Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamespot Review

Comments

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

This review was just to soon imho, they should have waited until at least the first week of august after the patch was applied in all fairness to give gamers a better look at the bigger picture..

I only played in TSW betas and had a lot of buggy group play problems but scored the game 7.0 in my own mind so i dont disagree with their rating just how early they reviewed it..

It needs some polish and that promised monthly content delivered to tell if the score improves, hopefully gamespot realizes they jumped the gun and will revisit the game sooner rather than later..

Playing GW2..

• dellirious13dellirious13 Member Posts: 205
    Originally posted by chaod1984

Nice one Gamespot....worst review score ever....let's give the game a 7.5 because of bugs that were fixed in the last patch....

The review is actually pretty good, but why put this review out after the first patch only to complain about bugs that were fixed?

http://www.gamespot.com/the-secret-world/reviews/the-secret-world-review-6386467/

I think that 7.5/10 is a pretty good review of this game. I personally would give it a 7/10 and I really enjoy it.
     They didnt give that score just because of bugs.  The PVP is also poor/seems like it is tacked on. AND combat is very lackluster (ie derivative).

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Sebber
    Originally posted by sycofiend

PS  Sebber .... you have already made it clear you dont like the game .. why are you on a crusade to spew your dislike of the game on every single TSW related thread out there ?

Because there is so many blind fanboys here that think TSW is the best mmo over made. The fact of the matter is this game is going to fail harder than SWTOR.

Same thing with any game. Many agree this game as flaws. Like i said, i don't believe TSW deserves a 9 or more even, but i don't think there's an mmo beyond EVE today that does.

However, it is BS when Gamespot gives SWTOR and Rift an 8.0 despite all the huge flaws they have and copy ofthe normal WOW formula, but TSW gets 7.5. Meh, "official" reviews. Whatever. Oh don't worry,, i don't really care for them, just saying what goes down nowadays.

Also, Metacritic is the same.

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381

I really only care about my opinion. People can say its the best game ever or a POS... doesnt effect me one bit.

If the population is high enough for me to enjoy all aspects of the game, thats all that matters.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

How can this game be a 9 if they combat (the core of the game) is seriously flawed?

• AtrusHomeboyAtrusHomeboy Member Posts: 28

Gamespot usually gives the lowest scores for games. It causes shitstorms which bring in large amounts of traffic, as well as making people who lack critical thinking skills think their reviewers are somehow more PROFESHUNAL. Heck, the guy who reviewed LoZ: Skyward Sword docked points for controls, despite the fact he was just swnging his arms around like a retard.

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by Istavaan

How can this game be a 9 if they combat (the core of the game) is seriously flawed?

There is no way it can be 9 if combat is seriously flawed.

It is a 9.

How can this be?

My puzzles are easier than TSW's :p

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

If the combat animations are bad, the combat is bad.

No...it means you think  the combat animations are bad. It doesn't even have anything to do with gameplay.

Pre-comabt - building the deck: quite good. Probably i would say very good if i was doing this for the first time.

Combat - moving:  stand still soaking damage, sidestep ocasionally out of AoE or if you are giving your 2 year old at the same time you dodge instead.

Ok, when you hinder the opposition, the combat is more interesting.

On top of that the animations aren't good.

I'm beyond bored about stand still combat, taking turns slapping the enemy.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

I am primarily a sandboxer and my biggest pet peeve is easy MMO's. I am enjoying playing TSW. TSW is not my main game atm though as my main need in an MMO is sandbox first.  I'm Playing Mortal Online as I have been for the last 2 years, so Im not placing ALL my gaming needs into TSW.

For people with similar desires to mine in MMO's...If your expecting TSW to be a savior for all your gaming desires you will be disapointed. If you are just looking for something to hop into and have fun with TSW will continue to pleasantly surprise you on many levels.  

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

I think the review was fair. This game is a niche game and its level of polish is not really high enough to be 9+. Its got some great ideas but some of the execution is flawed.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Funcom didn't pay their "Review Fee" for any large, company run, review sites so their "professional" reviewers are giving it sub-80s.

Ironically, the player scores right now are around 80% which was a good overview of how people feel about the state of the game. Similarly SWTOR and TERA were the same until about 3months after release.

Want to know how successful TSW is? Check back on the MetaCritic page in 3months from now, and THEN you will have your answer.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

There is only one reviewer I truly trust: ME !  image

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Pre-comabt - building the deck: quite good. Probably i would say very good if i was doing this for the first time.

Combat - moving:  stand still soaking damage, sidestep ocasionally out of AoE or if you are giving your 2 year old at the same time you dodge instead.

It is your standard fair compared to most other mmos. Certainly not saying the combat is anything innovative or revolutionary. I just don't get how some say it is bad or flawed when in essence what they really should be saying is it doesn't stand out or set itself apart.

Far as animations go? Yeah....for the most part they are fairly lame. Never argued that one. Would be silly to. Kind of like those saying the combat is broken or jacked when they've only played how many other games with the same type of gameplay.

Combat wise this game certainly isn't going to stand up to a game like GW2. That doesn't mean like some are saying that it is broken or flawed though either

I've said all along the combat in this game is average at best. I'm just tired of the whole shtick of saying it is completely jacked up in this game when the fact is that it isn't.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• sycofiendsycofiend Member UncommonPosts: 129

PS  Sebber .... you have already made it clear you dont like the game .. why are you on a crusade to spew your dislike of the game on every single TSW related thread out there ?

Because there is so many blind fanboys here that think TSW is the best mmo over made. The fact of the matter is this game is going to fail harder than SWTOR.

