Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TSW and SWG...

2»

Comments

• No not really like SWG.  Its not very sandboxy at all.  The PvE world is essentially static. 

The zones are pretty open and you can wander around without the tyrany of quest hubs jhanging over your head.  You can do your own thing a bit more than many other currently released MMOs, but you aren't building a house and making your own shop or anything.   You aren't harvesting resources except by killing stuff.

• Originally posted by jdnyc
    Originally posted by Terronte

I never played SWG but I know it is nothing like it.

LOL!  Fantastic quote and explains everything about all your posts.

I don't know something, but I know something.

No it doesn't.  You don't need to have played a game to know facts about it.

That you transformed one sentence fragment into an entirely different sentence fragment does not reflect well.

This is a classic trick to lie and try not to get cuaght at it in the rhetorical arena.  You should avoid it.  Its way to easy to get caught and when it fails it fails spectacularly and makes you look both dishonest and not that smart.

Not saying you are either of those things.  People do this stuff naturally.  Just letting you know you are playing with fire.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Pelagato

Hey guys, or TSW players... Is it fair to say that TSW is like Galaxies????

I know that TSW doesnt have any levels and such, but the general openworldness and sandboxtry... Are those things present in TSW... or is just a game on rails with a levelless system?

As a fan and player of both TSW and SWG, my opinion is that that the two absolutely nothing alike.

I suppose one can say that in both games the gameplay isn't directly tied to leveling (in both games you go out experience the content at you own pace and as you go, your skills accumulate at their own pace alongside).  But honestly, I think that's a pretty vague reason to call the games "similar".  

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Orphes

I am led to believe that the general opinion is that for a game to be successful it have to be no:1.

Whoever is leading you to believe this is an idiot.  Break-free from their influence as soon as you can lest they convince you of all kinds of other stupidity.

Also, you may want to ask this person the following questions and let me know their response:

1.  #1 at what?

2.  Whatever about everything and everyone that isn't #1?

3.  Does this mean that there is only one successful person in the world and the rest of us are all failures?  (since there can only be one #1)

Anyhow, good luck to you and be careful about who you let "lead" you to believe things.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by Sebber
    Originally posted by Maitrader
    Originally posted by Alot

No, its not like SWG..... its a Themebox, not a sandbox nor a themepark... enter, a new sub-genre in the culture

Nope, still a themepark. Even Ragnar called it a themepark.

I am sure he was just trying to settle all the muck-raking spoiled MMOers who really dont want anything but a themepark... but a traditional themepark has set classes.... you know.... roll all 8-12 and get them to cap in order to fully experience the game? its okay though, GW2 is coming out soon and that .....THAT, is truly a themepark.

Themepark is the best genre, why do you think people play that and not sandbox games?

Umm perhaps because there hasn't been a AAA sandbox in oh... 8-10 years?

Its okay ArcheAge will soon destroy the competition.

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Vunak23

No, its not like SWG..... its a Themebox, not a sandbox nor a themepark... enter, a new sub-genre in the culture

I am sure he was just trying to settle all the muck-raking spoiled MMOers who really dont want anything but a themepark... but a traditional themepark has set classes.... you know.... roll all 8-12 and get them to cap in order to fully experience the game? its okay though, GW2 is coming out soon and that .....THAT, is truly a themepark.

Themepark is the best genre, why do you think people play that and not sandbox games?

There is one AAA sandbox, it's called EVE-Online, and it's been around for 9 years or so.

So no, Archeage will not "destroy" it's competition, given that EVE is it's only competitor in the sandbox genre.

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039
    Originally posted by arieste

I am led to believe that the general opinion is that for a game to be successful it have to be no:1.

Whoever is leading you to believe this is an idiot.  Break-free from their influence as soon as you can lest they convince you of all kinds of other stupidity.

Also, you may want to ask this person the following questions and let me know their response:

1.  #1 at what?

2.  Whatever about everything and everyone that isn't #1?

3.  Does this mean that there is only one successful person in the world and the rest of us are all failures?  (since there can only be one #1)

Anyhow, good luck to you and be careful about who you let "lead" you to believe things.

It's a great answer and all, but you did not for a second think that perhaps he is being sarcastic?

He as in being me, if I have to explain that.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by gestalt11

Just letting you know you are playing with fire.

You don't know what a sentence fragment is.  Both have a subject and a verb.  Save your warning for someone whom cares.  I have no fear of GW2 fanboys, not saying you are one of course.

It's hilarious to look at the critical posts from some users here and then you read their very non-critical posts on the GW2 forums.

