Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Picking apples? In MY MMO? Really?

Comments

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

After an action pack weekend of drinking and puking, guess what the first thing I do when I come home from my heroic journey, I do the dishes, clean and take out the trash. The point being not everything we do is super awesome and it shouldn't be it leads to burn out. 

Actually this reminds me of TERA (don't now where i got this from), the first time you kill a BAM its awesome, the second time you killl it is also awesome, but after your 30th kill you start dreaming about BAMs. Its good to have the little things to put things into prospective. Just like too much violence desentizes a person.

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468

most of the dynamic events/ renown hearts i did there were a varitety of options on how you could contribute and there was pretty much always something martial/combat oriented or at the very least something you could destroy I never felt limited in my choices on how to contribute. Besides often times my choices came down to convenience and availability ,  and i don't mind picking a few apples here and there because i am not forced to do it in the first place and i felt that most events i took part in, had options. Besides its not like every event is the same thing over and over again. You always have choices, funny how many gamers take the most effecient route and act like its the only route and then bitch about bad design when all they had to do was be more mentally flexable.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by unfettered
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ
    Originally posted by Angier2758

So why is picking apples ok, but killing 10 pigs not ok?

Honestly, i don't mind killing 10 rats, as long as i'ts fun. Could be the combat, the story behind it, etc. As long as i feel the quest i'm on is engaging, i'm all good.

Why are people ok with it? Because the game is "new and shinny" and must be defended. Don't worry, it's with all mmos.

and because you don't have to do it in the game. if you don't want to kill 10 rats in swtor/TERA well you're assed out. can't level properly and you can't progress at all if you don't wanna play battlegrounds.

True, and i love that, but if you're not into crafting or pvp, you pretty much have to, which isn't a bad thing IMO.

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

I don't mind doing any particular quest as long as it is varied enough.

• Hero_AlphaHero_Alpha Member UncommonPosts: 60

I like having lots of different things to do besides combat. Probably my favorite zone in LotRO is the Shire and they is a lot of delivering pies and other stuff there. Its nice to take it easy for a while and pick apples then go have an "epic" battle after.

playing:DCUO,GW2,WoW
    played:SWG,LotRO,CoH,GW,FF14,ESO,AlbionOnline

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    They need to make a heart quest that deals with a farmhouse or factory or something out in the middle of nowhere. When it begins, it will say that you are being attacked by something. Next, corrupted will start coming in through the windows doors etc. you can rebuild the for experience.as you live longer, the event will continue to send harder and header stuff at you until everyone in the farm is dead! It will be called corruptcalypse! So much fun lol
  • HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Angier2758

So why is picking apples ok, but killing 10 pigs not ok?

I think you're missing the point of both arguments.  The gripe about killing 10 pigs has to do with the monotony of the overall quest system, which continuously feeds the player quests that have the same objectives: kill X enemies, loot X items, or gather X items (ie. apples.)  After a while, every quest begins to feel like a repetition of the last.  Changing context does little to disguise this.  

The gripe about apples here was mostly that it doesn't feel heroic; that it feels too common a task for a hero to undertake.  

It may follow that picking apples can begin to feel boring and monotonous.  Indeed, it is very likely that the same people who have a problem with the repetition of "kill 10 pigs" quests will have a problem with "pick 10 apples" quests if that's all they are ever asked to do.  As for that, the justifications for the existence of such quests as small minoriities within the game were given.   Namely, they provide a necessary contrast to the more epic adventures, and they help make the world feel "real."  

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by colddog04

Now there is some spin for picking apples and feeding cows.

I just chalked it up to being one of the first hearts in the starting zone. I thought, "alright, I can accept this. It's moving me through the starting area and getting me used to the controls and whatnot."

But no! It was "pacing design!"

They're not completely talking out of their ass here you know, that's a basic concept of game design.  The Japanese actually have a word for it, 'Merihari'.

