Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What TES Online fans are saying

SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Here is a collection of some of the things I have heard from the defenders of zenimax. All  paraphrased

1. even though the developers said 'housing is not possible as players want them' what they really meant was 'they might put in housing later on after the game is released for awhile'.

2. because Skyrim is a single player game NONE of the features other than lore can be ported to TES Online.

3. FPS combat isnt possible in an MMO

4. I dont want FPS combat in an MMO although in a single player game with multiplayer function that is fine but those multiplayer features are nothing more than shooters and because an RPG demands more than just a shooter element and because those games arent RPG therefore its either not possible in an MMO at all or it would just be a shooter with no RPG elements and besides, those are single player games. Reason for this is because we are unable to differentiate between a feature and the entire game.

5. Any feature from another MMO used as an example will require the ENTIRE GAME to be evaluated and not just the one feature under discussion.

6. If it cant be EXACTLY like the example provided then it cant be done and has to be completely different.

I think that covers most of the arguements.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Comments

• i'm not expecting skyrim online at all. i figure it will be a standard themepark with the lore and zones of TES. it is what it is. there are a lot of reason's why skyrim wouldn't work as a MMORPG. a small mulitplayer online would work to a degree imo, but not with a thousand people or whatever per server.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by Daddydazzle

i'm not expecting skyrim online at all. i figure it will be a standard themepark with the lore and zones of TES. it is what it is. there are a lot of reason's why skyrim wouldn't work as a MMORPG. a small mulitplayer online would work to a degree imo, but not with a thousand people or whatever per server.

my point is that TES fans think the only two options are EXACTLY or almost exactly like TES

Or

radically different from TES.

somewhere in between the two ridiculous extreemes is totally possible

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381

I dont see many TESO Fanbois and I think thats a GREAT thing. Hype level is 6.5 only, awesome...I hope it goes to the 5s. What I think most here want is a niche game that appeals to those who want old school feel in a new school skin.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287

TESO has fans?

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by Poison_Adele

TESO has fans?

DAoC refugees.

TES fans have already stated their complaints, repeatedly. All doe-eyed optimizm is 100% from DAoC fans.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

Originally posted by ZigZags

I dont see many TESO Fanbois and I think thats a GREAT thing. Hype level is 6.5 only, awesome...I hope it goes to the 5s. What I think most here want is a niche game that appeals to those who want old school feel in a new school skin.

ironically I think the vast majority of TES fans are not TESO fans and the few that are TESO fans are not much of TES fans.

ironical

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by GTwander

TESO has fans?

DAoC refugees.

TES fans have already stated their complaints, repeatedly. All doe-eyed optimizm is 100% from DAoC fans.

I'm an old school DAOC fan, loved the game at release and a few years after til they killed the game with ToA/New Frontiers. I have 0 interest in TESO. Never even played The elder scrolls, not my type of game.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Originally posted by Tayah
    Originally posted by GTwander

TESO has fans?

DAoC refugees.

I'm an old school DAOC fan, loved the game at release and a few years after til they killed the game with ToA/New Frontiers. I have 0 interest in TESO. Never even played The elder scrolls, not my type of game.

Im curious as to how someone that has zero interest in teso even found his way into this thread to post about his lack of interest.  Do you have some kind of forum software that alerts you when a thread is created with the letters DAoC in it?

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by ZigZags

Oh, but that will peobably only be until next year. Once the "new" factor goes away from the mmorpgs of this year, something more fresh will be required. Enter TESO. And as much as i wish i was kidding, i feel it is partially true.

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

MMO's aren't created as a mean to provide Gamers like yourself and myself a place to have fun and enjoy our time. They are a business first, therefore having an Niche Player base that only totals to a couple hundred thousand players is not enough to launch a game.

They know this, that they have to find some ways to get to the TES fans and bring them back to the game.

I understand that everyone wants the world to revolve around them,  and themselves only, but in reality, Games are created to generate revenue. If it doesn't attract enough players and generate enough profit, it will fail and no more support will be given.

What TES fans wants is really simple, they want the TES formula, they want to feel like they are playing an TES game.

They don't really care how its done, as long as the players when they play, feel like " hey this is very similiar to Skyrim, and Morrowind but different " it will be enough to get all the TES fans to buy it and play it for a few months.

Why housing is important?? because housing is where you hang up your armor that you have collected, where you would find your personal chest and store all the items you have been hoarding. The place that you want to show others what you have collected.

Why faction locked is unnecessary?? We don't want to feel bound to a certain faction , we want to explore all thats is available just because its there, climb that mountain because we can. Fight against our own race because I can. Play with other players just because I wanted to, but with faction locked, you can only play with the races that is in the same faction as yourself.

This is just the old formula of an MMO that doesn't have any TES feeling, I just hope that the next informations they give will shred some light on the TES formula that is in the TESO, otherwise it will just Alienate more of the fans .

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• HauvarnHauvarn Member Posts: 220

I was gonna give it a shot. (Not at release of course, swtor & D3 where the last to get me)  Then they made it where my orc couldn't play with my friends dark elf.  We both then said screw it.

Yes I played SWTOR.

Originally posted by Hauvarn

I was gonna give it a shot. (Not at release of course, swtor & D3 where the last to get me)  Then they made it where my orc couldn't play with my friends dark elf.  We both then said screw it.

if there was a like button here I would click it

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Man, I remember when I played Darkfall, one of the first things I thought was:

"Man, this is kind of like Oblivion (ESIV) if it were an MMORPG!"