To that all I have to say is, the emperor has no clothes.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Pelagato

Hey guys, or TSW players... Is it fair to say that TSW is like Galaxies????

I know that TSW doesnt have any levels and such, but the general openworldness and sandboxtry... Are those things present in TSW... or is just a game on rails with a levelless system?

Lol what part of TSW would you consider sandboxy?

I fail to find any

I cannot see the connection between TSW and SWG.

You could have just said that TSW has lots in common with Water Melons, it would have made more sense.......

Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Originally posted by Vunak23

There is one AAA sandbox, it's called EVE-Online, and it's been around for 9 years or so.

So no, Archeage will not "destroy" it's competition, given that EVE is it's only competitor in the sandbox genre.

EVE is an aquired taste. Even it isn't traditional in the sense of Sandbox MMO's. It has been around for 9 years but it wasn't a AAA title to start, and even then its not half as popular as some other games out there. EVE has close to 300k people playin/subscibed to it. In UO's prime it boasted numbers of the same margin.

And who said anything about ArcheAge only toppling EVE? I mean MMORPG's specifically. Its the only MMO coming out that actually is a virtual world akin to older MMO's. The GW2 hype will die out when people get a whiff of territory control, city building, ship building/combat. Sieging... all wrapped in a "class" system that destroys GW2's weapon equip system, and TSW's ability wheel.

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• SarykSaryk Member UncommonPosts: 476

The difference between SWG and TSW are these:
    SWG was a mostly sandbox, TSW is theme parked.
    TSW is more akin to SW:TOR in theme parked
    SWG was good then turned to a pure garbage class game!
    TSW is good and hopefully won’t cave in to the whining cry babies who are saying it is too hard or the PvP is unbalanced! Shouldn’t happen since George Lucas can’t touch it!

EVE is not a AAA MMO, it is an indie MMO which got big because it is original and well executed.

The fact that EVE has more subscribers than most AAA crap released the last 7 years should send a clear message to developers (ideas count more than money).

Unfortunately this is a message big developers fail to receive...........

They prefer to throw millions of dollars on MMO developed by Marketing Directors rather than Game Designers.

Originally posted by ste2000

EVE is not a AAA MMO, it is an indie MMO which got big because it is original and well executed.

The fact that EVE has more subscribers than most AAA crap released the last 7 years should send a clear message to developers (ideas count more than money).

They prefer to throw millions of dollars on MMO developed by Marketing Directors rather than Game Designers.

QFT

• SarykSaryk Member UncommonPosts: 476

QFT!

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

They should try and stop making games for 10 000 000 subscribers and make games. 

The only way to make good music is to make the music you like, the way yo like it, and if other likes it by chance then be grateful for it. If you sell your soul to please others and it doesn't work out then fear the day they comes to cash in.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

So, an MMO can only ever be classed as a AAA game if it starts out as a AAA game ?

Even if it has more quality, originality and subscribers than half the current so-called AAA games on the market ?

When CCP finally launches WoD, are you going to say it's not a AAA game ?

Some people, really... image

So, an MMO can only ever be classed as a AAA game if it starts out as a AAA game ?

Even if it has more quality, originality and subscribers than half the current so-called AAA games on the market ?

When CCP finally launches WoD, are you going to say it's not a AAA game ?

Some people, really... image

Some people what?

For your information a AAA game is a big budget game

SWTOR didn't lose its AAA rating just because no one plays it anymore, it is still a AAA MMO....................a AAA fail, but it is a AAA never than less.

CCP developed EVE in their garage while smoking a joint.................so no, EVE it is not an AAA, but today is bigger than most AAA MMOs

AAA doesn't necessarily equal quality...........

PS: WoD will be an AAA because this time CCP aren't developing it in their garage but in their luxury offices with an investment of Millions of Dollars

They should try and stop making games for 10 000 000 subscribers and make games. 

The only way to make good music is to make the music you like, the way yo like it, and if other likes it by chance then be grateful for it. If you sell your soul to please others and it doesn't work out then fear the day they comes to cash in.

Yes that's exactly what is wrong with developers these days.

They forgot that games are a form of art, like music, literature and movies.

Originality and innovation sell.................boring copycats don't

• PelagatoPelagato Member UncommonPosts: 673

Dont get me wrong but EVE only have around 65K players with an average of 5 accounts each because they are a bunch of elitist snobs... That is what EVE Online is about...

All you do is Autofire and wait for pop... Then wait for skills, wait for crafting, wait for research, wait for fleets, wait if you want to travel, everything is wait wait wait... and by wait... All you do is sit down and watch the TV, the same thing you do when you have to wait in a government building if you want to ask for something...

