Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is PVP like in this game?

Right now I play Tera because I'm excited about the PVP mechanics, but they still have not delivered any battlegrounds in the game, and well. To make a long story short, PVP is 95% of why I play MMOs. Whats it like in this game? Should I switch? What is PVP like?  m 

Comments

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

My experience with it was in beta. Although I don't get the sense it has changed much in release.

They have 2 small 10v10v10 battlegrounds and 1 big ass map were I think 100v100v100 can get in. As you might notice its 3 faction combat. Unfortunately I did not like the pvp much, it honestly feels tacked on into a pve game. 

PvP in TSW is very gear based and if you happen to be in a match with everyone close to the same gear it becomes a build game. Not really a game of balance but of hard counters(which is expected with that many skills), some folk love this. If you happen to like that then this might be for you.

Fusang can be fun but its not really that compelling and can get boring fast. There is alot of theorycrafting, but you will never have a build that will be able to handle every situation. Most likely it will be good for a handful. Yet my biggest gripe with it is the importance of gear. Before anyone jumps on me, I know that once you get high tier gear it evens out but it limits when you can really start pvping. You can expect to see one shot or two shot kills in the pvp also, which is a clear sign of no balance.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

What kind of pvp do you enjoy, and combat system for that matter?

IMHO, i like TSW and potential for great pvp is there, but they need to improve Fusang and ad alot more WZ, and interconnect them.

As always, i keep saying, if you want good large scale pvp, Planetside 2 is the only good one, as long as it delievers.

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299

IMO the pvp is just like any other game.

Most games on pvp servers theres is no open world pvp anyway...so the fact that theres no open world pvp in TSW doesnt seem to matter.

Standard battlegrounds, a massive working persistant pvp map with server wide buffs.

PVP is actually pretty fun, you never know what the other guy is as far as what skills or what type of character he is...and your able to quickly change your skills in case whatever you had wasnt working.

Definately not a game built around pvp however, and if you dont like pve you would miss out on the best part of TSW.

There are people who camp nothing but pvp like in all games, just not 90% of the population like what happend in rift and SWTOR.

No classes is a huge plus in pvp imo, no OP class and skills are vaired enough to where there isnt one build that dominates the pvp scene.

The battleground mechanics are nothing special though.

I found the pvp to be fun but i dont feel the need to constantly queue for pvp in order to keep up..despite you get tokens for gear by pvping.  I guess you could avoid pve and just pvp you way through the game, you would be decked in nice purple gear from tokens and i dont think you would be "behind" on your build since you get decent XP...its just i dont think many people choose to ignore the pve in this game, its actually good.

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520

PvP is sub-par IMO. The combat has a very low skill cap, and the only layer of complexity comes from putting together the build/synergies. It's also very unbalanced, I've put together builds that can one-shot players, builds that let me take on 2-3 players at the same time and survive, etc. Of course, I suspect once people start catching on a lot of these overpowered builds will become the cookie-cutter standards and things will be more balanced since a lot more players will be using them. 

The PvP zones aren't very good either. Fusang is basically a slightly improved version of Ilum which doesn't say much. You have 3 zergs running around avoiding each other and trading facilities most of the time. The lag is still there too. The only redeeming factor is that avoiding the zerg train then becomes a mini-game of itself.

The battlefields Stonehenge and Eldorado are okay, and probably the best PvP you'll find in TSW. Unfortunately the queue times for these mini-games are ridiculously long. I looked at the stats in-game right now and there have been a total of 2 Eldorado games in the last hour. That's right. Expect 40 min+ queue times if you want to PvP there. Many people have reported queueing for hours without a single match. My personal record is 4 hours. Also you cannot queue for Stonehenge/Eldorado PvP from Fusang, so if you want to PvP you'll have to subject yourself to the Fusang zerg/lagfest (Cerberus at least), or sit with your thumbs up your !@# until god decides to grace you with a battlefield match.

So yeah, stay far away from TSW if you're looking for PvP. It's there, but it's certainly not the main attraction of this game.

