Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why did you quit this game?

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Two weeks after release, i have left this game behind.  

While the story is certainly among the best ever seen in a Questing/story based MMO, most of the non main quests are just some nicely wrapped packages that contain the same we know from other games. On top of that, i spend 80% of the game in combat and this is exactly the not so fun part of the game, those 7 buttons just dont allow for enough diversity.  Its not fun, despite the fact that combat actually is harder then in other MMO´s its still not fun, espescially solo combat, because you keep repeating the same skills over and over, and the mobs are very static, same type mob means exactly the same fight over and over.

So while the mainquests are just awesome, its not enough to keep me happy and playing the game.

I have played less and less during the last week and am wondering if this is just me or that there are also others having this same experience?

(Even SWTOR did get a hold of me for 4 weeks, in which i got to max level.)

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646

Same type of mobs? solomon island and egypt have nothing in common, mobs, landscape, settings and even the flow of story changes completely. And what do you mean about static? there is nothing static about mobs in TSW.

And if 7 skills bother you i wonder you will handle GW2 and it is limited skills? the skill set up is the main reason why i love TSW and why i pre ordered GW2.

But hey good luck, TSW wasn't for you for sure.

Also, another example why OP is incorrect. When you target mobs in TSW, it shows the effects they are immune to. Some for example can not be impared, others cant be hinered while some others have high magical protection. This means you have to keep changing skills because one build doesn't work on all. So yes OP is incorrect when he says same type of mobs mean same type of fights.

In solomon island alone i had 3 different type of builds for the same reasons i mentioned above.

• BlackndBlacknd Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

Same type of mobs? solomon island and egypt have nothing in common, mobs, landscape, settings and even the flow of story changes completely. And what do you mean about static? there is nothing static about mobs in TSW.

And if 7 skills bother you i wonder you will handle GW2 and it is limited skills? the skill set up is the main reason why i love TSW and why i pre ordered GW2.

Also, another example why OP is incorrect. When you target mobs in TSW, it shows the effects they are immune to. Some for example can not be impared, others cant be hinered while some others have high magical protection. This means you have to keep changing skills because one build doesn't work on all. So yes OP is incorrect when he says same type of mobs mean same type of fights.

In solomon island alone i had 3 different type of builds for the same reasons i mentioned above.

I think he means like a Draugr with a sword for an arm is the same fight, all the way from Kingsmouth to Blue Mountain. It has a ranged purple projectile and then it will move in to melee. It has a small PBAoE CC that you can move out of. The only thing that changes is how hard it hits from QL2 to QL6. So with a few exceptions, from Kingsmouth to Blue Mountain, you're facing the same types of mobs when it comes to zombies and Draugr. Like the zombie with medium amounts of HP that casts Sour Ground and hits moderately hard.

Regarding immunities, yeah I'm in the same boat. I like it though. My build revolves around Affliction and Penetration, so I have to heavily adjust against an Affliction resistant mob. Or be inferior against them and have like 5 wasted passives.

Oh, and I haven't quit. I've been taking my time but I'm still thoroughly enjoying it. I'm doing a lot of Lore hunting though, as well as rarespawn hunting.

.. But in a good way.

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381

OP isnt wrong, its his opinion.

Anyway... games prob too hard for him.

I kid, I kid

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by Preacher26

OP isnt wrong, its his opinion.

Anyway... games prob to hard for him.

I kid, I kid

Opinions can be wrong too especially when your opinion is based on half or incoorect information.

Just saying.

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

Also, another example why OP is incorrect. When you taarget mobs in TSW, it shows the efefcts they are immune to. Some for example can not be imapred, others cant ne hinered while some others have high magical protection. This means you have to keep changing skills because one build doesn't work on all. So yes OP is incorrect when he says same type of mobs mean same type of fights.