If I want to wait for something, I better go to the groceries shop, get a few things and wait in line, watching the TV that they have around or just looking outside the window... or just refuel your car and wait for the pump to get all the fuel into your car... See, you can wait outside EVE, so you dont need the game lol...

• AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314
    TSW is to SWTOR is to MMOs as cold beer is to vomit is to liquids.
  • aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Foomerang

its not like swg at all. its not like wow either. is its own thing

^this. and a +1 bonus to Insight rolls as well...

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

PS: WoD will be an AAA because this time CCP aren't developing it in their garage but in their luxury offices with an investment of Millions of Dollars ...while smoking a joint. 

^fixed.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• Rollcage8Rollcage8 Member Posts: 63

TSW is an MMORPG, its neither sandbox or themepark.

MMO because it's an online persistant world where you can play with your friends. Also allows you to meet new players due to the size "massive".

RPG because it has story and character progression systems. 

Sandbox = players get the tools to create content and are free to create and destory each others creations.

Themepark = Lots of rides to take, can't change the world, developers create the content and sell it to you. 

If you were trying to pigeonhole it into a category it's definately themepark, but in reality the game is an MMORPG first and thats what I feel describes it the best. 

EDIT: In reference to Eve online being a sandbox, I'm unsure where this came from, but as far am I'm concerned it's a themepark.

I cannot create docking stations. My ship is my class, freedom to change ships is not a sandbox. Crafting in any game ever made has zero to do with whether the game is sandbox or themepark, typically crafting merely supports the concept of whether the game is sandbox or themepark. *Example in ultima online crafting was used to create the house, but the crafting wasn't the sandbox, the idea that you could make a house was.*

PVP in the world isn't player made content, its merely player conflict. Most themeparks and sandboxes have included this feature. 

Probably the only sandbox coming out is maybe archeage, but even still if the developer makes the content *rides* then immediately that makes it a themepark cause said *rides* have rules and regulations so players can't mess with them. 

• GreyfaceGreyface Member Posts: 390
    Originally posted by Rollcage8

TSW is an MMORPG, its neither sandbox or themepark.

MMO because it's an online persistant world where you can play with your friends. Also allows you to meet new players due to the size "massive".

RPG because it has story and character progression systems. 

Sandbox = players get the tools to create content and are free to create and destory each others creations.

Themepark = Lots of rides to take, can't change the world, developers create the content and sell it to you. 

If you were trying to pigeonhole it into a category it's definately themepark, but in reality the game is an MMORPG first and thats what I feel describes it the best. 

Agreed.

This whole debate arises from the fact that the terms "sandbox" and "themepark" have become hopelessly muddled -- especially in regard to MMOs.  When people call an MMO a "themepark," the implication is that it's an Everquest/WoW/TOR style game.  TSW has very few similarities to those games. 

"Sandbox" is also a problematic term, especially when you look at single-player games that ae labeled as such.  Skyrim is an example of a single-player sandbox, and (IMO) TSW has more in common with Sktrim it than with either WoW or SWTOR.   But in the world of MMOs, "Sandbox" really refers to an online economic sim -- or a big kill-or-be-killed arena (or a combo of the two, like EvE).  TSW isn't that either.

So yeah, TSW is like TSW.  

• vzerovvzerov Member Posts: 125
    Originally posted by Aeolron
    Originally posted by Garvon3
    Originally posted by Foomerang

its not like swg at all. its not like wow either. is its own thing

It's pretty similar to WoW, in many ways. It's a clear cut themepark "MMO". Almost entirely based around linear, solo based quest leveling.

you are dead wrong.

I really wish some people would play the game first instead of making coments like our friend here LOL.

It's not similar to WoW at all, in wow you could solo till end game blah , in TSW good luck, there's alot of missions out there that require groups, even with the best builds you will get owned.

I didn;t find the missions linear at all, the investigation missions , and even the action ones are different in alot of ways, but yeah don't listen to people like Garvon here, he has no idea what the game is about, best advice play it and see.

he is right.

ive played it 2 months in closed beta and i soloed to t10 easily,with the 3 same old btms,and i guess you found the "best build" already?can you tell me what it is?or how do you know we will get owned even with best build if you dont even know what the "best build" is.yes of course there are some quests or mobs desinged for grps,just like in every single mmo,including wow.

the entire game,including quests are linear,nothing more to say.tsw is not like wow,wow "was" actually fun,you dont get tired of it in 1 or 2 months,and its still better than most mmos in the market(including tsw of course),although most people dont want to admit it.