Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You think diablo 3 feedback was a "wake up" call of some sort?

Comments

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

Heh , no.   And who cares?   You got Torchlight 2 releasing next month and GrimDawn releasing somewhere in 2013. So Diablo 3 is already forgotten in the back of my mind and the box I've bought along with the dvd are far in my closet. :P

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545

Lol at OP.

The only thing Blizzard gives a flying fuck about is box sales. Diablo 3 did well so they will make more shitty games following the shitty formula developed by their watered down MMO development team.

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

I believe actions speak louder than words.

With 6mil+ copies sold and one of the top ten most played games on the internet - those are players actions.

Whining and moaning on the forums - those are players words.

Blizzard is paying attention to our actions.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    Originally posted by Valua

Fastest selling PC game of all time, 9 million copies sold, hundreds of million of dollars made.

If anything, expect more like this.

sadly this :(

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

Was ashamed before I purchased it then I was ashamed after when I purchased it. Good news is that if I make a stink about it I can still get a refund.

I didn't dislike the game as much as some but, I haven't put nearly as many hours in it as some of you guys, I just unlocked hell a week or so ago and haven't logged in since. Replaying old content at higher difficulties isn't my style either. Hopefully I will not make the same mistake in the future with game purchases.

I will say that if the game were $30 or less than maybe I would have been completely satisfied with the purchase.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

A lot of that guy's criticisms are way off the mark:

• Linear terrain: Yes, this is valid and the game needed to be more randomized.  Too many static maps was a bad thing.
    • Enrage Timers: Invalid and has nothing to do with a Dungeon Crawl, and everything to do with the game having to make you understand you're undergeared at some point.  The only reason for these to possibly be removed would be to encourage players to tackle harder challenges more often.  But you can't really just let heal- or defense-intense builds be too good at farming vastly higher-tier mobs, or the game would be encouraging you to always have very very slow tedious fights.
    • Itemization: Valid, and a true step backwards from previous Diablos.
    • Nerfing Farming Spots: Completely invalid, as it would've essentially made the game be 100% about goblin-spot farming or chest-farming, which would've been about the worst game design ever.  Nerfing farming spots until the best farming is simply playing the game normally is totally the right move.  Their only oversight is not rewarding harder challenges enough, as players should have the ability to tackle harder challenges for better loot.  Instead, easier challenges (Act 1 inferno) tend to yield a higher rate of rewards, due to the sheer speed you can clear them, which rewards playing easy levels instead of challenging yourself.
    • Power relationship:  (Invalid) Um, is this just the poster wishing Inferno was super easy?  Because that's what it sounds like.  I want some hard shit to tackle when I get to endgame.  Hell, I want hard shit to tackle at beginninggame! (Which, again, should increase my rate of rewards (gear/xp))
    • Lack of Builds: Valid.  While there are plenty of viable builds if you outgear a place, that hardly matters, and what instead matters is that the number of viable builds approaches 1 as your gear is less awesome.  Definitely could use some tweaking.
    • Hit detection:  Valid. This didn't impact me too often, but was certainly a bug worth cleaning up.
    • Repair Costs:  Invalid, just a knee-jerk reaction to increasing them to where they should've been at launch. At no point was I losing money due to repairs, but if I died repeatedly I certainly hurt my gold rate. 
    • Quest Based: Mostly invalid, as the quests are largely irrelevant.  Valid feedback would've been if he mentioned cutscenes and the clumsy way they're skipped.  Skipping isn't instant and being forced to skip them at all disrupts the game experience.
    Personally my big gripes were (in addition to a few of the valid ones above):
    • Finding items playing vs. AHing. Diablo 2 was a game about rolling 1-100 to find an item with better stats than your prior one.  In Diablo 3 you can simply buy a 75 straight out of the AH, which skips past a ton of upgrades you otherwise would've found.  Finding upgrades while playing is way more enjoyable than AHing them and farming gold.  (I don't think they could've shipped with an AH, but they needed to soulbind a lot of gear instead of allowing everything to end up on the open market.)
    • Challenge vs. Reward.  Instead of earning the best rate of rewards by challenging yourself, you earn them by tearing through easy content.  Not fun.
    • No difficulty settings.  If you're a skilled player, you fall asleep through the first 2 entire playthroughs of the game on a new character, which really isn't necessary.  Let me ramp up the difficulty, and ramp up my rewards to match.  Nobody wants to be bored with a game they find too easy.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by Axehilt

A lot of that guy's criticisms are way off the mark:

• Linear terrain: Yes, this is valid and the game needed to be more randomized.  Too many static maps was a bad thing.
    • Enrage Timers: Invalid and has nothing to do with a Dungeon Crawl, and everything to do with the game having to make you understand you're undergeared at some point.  The only reason for these to possibly be removed would be to encourage players to tackle harder challenges more often.  But you can't really just let heal- or defense-intense builds be too good at farming vastly higher-tier mobs, or the game would be encouraging you to always have very very slow tedious fights.
    • Itemization: Valid, and a true step backwards from previous Diablos.
    • Nerfing Farming Spots: Completely invalid, as it would've essentially made the game be 100% about goblin-spot farming or chest-farming, which would've been about the worst game design ever.  Nerfing farming spots until the best farming is simply playing the game normally is totally the right move.  Their only oversight is not rewarding harder challenges enough, as players should have the ability to tackle harder challenges for better loot.  Instead, easier challenges (Act 1 inferno) tend to yield a higher rate of rewards, due to the sheer speed you can clear them, which rewards playing easy levels instead of challenging yourself.
    • Power relationship:  (Invalid) Um, is this just the poster wishing Inferno was super easy?  Because that's what it sounds like.  I want some hard shit to tackle when I get to endgame.  Hell, I want hard shit to tackle at beginninggame! (Which, again, should increase my rate of rewards (gear/xp))
    • Lack of Builds: Valid.  While there are plenty of viable builds if you outgear a place, that hardly matters, and what instead matters is that the number of viable builds approaches 1 as your gear is less awesome.  Definitely could use some tweaking.
    • Hit detection:  Valid. This didn't impact me too often, but was certainly a bug worth cleaning up.
    • Repair Costs:  Invalid, just a knee-jerk reaction to increasing them to where they should've been at launch. At no point was I losing money due to repairs, but if I died repeatedly I certainly hurt my gold rate. 
    • Quest Based: Mostly invalid, as the quests are largely irrelevant.  Valid feedback would've been if he mentioned cutscenes and the clumsy way they're skipped.  Skipping isn't instant and being forced to skip them at all disrupts the game experience.
    Personally my big gripes were (in addition to a few of the valid ones above):
    • Finding items playing vs. AHing. Diablo 2 was a game about rolling 1-100 to find an item with better stats than your prior one.  In Diablo 3 you can simply buy a 75 straight out of the AH, which skips past a ton of upgrades you otherwise would've found.  Finding upgrades while playing is way more enjoyable than AHing them and farming gold.  (I don't think they could've shipped with an AH, but they needed to soulbind a lot of gear instead of allowing everything to end up on the open market.)
    • Challenge vs. Reward.  Instead of earning the best rate of rewards by challenging yourself, you earn them by tearing through easy content.  Not fun.
    • No difficulty settings.  If you're a skilled player, you fall asleep through the first 2 entire playthroughs of the game on a new character, which really isn't necessary.  Let me ramp up the difficulty, and ramp up my rewards to match.  Nobody wants to be bored with a game they find too easy.

You were fine with the box price?

Originally posted by Trionicus

Are you serious?

I've been spending $60 on games since the fuckin SNES. :P

My $60 on Diablo 3 gave me more hours of fun per dollar spent than Duke Nukem Forever, Dead Island, LA Noire, and really countless other games.

Unlike Diablo 3, where my long list of complaints is because I enjoyed the game enough to play for quite a while (a solid month), the above games I ditched so fast that I don't even have a long list of complaints for them.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by Axehilt
    Originally posted by Trionicus

Are you serious?

I've been spending $60 on games since the fuckin SNES. :P

My $60 on Diablo 3 gave me more hours of fun per dollar spent than Duke Nukem Forever, Dead Island, LA Noire, and really countless other games.

Unlike Diablo 3, where my long list of complaints is because I enjoyed the game enough to play for quite a while (a solid month), the above games I ditched so fast that I don't even have a long list of complaints for them.

I think it's hilarious that these guys could bitch about Diablo 3 after spending a hundred plus hours with it.

"I GOTZ 4 CHARACTERZ TO INFERNO AND DIABLO TREE SUCKZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!"

Really? People are kind of nuts.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by Poison_Adele
    Originally posted by Magnum2103

No, considering the amount of money they made off the game I'm sure they don't care that much about player feedback.

Pretty much all that can ever be said on this topic.

I was absolutely ashamed of being part of the gaming community when I saw how massively profitable this game was despite almost the entire community decrying the DRM.

