Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Character slots and appearances

TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless ColumnistM, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

This info might not be out yet but....

How many character slots do we have at launch? How much (in dollars) is an additional one? How many additions are we allowed?

Is there an appearance tab option? I have seen a lot of clothing and armor options for customization and was wondering about the tab. How much do these outfits cost (dollars)?

Comments

• seridanseridan ThessalonikiPosts: 1,202Member Uncommon

In the BWEs there are 5 character slots.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gem_Store

Character slot expansions cost 800 gems

Go to the "style" part to see the individual cost (in gems) for each outfit

No idea how much those GEMS are in dollars.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless Columnist M, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

5, well thats cool. I really want to play a little of everything so I just wanted to make sure I didn't start with 1 and have to buy a pile.

• terrantterrant Virginia Beach, VAPosts: 1,683Member

If I remember the numbers right, a character slot works out to about US $10. Also remember you can buy gems with with coin you earned in game through the auction house, so it's possible to never need to pay for a char slot. How much coin gems are worth will depend on how server economies work, so it's hard to judge. 

EDIT: Did more research, corrected the price of gems.

• VagabondLifeVagabondLife Grand Junction, COPosts: 91Member
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

This info might not be out yet but....

How many character slots do we have at launch? How much (in dollars) is an additional one? How many additions are we allowed?

Is there an appearance tab option? I have seen a lot of clothing and armor options for customization and was wondering about the tab. How much do these outfits cost (dollars)?

You start out with a set of "town clothes" which you can toggle when out of combat. The gem store has costume items you can buy such as a pirates outfit, etc. There may be other ones, but I don't know for sure.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gem_Store

These have no stats and if you take damage while in them, you will auto toggle to combat armor.

• ZenonSethZenonSeth Tempe, CAPosts: 128Member

5, well thats cool. I really want to play a little of everything so I just wanted to make sure I didn't start with 1 and have to buy a pile.

GW2 isn't a free-to-play game where they make their profit entirely from the cash shop. They have an upfront price for the game, which should cover a good portion of expences, and they also plan on releasing expansions, also at a one-time cost.

What this means is that unlike free-to-play games, they won't hide important features behind the cash shop. I think a certain number of people have misinterpreted the cash shop in this game. The game will be fully playable and enjoyable without any purcahse from it (I'm personally not planning to spend any money in it).

As for trying out every profession - you get 5 slots, there are 8 professions. I'm sure that not every single one will fit your playstyle. The ones that don't - just sell all your gear, dump the gold in the account-wide bank, and try another profession.

• friednietzfriednietz The Study, NYPosts: 118Member

I'm guessing 5 characters slots on release as well. Additional slots cost $10 (800 gems).

Originally posted by friednietz

I'm guessing 5 characters slots on release as well. Additional slots cost $10 (800 gems).

Any link with the price of the gems? I'm curious to find out the exact exchange rate

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• terrantterrant Virginia Beach, VAPosts: 1,683Member
    Originally posted by seridan

Any link with the price of the gems? I'm curious to find out the exact exchange rate

Still looking for an official link (I know I saw one...) but it's 4.99 for 400 gems. So a char slot costs about $10.

• friednietzfriednietz The Study, NYPosts: 118Member
    Originally posted by terrant
    Originally posted by seridan

Still looking for an official link (I know I saw one...) but it's 4.99 for 400 gems. So a char slot costs about $10.

Not an official link (and valued in Euros) but reflects pretty much the U.S. rate:

http://i.imgur.com/w07O2.png

• Appearance

1.  There is a town clothes option as someone else mentioned - my understanding is that items for that slot are all bought with gems.

2.  There are some kind of stones (brain just drew a complete blank on their name) that allow you to take the stats from an item and combine them with the looks of the same type of item.  The stones are available in the world and the gem shop - I know I've gotten several during BWEs.

• TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless Columnist M, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Delvie
    Appearance 1.  There is a town clothes option as someone else mentioned - my understanding is that items for that slot are all bought with gems.2.  There are some kind of stones (brain just drew a complete blank on their name) that allow you to take the stats from an item and combine them with the looks of the same type of item.  The stones are available in the world and the gem shop - I know I've gotten several during BWEs.

More and more impressed with GW 2 (it fell off my radar for a while). I even read they plan on having housing and guild halls eventually. I'll be reserving soon.

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Lafayette, LAPosts: 863Member

Gems are the same price as MS Points. Not sure why they chose to do that, but they did.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita montreal, QCPosts: 500Member
    Originally posted by ZenonSeth

What this means is that unlike free-to-play games, they won't hide important features behind the cash shop. I think a certain number of people have misinterpreted the cash shop in this game. The game will be fully playable and enjoyable without any purcahse from it (I'm personally not planning to spend any money in it).