Then after playing DF for a while I thought...

"Unfortunately, the game itself kind of sucks..."

And the reason DF kind of sucked, had nothing to do with the fact it was kind of like Oblviion...it sucked because well...it kind of sucked.  The world was just too empty, there was like nothing in it, and the whole game was designed around hardcore players that played constantly or macro'd, beating the living snot out of players who didn't have the time or the cheating prowess to catch up.

My point here is that DF really showed me that it is possible to have that ES experience in an MMORPG.  If DF was a AAA game, I really think it would have been good.

Also, the Ultima series shared a lot with the ES series.  Really, ES could kind of be considered a first person Ultima.  They both had very similar core design values of high object interactivity and world definition.

And when they came out with an Ultima MMORPG, it stayed very true to the Ultima roots.  UO was very much, "Ultima Online" if you get what I mean.

And now they are saying that ESO can't be anything like the SP game because it's just "not possible."

Bullshit. 

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• OntblodOntblod Member UncommonPosts: 195

TESO has fans?

Have you even read the official forums on ES site?

TESO is basiclly a sandbox in their eyes with never seen before features

and everything that is shown about TESO in articles and etc is praised and defended to the max,

so yea, it has fans.

Personally Im neutral negative(lol) with a high level of scepticism.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

how can there be TES Online fans already we dont have hardly any info about the game..

As for FPS combat in a MMORPG.. it works very well some of the best MMORPGs out there use FPS style combat.. Darkfall and Mortal online being the main ones.. Tera was a step in the right direction with its action type combat.. but FPS/action works very well..

• liliyoliliyo Member Posts: 43
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

planetside

firefall

dust514

defiance

Originally posted by liliyo
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

planetside

firefall

dust514

defiance

darkfall.

yes I know I was pointing out the crazy things people have been saying. Unless you are just adding to the list of FPS MMO games.

After following this game for sometime and hanging out at their facebook...Zenimax reminds me a lot of Bioware. I have literally 0 hype for this game, but I will check on it from time to time.

• ShutupEnplayShutupEnplay Member Posts: 8

I started with Morrowind and enjoyed it immensely. I can say I have never been so immersed in a game. Ever. I still have days where I can't wait to buy it again. I didn't have the pc for Oblivion and couldn't afford Skyrim just yet.

I played DAoC for as long as a free trial period allowed me to. I think I was most excited about monsters gradually rewarding more xp the longer they had gone untouched. I was still very much addicted to EverQuest.

I'm looking forward to the aspects of the game the devs have been showcasing. They feel different from what I've been doing in WoW since launch, since launch. WoW hasn't offered any noteworthy player mechanics; only mini-games, holiday events, non-combat pets, digging(that's right, as in digital dirt).

I don't expect ZMO to replicate that level of immersion from Morrowind. I'm looking forward to what they can bring us in gameplay. That's where they should be critqued. Have faith that Bethesda will assure us a legimate Tamriel. So ZMO only has to focus on gameplay.

It's speldt adventure.

• emestoemesto Member Posts: 55
    The combat system is definately going to be interesting. The biggest issue I forsee is lag, which is always a big issue. Especially in MMOs where you may have hundreds of players in one location at a time.
    I hope they bring a type of AoC style combat back to the MMO. Where buttons effect directional hits and blocking actually matters. Fatalities too.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    From what devs say
    I expect a lot of features from daoc, e.g. rvr focussed end game, separate pve area for each faction, open dungeons, less instancing than modern mmos
    Combat some what like gw2, e.g. active dodge, skills that change on weapon used, no tanks or threat mechanics (but TESO will have healers), also elements from tes like Sprint, active block, Sprint and stamina
    Crafting like tes single player
    Tes lore and look

Stuff I don't like
    3 classes (thrift, mage, warrior), rather have none
    Stuff from wow, raids & minigame let's pretend its a fps pvp.
  • demodardemodar Member UncommonPosts: 63

I do not know how to feel about this obviously they won't let us play in the future , but letting us play in the past o come on now .

Also i am really worried about the payment system they will pick  also gameplay . The lore in TOS games is always on top level so thats one thing they should never fail !

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Let's get real ok?

Zenimax have been developing TESO for few years already.  Game is late in production already.

If anyone thinks that at this stage of priduction it is possible to:

a)shift from 3rd person to fps game

b) themepark to sandbox

c)alternating any fundamental design decision

Then it is delusional.

Devs can make some 'last minute' changes but they won't be fundamental design changes.

From info released right now - TESO will be trainwreck similar to SWTOR and TSW.  

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363
    Originally posted by demodar

I do not know how to feel about this obviously they won't let us play in the future , but letting us play in the past o come on now .

Also i am really worried about the payment system they will pick  also gameplay . The lore in TOS games is always on top level so thats one thing they should never fail !

The same thing was said about lore in Star Wars.  Look at the official canon lore for Star Wars after TOR.  It's an absolute trainwreck from that time.  From the end of the Second Jedi Civil War to around the time of Episode I, the lore is constantly contradictory.

If anything, the lore is already pretty wacky. (with "imperials" representing the Empire officially launching worship of a Daedric prince as their religion??)  Expect it to get worse.

Hell, look at what WoW did.  In order to "advance" their game, they basically butchered all the lore before World of Warcraft.  (Muradin was only the most prominent example.)

Basically if you are looking for good lore, an MMO is most certainly not the way to go.