Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Review In Progress - Part 2 - Questing

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Questing is the mainstay of all MMOs but The Secret World has changed the traditional paradigm...at least a little. In our second installment of our Review in Progress, we take a look at questing in The Secret World. Read on!

MMO players love to talk quests. After all, questing is the biggest part of any MMO and is further expanded by gear acquisition, lore expansion and more. But questing in many MMOs has gotten quite stale. The old saying about “Kill 10 Rats” still holds true in most games. Players head to a ‘quest hub,’ grab as many objectives as possible and then head off into the wilderness to tackle them before moving on to the next hub. Rinse and repeat for any MMO out there today. Funcom, in the form of The Secret World, is trying to move away from the ever-increasingly dull quest system that most games utilize. As I’ve journeyed through TSW over the past week, I keep finding myself impressed with the quest system, the way it’s laid out, the way objectives are handled and the way that finishing quests is literally just a button push away.

Read more of Suzie Ford's The Secret World: Review In Progress - Part 2 - Questing.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

I was doing the League of Monster Slayers two days ago and picked up the side mission in the tree house that took me into the amusement park yesterday. It was seriously creepy. They have used after effects that makes your screen buckle and twist in subtle ways with sounds that makes my hair stand up from my back. Not sure if I want to go back to do the other mission in there. :p

• vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398

People who haven't played this game might think that the questing is gonna be like Swtor but that isn't the case at all. I hated the VO in Swtor, I found it painful to sit through their chatter. But in TSW the VO are so ingrossing, I love them. The quests are mostly great as well. This game is a true gem. If you are sick of all the wow clones then give this game a shot :)

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    @ Blackbrrd

Lol, I love that quest also.. Epic

These guys have put some thought into most of the quest and the cinematic flair which some of them unfold is very nice..

in beta I did a few of the investigation mission and while it required some research, I have totally avoid them since the game launch maybe because the cut the pace of the game too much or the time involve to solve some of them, they aren't my cup of tea, add that the rewards aren't so appealing...

Loving the game so far. Now I'll have 4 pc game to hold me over for the rest of the year.
  • Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    @ vtravi

Yea the voice over are well done. Remind me again, why did a swtor cost 200+ mil to make? To this day I still think it would have been better to had started making a mass effect mmo along side mass effect 3, then aim for a launch later this year or mid next year, can you imagine building your own space ship, with different blueprint schematics for each different part, Oh well one can dream.

if these guys can stay dedicated and keep fans in the loop as to what's upcoming. they'll do good i think..
  • marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912

This MMO is ruining all other MMO's for me. I have not logged back into any other MMO since I started to play this. It's so refreshing and different, yet so familiar. I think about playing all day. The questing is top notch. I have never in any MMO before been so involved in the story of the quests. Nicely done Funcom. This game is quite a gem.

• konachkonach Member UncommonPosts: 2
    I think this is the first MMO I've played where I look forward to reading the quest text and hearing the VO's.
    I would have to say that regardless of how you feel towards Funcom based on their other releases, give this one a chance to stand on it's own merit.
    Is it perfect? No it has some bugs, such as a few quests that are nigh impossible to complete, but there are so many other quests available, getting XP/AP/SP isn't an issue.
    For the investigation quests, there's nothing quite like researching the information and getting the solution yourself, hell I'm 40 and I sat there grinning like the Cheshire Cat when I deciphered the Morse Code :-)
  • SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

So far my favorite quest was the first faction mission. I haven't been that tense since I played Bioshock. Sooo creepy.

I'd like to give a shout-out to the sabotage missions. Everyone mentions the investigation missions, and rightly so. And maybe they are mentally grouping the sabotage missions in with them, but they are not the same. I can't remember the last time, in an MMO, I had to avoid spotlights and turn off alarms or go BOOM!. Really unique and refreshing MMO.

• konachkonach Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Ah Sabotage missions, where if you dont get the jump right, red lights can make you one with the universe and the wallpaper :)
  • ishistishist Member UncommonPosts: 213

I try not to even post on this site as it's usually overflowing with bile and venom. This is a pleasant surprise, seeing a good game called good game! I remember , months ago, reading such horrible posts with people blasting the game for not having one feature or another, while I was blocked by an NDA. 