Well done everyone. Way to have some balls.

I was VERY outspoken about how bad Diablo III was well before the release (months even) :(!

How come you lumped all of us into such a terrible community :I?

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

No, considering the amount of money they made off the game I'm sure they don't care that much about player feedback.

I was absolutely ashamed of being part of the gaming community when I saw how massively profitable this game was despite almost the entire community decrying the DRM.

I was VERY outspoken about how bad Diablo III was well before the release (months even) :(!

Faded you are an extremely negative person on these forums. Im not surprised that you've been outspoken about D3 as well as a few other popular games. 

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

Originally posted by Z3R01
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Faded you are an extremely negative person on these forums. Im not surprised that you've been outspoken about D3 as well as a few other popular games. 

It's hard to be purely positive when everything around you is covered in poop. There hasn't been a slightly decent title ever since 2004.

Also, it's very hard to write anything positive when quite a few very vocal minorities constantly preach X game is the savior for the genre, and when you try to make a counter argument to "Best Game Ever" you're labeled as a troll/negative person.

Little unfair don't you think :/? I've made quite a few positive posts on these forums over the years, however they get drowned out by all of the hype-driven threads I frequently try to bring back down to reality. My fault obviously, but the latest era of MMORPG's quite simply are pathetic.

I'm not going to sit there and candycoat everything so people feel better about themselves. That's not who I am. If something is crap I'm going to tell you boldface that it IS crap. I think respec isn't about being overly nice, but about being able to be truly honest about what you think without worrying about how the other person will react.

Additionally, the points I brought up about Diablo 3 being bad are mirrored in that OP's thread on the blizzard forum. Saying that because I'm "negative" means that it has no correlation to me being right is very shortsighted of you.

Would you rather it were different?

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100

All these threads about non MMO's in the MMO forum are getting in my way of reading about MMO's! Isn't General Gaming for this kinda game? Sorry to be "that guy".

Maybe we should just merge the two forums now?

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Let me comment on the specifics. Before that i will say D3 is a very fun game, better than almost all MMOs I have played.

1) linear terrain & gameply .. hmm .. Diablo always have linear quests. The issue is if the terrain is random enough. To me, it is random enough. There are some zones with the same lay out, but many do not. If you do a farming run, more than likely you will be hitting dungeon zones with quite random lay out.

2) Enrage timer .. this one i hate. However, with decent gear at the right act, i never hit the enrage timer when i play. Usualy either i win, or i got killed WAY BEFORE the timer kicks in. I only have it kicked in in some multi player games when some other players do not have enough dps.

3) itemization ... pure stat is more boring than proc effects and more interesting properties. No argument there. However, the guy obviously don't know about stat optimization if he says only "main stat + vit + resis". Before the nerf, IAS is king. Now, if you are a wiz, for some builds, you stack crit hit/dmage and arcane power on crit.

In fact, if you read blue posts, people are asking for more than 3 stat filter in AH, because there are builds relying on more than just 3 stats.

4) yes, i hate the nerfing too.

5) hmm .. when you have high level gear, you melt the hordes in inferno. True that i don't feel powerful against elite/champ packs, but i do feel powerful with normal mobs. In fact, it is VERY satisfying to send an arcane orb and it melts everythign in its path.

6) lack of builds? This one he is completely off. I only know how to play a wiz well. Even just for a wiz, there are quite a few builds. Both a blizzard/hydra build or an arcane orb build (i use this one) are viable kiting build. The latest craze is a WW based MELEE wiz build (go read the forums .. there is much info on it). I am quite surprise that a melee build will work for Wiz .. although personally i don't use melee builds since for me, wiz is always about range dps. And if you have enough dps, a disintegration beam/archon build is viable (and fast for farming).

Personally i use a beam glass canon build for act 1 fast farming and a more conservative arcane orb build for act 2 and act 3. Anyone who says there is a lack of build is not playing the game, or reading the forums. In fact, i think D3 has much better build variety than WoW.

And i have not even go in detail variations. I have seen people using teleport while personally i only use diamond skin .. there are almost endless variations.

7) don't have any comment on hit boxes .. it feels fine .. i can dodge some attacks but no others.

8) repair costs is not an issue for me. If i run Act 1 .. i don't die and a few k repair cost is nothing. If i run act 2, i die a few times but never have repair costs more than 20k. When it is easy to get more than a few million gold, repair costs is pretty much meh ... i like it to be lower of course .. but it is not a big issue.