"'What's merihar?' you are probably asking; well it's a Japanese word that embodies rhythm+balance+distribution—for example. imagine a roller coaster ride without merihari, and it would just be a continuous downhill ride. That may sound good, but, actually without the tension of that initial climb, a fairly large chunk of the thrill is lost. It's why boss fights work well in games. The stage before it builds up the tension. If you have a game that only has boss fights, the experience begins to feel shallow. (a game that sticks in my mind for doing this, unfortunately, is Omega Boost from Polyphony, a game that would have been much better if it had built up the tension before each battle)

(quote taken from http://kotaku.com/5924387/the-difference-between-a-good-video-game-and-a-bad-one )

The nice thing about MOST of the things like apple or grape picking or whatever, is that usually it's an option, rather than the only way to proceed.  So you can slow down if you want, or keep rushing headlong, whatever a player's personal sense pacing dictates.  Not just an option in the sense of 'go level somewhere else', but in that hearts have different ways to proceed, and dynamic events can usually almost singlehandedly fill up a heart.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Wait Meow - are you actually saying that some professional game developers may actually know more about good game design than forum arm-chair devs?

UNPOSSIBLE!

;)

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683
    Originally posted by Meowhead

I just chalked it up to being one of the first hearts in the starting zone. I thought, "alright, I can accept this. It's moving me through the starting area and getting me used to the controls and whatnot."

They're not completely talking out of their ass here you know, that's a basic concept of game design.  The Japanese actually have a word for it, 'Merihari'.

"'What's merihar?' you are probably asking; well it's a Japanese word that embodies rhythm+balance+distribution—for example. imagine a roller coaster ride without merihari, and it would just be a continuous downhill ride. That may sound good, but, actually without the tension of that initial climb, a fairly large chunk of the thrill is lost. It's why boss fights work well in games. The stage before it builds up the tension. If you have a game that only has boss fights, the experience begins to feel shallow. (a game that sticks in my mind for doing this, unfortunately, is Omega Boost from Polyphony, a game that would have been much better if it had built up the tension before each battle)

(quote taken from http://kotaku.com/5924387/the-difference-between-a-good-video-game-and-a-bad-one )

The nice thing about MOST of the things like apple or grape picking or whatever, is that usually it's an option, rather than the only way to proceed.  So you can slow down if you want, or keep rushing headlong, whatever a player's personal sense pacing dictates.  Not just an option in the sense of 'go level somewhere else', but in that hearts have different ways to proceed, and dynamic events can usually almost singlehandedly fill up a heart.

THANK YOU.

I've been trying to remember where the heck i read that article for like an hour now. I was going to reference this as well. There is some truth to the concept of lesser events as pacing.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by terrant

THANK YOU.

I've been trying to remember where the heck i read that article for like an hour now. I was going to reference this as well. There is some truth to the concept of lesser events as pacing.

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/episode-07-pacing

For those prefering cartoons.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I udnerstand that pacing is an important aspect for not only game design, but movies, writing... well many forms of entertainment.

What I don't agree with is how they spun picking apples into some great example of their prowess in pacing design.

What I don't agree with is how they spun picking apples into some great example of their prowess in pacing design.

Whether or not it's a GREAT example, that's definitely what it is.  It's a break in pacing.

Actually, I'm not sure if you can call it a great example, but you can certainly call it a really BLATANT example.  Would that make you happier? :>

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

You see how Anet can twist some words around, and then their fanbase thinks the mostmundane tasks in the game are the greatest things since sliced bread?

I wonder how many hours most of the posters here spent criticizing other games for their mundane quest design.

• unfetteredunfettered Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by SuperXero89

You see how Anet can twist some words around, and then their fanbase thinks the mostmundane tasks in the game are the greatest things since sliced bread?

I wonder how many hours most of the posters here spent criticizing other games for their mundane quest design.

how did tera turn out?  

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by StrixMaxima

It is a straightforward answer, but I think that anyone with some critical thinking would have arrived at this conclusion.