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

It grows on you.

Fusang  is fun but its a numbers name. The more "blob" you have running around the better your chances.

:D

Game needs some sort of open world pvp areas where you can gain XP/kill mobs and pvp. Like in Rift or something. That provides more dynamics. Easy to add, hopefully they will add something like it in an expansion.

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• RhowinRhowin Member Posts: 36

If PVP is your focus I'd give the game some more time to grow in that area - like the others stated here I think it has a lot of potential: it can handle many players without horrible lags or fps, the fact that you don't have classes and rather built your own + create synergies with the builds of your co-players + 3 factions pvp are solid foundations. And if you don't care for pve at all you can even 'efficiently' advance ('level') your charater with pvp - yet the pvp part of the game feels currently a bit bland imho.

However if one of your main reasons for focusing so much on pvp was the fact that pve was usually very repetitive give TSW a try. Some people who loved the concepts behind TSW simple didn't get sucked in and others who expected wouldn't enjoy the game at all fell in love with it.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

PvP is a zergfest.

Swords, Swords, Swords everywhere.

Add in a few Red Mists and a couple of Thor's Hammer and you've got most of it.

KInd of boring after a couple of hours. (Boring in the sense that a couple of hours sums it up and no need to go back)

• LachyFTWLachyFTW Member UncommonPosts: 181
    Originally posted by Poolman2000

Right now I play Tera because I'm excited about the PVP mechanics, but they still have not delivered any battlegrounds in the game, and well. To make a long story short, PVP is 95% of why I play MMOs. Whats it like in this game? Should I switch? What is PVP like?  m 

If PVP is that important to you stay as far away from TSW as possible, it's a zergfest and tbh it sucks.

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

While i did not purchase TSW (I am giving it a month or two as i avoid launches), i have been following it, and it was never said to be a pvp-centric game. 

I would not expect any decent PvP in TSW right now.

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• SarykSaryk Member UncommonPosts: 476

PvP ok. PvE is good. If you are in to PvP only, don't get, wait until the game is out for awhile.

• Poolman2000Poolman2000 Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

IMHO, i like TSW and potential for great pvp is there, but they need to improve Fusang and ad alot more WZ, and interconnect them.

As always, i keep saying, if you want good large scale pvp, Planetside 2 is the only good one, as long as it delievers.

I’m a little old school when it comes to pvp. I like open world pvp with somewhat harsh death penalties. To me Asherons Call had/has the best open world pvp to this date. I also like Arena play, rankings, pvp rewards as such are in WOW. Was something about rift that I liked, maybe is the fact that you could pvp grind in that game, and had some nice achievements you could obtain, but the pvp grind in that game is best to date in my book. I could pvp grind in rift for hours on end and still get that heart pumping excitement from that game. Absolutely love Tera targeting system, is the perfect direction to go in as far as any pvp mmo goes, they broke ground there, problem is that they don’t know what to do with it. As far as open pvp goes, I like true open world pvp, anything goes, anyplace at anytime with harsh death penalties. Gives people a means to band together and police things, and its always edgy, exciting and challenging… kind of stuff never gets old to me.

Maybe this game here is not for me... I wish some hardcore well designed pvp game would come out soon. Seems like its been a while now(sighs). You know?   

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    Not a fan of fusang but minies are awesome. Especially El Dorado. It has so much potential for rated premade battles

I’m a little old school when it comes to pvp. I like open world pvp with somewhat harsh death penalties. To me Asherons Call had/has the best open world pvp to this date. I also like Arena play, rankings, pvp rewards as such are in WOW. Was something about rift that I liked, maybe is the fact that you could pvp grind in that game, and had some nice achievements you could obtain, but the pvp grind in that game is best to date in my book. I could pvp grind in rift for hours on end and still get that heart pumping excitement from that game. Absolutely love Tera targeting system, is the perfect direction to go in as far as any pvp mmo goes, they broke ground there, problem is that they don’t know what to do with it. As far as open pvp goes, I like true open world pvp, anything goes, anyplace at anytime with harsh death penalties. Gives people a means to band together and police things, and its always edgy, exciting and challenging… kind of stuff never gets old to me.

