Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Increasingly wary of this game due to its community

Comments

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

I was told for years that the WoW community contained all of the worst people in the world all in one place.

I thought whilst playing other games I would never play WoW because of all the horrible people.

Then a friend of mine in real life asked me to play, I joined the guild he was in and stayed there for the next 4 years. Some of the people I met I still keep in touch with in real life, lovely people, a great community.

The game is what you make of it, if you want to seek out the worst things about it then that is all you will find. If you were to base WoW solely on these forums and the official forums you would be disgusted too, the amount of bile here and there is astounding. It is fun to read though and fun to take part in some forum PvP, you just need to see how much people post here, generally people posting constantly are not playing the game. Statistically a very low percentage of gamers actually take part in the official forums or other fan sites, majority of players of any game simply play it and many enjoy it.

If you don't want to like the game you won't, if you just play it and let yourself decide you will find out if the game truly has this hideous community you speak of.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by unfettered
    Originally posted by niceguy3978
    Originally posted by huskie77

Unfettered,

First, the game community is exactly the same as every other MMO I have played. Some decent people and a lot of annoying/jerks. You asking for the information on the very same forum that you feel is bad makes me suspicious of your intent. Seeing that you have no problem with the same community in the GW2 forums makes me even further suspicious.

I hope I am wrong about my gut instinct and that you are simply an easily swayed individual who may be convinced to play or not to play a game by the same people he has concerns about.

that's funny. i have actually had some issues with certain GW2 fanboys around here and you know what? the in game community is much better. maybe TSW will be the same as well as i am hoping, but it's not wrong to be concerned and voice my concern is it? 

EDIT: thanks foomerang and BigRock.

You were just asking for a buddy key, how do you know the ingame community is better in GW2 than TSW?  Or did you mean that the ingame community in GW2 is better than the mmorpg.com forums?  Its not clear (at least to me).

you're too zero'd in on GW2. i meant the GW2 community is way better than the GW2 forums...

you're a great example of the kind of people that i want to avoid, stop making this about GW2.

I'm not playing GW2 the reason I keep bringing it up is because it is the game I have bought and have been following so I know what the forum community is like (which is what this whole discussion is about).  I'm not defending anything which was your original complaint also.  I am saying that every forum comminity on this site is pretty much the same, that's it.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by heartless
    Originally posted by timtrack

The only problem i have with "the community" right now is all the: "LFM Polaris Elite - must have Q10 epic gear with perfect glyphs and 10 years worth of TSW experience. No noobs allowed." - And the game is about a week old.

There is no community. The chat is broken, still. Most people ignore each other out in the world to a point where they would stand there and watch you get killed, instead of helping out. And then you have the elitist d-bags like the ones you described.

Yup, the community in TSW is just like any other mainstream MMO, no better and no worse.

There are a few fools that actually expect nobody to give spoilers for puzzle quests in General chat, and they get very upset when it does happen. They are masochists, I suppose. Some people will naturally do it on purpose just to provoke them. The only guaranteed way to not see spoilers in General chat is to turn it off, but some people still insist on trying to change human nature :)

I created a new character on the new RP server today. While I was strolling around in Seoul collecting faction lore objects, a player sent me a /tell to ask if I knew where all the lore objects were, because he/she couldn't find two of them. I replied that I did, and offered to show them the locations if they wanted. The other player was glad to accept the help, and I was happy to give it. It didn't spoil anything for anyone, so no harm done.

Had they asked for the same help in General chat, they would have been torn to pieces.

I turned General chat off the moment my character hit the ground ingame. It will stay off until I've completed all the puzzle quests. That way, nobody can spoil a quest for me, and I'll have no reason to get upset. I have guild chat on, because everyone agreed to keep it spoiler free.

• unfetteredunfettered Member Posts: 93

@ niceguy: how do you know the ingame community is better in GW2 than TSW? 

you said this and i was responding to it. i've only called GW2's community better than the fanboy forums, i did not say it was better than TSW's in game community. GW2 is mentioned too many times here as i am not comparing the two. first there's the guy who basically calls me a gw2 fanboy with motives and there's this. hope the GW2 line of discussion can be dropped now.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

@ niceguy: how do you know the ingame community is better in GW2 than TSW? 

you said this and i was responding to it. i've only called GW2's community better than the fanboy forums, i did not say it was better than TSW's in game community. GW2 is mentioned too many times here as i am not comparing the two. first there's the guy who basically calls me a gw2 fanboy with motives and there's this. hope the GW2 line of discussion can be dropped now.

GW2 discussion will only stop when it comes out and everyone bleating on about it can be in game playing it!

And all those people will be making me turn of general chat in GW2 because all that will appear in general chat is the following:

OMG so much better than WOW.

No noobs here only pros

TSW sucked balls, this has a better story.

OMG you are playing on a mac are you a fckn noob?

Where are the raids!?

Whats the end game?

LF Group must have XX gear, XX skill, no noobs.