Anyway.....

I've been loving this game for months. The missions are refreshingly different. There are still some fedex and kill 10 zombies quests but they are few and far between and are wrapped in some very intriguing fiction. There are some mission breaking bugs bugs but the way the game has its players using their minds, I never see people bitching about it, but trying to find an alternate solution.

One of the things I love the most are the Investigation missions. These things are truly inspired, making you *actually think* in an MMO. There's more innovation in that concept than in most other MMOs of this generation. Best of all the players in the various chat channels actually seem reluctant to give away the answers, instead giving hints and clues so the player can solve it themselves. I haven't seen players seem to be so dedicated to others play experiance in... probably ever.

Ok, enough rambling. 

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

• AkaisAkais Member UncommonPosts: 274

I haven't played this game, but it looks like a world Harry Dreseden fans would feel right at home in.

• YiannosYiannos Member Posts: 3

I think  the review shouldn't include any phrases like "the quest system is similar to so-and-so". What needs to come across is how innovative the quest system is and how fresh it feels, constantly. Only us who play the game know that for good. Those outside TSW need to understand that, and phrases like the above muddle things a bit. I think the quests had great love and attention in their design, and I don't see how much further could an MMO depart from the traditional quest system. Just my 2 cents.

oh and btw, @konach comments: ROFL

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811
    Originally posted by Akais

I haven't played this game, but it looks like a world Harry Dreseden fans would feel right at home in.

I recently read all(?) the Harry Dresden books and yeah, it's very familiar. Maybe I should get a duster? ;)

Reminds me of the Egyptian archeologist who posted on the closed beta forums. He had done several trips to Egypt and recognised so many items and inscribations and such from the Egypt zones he was kind of stuck there, going over every little nook and cranny of the area.

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291

I can see the posts now in about 5 years. "Oh no! Not another Secret World clone!"

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by Akais

Its pretty much:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer meets Harry Dresden meets H.P Lovecraft.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• XPraetorianXXPraetorianX Member CommonPosts: 107

I admit I was kinda wanting this game to get boring cause GW2 is so close. The quest in GW2 dont even compare to this game and I am a self procliamed GW2 fanboy. Dont get me wrong GW2 is a ton of fun. This game however destroys all other mmos in terms of immersion and quest design. The voice overs are so well done its like watching a mini movie doing your quest. I mean its on par or better then big budget single player games like Fall Out. I find my sefl like a good book not being able to stop playing till I finish the quest cause I am eager to see what happens next. Like the quest in the park where you are decoding the last will and testament of the guys dad. Thats just awesome. Even the whole big foot quest line in BM. Also I have to point out off subject. (if you have a game rig) the level of graphic detail like on bark or rocks or jeans for example is stunning. The  Tessellation of DX11 is so well done that the Displacement mapping on thing like the Hell Weapons or clothing even the hair have detail never seen in a MMO before.

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

The quest system is similar...

to muds I played in the early 90's. LOL.

Players weren't allowed to help each other (bannable offense), and quest guides were forbidden. And some quests were 'randomized' in such a way that what worked for one person, wouldn't work for the next, and if you tried someone else's solution, it'd flag you for possibly cheating.

The quests are good, the bugs/broken quests are annoying. However, the silly restriction of having only one at a time (of the big kind) is highly irritating. The game still has quest hubs, they're just one or two people with lots of quests... so grrrrr........ The devs said they want you to run back and forth to extend the 'content' as if they allowed you to gather up all the quests at once, you'd go through the game too quickly.... it's a "time grind". *sigh*.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

This game is quite a revelation when compared to other recent major releases. This one just might be worth subbing to. The content will run out some day, but still it's innovative in it's own special way. I hope this game stays around for a long time to come.

imageimage
  • FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

Came here just to say the kitty shirt is awesome. 

• RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674
    Originally posted by eric_w66

The quest system is similar...

to muds I played in the early 90's. LOL.

Players weren't allowed to help each other (bannable offense), and quest guides were forbidden. And some quests were 'randomized' in such a way that what worked for one person, wouldn't work for the next, and if you tried someone else's solution, it'd flag you for possibly cheating.

