Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No need to buy this game and Ive listed the reasons.

ThebigthrillThebigthrill Member UncommonPosts: 117

1.Hero Engine

That will be all, ty.

"Don't tell me what to do! , you're not my mod"

Saying invented by me.

Comments

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Originally posted by Thebigthrill

1.Hero Engine

That will be all, ty.

I guessed this would be the reason (I win a goldfish?).

But I am very interested in what people think about this Engine. I know it has a bad press amongst players as used in SWTOR and there have been several technical topics related to it's pros and cons... but the counter argument is that it's mostly how the code is written.

In fact I went on the Hero Engine wiki and read up on some of the "Do's and Don't". Tbh, there's never an exact answer, but then the questions asked are invariably too simple for a [definite] response.

So are we building a general consensus on this engine by now and which mmorpgs/games use it? And have there been any major/significant improvements to it since SWTOR?

• ShadowedMareShadowedMare Member Posts: 30

The Hero engine has a lot of bad press but at the same time SWTOR had quite a few coding flaws. TES:O has been in development for 5 years, let's hope they optimized their code. 

The Shadowed Mare - A Tavern North of Caldera and an Elder Scrolls Online Fansite and Forums.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Because, as we know, an engine is exactly the same in every game its used in.

oh wait, its not the same in every game.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

1.Hero Engine

That will be all, ty.

LOL!

It's not using the Hero Engine.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/05/25/why-the-elder-scrolls-online-isn-39-t-using-heroengine.aspx

There are a bazillion others reasons not to buy this game, but that one is invalid.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Entinerint

1.Hero Engine

That will be all, ty.

LOL!

It's not using the Hero Engine.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/05/25/why-the-elder-scrolls-online-isn-39-t-using-heroengine.aspx

There are a bazillion others reasons not to buy this game, but that one is invalid.

The repopulation is using the Hero engine. Teso is not.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

People tend to read one thing and make a general understanding about a game... Try reading just a tiny bit and you'll see TES:O is using Hero Engine for a template...

That means no Hero engine in final game... If you didn't get it.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498
    I have nothing against the hero engine but from what I've read the lore is so butchered that this game should have never seen the light.
    Originally posted by Trionicus
    I have nothing against the hero engine but from what I've read the lore is so butchered that this game should have never seen the light.

How can they butcher lore when the game is set 1000 years before the lore you love oh so much? They worked with Todd Howard and followed all the lore that he gave them. He is the lore master for Elder Scrolls.

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

Obvious Troll post.

15 posts, and the first thing he talks about is something thats been discussed, debunked, and reiterated.

I aready made a similar post months ago, in which i stated the the reason I lost initial intrest with th game was the Hero Engine.

Then is was revealed the Hero engine was only used as a building block. Well building block or not, my initial intrest was still lost, my post still stands, and the game will still be shit.

The Hero engine not being used isnt a saving grace, it just shows that even without the terrible engine (Which they did use for alot of the basic workings of the game as a whiteboard), the game still has no player housing, cookie-cutter quests, graphics that are not within the vein of ES, an A-typical class system, annnnnnnd on top of all that doesnt even stick to the game lore and throws all the players into seperate race-locked factions limiting the freedom of the game even further and disgracing the IP beyond recognition.

Now either close this copy-pasta thread or lets get someone in here that can actually debate with me a reason why,

1. ES fans shouldnt throw every copy of the game into a pile outside walmart and burn them in a glorious flame.

and

2. Why this game STANDS OUT to anyone other than 3-faction PvP (Because we all know 1 extra faction in an MMO makes the game so muce more dynamic!)

Originally posted by jiveturkey12

Obvious Troll post.

15 posts, and the first thing he talks about is something thats been discussed, debunked, and reiterated.

I aready made a similar post months ago, in which i stated the the reason I lost initial intrest with th game was the Hero Engine.

Then is was revealed the Hero engine was only used as a building block. Well building block or not, my initial intrest was still lost, my post still stands, and the game will still be shit.