• JTJT Member Posts: 401

so here's the deal, i was looking forward to buying this game in a few days but i am not so sure anymore. the reason is because of the fans. you guys are reminding me of TERA's fanbase alot. i use to hear how good the TSW community was and often that it was a thinking man's game for those with specific tastes, but now it looks like anything but. the forums for this game are awful here and on their official site.

any reasonable complaint thread(like the need to add incentives to hold points in fusang rather than just caps which has turned it into a massive cap trading fest) rapidly becomes a SWTOR/GW2 bash over there and here i guess it's just part of the unofficial forum code of conduct.

please tell me that this is a fringe division of fans who mainly hang on forums and the game is not populated by guys like this. TERA was not a very good game and the fanboys made it all the more unbearable. TSW looks really fun but people like the kind posting here will ruin any game experience. 

There's no such thing as a good community in an MMO or any multiplayer game any longer.  You might find a good guild/clan to play with, but the majority of players now adays are selfish and rude.  You either learn to ignore them or just give up playing multiplayer games.  Good luck.

• chefdiablochefdiablo Member Posts: 202

Communities have been a leading cause for me to leave a game before.

SWTOR is the most recent and for a reason listed in the OP which is that despite the poor design of Ilum, it was the community that decided to trade kills thus making the experience dull.

It would be like playing dodgeball except everyone is going to take turns not moving and having free throws. For me there were very few days where I had fun in Ilum. There were a few really good fights that went back and forth, but not enough to justify my money every month.

The final straw came when people would message me with insults and threats because I would kill players no matter what group they were in. The irony of being told that I am the one wrecking it for others was laughable. I understand the imbalance issues and whatnot, but I just do not see how a community can justify playing on a pvp server, in a pvp zone while trading kills. If raiding was exploited in a similar manner few people would defend such a posistion.

A community can drive me from the game, but I usually give the game a chance first before making my judgements. Try it out, make your choice and then quit if needbe. Do not seek your reason to dislike the game before even logging in.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

please tell me that this is a fringe division of fans who mainly hang on forums...

It is.  They're called forum PVPers.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • chefdiablochefdiablo Member Posts: 202

Originally posted by timtrack The only problem i have with "the community" right now is all the: "LFM Polaris Elite - must have Q10 epic gear with perfect glyphs and 10 years worth of TSW experience. No noobs allowed." - And the game is about a week old.
    There is no community. The chat is broken, still. Most people ignore each other out in the world to a point where they would stand there and watch you get killed, instead of helping out. And then you have the elitist d-bags like the ones you described.

This is just one of those glaring examples of why I am struggling to find games that I like to play. People will just watch another player struggle and die or if you try to help someone that is obviously struggling they often turn on you like a rabid badger.

• XPraetorianXXPraetorianX Member CommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

What an unbelievably stupid reason for not buying a video game.

God man.... Its just human beings... the same as those playing all the other MMORPGs.

If you want to play the game, then buy the game.  If you don't, don't you dare blame it on the people who already have.  Thats pure madness.

HAHAHA AMEN

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Originally posted by Foomerang

ive had nothing but a great time with the players in game. all very nice and helpful.

Indeed. Arcadia has so far shown a great community.

OP don't confuse in game community with MMORPG.com community.... no offense MMORPG.com... but... well... y'know...

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

so here's the deal, i was looking forward to buying this game in a few days but i am not so sure anymore. the reason is because of the fans. you guys are reminding me of TERA's fanbase alot. i use to hear how good the TSW community was and often that it was a thinking man's game for those with specific tastes, but now it looks like anything but. the forums for this game are awful here and on their official site.

any reasonable complaint thread(like the need to add incentives to hold points in fusang rather than just caps which has turned it into a massive cap trading fest) rapidly becomes a SWTOR/GW2 bash over there and here i guess it's just part of the unofficial forum code of conduct.

please tell me that this is a fringe division of fans who mainly hang on forums and the game is not populated by guys like this. TERA was not a very good game and the fanboys made it all the more unbearable. TSW looks really fun but people like the kind posting here will ruin any game experience. 

LOL Tera sucked and billed me even after I quit playing. I cant speak for the lasting appeal of TSW but what I have played so far has been pretty AMAZING. Even if the end game is not there I will not feel cheated because it has been one hell of a ride. That plus GW2 is around the corner 7/20 BW YEAH !

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by chefdiablo

Most people ignore each other out in the world to a point where they would stand there and watch you get killed, instead of helping out. And then you have the elitist d-bags like the ones you described.

This is just one of those glaring examples of why I am struggling to find games that I like to play. People will just watch another player struggle and die or if you try to help someone that is obviously struggling they often turn on you like a rabid badger.

They will happily slip past you while a mob is killing you, because then they won't have to "waste time" fighting that mob before they can click on the mission objective and be on their way. Or because while you're keeping the mob busy, they can harvest the resource node that you were trying to reach.

MMO's are full of "special snowflakes", lol

i'll definitely give it a chance. this was my last fear before buying the game(just learning from mistakes), i'll try it via buddy key first but i have high hopes.

thanks for the replies.

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Turn off chat, stay away from forums, use the block/ignore features and mingle with those you can tolerate.

