Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Increasingly wary of this game due to its community

so here's the deal, i was looking forward to buying this game in a few days but i am not so sure anymore. the reason is because of the fans. you guys are reminding me of TERA's fanbase alot. i use to hear how good the TSW community was and often that it was a thinking man's game for those with specific tastes, but now it looks like anything but. the forums for this game are awful here and on their official site.

any reasonable complaint thread(like the need to add incentives to hold points in fusang rather than just caps which has turned it into a massive cap trading fest) rapidly becomes a SWTOR/GW2 bash over there and here i guess it's just part of the unofficial forum code of conduct.

please tell me that this is a fringe division of fans who mainly hang on forums and the game is not populated by guys like this. TERA was not a very good game and the fanboys made it all the more unbearable. TSW looks really fun but people like the kind posting here will ruin any game experience. 

Comments

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

What an unbelievably stupid reason for not buying a video game.

God man.... Its just human beings... the same as those playing all the other MMORPGs.

If you want to play the game, then buy the game.  If you don't, don't you dare blame it on the people who already have.  Thats pure madness.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

ive had nothing but a great time with the players in game. all very nice and helpful.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

God man.... Its just human beings... the same as those playing all the other MMORPGs.

If you want to play the game, then buy the game.  If you don't, don't you dare blame it on the people who already have.  Thats pure madness.

Amen. Plus the in-game community has been nothing but great in my experience on Arcadia. I've yet to see Barrens Chat pop up at any time.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• unfetteredunfettered Member Posts: 93

and yet it proved to be a real issue with TERA. before i left i counted at least 200 unique "i quit" threads citing the community. you guys are pretty god awful, but as i said i am hoping it's just on the forums.

Originally posted by Foomerang

ive had nothing but a great time with the players in game. all very nice and helpful.

so would you say that guys like the ones that post here are the minority? are you on a more populated dimension?

• KhondorKhondor Member UncommonPosts: 51

There is no utopia in the gaming community.   It will always be representative of the real world, where there are many, wait for it... ASSHOLES.  No game is immune.   Stop looking for the perfect batch of polite and helpful gamers.  You will not find them.  

• StormwindXStormwindX Member Posts: 168
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

I don't think this kind of logic quite works here due to one simple factor: it's an MMORPG. You're supposed to play as part of a community. If the community becomes unbearable to a certain player, then the game itself loses a lot of its appeal.

With that in mind, I don't really think it's that stupid a reason, though one might argue that the bulk of the community itself can be almost completely ignored once you find a nice enough guild with good-hearted and active players.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

What? It's like this in any game forum, specially mmos and here. Also, forum PVP man, it's just fun image

Never judge an in-game community based on forums. However, while i'm not playing the game, allow me to give some advice.

Please, if you buy the game, don't spam chat askign for answers for every single quest. I don't know what the community in-game is like right now, but from live stream and posts, there's alot of players frustrated and annoyed by lazy peopel who don't even try to figure things out and start asking for the asnwer directly. trsut me, there's alot of them.

Ask for hints, open the browser and go to the officila forums, talk to somebidy, anything. It's a game that as some degree of focus on puzzles, so i myself would be annouyed if players woudl be complaing about it all the time.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by unfettered

so here's the deal, i was looking forward to buying this game in a few days but i am not so sure anymore. the reason is because of the fans. you guys are reminding me of TERA's fanbase alot. i use to hear how good the TSW community was and often that it was a thinking man's game for those with specific tastes, but now it looks like anything but. the forums for this game are awful here and on their official site.

any reasonable complaint thread(like the need to add incentives to hold points in fusang rather than just caps which has turned it into a massive cap trading fest) rapidly becomes a SWTOR/GW2 bash over there and here i guess it's just part of the unofficial forum code of conduct.

please tell me that this is a fringe division of fans who mainly hang on forums and the game is not populated by guys like this. TERA was not a very good game and the fanboys made it all the more unbearable. TSW looks really fun but people like the kind posting here will ruin any game experience. 

Is this the same guy who said the same exact thing in the GW2 and the Tera forums some time ago or is that my imagination? I could have sworn i read the exact same thing as titles in the forums of those other two titles.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

hah, one thing I always loved about WoW was that its playerbase loved to trash its own game.  After awhile, it seems like the playerbase in other similar MMORPGs becomes incredibly xenophobic.  Any criticism, no matter how valid, is usually met with "go back to WoW, noob!," "This isn't WoW!,"  "You actually have to think in this game! (TSW)."

I suppose it's somewhat valid when you have people in general chat begging for help for the investigation quests in TSW, but it's beyond stupid when you bring up something like interface add-ons, and the community is like, "This is an entirely different game!  Do you want it to copy everything from WoW?"

It's just funny because do you know what people end up doing?  They end up going back to WoW, and the other MMORPG usually ends up in near maitenance mode or goes F2P (Rift excluded).

• SarykSaryk Member UncommonPosts: 476

If you judge any MMO or any game by forum post or its members, sell your PC. And I am not saying that to be mean. But you have a skewed sense of reality or are too young to understand.