The Hero engine not being used isnt a saving grace, it just shows that even without the terrible engine (Which they did use for alot of the basic workings of the game as a whiteboard), the game still has no player housing, cookie-cutter quests What is a cookie cutter quest?, graphics that are not within the vein of ES You can't give an MMO great graphics without cutting out taking a hit to gameplay Also ES graphics are geared for consoles I didn't think they were that great, was kinda dissapointed in them, an A-typical class system I don't mind classes it gives my player a role to fill or meaning to do what I do, annnnnnnd on top of all that doesnt even stick to the game lore and throws all the players into seperate race-locked factions limiting the freedom of the game even further and disgracing the IP beyond recognition. How else would you have a 3 faction war without being in a faction?

Now either close this copy-pasta thread or lets get someone in here that can actually debate with me a reason why,

1. ES fans shouldnt throw every copy of the game into a pile outside walmart and burn them in a glorious flame.

and

2. Why this game STANDS OUT to anyone other than 3-faction PvP (Because we all know 1 extra faction in an MMO makes the game so muce more dynamic!)

1. Its not a single player series game. I only have Skyrim and it was digitaly downloaded on Steam so can't burn it. I had Oblivion also was a download though.

2. Exploring the world, Instanced/Public Dungeons, its based on ES, Combat sounds interesting (can't read to far ahead need to see it first but from what they are talking about it sounds good), Sounds like they worked alot on the AI and how they fight back, Questing, Can use any weapon, Fight for your faction in a 3 faction PvP war, waiting to hear about the crafting nothing has really been said yet about it, umm can't think of more off the top of my head but those are enough to keep me interested for now.

Originally posted by Fearum

How can they butcher lore when the game is set 1000 years before the lore you love oh so much? They worked with Todd Howard and followed all the lore that he gave them. He is the lore master for Elder Scrolls.

O now youve done it....you want me to go Super Nerd in this thread dont you? Well you asked for it,

Slavery was commonplace in all of Tamriel up until the Third Era (Which is AFTER ESO mind you), Dunmer (Dark Elves) had slaves of Khajits and Argonians working on their farmlands up until the time when ESO is set.

Slavery wasnt made Illegal until Tiber Septim united all of the know world. BUT EVEN THEN, he allowed Dunmer to hold slaves because they had made a pact with him that it was against their religious freedoms to NOT hold slaves of Argonians.

In ESO, you have the "Ebonheart Pact" which consists of Dunmer, Nords, and wait...wait.. ARGONIANS!

So your telling me that were going to have Argonians fighting along side Dunmer as equals??? Not only does it not fit the Lore because Argonians of that and following eras (Up until Skyrim) were slaves, but ontop of that Dunmer would never realistically fight with them, because they were seen as possessions, like a peiceof furniture.

So lets put this into perspective for you, if they were releasing a game called "Colonial America Online", where They had African Amerians fighting in combat with White Americans, dont you think people wh actually understand American history would be pissed off? Its not that Africans arent Equal to Whites, its that in the setting it would make NO SENSE and completely undermine the idea of Slavery for the timeperiod (Which was such an important issue that we went to civil war about it).

Hopefully this clears things up a bit for people so they can understand ES fans frustration with ESO.

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    OP, game is not releasing using Hero Engine. Your post fails. Please delete as this is common knowledge to anyone who has done 5 minutes of research.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

O now youve done it....you want me to go Super Nerd in this thread dont you? Well you asked for it,

Slavery was commonplace in all of Tamriel up until the Third Era (Which is AFTER ESO mind you), Dunmer (Dark Elves) had slaves of Khajits and Argonians working on their farmlands up until the time when ESO is set.

Slavery wasnt made Illegal until Tiber Septim united all of the know world. BUT EVEN THEN, he allowed Dunmer to hold slaves because they had made a pact with him that it was against their religious freedoms to NOT hold slaves of Argonians.

In ESO, you have the "Ebonheart Pact" which consists of Dunmer, Nords, and wait...wait.. ARGONIANS!

So your telling me that were going to have Argonians fighting along side Dunmer as equals??? Not only does it not fit the Lore because Argonians of that and following eras (Up until Skyrim) were slaves, but ontop of that Dunmer would never realistically fight with them, because they were seen as possessions, like a peiceof furniture.

So lets put this into perspective for you, if they were releasing a game called "Colonial America Online", where They had African Amerians fighting in combat with White Americans, dont you think people wh actually understand American history would be pissed off? Its not that Africans arent Equal to Whites, its that in the setting it would make NO SENSE and completely undermine the idea of Slavery for the timeperiod (Which was such an important issue that we went to civil war about it).