I had only played the first zone and some of the second in the beta, but I felt the same way about the content. I never had to change builds. I just pulled 5-15 mobs at once and AoE'd them down. This was mainly using 1 or 2 skills maximum, and popping a couple defensive CD's if I pulled more than 3-5.

I would hope it gets more invovled later on, as I felt it was pretty mind numbingly easy in the beta. I never noticed mobs with special resistances, as they would always die with relative ease. I think the only time I died was on this "defend the sewer" mission when there were 10-15 mob waves attacking this generator. Eventually I just got overwhelmed and died, but it still said I "survived" and it completed. I am not sure if you are supposed to die, or what.

And only 8 skills is a very small pool to choose from in combat. While sure, you can make separate builds, it still feels too straight forward. The minimum amount of skills on a class in GW2 is 15. The Elementalist and Engineer can have access to 25 skills at any time (depending on utility skills for the engineer). Most of the other classes have Elite skills which grant them extra skills as well, and this doesn't even include all the environmental weapons/elemental weapons that can be summoned and used by people.

The skill system, the quests, and basically everything except the combat in TSW seemed great. Unfortunately, as the OP said, you are in combat like 90% of the time. If what you are doing the majority of the play time isn't rock solid, and gets really spammy, it isn't going to hold people's attention for very long at all.

• Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360

To each, their own.

My opinion, however, is quite different.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Haven't.

Still enjoying my stay.

Can't say I agree with much in the OP either but to each their own.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I have played less and less during the last week and am wondering if this is just me or that there are also others having this same experience?

In my experience, 2-4 weeks is about how long it takes me to figure out that i no longer want to play an MMO even though I bought it.

Took me about 2 weeks of TOR, about 4 weeks of Rift, 4 weeks of FE, etc.  So your 2 weeks sounds about right for figuring out that the game just isn't for you.

I'm still very much enjoying it and while I'm only halfway through completing the Blue Mountain zone, the 3 instances I've done so far and overall game design have shown me that I have good things to look forward to.  Can't wait for the raids to get added in as the boss fights in instances are some of the awesome combat experiences I've had in an MMO.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• AthisioAthisio Member Posts: 72

Edited my original post.  I think arguements positive or negative about combat are just plain silly. Honestly other then needed to move around more combat is the same as most of today's mmo's. So i don't see why it gets hated on specifically or praised specifically.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

Bachus, the thread beneath posts a preview on RPS that the story in TSW will keep evolving with "issues". They'll send you back into lower areas and characters who will change permanatly across time. So, it seems for now, that all that filler does have a purpose, but it wil only be explained as time goes on. After all, it's suppose to b a cliffhanger.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Sometimes a game just doesn't "click" with me, so I can understand the OP's issue.

SWTOR never drew me in, even though I played it for more than 2 months. I mostly was playing it to see what happened next, but never with any great enthusiasm. One day I stopped logging in and that was that. Never even reached level-cap.

My experience in TSW is completely different. I love the atmosphere and the game world. Sometimes I just sit in some busy spot and watch people going by. I'm totally immersed in the world.

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697

First, it is a false premise to assume that because you were not happy with the game that everyone else must feel  the same way.  Second, you only played two weeks which means you probably have not left Kingmouth yet.  Third, you paid $50 for a game, and quit after two weeks?  I don't understand why you wouldn't , at least, play out your 30 days to see if anything changes in the areas you are unhappy with.  So, stop kvetching (look it up) .

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• CandombleCandomble Member UncommonPosts: 164

" same type mob means exactly the same fight over and over."

The same mob meaning the same kind of fight... where have I seen that... wait, in ALL MMOs. Same mob type, same mechanic.  At least in this one they move and make you dance with them. 

• blackhawkzzblackhawkzz Member Posts: 53

I didnt??

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

Bachus, the thread beneath posts a preview on RPS that the story in TSW will keep evolving with "issues". They'll send you back into lower areas and characters who will change permanatly across time. So, it seems for now, that all that filler does have a purpose, but it wil only be explained as time goes on. After all, it's suppose to b a cliffhanger.

