Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LoL tops WoW as most played PC game

2»

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Valua

Based on XFire numbers. Who even uses XFire? Exactly. Next to no one.

Isn't Raptr bigger than XFire? And no one uses that either.

when i first read this, i had similar thoughts - seems like a self promotion for  Xfire/DFC Intelligence

other sites have picked this up as news

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/07/11/riot-games-league-of-legends-officially-becomes-most-played-pc-game-in-the-world/

http://www.gamesradar.com/xfire-free2play-is-the-future-league-of-legends-player-base-skyrockets-while-wows-declines/

its all based on dodgy statistics, to give it even marginal credibility is a stretch, as there is a distinct lack of corroborative evidence to back up the data supplied.image

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620
    Originally posted by spades07

From massively.com

Well, it's official (sort of). The World of Warcraft-killer has been named, and they're calling it League of Legends.

A research firm known as DFC Intelligence has released a report claiming that Riot's MOBA was the most popular PC game in North America and Europe last year in terms of hours played. The title took home the top spot with 1.3 billion hours of activity, while WoW dropped to second place with 622.4 million user hours.

What a relief that is. People do prefer gameplay.

Yeah, how dare people have different tastes in games than the OP does.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Does this mean that we're now going to see dozens of LoL clones?  I weep for the future.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by dave6660

Does this mean that we're now going to see dozens of LoL clones?  I weep for the future.

DOTA2 is just a LoL clone.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Well, LoL breeds the same kind of elitism than WoW's endgame so... not really surprised. Some people just like that kind of communities.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517

WoW, LoL.

The two game that I try avoid at all costs.

• spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

Originally posted by monstermmo
    lol@people prefer gameplayLoL is freakin boring.

wait till you try WoW.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by spades07

From massively.com

Well, it's official (sort of). The World of Warcraft-killer has been named, and they're calling it League of Legends.

A research firm known as DFC Intelligence has released a report claiming that Riot's MOBA was the most popular PC game in North America and Europe last year in terms of hours played. The title took home the top spot with 1.3 billion hours of activity, while WoW dropped to second place with 622.4 million user hours.

What a relief that is. People do prefer gameplay.

LoL is free, WoW costs like 60-80 bucks for base game + expansions and has 15 dollar fee every month.

The fact that WoW hasent been passed by every Free 2 play game is amazing.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by SlickShoes
    Originally posted by dave6660

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

I admit I was trolling. I'm proving a point that popularity counts for very little. And the gameplay thing I admit was a dig. WoW does have gameplay. It's just a pity it marginalises it.

As to Xfire stats, the idea is it's a sample. The same way how TV program ratings is figured- it uses a sample. The same for polls etc etc. And remember this is a research firm which has a slightly better credibility than some armchair critics. If you don't think LoL is one of the most played PC games- prove otherwise.

Not that I'm a huge fan of LoL, but give me that over WoW any day of the week.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

The same people who play LOL probably play wow its aimed directly at that blizzard/battlenet demographic. It also has the same kind of community.

Originally posted by Istavaan
    The same people who play LOL probably play wow its aimed directly at that blizzard/battlenet demographic. It also has the same kind of community.

True. But as always it depends who you come across. There's a silent majority in any game played. That have the nerve to enjoy quality games.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I am not surprised.

I tried LOL but i do not like it mainly because i am more a pve guy. However, both of my sons like it more than WOW. For PvPers, it is pure arena PvP. No world, no other stuff to distract. I can see why it is so popular.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

If DOTA2 was actually going to be that fun, I wouldn't have ignored all the beta keys flying around.

DOTA2 is just repeating HoN's mistake of making no meaningful game design improvements over DOTA 1.  They'll be marginally more successful than HoN (which is to say: not particularly successful.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Originally posted by Caldrin

I hate both games really...

But wow is a MMORPG...

LOL is just a rts with all the good bits removed...

Both games are boring as hell for me LOL :)

Also i believe this rating was taken from xfire stats...

Does xfire include online games like Runescape?

Diablo 3 is just a RTS with all the good bits removed.

Edit : My problem with dota 2 is the slower pace. the slowness feels quite clunky to me.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**