Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bad news coming from Korea

Comments

• Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297
    Lol
    My best wishes for your recovery. There is light at the end of that tunnel. It's called hope. Have faith, with positive thinking things CAN change.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by otacu
    Originally posted by Gorelik What is the point in this post ? Every MMO ever released have a drop in subscription along the time. So what ? Why nor post the same details of all other mmos also, so we could compare. Then should be something.  
    Hello? From 37 to 4 servers....

That's a 90% drop.

Feel free to compare to other mmorpgs

Comparing to other MMORPG wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. We don't know how many people are on the servers. We don't even know if the limits on the servers are static, or if they're gradually increasing or decreasing over time for performance management. We only know the number of servers, not the number of players.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428
    Originally posted by Reas43
    An interesting thing about this websites forums is the unnatural divide between those who obsess week after week and months after months on things the hate instead of obsessing on things they like. I can only imagine the internal turmoil, the barely held back internal agitation. It could be a mechanic of release from frustrations brought about by a tormented personal life by lashing out. But that's just a working theory.

Bottom line is: wouldn't it feel better to focus on things you enjoy with like minded people or obsess on things you dislike, with that welling sensation of unwellness stewing the innards?

Fascinating.

Because in their head they picturing some funny looking guy going in rage mode. Idk why you can't just imagine it but it seem they need to post to boost their brain enough to imagine.

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Gorelik What is the point in this post ? Every MMO ever released have a drop in subscription along the time. So what ? Why nor post the same details of all other mmos also, so we could compare. Then should be something.  
    Hello? From 37 to 4 servers....

That's a 90% drop.

Feel free to compare to other mmorpgs

Comparing to other MMORPG wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. We don't know how many people are on the servers. We don't even know if the limits on the servers are static, or if they're gradually increasing or decreasing over time for performance management. We only know the number of servers, not the number of players.

Hello Lizardbones!

Originally posted by hopenottaken

http://www.gametrics.com/news/News02_View.aspx?seqid=8040

April = 134,717
    May = 92,580
    June 1st week = 67,931
    June 2nd week = 63,099
    June 3rd week = 49,664 (-21.29%)
    June 4th week = 41,163 (-17.12%)

This game is just sad.

Reality check is needed.

Let the fanboy googles go and just face the simple fact: Tera is nosediving.

Diablo 3 first and then Blade and Soul now are killing it.

Since launch it lost 90% of its servers more than 90% of its players and today they are starting an experimental F2P server in Korea.

• PostcardsPostcards Member Posts: 105

ArcheAge will be another kick in the nuts too

I think that game will also slap Blade and Soul around as well

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402
    Originally posted by Kumapon

Over the past 2 months K-Tera has been in a massive nosedive in subs.

http://gametrics.com/news/News02_View.aspx?seqid=8023

http://www.gametrics.com/news/News02_View.aspx?seqid=7047

April 2012 = 134,717
    May 2012 = 92,580 -31.3% decrease

Now that Blade and Soul is in Open Beta the numbers have just fallen off the map.

April = 134,717
    May = 92,580
    June 1st week = 67,931
    June 2nd week = 63,099

http://tera.hangame.com/news/notice.nhn?bbsid=942&docid=4652235

Because of the massive losses, BHS has announced that starting on June 28th there will be server merges across the board. All 13 servers will be affected.
    *BHS hasn't given exact details at this time, but it looks like it's gonna be big.

BHS has also announced that they will be opening up a Free to Play server starting on July 4th. The lvl cap will be lvl 50 only. BHS has stated that this is only an test, so the server will only be up for 4 weeks, ending on July 26 th. This Free to play server will have different rules and items.
    *My guess is they are trying to see if Tera can work as a FTP game.

Lastly the QOA part 2 patch that was suppose to come out at the end of summer will now get pushed ahead and will release on July 4th in K-TERA.
    *Actually this is good news if your a Tera fan, but I worry that this is a desperate move to save the game, and the patch might be buggy.

I like Tera but things are not looking good right now...:(

Will Tera make it into 2013 ? Will it be FTP by then ?

not really a new news ,already see that coming the game is almost 2 year in KOR .

the same thing will hapen soon in NA like all KOR games and  soon going f2p

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Honestly I could care less on whats happening in Koreas gaming scene since I don't live or play games there, It's a whole other market of gamers in that part of the world. 

If I lived in Korea, most likely I I would still be playing Lineage 2, Guild Wars and Maplestory.

However I grew up on UO, AO, EQ and DAoC not Nexus, Lineage or Mir 2.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

Tera is f2p silly gooses!!!!!

I've stacked 6 months of chronoscrolls on my account so far. Easiest game time ive ever earned. :D

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

Over in the EU, Tera doesn't need other games to lessen it's population..... We have Frogster, who I am now convinced have been employed by competitors to ruin this game.

I'd heard bad things about Frogster before giving Tera a go, but thought it was the usual forum bashing. Blimey, I should have listenened harder.

