Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how free the free-to-play games really are?

2»

Comments

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

I work on a game that is F2P and we have many who do play it exactly that way we also have a high percentage who pay about the same cost a month into the game but we also have that tiny % who spend obscene amounts in a month.

I have seen some spend more in a weekend than I earn in a month I just cannot fathom it.

It pretty much works outthat 50% will play for free,  40% will meet the arpu you expect and 10% will essentially cover the costs of the 50% of f2p and be your profit.

Without these big spenders F2P wouldnt exist.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by thamighty213

I work on a game that is F2P and we have many who do play it exactly that way we also have a high percentage who pay about the same cost a month into the game but we also have that tiny % who spend obscene amounts in a month.

I have seen some spend more in a weekend than I earn in a month I just cannot fathom it.

It pretty much works outthat 50% will play for free,  40% will meet the arpu you expect and 10% will essentially cover the costs of the 50% of f2p and be your profit.

Very insightful post, should be stickied at the top of every F2P discussion on these forums.

Especially this last comment, it's these folks who really carry any F2P title, especially if it has a P2W philosophy.

CCP had their Greed is Good internal memo leaked last year and their research showed that the most profitable cash shop items are those that gave an advanatage to a player. 

Unfortunately, they also found out that these same items cause a large segement of the community to rise up in outrage so definitely a two edge sword.

While I doubt we'll ever see P2W items in EVE, I fully expect them to try and introduce these tactical advantage items in Worlds of Darkness.

Back to the OP, I found Lineage 2's F2P model to be pretty much without restrictions, as long as you don't mind grinding your brains out which is how the original game was designed, nothing was changed just to support the cash shop.

But at the upper levels, most players find it worthwhile to buy the experience boosters, even with them its still a pretty long climb to the top for most folks.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

To the f2p titles I like to add STO. Ok, it has it's pay-to-win aspects, and some greedy money-grabbing mechanics (namely lockboxes), but you can avoid them. If you don't wanna be the top of every chart, or pvp massively, it's a nice model. And if you plan to focus on pve, star trekking and good story missions, it's even better. (some Foundry missions are hilarious)

You got fewer vault  and inv. space, and EC limit, but it's not a big barrier until you reach VA, and those limits can be lifted with a purchase in store. Beside that, the whole game is open. You also can receive CPoints from the game, not much, but enough for some occasional purchases.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Very insightful post, should be stickied at the top of every F2P discussion on these forums.

Especially this last comment, it's these folks who really carry any F2P title, especially if it has a P2W philosophy.

CCP had their Greed is Good internal memo leaked last year and their research showed that the most profitable cash shop items are those that gave an advanatage to a player. 

Unfortunately, they also found out that these same items cause a large segement of the community to rise up in outrage so definitely a two edge sword.

While I doubt we'll ever see P2W items in EVE, I fully expect them to try and introduce these tactical advantage items in Worlds of Darkness.

Back to the OP, I found Lineage 2's F2P model to be pretty much without restrictions, as long as you don't mind grinding your brains out which is how the original game was designed, nothing was changed just to support the cash shop.

But at the upper levels, most players find it worthwhile to buy the experience boosters, even with them its still a pretty long climb to the top for most folks.

Yea agreed mostly.

For World of Darkness - I think there already are rumors going that it will be F2P or some kind of Freemium title.

I agree with you and I definately expect CCP to put microtransactions in WoD. 

That's why I kinda will skip this game if my and many others foretelling will come to true.

Cannot see myself playing cash shop based sandbox.

As for advantage items. Yeah they sell best.  Even if that's just relatively small-to-medium advantage like stat tomes in Lotro - they hit best selling items when they were introduced and keep near the top while I was played. Especially if there was some kind of "discount" for them.

Cosmetic / vanity stuff never sold in comparable quantites.

Now when F2P / Freemium / Cash shop  market is expanding at absolutely rapid place, it's novelity wear off and there are hordes of games with that model (s), many of companies will be tempted or forced to introduce more advantage items / perks or increase advantage they give - in order to keep enough of money flowing and investors happy.

• MightyBeeMightyBee Member Posts: 43

Well. I don't mind paying for games. I never downloaded or copied one. But I feel myself fooled around when they call their game free and in the end I still have to pay for it. 

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by MightyBee

Well. I don't mind paying for games. I never downloaded or copied one. But I feel myself fooled around when they call their game free and in the end I still have to pay for it. 

You are just one of the many that are finally coming around to getting it.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

If 40% of the players were spending in your F2P game, it would be massive industry news. So either you have the industry's best kept secret, or you're grossly misinformed. Care to share what game it is?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ForTheCityForTheCity Member Posts: 307

Games can be free but you always end up wanting something in game. When I play SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online I spent 5 dollars and rented a gundam the first day I played. Then I realized I can get all the gundams I want if I just play the game.

It really depends on which games you play and how badly you want something. In the end the main thing is just to have fun. It's only a couple of dollars and companies need to make money. If you enjoy playing then I think its okay to spend some money. 

• checkmate123checkmate123 Member Posts: 9

You can say its a free to play if it can be played 100% free or if you're going to spend a money, It must be your own choice where to spend it.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by MightyBee

I've just realised that I'm spending a way too much on the free-to-play games. It's like... 10 euro paysafe voucher there, 10 euro here and in the end I have lots of fun playing the LotR online, for example, but it's not for free anymore.

What about you guys? What free-to-play games do you like? Is there something out there I've missed? :)

I actually went through a brief period of F2P games. Some of them I really enjoyed, others not so much. Some did a decent job w/ the cash shop, others not so much. I enjoyed Vindictus / Global Agenda for a while, but don't really play them anymore. D&D was also pretty fun for a bit.

The thing I really like about F2P games is that they are only as expensive as you allow them to be. This does require a bit of self-discipline, but if you are able to control your cash flow, it's harder to waste money on a F2P game you don't enjoy, than on one w/ a standard sub.

• PhantasmagoriaPhantasmagoria Member Posts: 63
    Originally posted by aesperus

The thing I really like about F2P games is that they are only as expensive as you allow them to be. This does require a bit of self-discipline, but if you are able to control your cash flow, it's harder to waste money on a F2P game you don't enjoy, than on one w/ a standard sub.

I totally agree. It is completely free when you have enough self-discipline to actually NOT spend any amount of cash and it can be really expensive if you find yourself wanting all the items on the cash shop.

There are a lot of MMOs where other players sell their cash items for high amounts of gold (or whatever the game's currency is). If you can afford to buy those with your game's currency, then there will be no need to spend real money. Therefore, the game becomes completely free to play.

Well, feel free to disagree if you want.