Personally I am planning to buy anything all the account perks, and after that I will set myself a limit(about what I would pay for a sub) that I can roll forward to the next month to spend on the cash shop.

I will most definitely be spending money in the cash shop, if only to show my support for the game and the company.

• QuenchsterQuenchster Monroe, MIPosts: 450Member

Appearance

1.  There is a town clothes option as someone else mentioned - my understanding is that items for that slot are all bought with gems.

2.  There are some kind of stones (brain just drew a complete blank on their name) that allow you to take the stats from an item and combine them with the looks of the same type of item.  The stones are available in the world and the gem shop - I know I've gotten several during BWEs.

More and more impressed with GW 2 (it fell off my radar for a while). I even read they plan on having housing and guild halls eventually. I'll be reserving soon.

There is also an armor dye window. 2 to 3 colors can be assigned per armor. Colors are obtained through random drops, the cash shop, and I heard they might let us mix different colors at the Mystic Forge to aim for specific colors.

And to make sure you like a class before you commit to it, try testing out the class inside the Mists. At level 2 you should unlock the ability to enter the Mists through the PvP tab. Once you are in the Mists you can try out any weapon that your class can use for free by going to the basic weapon vendor and you can select any trait or spell you want. Because you can test a character like if it were level 80 at level 2, it should be a little bit easier choosing 5 different classes you want.

Appearance

Also the devs are creating a "preview" window so you can preview the armor before binding it to yourself, it might work on town clothing so you know how it looks before buying

• ZenonSethZenonSeth Tempe, CAPosts: 128Member
    Originally posted by Mors-Subita
    <snip>

Personally I am planning to buy anything all the account perks, and after that I will set myself a limit(about what I would pay for a sub) that I can roll forward to the next month to spend on the cash shop.

I will most definitely be spending money in the cash shop, if only to show my support for the game and the company.

That's great, to each his own. I'm most likely going to buy any expansions or new campaigns that are released, and I'm hoping that Anet is planning out/has planned out their budget so that people buying their game + expansions would be enough to keep the game afloat. 

I'm guessing they have done this, because in the original GW, the shop wasn't in game, and only in the last few years did they start making it more like a traditional cash shop. Meaning, the original GW was planned to be supported by game+expansions alone.

Though as someone already said, you'll be able to trade gold for gems, so hopefully if you need an extra char slot or something small, you can pay for it with in-game gold.

Originally posted by ZenonSeth
    Originally posted by Mors-Subita

That's great, to each his own. I'm most likely going to buy any expansions or new campaigns that are released, and I'm hoping that Anet is planning out/has planned out their budget so that people buying their game + expansions would be enough to keep the game afloat. 

I'm guessing they have done this, because in the original GW, the shop wasn't in game, and only in the last few years did they start making it more like a traditional cash shop. Meaning, the original GW was planned to be supported by game+expansions alone.

Though as someone already said, you'll be able to trade gold for gems, so hopefully if you need an extra char slot or something small, you can pay for it with in-game gold.

That's the beauty of B2P everyone must pay for the game+expansions (so there is enough money to keep the game running) and then not pay anything else, while some others can pay some more IF they want.

• lilHealalilHeala ZwollePosts: 513Member Uncommon

Originally posted by terrant How much coin gems are worth will depend on how server economies work, so it's hard to judge.   

The trade post isn't restricted to server but is global across all servers (I guess it's restricted to datacenter though so separate NA / EU markets).
    Furthermore you can't put gems up for a price you set yourself, it's balanced based on supply/demand across all servers, much like how the traders in GW1 work. So you don't auction them, you just sell or buy at a fixed rate (until it's rebalanced due to changes in supply and/or demand).

• Xin1Xin1 AntwerpPosts: 34Member

They haven't confirmed how many slots will be in the game at launch.

Official tweet about it;  https://twitter.com/GuildWars2/status/222459563679551490

• alkrmralkrmr warminster, PAPosts: 237Member Common

during the BWE's i grabbed an extra char slot using all gold, and still it didn't leave me broke, so it's very easy to buy the cash shop stuff without using cash

• c-motc-mot FrankfurtPosts: 49Member Uncommon

another nice feature is that when you set the colours on an armor item (upto 3 different colours per item) and replace it with a new item, the newly equiped item will take over the color scheme of the old item.

you start with a set of basic colours to choose from and will will find items that will give you new possible colours as loot and quest rewards.