Apply this to every MMO venture.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Honestly OP you are right on target. I am really not sure what is going on but the community is deterioating at a rapid pace. Just a few days ago I would have said it was a very positive community along the lines of Ryzom or SWG in the day, but frankly over the last 2 days especially we have gotten a very negative element in the game, people that will demand help and when you give them hints instead of the outright answer they will cuss you our in public chat. Last night on the new RP server was horrible I actually ended up unsubbing from all the public channels over it. Kind of ironic considering the chat issues and begging them to fix chat.

Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Originally posted by chefdiablo

Most people ignore each other out in the world to a point where they would stand there and watch you get killed, instead of helping out. And then you have the elitist d-bags like the ones you described.

They will happily slip past you while a mob is killing you, because then they won't have to "waste time" fighting that mob before they can click on the mission objective and be on their way. Or because while you're keeping the mob busy, they can harvest the resource node that you were trying to reach.

MMO's are full of "special snowflakes", lol

LOL I had a quest I had to die for to progress it I had to be in ghost form. Well I kept grabing hordes of zombies and people would save me lol. I had to run in the woods to die. So not every one is like that.

Originally posted by MMOarQQ

Turn off chat, stay away from forums, use the block/ignore features and mingle with those you can tolerate.

no thanks, i will play a mmo to play with others. i think TSW will end up better than the face put on by the small number of its fanboys. i can't guess why tera was every bit as bad as the forums but i am gonna give this the benefit of the doubt.

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299
    Originally posted by MMOarQQ

no thanks, i will play a mmo to play with others. i think TSW will end up better than the face put on by the small number of its fanboys. i can't guess why tera was every bit as bad as the forums but i am gonna give this the benefit of the doubt.

Ok i think its about time to relize that if you dont want to play with people who are fans ont he game (aka fanbois) then just dont play...

Life will continue if you dont play.

Im sure theres some forum on this site where the community is exactly how you want it, find it and play that game and you wont have to worry so much about playing amongst fans or fanbois or whatever.

Also i give this thread a 9/10, was very sucessful.

you actually helped convince me hat it's not all bad bigrock. idk why you assume i want to dislike the game, i was just telling our associate here that i don't play a mmo to turn off chat and avoid people(thus removing the mmo feel). like i said though it probably won't come to that. if we could all go home now, this thread will sink. i am truly sorry to have questioned any aspect of this game or to have called a spade a spade in regards to the portion of the community that i can see. 

• TheDubanat0rTheDubanat0r Member Posts: 76

I have played TERA since release and have two lvl 60''s, I have over 48 hours played time in TSW. The TSW community is so much better its not even close. With everyone able to do every role more often then not i find ppl sacraficing dps for just a moment to make sure the tank stays alive. Working together seems to be the general vibe while in a party,

you actually helped convince me hat it's not all bad bigrock. idk why you assume i want to dislike the game, i was just telling our associate here that i don't play a mmo to turn off chat and avoid people(thus removing the mmo feel). like i said though it probably won't come to that. if we could all go home now, this thread will sink. i am truly sorry to have questioned any aspect of this game or to have called a spade a spade in regards to the portion of the community that i can see. 

well im not going to get baited into an argument.

Its just that the community is a strong point in TSW, and this thread started out by insulting fans of the game and through out the thread have taken any realistic advice defensivly..which most would expect here i guess.  

Its not that you question an aspect of the game and fanbois jumped on you...it was your approach, which oddly enough was ironic given your wary opinion about the community.

This is why i suggesed lookign elsewhere for a game, with a different community.  There are plenty of games with no "fanbois" and a very negative overal feeling towards the game by its community.

Make a different thread and simply ask how the community is and see the diffrence in responses, cut out the defensive "everyone is attacking me for questioning" approach when they tell you their opinions and you might see a different side of the community, at least regarding those who play.

And yes ive been around the internet long enough to know what this thread was which is why i rated it 9/10, i think it got the responses you intended.

• The_GamblesThe_Gambles Member Posts: 25

Thus far my experience with the community in TSW has been stellar. I've even joined the IC and OOC channels in chat (nice for a casual RPer like myself!). Even the general isn't too bad. The help channel has been useful. I haven't really ran into anyone that I didn't care for and had to block yet, which is nice.

But I think you should shy away from this game as you seem to be the in the type of  "community" I don't want this game. Someone who is too concerned about how other people behave is always the most annoying in any MMO. So is the community good? yes, it's wonderful. Should you play TSW? absolutely not, please.

Originally posted by JayZas

Thus far my experience with the community in TSW has been stellar. I've even joined the IC and OOC channels in chat (nice for a casual RPer like myself!). Even the general isn't too bad. The help channel has been useful. I haven't really ran into anyone that I didn't care for and had to block yet, which is nice.

But I think you should shy away from this game as you seem to be the in the type of  "community" I don't want this game. Someone who is too concerned about how other people behave is always the most annoying in any MMO. So is the community good? yes, it's wonderful. Should you play TSW? absolutely not, please.

OMG JayZ plays TSW!

• The_GamblesThe_Gambles Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by BigRock411
    Originally posted by JayZas

OMG JayZ plays TSW!

And I now come in vanilla flavor!!!