Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LoL tops WoW as most played PC game

spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

From massively.com

Well, it's official (sort of). The World of Warcraft-killer has been named, and they're calling it League of Legends.

A research firm known as DFC Intelligence has released a report claiming that Riot's MOBA was the most popular PC game in North America and Europe last year in terms of hours played. The title took home the top spot with 1.3 billion hours of activity, while WoW dropped to second place with 622.4 million user hours.

What a relief that is. People do prefer gameplay.

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by spades07
    From massively.com
    Well, it's official (sort of). The World of Warcraft-killer has been named, and they're calling it League of Legends.A research firm known as DFC Intelligence has released a report claiming that Riot's MOBA was the most popular PC game in North America and Europe last year in terms of hours played. The title took home the top spot with 1.3 billion hours of activity, while WoW dropped to second place with 622.4 million user hours.

Left the part out about how it all hinges on xfire data.....

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Also left out the part that it's been known for quite some time that LOL was the most played PC game in the world.  It's also a MOBA, so it's a completely different genre than WoW is.  And being free to play doesn't hurt, either.  I also question Massively's use of the term, "WoW-killer" when these two games aren't in direct competition.   

And how does LOL being more popular imply that people prefer "gameplay?"  Isn't this something WoW is well-known for?

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

lol@people prefer gameplay

LoL is freakin boring.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by monstermmo

lol@people prefer gameplay

LoL is freakin boring.

I don't play it myself but I've played a fair amount of dota and I understand how you might think it's boring. On the flip side if you have two teams evenly matched it's quite exciting to fight your way to victory.

The thing to remember is that in an arena microing IS the gameplay. Just think of it as a lobby based shooter and it might make sense. The maps aren't huge or dynamic but people will keep playing them over and over because it's PVP. Each round is ever so slightly different because of the playerskill involved.

The thrill of beating another human being is something that can only be felt first hand. The heart races. The mind sharpens. You become one with your skillset. You summon every ounce of knowledge you have of the classes and formulate 50 different possibilities within a second and then react accordingly. You wait for the perfect chance to strike. You execute your plan before the enemy can react. Sweet sweet victory.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I hate both games really...

But wow is a MMORPG...

LOL is just a rts with all the good bits removed...

Both games are boring as hell for me LOL :)

Also i believe this rating was taken from xfire stats...

Does xfire include online games like Runescape?

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by Caldrin

LoL is not an RTS...

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

Originally posted by Quirhid

LoL is not an RTS...

I know it's hard. But we have to try don't we? DON'T WE?

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

I see this as great news, people can start comparing game popularity to LoL now.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Anyone still attempting to use XFire to base their "facts" on needs a brain rewiring.

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

Stupid article. I think CoD has more players that WoW in NA and EU, but noone is calling it a wow killer.

LoL is not an RTS...

Well it plays a lot like one except your limited to controllnig 1 unit that has different special attacks the rest of the units are automated and follow a set path.. so basically an rts game with the good bits removed LOL...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_real-time_strategy

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

Xfire again, I haven't every played any games with anyone that even uses it. I tried it in 2007 and uninstalled it after a week.

It's also laughable that LoL has toppled WoW when they are not in any way competing and half the people I know that play WoW also play LoL.

I prefer DOTA2 myself but I am terrible at these games, they do take skill though and are pretty fun to watch the best player go at it.

• chillikingchilliking Member UncommonPosts: 240

LoL is not an RTS...

Well it plays a lot like one except your limited to controllnig 1 unit that has different special attacks the rest of the units are automated and follow a set path.. so basically an rts game with the good bits removed LOL...

So you are saying that any game where you controll one character and the rest are scripted NPC's is a RTS?

*facepalm*

LoL is not an RTS...

ARTS =/= RTS

Even in the first 4 lines of that page it says it's not an RTS.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by chilliking

LoL is not an RTS...

So you are saying that any game where you controll one character and the rest are scripted NPC's is a RTS?

*facepalm*

Thats not even close to what he meant, its pretty obvious what he means.

It is like an RTS but you only control one single unit. In his opinion controlling everything in the RTS is what makes it good hence why he thinks its an RTS with all the good things removed.

Originally posted by SlickShoes

Thats not even close to what he meant, its pretty obvious what he means.

It is like an RTS but you only control one single unit. In his opinion controlling everything in the RTS is what makes it good hence why he thinks its an RTS with all the good things removed.

Exactly :)

Maybe i should have just said i dont like them and left it as that hehe..

• cgniuscgnius Member Posts: 18

LoL isn't my type of game, but I can see why it is so popular. As for being a wow-killer though, they're not even in the same genre!

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I would place Runescape closer in terms of the same genre as WoW than LoL, and it has way more players. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Ashen_XAshen_X Member Posts: 363

From massively.com

Well, it's official (sort of). The World of Warcraft-killer has been named, and they're calling it League of Legends.

A research firm known as DFC Intelligence has released a report claiming that Riot's MOBA was the most popular PC game in North America and Europe last year in terms of hours played. The title took home the top spot with 1.3 billion hours of activity, while WoW dropped to second place with 622.4 million user hours.

So WoW is dead ? It no longer has millions of players ?

Weird, I would have thought that the death of WoW would have been front page news on every gaming site in the world. Seriously strage days that WoW could go out, not with a bang, but a whimper.

When all has been said and done, more will have been said than done.

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520

From massively.com

Based on XFire numbers. Who even uses XFire? Exactly. Next to no one.

Isn't Raptr bigger than XFire? And no one uses that either.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

From massively.com

Thats funny. Find the gameplay of LoL terrible just like I think WoW gameplay is tired and boring. The only thing LoL has shown me is there actually is a worse community than WoW has.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

A game from a different genre has more players than WoW?  It doesn't matter.  It was the same thing long ago when the adventure game "Myst" was the most played game ever.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Warmaker

A game from a different genre has more players than WoW?  It doesn't matter.  It was the same thing long ago when the adventure game "Myst" was the most played game ever.

genre doesnt matter if you are talking about ALL PC games but valid point about Myst

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Valua

Based on XFire numbers. Who even uses XFire? Exactly. Next to no one.

Isn't Raptr bigger than XFire? And no one uses that either.

when i first read this, i had similar thoughts - seems like a self promotion for  Xfire/DFC Intelligence

other sites have picked this up as news

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/07/11/riot-games-league-of-legends-officially-becomes-most-played-pc-game-in-the-world/

http://www.gamesradar.com/xfire-free2play-is-the-future-league-of-legends-player-base-skyrockets-while-wows-declines/

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Not just in EU/US, LoL is really popular in asia (esp S.Korea, China).

When I walked into a 'PC-Cafe' in korea (about 100 pcs), more than half was LoL.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.