Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What embarrasses you about things you do in MMO if you try to explain to non-gamer friend

BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Mine would probably be answering why I usually have a female toon.

Comments

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Tending an online garden when there's work to be done in the real garden.

• Ashen_XAshen_X Member Posts: 363

Going out of my way to get all of the best looking armor skins for my main. Essentially it boils down to playing with dolls. A forum poster in Champions Online once described it as Barbies with 'Splosions.

When all has been said and done, more will have been said than done.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Telling people that I post here is kind of embarrassing.

• MexorillaMexorilla Member Posts: 313

"Oh man, i was in this dungeon last night..."

"What?"

"...What?"

"You...were in a dungeon?"

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Mexorilla

"Oh man, i was in this dungeon last night..."

"What?"

"...What?"

"You...were in a dungeon?"

lol

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I roleplay characters with moderate to bizzare personality issues.  The more I work at it, the more it brings the character to life for me, and improves my gameplay satisfaction.  They're sort of like quirky characters from a British sitcom.

DnD players get it.  Most MMO players don't.  Non-gamers?  Roleplay... is that like when you use dice?

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • chefdiablochefdiablo Member Posts: 202

Having to explain to my wife and or friends why it is important for me to attend certain battles.

I have played a few pvp centric games that have caused a stir in my real life social circles.

Non gamers just have a complete look of disbelief when you in all seriousness try to explain how important you are to a group, or guild, or faction.

• hundejahrehundejahre Member Posts: 339

I treat them to the same curtsey I would want from NASCAR fans... I don't talk about it.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by hundejahre

I treat them to the same curtsey I would want from NASCAR fans... I don't talk about it.

^^^Pretty much this^^^

I just don't talk about gaming with non gamer family/friends.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Playing a little loli with a giant cannon because her class is gender restricted.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

non-gamer friend ?

But seriously, stay away from the subject they will not understand, only thing you will succeed in is building a gap :)

add. reminds me of a time where my old friend who were and still is a pen&paper roleplayer came to visit, and I wanted to show him the wonders of a mmorpg so he may see the light. I explained some basics and lend him a low level char while I went away for an hour... when i came back, a GM was giving me a warning for horrasing people.

So as the true roleplayer he was, he decided to be a brawling person looking for a barfight, and had insulted other players to find one.. rather much I guess when a GM was there lol. He never got it, but from then he just though my mmorpg addiction was wierd and how I would play "a game where roleplaying is not allowed".

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Probably explaining why I play something that's incredibly boring to actually *play* in exchange to see random passerbys here and there. Then again, they have seen me play Disgaea before, and brought up basically the same concerns.

If it doesn't play like CoD, then why would anyone play it?

~I don't have any friends that don't play some kind of video games, and I refuse to speak to my relatives because they only own a Wii.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231

Nothing embarrasses me about it, I explain to them that I love the games, and that it is my favorite hobby. When I got hired for my job I was asked to introduce myself and state something unique about me, I stated my name, stated what location I was working for and position, and then said I am a proud MMO gamer since 1999, and showed off my Authenticator for WoW at the time. Now I have one for SWTOR.....which I plan on burning, and one for SOE which I plan on keeping.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

I don't waste my time on non-gamers.

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489

My anger at the lack of transgender options in MMOs. I mean pretty dresses shouldn't be female only.

I don't really have that problem outside of games.

a yo ho ho

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

I usually avoid the conversation. My non-gamer friends, which are few and far between simply will never understand why I like the things I do when it comes to video games.

I would have to say the funniest moment talking to non gamer friends was my senior year in HS. Got married in Asherons Call. Proceded to tell friends I got married to a really hot college girl over the weekend. They all went nuts for a week trying to figure out if I was lieing or who it was. Sure, it was probably some middle aged fat slob Pedo (hey back in thoes days girls didnt exist in games right?) but man was that hilarious.

• khelbonkhelbon Member UncommonPosts: 124

First rule of fight club..We don't talk about fight club...

Kinda what I do with my friends. Only two of my buddies played PnP D&D back in the day on the old 2nd edition rules. Once I told my buddy bout this epic fight I had did (Old school WoW MC days when it was first released and he was like "What in the f%^k is WoW and they have games online? They have games you can play online...That won't last over a year then it will fade away"

How wrong he was lol.

• FalconiumFalconium Member Posts: 20

Why I care about the friends I meet on said MMOs so much. I guess some people assume every game's community is like CoD. However, with all the dungeon and raid finders it's taking baby steps to get there.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Taking my shirt and pants off for boss fights or pvp.

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

When I show them a video I made of me PvPing, trying to explain how things work and what the different acronyms mean (DPS) and such.

Also - When I try to tell them how I have been rocking in PvP lately and how much fun it is.

When I play minecraft and they watch.  (How can you have fun playing this?... they say)

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.