Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ouya: A New Console For Under $100

firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

A new startup is looking to battle Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo in the living room with a brand-new console with an inexpensive price point.

Ouya, built on a custom-based Android operating system targeted to launch early next year, is open to any developer looking to publish a game. The developers also set pricing; the one catch is that every game must have a free portion available, whether through a demo or free-to-play model. The console also supports other Android apps, such as TwitchTV, which comes included.

Though some private funding has been secured already, the company has set up a Kickstarter page asking for an additional $950,000. You can visit Ouya's page right here.

So far, no games have been confirmed, but a number of notable developers are already praising the device, such as Mojang, the developer behind Minecraft, Brian Fargo of inXile Entertainment, and Jenova Chen of thatgamecompany.

Below are the current hardware specs.

Console 

? Tegra 3 -- Quad-core processor 

? 1 GB LPDDR2 RAM 

? 8 GB on-board flash 

? HDMI connection to the TV at 1080p HD 

? WiFi 802.11bgn

? Bluetooth LE 4.0 

? Enclosure opens with standard screws

Controller 

? Wireless controller with 2.4Ghz RF 

? Standard game controls (two analog sticks, d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button) 

? Touchpad, for porting mobile games more easily 

? 2x AA batteries 

? Enclosure opens with standard screws

OS and software

? Android 4.0 

? Custom TV UI

?Integrated custom game store -- find and download games (and other apps)

? Includes SDK for game development 

? Ability to root device without voiding warranty

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/07/10/ouya.aspx

Comments

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Holy...there's already over $1 millions pledged in less than a day. This could be very interesting for the console industry, and at this price I'll likely get my hand on one as well when it launches. I really hope it becomes a success, as this could definitively bring a change in the console industry (whatever change that might be).

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

That's a boatload of hardware for $100.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • camil82camil82 Member UncommonPosts: 50

thats awesome, but the question is how can they afford to build it and publish it and everything else just for 100$

• LukainLukain Member UncommonPosts: 591

Isn't the old saying "If it sounds to good to be true it usually is " those people that pledged  I hope there not being scamed ..

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

They're going end up getting millions more than the 950k they asked for, it's over a mil already and jumps up 10k every couple of minutes.

• TeikkTeikk Member Posts: 70

This is insane these guys are almost double what they were aiming for and the first day isnt even over yet. I can see something like this getting up to 10 maybe even 15 mil in support i just hope they pull it off and dont piss off the almost 14k supporters they have so far.

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780

Interesting. I'm eager to see how this turns out.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

while im a pc gamer. not big on tv gaming as i find the quality of graphics is lower on tvs (least the older tvs im used to)

this console does sound pretty amazing, be very interesting to see how it plays out.  not sure how they plan to compete with the big wigs but i can see alot of indie groups using this. as there are already a ton of flash based indie games using android systems for their games.  i dont think minecraft will be on it though, as they signed a contract with xbox/microsoft for the title.

will be interesting if this system will allow for emulation as well. running super mario or metal gear on it for example will really open it to the whole spectrum of games.  though that might be a toughy area they may not want to touch do to all the copy right stuff.

mind you they did state they want to open it up to "hackers" to make the system their own (i think they actually mean crackers though... as it sounds more like a code cracking and less actual hacking)

• AticusWellesAticusWelles Member Posts: 152
    I have no interest in owning one, but I think its an interesting idea. Can't wait to see how it pans out.

Though I could be tempted to buy one and use it as a cheap media center PC, for a bedroom TV, but Ill stick to my desktop for gaming and living room HTPC stuff (hdmi over ethernet with 50 foot ethernet cables was my best pc investment in ages, all the benefit of PC on hdtv without having desktop sitting next to the tv).
  • coretestercoretester Member Posts: 64

Uh, why would any PC gamer buy this? emulations, media, indie games, etc are all done on your PC already. Then again I guess it's made for people with proper consoles that wants a media station, and for indie devs to expand into console ''gaming''.

Yeah I don't think they are targeting PC gamers so much as indie game fans enamored with android OS, hackers, and indie developers. I doubt even most console gamers will care to much.

Its more like targeting the kind of people who would rather play games on their cell phones rather than 3DS or PSvita.

Cheap, fully hackable console where every game can be played (partially or fully) for free.
  • Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Android games are designed to be casual, I really don't see the point playing angry birds on my 60 inch tv...I got my Playstation for the real deal. Are there some more harcore games on android? sure but again inferoir graphics and gameplay. There's also the fact that as a home console this will be outdated by 2013 and it ships in march that year, if not by 2013 then 2014 so no longevity. Another problem I see is the need for devs to put extra effort making assets in 1080p and designing controls for the controller which many games such as angry brids just aren't desgined for. 