The quests are good, the bugs/broken quests are annoying. However, the silly restriction of having only one at a time (of the big kind) is highly irritating. The game still has quest hubs, they're just one or two people with lots of quests... so grrrrr........ The devs said they want you to run back and forth to extend the 'content' as if they allowed you to gather up all the quests at once, you'd go through the game too quickly.... it's a "time grind". *sigh*.

Part of the going back and forth is also to try and let you stumble across side quests and lore or even another person who has need for help. It is not perfect and will at times be bothersome to go back but overall hasn't seem more than a couple of minutes to get back to someone and there is always the quick solution of die and respawn near the person. I greatly enjoy the questing. I have finished Kingsmouth and just trying to get some gear from Polaris then move to Savage Coast.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

I never expected to like this game. It blows my mind how much of a fanboi I've become. Many others have described how different the questing is, but beyond that, there's an ineffable quality that somehow makes even "kill 10 rats" fresh and enjoyable.

I spent most of last night helping a stranger do The Kingsmouth Code investigation with only /tells and hints. And the incredible feeling of satisfaction - for both of us - when he finished is really the heart and soul of this game.

Such a simple thing. Such a huge diference.

• Method01Method01 Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Originally posted by marz.at.play

This MMO is ruining all other MMO's for me. I have not logged back into any other MMO since I started to play this. It's so refreshing and different, yet so familiar. I think about playing all day. The questing is top notch. I have never in any MMO before been so involved in the story of the quests. Nicely done Funcom. This game is quite a gem.

Hahaha i feel your pain. 

I preordered GW2 a long time ago, but i really don't look forward for the release anymore. For me, it could wait with the release untill 2013. Im glad it's f2p, because otherwise i would cancel my preorder. 

Not that gw2 are bad. Not at all (otherwise i would't have preordered it). I think it will be great. But i just can't find myself in other mmo's atm. I wan't more of these quests, the spooky atmosphere and the amazing story. I just can't get enough!

Great game and definitely one of the best releases ever. 

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

I <3  you for saying so! I indulged myself and bought it from the item mall. I know...but couldn't resist. :D

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by Suzie_Ford
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

I <3  you for saying so! I indulged myself and bought it from the item mall. I know...but couldn't resist. :D

I don't mind shopping in these kinds of stores at all.  There's no play to win here, so I say it's fair business.

I think they would be making a lot more money in their store if they would load it up with some really high-res ultra premium costmetic items.  Second Life has built a huge private economy around this kind of stuff.  People can't get enough of it.

People have their fetishes too.  When I was playing Lotro, I couldn't stop buying the limited edition mounts.  They were worth every penny to me no matter what others think.  Same for the backpacks... I loved buying the backpacks in Lotro.

So far nothing in the TSW store has caught my eye, but I'll spend money there when something does.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503

I love the Pyramidion and the totally weird , toneless way in which he speaks . if you are illuminati you know wht im talking about.

"Who is awesome? You are awesome¡ Who is not awesome? The rat who sold this info to the templars is not awesome. I shall talk to Questions and Answers about him. Swedish Meatballs with lingonberry sauce is the special dish today in the cafeteria. The owner of the black volvo in parking lot b-17, please kindly shoot yourself in the mouth"

Thats the coolest boss ive ever had.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by freston

The owner of the black volvo in parking lot b-17, please kindly shoot yourself in the mouth"

Thats the coolest boss ive ever had.

That last line is a bit of Norwegian culture most people won't get....

I learned in my business travels to beautiful Oslo years ago that the Norwegians love to hate Volvo drivers.  It is assumed they are the lowest form of vehicle owner.  Why?

Sweden!  In fact from what I was told it's a part of Norwegian culture to hate on the Swedes.  When I asked why, my friends Christian and Tor explained that it had to do with the Swedes letting the Nazi's march on through Sweden without a fight to get to Norway.  That was a long time ago, and now the Norwegiens and the Swedes have a culture of ripping jokes about each other not much unlike Canada vs America smack talk (though they are a bit more vigorous about it in Scandinavia).

I'm American, so that's about as much as I know on the subject.  I was blessed with three week long trips to Norway years ago, and I loved that place very much.  I hope to get back up there some day for some Aquavit, sea trout and reindeer steaks!

Skål!!

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.