I’ll give you a hint. Forums are like customer support, you will never hear some one who called CS and say” Golly gee wiz, I love holding for a hour and talking to those intelligent ,well mannered, English speaking people!”

• BrainDeadGBrainDeadG Member Posts: 30

MMO communities are not very good in general. Often time there is much trashyness and fanboy antics that it can sometimes become a pestilence and end up providing a rotten experience for a player!

I think this has gotten worst as more and more games turn casual and developers start catering to a casual demograph, not like they use to when they specifically made games for geek-type anymore.

Here you have a good game, then a community that can turn that good game dead upon it's head. You can try TSW if you wish but if the community is that rotten then you might have a difficult time playing it and may not be worth your time. There is a difference however between having thick skin and a game that is simply not worth the time or effort.

Have no fear though, there are plenty other games avaiable! The choice is up to you friend.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

I've been coming here a looooong time, and this has to be one of the most pointless threads I've ever seen.

Joined - July 2004

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

The OP should change his name to "fettered"

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Foomerang ive had nothing but a great time with the players in game. all very nice and helpful.
    so would you say that guys like the ones that post here are the minority? are you on a more populated dimension?
    Im saying that if you base your mmo purchases on how nice the game's forums are, you're probably not going to play a single mmo ever again ;)

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

Every forum everywhere is full of garbage....if you wont play a game because of the forums then you need to learn the internetz 

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

Originally posted by Khondor

There is no utopia in the gaming community.   It will always be representative of the real world, where there are many, wait for it... ASSHOLES.  No game is immune.   Stop looking for the perfect batch of polite and helpful gamers.  You will not find them.  

pretty crazy the strawmen being thrown around. it's easy to answer, is it as bad as TERA or not?  is it as bad in game as this forum is? those are easy questions, and now i am thinking the answer is yes.

there's many many many levels of bad between TERA, LoL, HoN and say WoW, then more levels between WoW and a game like LotRO. so where does TSW fall? i ain' t looking for perfect, i'm looking for liveable and decent which is not found on any TSW forum right now. i will not be going into a mmo to turn off chat, play alone or run with the same small group exclusively. 

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

It often comes down to perception and point of view.  Biases matter.

Case in point: Quite a few GW2 fans have been god-awful, not only bashing other games in GW2 forums, but bashing other games in their respective forums while singing the praises of GW2.  I've seen that on this website, as well as others, but a fan of GW2 is not likely to notice, or take umbrage with it.  Does that behavior define all GW2 fans?

As far as I've seen, the in-game community in TSW has been outstanding.  It's still early in the life of the game, of course, but so far it's good.

Forums, on the other hand, are for PvP, of the "my dad can beat up your dad" variety.  Some fans simply cannot accept that multiple games can be fun for a range of people.  They seem compelled to promote their chosen game at the expense of other games.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

Originally posted by itgrowls

Is this the same guy who said the same exact thing in the GW2 and the Tera forums some time ago or is that my imagination? I could have sworn i read the exact same thing as titles in the forums of those other two titles.

no...definitely not.

• travamarstravamars Member CommonPosts: 417

I hate 'beg me to play your game' posts.

Originally posted by Rohn

It often comes down to perception and point of view.  Biases matter.

Case in point: Quite a few GW2 fans have been god-awful, not only bashing other games in GW2 forums, but bashing other games in their respective forums while singing the praises of GW2.  I've seen that on this website, as well as others, but a fan of GW2 is not likely to notice, or take umbrage with it.

As far as I've seen, the in-game community in TSW has been outstanding.  It's still early in the life of the game, of course, but so far it's good.

Forums, on the other hand, are for PvP, of the "my dad can beat up your dad" variety.  Some fans simply cannot accept that multiple games can be fun for a range of people.  They seem compelled to promote their chosen game at the expense of other games.

i just seek an answer that can put my concern to rest, and thanks to foomerang for being the only one to try, although you're outnumbered by the bad seeds. i just want to know if in the game, the people ae as bad as tey are here. that's practically a yes/no question. 

i'd love to go with Foomerang's assessment but the rest of you are reinforcing my fears.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by itgrowls

I think his point can be made about any newly released or upcoming semi-popular mmo.  Every community on these forums is like this for newly released and upcoming games.  Guess he's never gonna play another mmo.

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

We are the cream in the crepes and we will always be here whatever game you choose to buy.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• stromp45stromp45 Member UncommonPosts: 159

Most in the game is very helpful and have a good view on things. unless you give awnsers to someone of the quests in main chat then alot will get pissed

TERA fans said the same, but community is either number 1 or 2 on the list of reasons to avoid the game. i know forums are bad...i am asking if it's like this in game like TERA was and the apprehension to answer is really telling me that it is.

if it's not i'd love ot hear more peoples' impressions rather than people getting upset that a crappy group of people can be offputting to someone. so yea, if it is not and i have no reason to be concerned then say so.