It'd be interesting to see how it pans out but honestly I don't think people are really thinking this project through. 

• ForTheCityForTheCity Member Posts: 307

Isn't it just mobile games on a console? Or will they be different games then mobile?

Also damn people really love kickstarter don't they. Everyone seems like they're pledging $$$$$.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by ForTheCity

Isn't it just mobile games on a console? Or will they be different games then mobile?

Also damn people really love kickstarter don't they. Everyone seems like they're pledging $$$$$.

It will be an open-ended platform, that will definitively support mobile games (because they will be the quickest to port) but should also support completely new indie titles (we'll start hearing more about that when the SDK is released). You'll also be able to modify your console (hardware, most likely software as well) without voiding the warranty.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

This just seems like it's going to end badly. Then again, maybe they just have a great deal on hardware and work for free. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

The reason they can build this system for $100 bucks is the same reason google can sell there Nexus 7 for $199. It runs on the new tegra 3 proccesor which was designed to be low cost. And no, i don't mean the tegra 3 proccessor thats inside the transformer prime. Nvidia came out with a new low cost platform which makes it cheaper to build budget tablets with a bang. And the GPU inside this console will be the 12 core GPU that Nvidia made. All in all, this is a quality console. ANd just a heads up, mobile gaming has advanced at such a rate, that its almost up to par with the likes of consoles.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

This just seems like it's going to end badly.

^

It's either going to be a scam, face financial hardships for the low price point and *still* few takers, or be sued by any of the top three (likely Sony) for some kind of copyright infringement - even the square, circle, X, triangle face buttons on the controller shown is enough to make a case of it.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• Drekker17Drekker17 Member Posts: 296
    I'm just wondering who is going to buy the thing. PC gamers already have the king of indie platforms, console gamers don't care as much about indie and already get better indie games than ios/android, if they want to play those games they'll just play on their phones. Ios people will unlikely buy it. It leaves only android gamers...and I don't think they care so much to play on TV.

I'm positive the Ouya won't sell well in the beginning because gamers, casual and hardcore, won't see its value...but if it can get good games on it over time (ultimately the biggest factor)...it might do ok. Hopefully the devs are thinking with that mentality.

"Great minds talk about ideas, average minds talk about events, and small minds talk about people." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security." -Norman Vincent Peale

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Not to be a party pooper, but neither the hardware nor the pricetag matter if the games it plays aren't worthwhile. So while it's nice that the three heavy hitters are finally getting some new competition, it's not the first time that's happened, and whenever it has the exact same 3 stood on top while those attempting to break into the market sank to the bottom simply because publishers weren't interested in them.

I'll reserve my excitement for news of the available gaming library.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• WebzeroWebzero Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Originally posted by camil82

thats awesome, but the question is how can they afford to build it and publish it and everything else just for 100$

sweat-shops.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

I think getting into consoles is a mistake. I think slowly we are going to see console making companies merging until you only have 1 console and everyone just developes games and apps for said console.

• SilverbarrSilverbarr Member Posts: 306

I personally see it as a great innovation, allows for indie developers to get their games, etc. out easily and with a decent profit. Plus most people believe it'll be great for emulation on the TV.

Overall I'll be buying one and seeing how it turns out!

M

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Support the Indie Developers - Kickstarter

• TeikkTeikk Member Posts: 70

28k supporters, 3.5 million in funds so far if they keep this up it wont have to sell boxes at launch theyve probably made back there investment 3 times over already and the backers keep dropping more cash. i mean a goal of 900k and were well on the way to 4 million THATS 4,000,000 dollars at almost the end of day 2. I dont care if you hate the idea of this console or not there getting quite a bit of backing from it seems that alot of people that either have way to much money and nothing to spend it on or just some DIE hard open source people that really wana get something like this on the market either way its already a success if it never sells a single box once launched.

Its not really targeting core gamers or big time publishers. Its targeting people who are tired of what the big three are offering and want that old school console feel brought back to gaming at an old school price. People who like free games (every game has to have a ftp component - if any group can appreciate that, it should be modern day MMO gamers who demand all MMOs go ftp) and indie developers and hackers (every Ouya console is also a dev kit).

Plus it has one of the Xbox creators (Ed Fries) backing it, so its not exactly some fly by night company out to scam people. Perhaps it will fail, but you will never succeed if you are afraid to fail.
  • MexorillaMexorilla Member Posts: 313
    Originally posted by Xzen

I think getting into consoles is a mistake. I think slowly we are going to see console making companies merging until you only have 1 console and everyone just developes games and apps for said console.

monopolies are illegal.  competition drives the economy. 

i think it's an awesome idea.  hopefully they succeed and shake up the over-priced console gaming market.