Purely terrible in any form of player and game support. Tera's lack of end game would hinder it at the best of times, but burdened with this EU publisher has seen a dramatic fall off in player numbers over here.

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

Originally posted by Siveria

Originally posted by HeroEvermore This has nothing to do with US Tera. Your speculations are incorrect.
    Actually it does, US tera content comes from translated Kr Tera content, KR tera goes bellyup, the Us one will be soon to follow due to lack of updates.

unless blue hole studios contract 100's of game developers to update the game with gameplay and content, but i think we all know what will happens....
  • hopenottakenhopenottaken Member Posts: 38

Numbers for last week.

April = 134,717
    May = 92,580
    June 1st week = 67,931
    June 2nd week = 63,099
    July 1st week = 46,792 (+13.67%)

F2P server, content update, servers merged, rewards just for logging daily, free game time for ex-players and etc.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

I really wouldnt worry about whats happening in Korea. Lots of Korean MMO's do horribly in the western market and vise versa.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926
    Originally posted by pedrostrik

Originally posted by Siveria

Originally posted by HeroEvermore This has nothing to do with US Tera. Your speculations are incorrect.
    Actually it does, US tera content comes from translated Kr Tera content, KR tera goes bellyup, the Us one will be soon to follow due to lack of updates.

unless blue hole studios contract 100's of game developers to update the game with gameplay and content, but i think we all know what will happens....

It all depends on how the game is doing. KTera could easily keep content going for the western market if its making them money. Just because they stop with the Korean servers doesnt mean the US version would stop. Its likely it would since I dont think Tera is doing all so hot here but if it IS making lots of money they wont stop producing content.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by xenogias

I really wouldnt worry about whats happening in Korea. Lots of Korean MMO's do horribly in the western market and vise versa.

Yeah, but if K-Tera falls the rest goes with it.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

Originally posted by xenogias

You should worry since Korea is the main market for a korean game.

And korean mmo may do well in Korea and horribly in the western market.... but it's never viceversa. Name a korean mmo that did horribly in Korea and well in the western makert. 

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    Originally posted by hopenottaken

Numbers for last week.

April = 134,717
    May = 92,580
    June 1st week = 67,931
    June 2nd week = 63,099
    July 1st week = 46,792 (+13.67%)

F2P server, content update, servers merged, rewards just for logging daily, free game time for ex-players and etc.

Yeah Japan is also doing something very similar.

Rewards given out just by logging in:

http://tera.hangame.co.jp/static/event/120704_present/index.nhn

An invite a friend campaign:

NOTE: For the following link you need to be behind a proxy or copy/paste the link in Google and use the cache option so you don't get the IP Country Validation Failed message. Most of the NHN TERA links are not viewable outside of Japan.

http://tera.hangame.co.jp/event/201206/invite/index.nhn

Invite friends and give them the following benefits:

Invite a friend
    Send an invitation
    Contents of benefits

Can learn the skills to summon the Zebra Mount with 280 movement speed
         Not/trade available over Lv60
         Non-warehouse storage/warehousing non-guild

The provision of goods from the Valkyion Fedaration. Prevent the destruction of the Crystal
         Spellbook (duration 12 hours). "Protection of the bright crystal form"
         Invoked as the top effect. The effect continues even after death.

The provision of goods from the Valkyion Fedaration. All
         Us to initialize the cool time for an instanced dungeon.

100% recovery HP.

100% recovery MP.

Immediate recovery to 50% of total HP.

Gift exchange tickets are distributed to the entire continent to commemorate the festival of selenium.
         Was produced in the workshop by an unexpected mysterious sorceress Popori
         Can be exchanged with the best equipment.

Gift exchange tickets are distributed to the entire continent to commemorate the festival of selenium.
         Provided by Shana Erin the highest Sorcerer
         Equipment and can be exchanged.

Equipment and can be exchanged by legendary Erin blacksmith.

3 hours: 2-fold (2X) increase in the value of hunting experience acquired.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

But but but TERA is the best game EVAR! It doesn't need interesting questing, or something to do at level cap, or diverse gameplay, I just need to be able to slash things in funnish ways with my toon's ass is the camera, amirite?!

The signs have been there for the longest time, and don't think it's not happening in the US either. There's a bunch of incentive programs they've been running here, free trials, invite a friend, and they're talking about a trial server as well last I read. In all that, I've yet to see them publish numbers. Probably a good reason for that.

I was actually really looking forward to TERA at one point, I intended it to be my "sub" game, but damn it's boring. Not for everyone, obviously, but then there are some people that found grinding a character to 999,999 (or whatever it was) in Disgaea to be "fun". It's not really about what a handful of people are content with, but whether the game offers enough to be long-standing for a large variety of players necessary to support it. TERA never was, and now you're seeing the consequences of that.

One can only hope these dev teams will start focusing just a little less on graphics and more on gameplay. 