I am neither blind or a fanboi, but you arent going to convince me I am not enjoying the game, because I am.

guess time will tell about your predictions,  I predict both Sw:TOR and TSW will still be around in some capacity this time next year.

• SebberSebber Member Posts: 221

I am neither blind or a fanboi, but you arent going to convince me I am not enjoying the game, because I am.

guess time will tell about your predictions,  I predict both Sw:TOR and TSW will still be around in some capacity this time next year.

I have never said the game is not fun or there is no enjoyment, i have said that the game will die off in the same manor as SWTOR.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

It is your standard fair compared to most other mmos. Certainly not saying the combat is anything innovative or revolutionary. I just don't get how some say it is bad or flawed when in essence what they really should be saying is it doesn't stand out or set itself apart.

Far as animations go? Yeah....for the most part they are fairly lame. Never argued that one. Would be silly to. Kind of like those saying the combat is broken or jacked when they've only played how many other games with the same type of gameplay.

Combat wise this game certainly isn't going to stand up to a game like GW2. That doesn't mean like some are saying that it is broken or flawed though either

I've said all along the combat in this game is average at best. I'm just tired of the whole shtick of saying it is completely jacked up in this game when the fact is that it isn't.

The problem is I like the rest of the game.

I'm already bored of the traditional combat and on top of that the animations had to be on the crap side. it is kinda lke "why, why why bang head bang head".  :(

Part of it is because I got spoiled with better combat systems recently.

I'll be playing until the free month runs out, then vacations and GW2 for some time - then I'll check the game again.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

The problem is I like the rest of the game.

I'm already bored of the traditional combat and on top of that the animations had to be on the crap side. it is kinda lke "why, why why bang head bang head".  :(

Part of it is because I got spoiled with better combat systems recently.

I'll be playing until the free month runs out, then vacations and GW2 for some time - then I'll check the game again.

I hear ya. I can respect that.

Think I'm going to be playing both. You can bet I'll be playing GW2. May have to clone myself though so I actually have time to play both games.

XD

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• tarestares Member Posts: 381

Gamespot review 7.5 or 75

User score 7.9 after 100 players posted 10s on day 1

Metacritic 7.2 or 72

Is this surprising anyone who played it? combat, pvp, not much content, BUGz.

• JonnyBigBossJonnyBigBoss Member UncommonPosts: 702

I thought they were too generous. Poor gameplay is something that is inexcuseable to me. I couldn't ever see myself recommending this game to anyone.

• XPraetorianXXPraetorianX Member CommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by chaod1984

Nice one Gamespot....worst review score ever....let's give the game a 7.5 because of bugs that were fixed in the last patch....

The review is actually pretty good, but why put this review out after the first patch only to complain about bugs that were fixed?

http://www.gamespot.com/the-secret-world/reviews/the-secret-world-review-6386467/

Only review that matters is yours.

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

These websites make all their money on advertisement. Banner clicks, promos etc. They could give a rats ass if a game has a rating of 1 or 10.

I am willing to bet Gamespot did this on purpose. TSW is smoking hot right now. And something like this would more than likely steer a bunch of people to their website to protest the review.....

Actually I am willing to bet this is exactly what happened. :D

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    I have never said the game is not fun or there is no enjoyment, i have said that the game will die off in the same manor as SWTOR.

I have one word for you: monthly content updates

• tarestares Member Posts: 381
    Originally posted by mindw0rk

I have one word for you: monthly content updates

SWTOR prabably released more content in the first 6 months than TSW will be abe to in 6 months.  You can't really knock SWTOR as it has way more players today. discounting the free week going on now.

SWTOR has better combat, the warzones are better designed, and it has raids. not the best but it has more to keep players than TSW does.

Originally posted by tares

SWTOR prabably released more content in the first 6 months than TSW will be abe to in 6 months.  You can't really knock SWTOR as it has way more players today. discounting the free week going on now.

SWTOR has better combat, the warzones are better designed, and it has raids. not the best but it has more to keep players than TSW does.

SWTOR story which was their main focus wasn't near as entertaining as this game. Far as updates go no one knows whether they will do a good job at this or not. Neither game has combat to brag about so really a wash there. PvP is pretty much even although it doesn't appear they'll have to revamp it completely like SWTOR is doing far as their "end game" PvP play. Not to mention the game world design of TSW doesn't seem to make it as single player intensive as people appear to be grouping for even single player material. Which is ironic considering SWTOR had more group oriented content.

So really overall the only thing SWTOR has over TSW is raids. I'll take the superior story telling over that.

Keep trying though. You're bound to get somewhere eventually with as much as you try.

Assuming they stick to their plans this game has a lot more up side than SWTOR. Which is something I never would have believed and laughed off if someone said before I tried both games out for myself.

• BlackndBlacknd Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by tares

I trust I don't need to go into detail as to why "SWToR has released more content in the first 6 months than TSW will" is a terrible argument.

On the flip side of the coin, SWToR has probably bled a lot more of its playerbase than TSW has, as a percentage. Is this a heavily skewed statistic? Certainly. You're full of them though.

SWToR has flashier combat, agreed. Better? They're pretty much the damn same. Except SWToR has more buttons and TSW has more potential combinations of different buttons. 

Huttball was fun, agreed. Everything else was more of the same and pretty much falls in evenly in comparison.

TSW is getting raids, just like ToR did. 

But hey, if TSW keeps up with their content like they claim they can, it will blow ToR's content release schedule out of the water. This won't be hard because ToR seems to be following the same update scheme as WoW.

Time will tell. Until then, this is all just heavily biased and idle speculation.

.. But in a good way.