Hopefully this clears things up a bit for people so they can understand ES fans frustration with ESO.

Zenimax Online’s Take:
    “About 50 years prior to the game, an Akaviri invasion came in and basically tried to take over,” says creative director Paul Sage. “What happens now is that the Dunmer and the Nords have formed an alliance because the attack was so bad that they realized they were weak to the Imperial rise. So they form an alliance of convenience with the Argonians. They’re surrounded by all these tides of opposing forces. They feel really threatened, so the Ebonheart’s entire purpose is to band together and make sure they’re no longer in danger.” 

That is the story they are going with, so I guess if your whole existance is threatened, you do what you have to to survive.

• MavekMavek Member Posts: 138

damn y'all got trolled.  Props to op simple and elegant

• MadKingMadKing Member UncommonPosts: 173

I find it really funny how some are already bashing a game that we haven't even seen gameplay for. how about we hold of on all the hate until we see the game in action?

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by MadKing

I find it really funny how some are already bashing a game that we haven't even seen gameplay for. how about we hold of on all the hate until we see the game in action?

Mainly because for some of us, years of exeperience leads to accurate forecasts of a games longevity. Personally, i consider myself pretty damn accurate with my predictions of an MMOs fate. That being said, at this point it is still early to tell how this game will turn out, but based on information we know so far people are very reserved about hyping this game and that's a good thing.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

To the OP,

That reason is the same as saying the game has a green cover, dont play it.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ElSandmanElSandman Member Posts: 94

You do realise that SWTOR took an early release of the Hero Engine and customised it hugely for their product, right?  And, that TESO while using the Hero engine as a basic building block is also customising it hugely, though presumably in different ways than BW did.

The quality of the finished product in these cases is far more a product of the development team than necessarily a failing or otherwise of the core engine.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Actually, black Americans did fight alongside white Americans during the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, and the Civil War. Furthermore, the Civil War wasn't about slavery, it was about states' rights (really irks me when people get that wrong).

The point? An alliance of convenience isn't as far fetched as you make it out to be. Don't get me wrong, I still think the game will end up a steaming pile of dung for about 50 other reasons, but screwing up the lore isn't one of them. So far that I've seen anyway.

• StormsoneStormsone Member UncommonPosts: 83

....not saying your wrong about your elder scrolls history but your real world history is far off. African Americans did fight in both the revolutionary war and the civil war. They may not have been seen as equals but some did fight with the colonials against the british(in exchange for an offer of  freedom). So if in the game if  argonians fight alongside the Dunmer it would not be odd if say the Dunmer offered freedom to any that fought for 2 years. Its been pretty common after all in history for slaves to be forced to fight alongside their masters.

Originally posted by Rednecksith

Actually, black Americans did fight alongside white Americans during the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, and the Civil War. Furthermore, the Civil War wasn't about slavery, it was about states' rights (really irks me when people get that wrong).

The point? An alliance of convenience isn't as far fetched as you make it out to be. Don't get me wrong, I still think the game will end up a steaming pile of dung for about 50 other reasons, but screwing up the lore isn't one of them. So far that I've seen anyway.

Your 100% right, black Americans did fight alongside White americans...because they were forced to! If you were making a ColonialAmerican MMO, how would you explain a Black Character going into a vendor shop to buy goods, weapons, clothing, food, etc?? You couldnt because they wernt allowed inside of most, let alone to trade with the "White Man" like they were equals. It still wouldnt make any sense with the time, yes you could have them fighting side by side, but they wouldnt be independant, they would still have to answer to a white man at the end of the day, just like if you had Dark Elves with Argonians.

The Point is the Argonians would not, and have never before this game being made ever be allied with the Dark Elves, so obviously they are just making things up to save face because they want theRaces to be based off Geographical location rather than lore.

If anything having Argonians with Khajits and Wood Elves would have made more Sense. But Then they wouldnt be able to cut corners and have everyone start off in the same corner of the map and OOOOO it woukld get too confusing with all those choices.

Sorry but im in full disagreement with you, they are butchering the lore to fit THEIR style of ES game rather than what the players want.