The story is not the issue, the story is great...  Its just that the combat is not my type of fun... Character builds are just to single purpose for me, i like gameplay like the WoW warrior, where in every situation you had to choose from several viable skills.

In GW2 my last Elementalist build had 34 active skills, you really need to reread your, so yes it bothers me in TSW but not in GW2.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Sometimes a game just doesn't "click" with me, so I can understand the OP's issue.

SWTOR never drew me in, even though I played it for more than 2 months. I mostly was playing it to see what happened next, but never with any great enthusiasm. One day I stopped logging in and that was that. Never even reached level-cap.

My experience in TSW is completely different. I love the atmosphere and the game world. Sometimes I just sit in some busy spot and watch people going by. I'm totally immersed in the world.

I also find the world extremely immersive, and a lot of fun.

My experience is the opposite of the OP's.  The more I play, the more I learn about the game and character skills, the more I want to play, see more, and experiment with other builds.  The stories are the best on the market by far.

I also really like the combat.  The funny thing about it is that GW1 is almost universally loved for its combat, and TSW's combat is basically an evolution of GW1's combat.  The single player and group synergies are very compelling to me.

Not planning on quitting anytime soon.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Athisio

Edited my original post.  I think arguements positive or negative about combat are just plain silly. Honestly other then needed to move around more combat is the same as most of today's mmo's. So i don't see why it gets hated on specifically or praised specifically.

Its the popular thing for people to latch onto for trying to say the game is bad or why they didn't like it.

Far as those saying it is superior? Can't say I really get that either. Guess those stuck in the honeymoon phase where they think everything is superior maybe?

Not sure I get either group. Not sure I want to.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

I wouldn't say that the combat was difficult; it just takes ALOT longer.  I suppose that makes it more likely that an add or 2 will happen in, so there's that, I guess.  But I think we agree in spirit; the combat is borderline excruciating, which negates one of the games big positives; the skill system.

If it wasn't for the story and the genre, I wouldn't be considering this game at all.  But there is something to be said that a game with crappy combat can garner interest.  In most MMO's, if the combat isn't fun, that's it.  It's hosed.

I also agree regarding the story.  The story, the genre, the atmosphere, and the quest deliver are EASILY the winners in this game.

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

I haven't quit yet and have only just stepped into Blue Mountain, completed the first quest or so, then had to turn back to gear up since my talismans and such aren't quite good enough. Though my weapons are both QL5, so they're fine (talismans are 1-4).

This game takes a lot of adjustment when it comes to the questing, advancement, etc., as compared to other games, and people probably won't "get it" their first play through, or even their fifth if they don't play very much.

This game definitely has a style that I can see turning away quite a few people, either through the atmosphere, or completing quests through real word google searching, morse code translating, real events and dates as hints, etc., or the lack of levels, etc.

I'm gonna play this game a while, but I don't have a major nagging feeling in my head like "I WANNA PLAY, I WANNA PLAY" like some games. :p

Also crafting seems somewhat useless so far. I can't seem to find any Weapon Kits with drops and found everything I need in dungeons and stuff so far.

Hmm... gonna keep trucking along and see how it goes. I like it a good bit, though so far.

• chaod1984chaod1984 Member Posts: 271
    Originally posted by Rohn
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

I also find the world extremely immersive, and a lot of fun.

My experience is the opposite of the OP's.  The more I play, the more I learn about the game and character skills, the more I want to play, see more, and experiment with other builds.  The stories are the best on the market by far.

I also really like the combat.  The funny thing about it is that GW1 is almost universally loved for its combat, and TSW's combat is basically an evolution of GW1's combat.  The single player and group synergies are very compelling to me.

Not planning on quitting anytime soon.

Agreed! 