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

A lot of this probably had to do with the whole "a lot of TERA stuff was made by ex NCSoft employees who stole concept material on the then scrapped Lineage 3" problem, right?

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• NameWasTakenNameWasTaken Member Posts: 132

Will Tera make it into 2013 ?

Probably.

Will it be FTP by then ?

I would surely hope so.

So many stale ideas, wrapped up in girly Elin graphics, makes for an MMO with no lasting appeal. F2P is their last hope.

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

One can only hope these dev teams will start focusing just a little less on graphics and more on gameplay. 

Exactly.

Graphics for example is one of the least important things in a mmorpg.

I mean graphic style is important because you have to like how the art looks but the graphic quality, how fluid animations are, how many polygons there are etc. it's NOT important.

You can have people go "Oh that's cool!" for like a few days but that's it. After a few days most of the people don't give a s*** about the graphics in a mmorpg.

It's just a minor aspect of the game.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Exactly.

I mean graphic style is important because you have to like how the art looks but the graphic quality, how fluid animations are, how many polygons there are etc. it's NOT important.

You can have people go "Oh that's cool!" for like a few days but that's it. After a few days most of the people don't give a s*** about the graphics in a mmorpg.

Not really, TERAs combat/graphics/animation quality has made me unable to touch Rift or WoW with a ten foot poll, so... when I do quit TERA, i'll be done with MMOs until something comparable gets released in the combat/graphics/animation department.

Those three things I mentioned are the main reason most of the people still playing are playing, so they are significant, they are on level with all the other things that make a great MMO, you need a healthy balance between them and many believe TERA doesn't have that balance, yet.

• Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287

Not surprising. The game is a gimmicky skeleton of a game at best.

Originally posted by Pivotelite

Exactly.

Not really, TERAs combat/graphics/animation quality has made me unable to touch Rift or WoW with a ten foot poll, so... when I do quit TERA, i'll be done with MMOs until something comparable gets released in the combat/graphics/animation department.

Those three things I mentioned are the main reason most of the people still playing are playing, so they are significant, they are on level with all the other things that make a great MMO, you need a healthy balance between them and many believe TERA doesn't have that balance, yet.

that's why i said "most of the people"

Yes there are few people that think graphics/animation/actioncombat is important but not many. But the majority just went back to games that have much more important features than those.

In Korea Tera went down from more than 1 million to 40k players.... i seriously doubt they left mmos altogether.

Even the "Tera's combat has ruined tab targeting combat for me" nonsense. That's only for a minority. The action combat is a gimmick, once you get accustomed to it there is no variation and it gest old pretty fast.  The first days you are "OH WOW THIS IS COOL! after awhile you are just doing your rotation as always while yawning. Most of the people just went back to "tab targeting" mmos with no problems at all.

Because that's minor things. What does really matter in mmos is the content, how you interract with other players, how you explore, how you interract with world, the variety in the activities, the fun you can have out of it....

Tera failed at it. hard

It made the same error SWTOR did. They spent all their budget on voice actors for quests. Pretty cool but the rest?

Tera did the same. All the efforts went of graphics and the antimations for the action combat. Pretty cool but what about REAL gameplay?

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Yes there are few people that think graphics/animation/actioncombat is important but not many. But the majority just went back to games that have much more important features than those.

In Korea Tera went down from more than 1 million to 40k players.... i seriously doubt they left mmos altogether.

Even the "Tera's combat has ruined tab targeting combat for me" nonsense. That's only for a minority. The action combat is a gimmick, once you get accustomed to it there is no variation and it gest old pretty fast.  The first days you are "OH WOW THIS IS COOL! after awhile you are just doing your rotation as always while yawning. Most of the people just went back to "tab targeting" mmos with no problems at all

I'm sure you agree TERA lost the majority of it's players because the game started off broken, they instantly went from like 1.1m to 300k in a few short months, then 300k to 130k took over a year, the game released almost joke worthy and i'm pretty sure it was NCsofts lawsuits that caused it to be released super early.

Also if you do the "same rotation" in PvP you or your opponent is doing something very wrong.

Originally posted by Pivotelite

Even the "Tera's combat has ruined tab targeting combat for me" nonsense. That's only for a minority. The action combat is a gimmick, once you get accustomed to it there is no variation and it gest old pretty fast.  The first days you are "OH WOW THIS IS COOL! after awhile you are just doing your rotation as always while yawning. Most of the people just went back to "tab targeting" mmos with no problems at all

I'm sure you agree TERA lost the majority of it's players because the game started off broken, they instantly went from like 1.1m to 300k in a few short months, then 300k to 130k took over a year, the game released almost joke worthy and i'm pretty sure it was NCsofts lawsuits that caused it to be released super early.

Also if you do the "same rotation" in PvP you or your opponent is doing something very wrong.

And that's the point. Awesome graphics and animation and "true action combat" were not enough to keep them in game. They went all back to Aion.

And even after the big nosedive the game still slowly bleed subs. Even right now when it's supposed to be "complete".