Maybe this game here is not for me... I wish some hardcore well designed pvp game would come out soon. Seems like its been a while now(sighs). You know?   

If you liek harsh, deathly and hardcore open world pvp, my friend, try Darkfall or Mortal Online. It's aim based, sandbox and rutheless. But with that comes a more negative community. Your choice.

For arena/bg type i recomend GW2. For large scal, i still say PS2 (all the rest TP's with 90% PVE are BG's increased in size to be bigger). It's an FPS and going to be huge. If you like sandboxes, Archeage and The Repopulation, which will be released maybe next year. Not 100% how Repop worksm but AA is FFA PVP. Also, nto 100% sure on safe areas, but doesn't seem to have them as much.

But still, Darkfall is probably your best option.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

GW2 and PS2 are the closest to what you are asking for.

• TerronteTerronte Member Posts: 321

PvP can be fun, but the base mechanics of things like Fusang make it a bad long term bet. Fusang specifically is still lag prone and crashes every once in awhile.  By the way its 75 v 75 v 75.

If PvP is your thing...BGs..really? As opposed to open world Gvg and general PVP?

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

pvp in this game is zergy with multiple objectives. Reminds me of AV pugs in WoW. I like it. But I'm not a hardcore pvper. I think if you're looking for a pvp centric mmo, this is not it. If you're up for some casual zergs, this is a good fit.

• piithpiith Member Posts: 95

I don't care much for PvP in RP games, but do  see what they are like, so my View is more from a PvE player perspective.

(When I want to PvP I play FPS games)

my Impression is, it's justa  CTF eviroment , So what everyone has said so far is True, it's mainly just a Zerg tactic.

when you enter you recieve a Buff, Basically it  makes everyone even in HP. Builds like mentioned  earlier will be the most important, you'll want those synergies , you can enter not long after creation so you can be just Rank 1 playing against rank 4 or 10.

If PvP is your main reason for playing, I have to agree with the rest (even if my experince is a lot less), TSW is not a PVP game, more  set up for role playing PvP, So TSW is not for you if you want to PvP, That could change  later, but as right now, it's not for PvP'ers

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

I enjoyed it at first, but now that a decent percentage of the population seems to have beaten most of the game already and has good gear (after ten days lol), I don't enjoy getting two-three shot. 

To put it bluntly, it's just like every other game recently.  Join a queue, run around in the blob, try not to get destroyed by range dps, get your tokens, and then leave.  At least for Fusang.  There is no real objective except to do the missions.  Maybe the dimension-wide buffs matter?  Also, now that I am a bit further in the game, the missions don't give anything for XP/AP.  So while it seemed like an ok avenue to level at first, it's only good for farming tokens now. 

I don't have much experience with the other pvp areas, but I imagine that it's similar, all gear-based.  Pretty boring if you ask me.  I am sure some uber pvp pwnzors are running around destroying everything in their starter gear, but I have not faired well with my gl 8-10 green/blue gear. 

IMHO, not a game you start up for PvP.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Kuppa

GW2 and PS2 are the closest to what you are asking for.

are you joking? gw2 has no open world pvp. and can you advise me of the death penalty? i'm not saying it won't be good, but it's not open world. more like a big 2 week battleground. 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Praetalus

are you joking? gw2 has no open world pvp. and can you advise me of the death penalty? i'm not saying it won't be good, but it's not open world. more like a big 2 week battleground. 

I don't think he was about GW2. There's a big difference between a "BG" and the massive zones with defensible and upgradeable positions GW2 has. "BG" is a more appropriate description of Fusang in TSW since the objectives are easy to flip just like in most WOW BGs. It's a huge zone, not quite as big as the GW2 WvW area but without keeps, etc. it's closer to WOW than DAOC...GW2 is the other way around.