That's the thing tho, critical thinking in these forums is a very rare thing amongst those who hate GW2.

See the OP can post quotes all he wants to (and don't get me wrong here i applaud him for doing so) however, the people who dislike or hate this game won't pay attention to things like factual data, quoting actual interviews or even recorded gameplay that everyone can see easily. They'll still be running around like bobblehead dolls chirping the same words over and over until the sun sets. "P2W" "hype HYPE" "FANBOI" And anyone who tries to show them otherwise is a terrible horrible person for doing so (#sarcasm) or they supposedly pounce on people when someone make these chirps of nonsense with no basis for their arguments other then an adolescent "I'M RIGHT" cheer at the end of their post.

Besides i kinda like the idea of being able to do mundane things for fun, it breaks the monotony of killing everthing in sight.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

Oh man, a game developer trying to sell his video game said that not fun things are actually fun because they are in guild wars 2. I can now see the light, cant wait to pick apples in GW2!

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

The difference is that most game designers only give you the picking apples quests....throughout the entire game.  In this case, these mundane quests are completely optional.

On top of that, no one here claimed those renown hearts were the greatest thing since sliced bread.  I for one find them a little boring and only have done them if I want a change of pace.  Which, coincidentally, is exactly why they are there.

You can go back to hating on GW2 now.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

Not as many hours as I've spent talking about how Animal Crossing is one of the most awesome games EVER.

Hey.  Give me at least a little credit for being able to hold an opinion without Arenanet giving it to me.  I've loved picking apples in games since long before GW2 came out.

I can't speak for anybody else, but I'm part of the fanbase and I know what I like.  I like doing silly little mundane relaxing activities.

That's never actually been my problem with quests in MMORPGs.  I have other problems with them, many of which I've recounted time after time.

It's like how when people complain about a 'kill 10 rats' quest, and people accuse them of being hypocritical because GW2 has killing of things.  It really DOES do it in some different ways, and just because certain posters might not find those ceratin ways important to them personally, does not mean that they don't exist.

I like that when somebody says 'oh no, bandits are burning my crops', they actually are.  I've always been annoyed by quests where they claim things are happening that very clearly are not happening, because it's a very weird disassociation that builds up over hundreds of hours of questing where the quest text is clearly at odds with what the game itself is presenting.

There's lots of features like that, that make me like dynamic events.  I never hated 10 rat quests because I hate killing.  If I hated killing in games, I'd probably switch genres away from MMORPGs. :)

It's the same way with the relatively mundane tasks in GW2.  There are ways they do and present things that I prefer.  That doesn't make me hypocritical or a fanboy, or mindlessly lapping up what Arenanet gives me.

I'm pretty sure I'm not completely alone, either (Though sometimes I do like to pretend I'm the only smart person in the world and every other person holding my opinions are just holding it because they're mimicking me).

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Whether or not it's a GREAT example, that's definitely what it is.  It's a break in pacing.

Actually, I'm not sure if you can call it a great example, but you can certainly call it a really BLATANT example.  Would that make you happier? :>

My original post, as you can probably tell, was meant to be a bit tongue and cheek.

Besides that, I think this is a very fine example of a situation where one player may find the pacing of picking apples after an event exquisite and another may find it monotonous and unimportant. Poor pacing is just as real as great pacing and I'm not convinced that feeding cows and picking apples are the best example of a master designer at work. But perhaps many feels differently.

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

Not as many hours as I've spent talking about how Animal Crossing is one of the most awesome games EVER.

Hey.  Give me at least a little credit for being able to hold an opinion without Arenanet giving it to me.  I've loved picking apples in games since long before GW2 came out.

I can't speak for anybody else, but I'm part of the fanbase and I know what I like.  I like doing silly little mundane relaxing activities.

That's never actually been my problem with quests in MMORPGs.  I have other problems with them, many of which I've recounted time after time.