OP - WAR, RIFT even WoW and SWTOR were some of the worst at giving you variety in mobs....it's just the way it is....also it's easy to see that the story, lore, location and atmosphere kind dictate where the mobs are, which makes sense.  I saw alot of different types of mobs in Solomon Island and I look foward to seeing even more in Egypt.  

I seriously think some people just WANT to find something wrong with this game...it's almost a "how dare you try to defeat my pop culture MMO's with your not so pop culture game!"....it's kinda amusing.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Skooma2

First, it is a false premise to assume that because you were not happy with the game that everyone else must feel  the same way.  Second, you only played two weeks which means you probably have not left Kingmouth yet.  Third, you paid $50 for a game, and quit after two weeks?  I don't understand why you wouldn't , at least, play out your 30 days to see if anything changes in the areas you are unhappy with.  So, stop kvetching (look it up) .

Actually it's your premise that is false.Your assumption is that he feels everyone musty feel like he does when in fact he is jsut seeking opinions from people who have quit the game like he has,this is nowhere near the same thing.

I personally liekd the game a lot in Closed Beta but not enough to overcoem my dislike of their business model since I beleive even buying the box(even with the itnwent of never using the CS) is sending a message to developers that this business model is acceptable.But that's my personal line int he sand .

The Combat in TSW is fine,standard but fine.The animations in said combat are stiff and awkaward(Though much improved in the end of beta) and have no wieght to them(you amy as well be swinging/shooting  at air the whole time). Since this is a visual medium it is a valid reason for folks not  to like the combat.I personally didn't find it game breaking though it did add to my reasons not to purchase at lauinch.

When the pirce of the box comes down enough and some of the minor things I disliekd are improved I'll probably revisit my decision.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

How many hours did you put into the game OP?

You may have burned yourself out. I know I can burn myself out on pretty much any game no matter how good (or bad) the game is. It seems the older I get the quicker I get burned out.

I personaly like only having 7 active ability's and find the strategy in building the different loadout's the most enjoyable part, I get bored with one, I just make another. I

I find myself playing TSW alot differently then I play other MMO's. My biggest enjoyment comes from learning new things and with TSW there is so much to learn that it's quite refreshing.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

The games too damned engrossing to just up and quit after such a fantastically short time.

I've been playing since ER and I have still not left Kingsmouth, yes I'm a casual player hence why I'm still in the first area but I'm also very thorough, I'm squeezing every ounce of exploration/adventure/storytelling there is to offer before I feel comfortable about moving onto the next area.

As for the limited amount of skills available, well you have access to hundreds of different combo's, after each fight you have the choice to change to another build thus opening up different skill sets, you could literally have a new build for each pull you make and with access to over 500 abilities how is this not offering you a wider choice?

Even in the most complex of MMO's I have found myself using at that precise moment in time while I am focused on that 1 encounter a small handful of skills, probably about 4 in total, yet I have rarely come across an MMO that will allow me to then change my entire build at a whim on the next encounter and be offered a completely new and unique grp of skills to use.

You've obviously made your mind up, but your short changing yourself.

And don't kid yourself that GW2 will have totally unqiue creatures/fights in every area of the game.

• DrWookieDrWookie Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by Skooma2

It is a video game, played for entertianment. If a game isn't entertaining me I'm not just going to "keep playing" to see if it suddenly starts being more fun 2 weeks later. It has to hold me through the whole time. 

I didn't actually purchase the game, but mostly because I lasted about the same amount of time while playing in the closed beta. Yes I realize there may be more diversity later in in levels, but I honestly couldn't even finish Kingsmouth without getting really bored of fighting the same mobs over and over again. I need more variety. To each his own, I guess.

• ECGangelECGangel Member UncommonPosts: 39

GW2 skills limited?  have you played an elementalist?  1 weapon, 4 attunements, 5 skills per attunements = 20 skills.  hit the  swap weapon hotkey and you got 20 more new skills to choose from.

anyways, i agree with the OP.  i got so bored after killing my 20th moth.

This discussion has been closed.