And as to "open world" PvP.. most old DAOC players consider the multiple gigantic PVP zones there open world enough to suit us. As a matter of fact DAoC had some free-for-all PVP servers where you could fight anyone anywhere and they were a mess and not very popular.

Segregating PvE and PvP the way GW2 does it is, imho, the very best MMO design. It still gives you a large seamless "open world" to PvP but there aren't any basement-dwelling PvP trolls repeatedly ganking lowbees... works for me.

Btw, in case you missed it, Funcom announced an upcoming PvP dungeon...like the good ole Darkness Falls coming soon.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• tarestares Member Posts: 381

Tera is probably the best world PvP, the only penalty is like 15 minutes corpse runs and broken enchants or a kill when GvG.  The biggest risk vs reward now in ranked PvP where you have your team and try to beat the other team.  Has been hype for a while as getting to the top is hard and you don't have to grind, just play a set number of matches and play better than your opposition.

Dayz has permadeath so can be fun.

TSW has tacked on combat then went ahead and tacked on PvP just before release.

Originally posted by Iselin

I don't think he was about GW2. There's a big difference between a "BG" and the massive zones with defensible and upgradeable positions GW2 has. "BG" is a more appropriate description of Fusang in TSW since the objectives are easy to flip just like in most WOW BGs. It's a huge zone, not quite as big as the GW2 WvW area but without keeps, etc. it's closer to WOW than DAOC...GW2 is the other way around.

And as to "open world" PvP.. most old DAOC players consider the multiple gigantic PVP zones there open world enough to suit us. As a matter of fact DAoC had some free-for-all PVP servers where you could fight anyone anywhere and they were a mess and not very popular.

Segregating PvE and PvP the way GW2 does it is, imho, the very best MMO design. It still gives you a large seamless "open world" to PvP but there aren't any basement-dwelling PvP trolls repeatedly ganking lowbees... works for me.

Btw, in case you missed it, Funcom announced an upcoming PvP dungeon...like the good ole Darkness Falls coming soon.

Everyone as the right to their opinion of course. But, i can't recomend WVW as open world pvp or large scale because it's everything but that IMO. it's way to small and inclosed. While i do agree that rvr type zones are great, it think GW2's version isn't great enough.

Don't get wrong, it's still way better than Fusang IMO, but it's not a "gigantic, open world zones". So, i can't say it's good "large" scale pvp. it's more medium scale.

Also, like Tares said, OP, you should also try DayZ. While not an mmorpg, it is ruthless owpvp.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

you gotta understand the mentality of open world pvp on this site , its not open world pvp if they cant camp lowbies trying to level or have some sort of advantage. DAOC did have open world pvp period regardless of the few hardcores here on this site. It was an open ended large landmass where large scale pvp could happen at anytime if you were in the zone. These guys just like to say its not open world as they cant camp people and farm lowbies for lols. guild wars 2 has open world pvp in the world vs world zones you can go there any level and pvp which is the same as pvp in any game . sorry pvpers that like to force pvp on people leveling these games are not catered to you.

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299
    Originally posted by cronius77

you gotta understand the mentality of open world pvp on this site , its not open world pvp if they cant camp lowbies trying to level or have some sort of advantage. DAOC did have open world pvp period regardless of the few hardcores here on this site. It was an open ended large landmass where large scale pvp could happen at anytime if you were in the zone. These guys just like to say its not open world as they cant camp people and farm lowbies for lols. guild wars 2 has open world pvp in the world vs world zones you can go there any level and pvp which is the same as pvp in any game . sorry pvpers that like to force pvp on people leveling these games are not catered to you.

Yet in both rift and swtor the pvp servers had no pvp at all in the open world, just ganking noobs isnt enough they need special rewards or everyone just sits in town queueing.

People wont waste time doing open world pvp anymore, especially when you can queue and get rewards.

I would like to see a cabal war mechanic involving a week of FFA pvp between the fighting cabals and a seige at the end.