It's like how when people complain about a 'kill 10 rats' quest, and people accuse them of being hypocritical because GW2 has killing of things.  It really DOES do it in some different ways, and just because certain posters might not find those ceratin ways important to them personally, does not mean that they don't exist.

I like that when somebody says 'oh no, bandits are burning my crops', they actually are.  I've always been annoyed by quests where they claim things are happening that very clearly are not happening, because it's a very weird disassociation that builds up over hundreds of hours of questing where the quest text is clearly at odds with what the game itself is presenting.

There's lots of features like that, that make me like dynamic events.  I never hated 10 rat quests because I hate killing.  If I hated killing in games, I'd probably switch genres away from MMORPGs. :)

It's the same way with the relatively mundane tasks in GW2.  There are ways they do and present things that I prefer.  That doesn't make me hypocritical or a fanboy, or mindlessly lapping up what Arenanet gives me.

I'm pretty sure I'm not completely alone, either (Though sometimes I do like to pretend I'm the only smart person in the world and every other person holding my opinions are just holding it because they're mimicking me).

This is an excellent point.   You're told by a questgiver in some other game "Help!  Those Kobolds are attacking our town and have carried off villagers!".   Well they aren't, I watched!  They're just permanently standing in that field northeast of the questgiver.   =P

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

But the big question is:

If i don't want to pick appels, can i pick bananas?

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    Originally posted by evolver1972

The difference is that most game designers only give you the picking apples quests....throughout the entire game.  In this case, these mundane quests are completely optional.

On top of that, no one here claimed those renown hearts were the greatest thing since sliced bread.  I for one find them a little boring and only have done them if I want a change of pace.  Which, coincidentally, is exactly why they are there.

In 17 levels of GW2, I killed waves of bandits, I killed waves of cenaurs, I escorted lots of  caravans, and I picked lots of berries.  I may or may not have killed a world boss or two.  At least from what I have seen, content variety is not GW2's strongsuite.  I don't think you can say GW2 offers any greater variety of quests than perhaps WoW or SW:TOR.

Secondly, a change of pace is good, but the SW:TOR space minigame was also supposed to be a change of pace, yet people expected full-on freeform space travel.  My point is, if you're going to create content for a change of pace, at least make that change of pace fun and engaging.  If it's a boring mess, I'm going to call you out on it, which is what I'm doing right now.

• SteeJanzSteeJanz Member UncommonPosts: 334

Probably a lot less time spent then posters contantly posting negative comments about game they don't play (or will not play).

Probably a lot less time spent then posters contantly accusing positve posters of being fanboi's.  

Probably a lot less time spent then posters contantly accusing developers of lying and deceit.

Probably a lot less time spent then time spent trolling.

Probably a lot less time then I have wasted replying to this post.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Originally posted by evolver1972

In 17 levels of GW2, I killed waves of bandits, I killed waves of cenaurs, I escorted lots of  caravans, and I picked lots of berries.  I may or may not have killed a world boss or two.  At least from what I have seen, content variety is not GW2's strongsuite.  I don't think you can say GW2 offers any greater variety of quests than perhaps WoW or SW:TOR.

Secondly, a change of pace is good, but the SW:TOR space minigame was also supposed to be a change of pace, yet people expected full-on freeform space travel.  My point is, if you're going to create content for a change of pace, at least make that change of pace fun and engaging.  If it's a boring mess, I'm going to call you out on it, which is what I'm doing right now.

If you had called them out on the mundane tasks being  a boring mess in your opinion, that would have been fine.  Instead, what you did was take a cheap shot (a completely inaccurate one btw) at both the game's designers and its fanbase.

That's cool if you think the "change of pace" is boring (I thought some of it was too).  However, one of the things said in that quote was that they are looking at the "boring ones" and trying to make them fun.  So, they're doing exactly what you want them to do and you turn around and say they're twisting things.  I don't really understand that "logic".

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!