9) too quest based? Not an issue to me. Once you have the area open up, you can go anywhere. In fact, it is customary to start a late quest in the Act, and go anywhere to hunt. I don't have a problem. In fact, i prefer it this way. The first time through the story is more fun.

Originally posted by madazz

All these threads about non MMO's in the MMO forum are getting in my way of reading about MMO's! Isn't General Gaming for this kinda game? Sorry to be "that guy".

Maybe we should just merge the two forums now?

MMORPG's fault for treating Diablo 3 like an MMO. It shouldn't have been, but people on here voted for Diablo 3 to be included. A mistake I believe at the very minimum, but that's just me.

I'm also "that guy" that constantly asks for lobby based online games (ie: NOT MMO's) like World of Tanks, Huxley Online, etc to be removed.

While D3 is not an MMO, the play style is close enough. In most MMO, players wait for the dungeon to pop, or solo. That is exactly what you do in D3, except the combat is different.

And also there is a AH, and some simple crafting.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

While D3 is not an MMO, the play style is close enough. In most MMO, players wait for the dungeon to pop, or solo. That is exactly what you do in D3, except the combat is different.

I beat D3 on multiple difficulties, which dungeons did you wait for? Also, in all of the MMO's I have been playing for the last long while I didn't have to wait for a dungeon to "pop".

Also, if we are going to add all games that have similar gameplay to an MMO... well the list is going to go nuts. I guess we should add Kingdoms of Amular as that was a single player game with MMO quests. There is absolutely no logic behind calling a 4 player game an MMO.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

I beat D3 on multiple difficulties, which dungeons did you wait for? Also, in all of the MMO's I have been playing for the last long while I didn't have to wait for a dungeon to "pop".

Also, if we are going to add all games that have similar gameplay to an MMO... well the list is going to go nuts. I guess we should add Kingdoms of Amular as that was a single player game with MMO quests. There is absolutely no logic behind calling a 4 player game an MMO.

You never wait for other players to show up in your public game?

Many players do small group or solo content in MMOs. Many play D3 like a mmo. Go to a dungeon with some friends, get loot, play the AH. That is close enough for me.

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774
    Originally posted by xdemonhunter

Im really glad i didnt buy it based on all the negative comments i saw from other gamers, i would like u to direct u all to this thread: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6037265679?page=1       This is from blizzards own forum and majority of the users seem to agree with everything the OP said.

You're linking something from battle.net forums as an indication of... anything?

You must be new there.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

feedback is only valuable if there is a reason for someone to pay attention to it.  Knowing that no matter what you do, a signficant portion of people wont like it means all feedback has to be taken with a grain of salt.  Blizzard knows how many people are on their servers playing D3, thats the ultimate indicator of if a 'wake up call' is needed.

• xdemonhunterxdemonhunter Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by Irus
    Originally posted by xdemonhunter

Im really glad i didnt buy it based on all the negative comments i saw from other gamers, i would like u to direct u all to this thread: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6037265679?page=1       This is from blizzards own forum and majority of the users seem to agree with everything the OP said.

You're linking something from battle.net forums as an indication of... anything?

You must be new there.

Hmm i dont think i did something wrong there.If u wanna see feedback from the player base the best place to look is on it is own forum, sure there are other places to look but i dont see how the game forum would be a less credible source.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739

D3 may not have turned out to be what alot of the users wanted, but bottom line is it made money and that is all these companies care about really.

Originally posted by Theocritus

D3 may not have turned out to be what alot of the users wanted, but bottom line is it made money and that is all these companies care about really.

They all chase money, but Blizzard has historically chased money seriously.

Meaning: they care about what you think about this game because it affects their next game's viability.

Plenty of companies can make a short-term buck.  But only quality companies make money game after game after game.  Blizzard's reputation makes them billions of dollars, so I imagine they had hoped they did better with Diablo 3 (otherwise they wouldn't have posted openly admitting that the item hunt in D3 isn't a compelling enough endgame.)

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Fastest selling PC game of all time, 9 million copies sold, hundreds of million of dollars made.

+1

Seriously people you need to learn to 'hold your horses' and don't buy into hype and pre-orders and actually do research before you buy a game.

Until then, meh

Originally posted by fenistil

+1

Seriously people you need to learn to 'hold your horses' and don't buy into hype and pre-orders and actually do research before you buy a game.

Until then, meh

I did. I talked to beta tester, and did research on the skills.

And i am having a lot of fun with my purchase .. and god forbidden, i am actually positive on my RMAH account .. so that is even better.

I have no problem with the market rewarding good games.