just launched. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.

If you liked Rift and never played wow you'll like it! I played for some years off and on till 2010 when i just finally hung it up and deleted all my toons!

WoW to me seen it's better days! i miss the 40 man raids, I miss the team work in AV and other BG's (pre-lets farm points for gear), and ect My first MMO was Eq but i could not get into it, but my first to play and stick with was FF11. Wait for TSW oh lets say 3-6 months alot of MMO these days are launching in a poor state!

Below is where we can disscuss and come up with new ideas for Sandparks!

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5164689#5164689

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780

There's no reason not to try WoW. The trial is unlimited up to a max lvl of 20, at which point you should know whether or not you enjoy the game.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by Faran_Brygo

TSW is a completely different experience than you are used to.  Do research on it, and if it sounds cool to you dont hesitate.  The fact its new isnt an issue, as there are relatively few bugs and the launch has been overall very smooth.

As for WoW, youll probably have a lot of fun with it.  The main issues with WoW are endgame related, and are some of the exact same issues present in Rift anyway.  But youll  likely greatly enjoy the leveling process in WoW and get your moneys worth just off that.

• Belly1974Belly1974 Member Posts: 20

I've been playing WoW on and off for years now... I sometimes go back to it and have fun for a while, but always leave at 85.  It's mainly because I'm really sick of gear grinding now (but that's just me personally).  I agree with an earlier post it does seem to be aimed more at kids now... But I still love levelling up a new toon now and again... As far as communities go, WoW has some of the best and some of the worst I've played so far, but if you can find a good server/ guild then you should be okay :)

I'd say give it a go, I like the levelling process more now since Cata (especially 1-70 :) )

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

With the expansion coming out it's actually a perfect time to get into WoW. For better or worse, expansions pretty much wipe a clean slate as far as progression is concerned. You missed a lot of fun times in WoW, but the dungeons and everything can be fairly fun if you're into that sort of thing.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    Originally posted by helthros

With the expansion coming out it's actually a perfect time to get into WoW. For better or worse, expansions pretty much wipe a clean slate as far as progression is concerned. You missed a lot of fun times in WoW, but the dungeons and everything can be fairly fun if you're into that sort of thing.

Also, since the expansion adds a new race, there will be lots of people starting over playing on lower level areas.. :)

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

If you find yourself looking at WoW and you're already playing Rift, stay where you are.  You've already seen the best the WoW has to offer without giving the Actiblizz collective a single dime.  Continue spending your money on a developer who's actually working hard for your business.

If you want something completely different, TSW might rock your boat.  The combat looks pretty sucktastic, but people seem to be quite smitten with everything else.  Might be worth your time.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Even though I haven't played WoW in several years, I have to say it's a solid, fun, game to play. It would be good for you to pass the time with, Guild Wars 1 would also be a good choice, because you can get Hall of monuments points from playing it to get items for GW2. I really don't care for GW1 but I made myself play it until I got my 30/50 points.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

I think this time is not perfect for WoW, TBC was better, but it can still provide a decent leveling experience, especially for someone who hasn't played it before. It's just quite dated at this point, and some of the Cataclysm modifications streamlined it a bit too much. You will also probably be alone. Current leveling implementation is a mix of the effects of various WoW expansions. The up-to-level-20 trial gives you access to the classic races, and the content you will see is Cataclysm level content (classic content was erased). This is how the game is 1-60 and 80-85.

I suggest starting with the trial, and if you still want to play, get the deal if you're confident or just upgrade up to one version.

I do not agree that Rift represents WoW terribly well. While Rift is representative of WoW's endgame mechanics, I feel WoW manages the overal leveling experience, including questing, combat, skills, classes, lore, map and mob management, etc., far, far better than Rift. I had a Rift sub running that I just couldn't play anymore because it took half an hour to kill one mob and really do anything (MOB DENSITY FFS), but I jumped into a WoW trial for giggles and had a blast just leveling an orc warrior to level 15.

• xxlilDevilxxxxlilDevilxx Member UncommonPosts: 245

1 question: Why is this inside World of Tanks forum?

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by xxlilDevilxx

1 question: Why is this inside World of Tanks forum?

Same.

I did a discount double check on what forum I was in.  I reported the thread so the mods can move it to WoW.

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859

If you enjoy The Grind, then sure, go right ahead. Everything, even pvp, in WoW is a grind.

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    Originally posted by busdriver

If you enjoy The Grind, then sure, go right ahead. Everything, even pvp, in WoW is a grind.

"Grind" is subjective. Of all MMO's I've played, WoW is probably the least grindy.

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

I havent played WoW since a month after Cataclysm came out. I played for six years or so. I didnt quit because of Cataclysm, i had actually kinda quit before that but i wanted to see how Cataclysm was (it was awesome) before i finally stopped and to see if i was still ready to quit even after playing Cataclysm, i was. I loved the game it was just time to stop playing is all.

In the six years i played it, it was ever growing, ever changing, ever beautiful and ever fun. I loved it. There is so much content in the game its insane, so much content that you probably wont even do it all because its not necessary to do it all. There is plenty of end game even tho the hardcores still want more and more of course. =)

Give the trial a go for sure, see what you think.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

If you're looking for something to hold you over until August 28th then it is a little late for WoW. 

However  if GW2 was not on your horizon I would gladly reccommend WoW if you haven't raided before. It is an experience I will never forget. (the good and the bad combined)

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by newbinator

"Grind" is subjective. Of all MMO's I've played, WoW is probably the least grindy.

WOW's levelling process isn't grindy at all. WOW's endgame, however, has more grinds than any other game... in fact, the amount of endgame grinding is both a bane and a boon. If your idea of fun is going from one tier of grnds to another about 6 times, followed by a complete progrssion wipe every 2 years, then you will love WOW.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by newbinator

Sort of. The grind to 85 was easy. The real grind in WoW starts at max level. All previous grind is MEANINGLESS.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?