Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Launch Day Trailer Released

2»

Comments

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

This game is a blast of sickening malodorous fetid reeking air, in a good way.

All MMO have little gripes but I'm really impressed with the launch, still has a bloody annoying dx11 bug from beta that corrupts certain text in the game, but otherwise very smooth.

It's quite a departure from the common MMO, & for some that may initially be disconcerting but if you give the game time & allow yourself to adapt to it's quirks it will steal your soul.

8/10 from me.

• plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397

quality trailer. proper sends a tingle down my spine. if i wasnt already having a fantastic time in the game i would be rushing out to but it as we speak :)

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• santasantasantasanta Member Posts: 10

Very nice.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

I liked the song.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Originally posted by Terranah

Nice graphics but it didn't make me want to play.  I'll wait for the reviews I think.  

I agree. The best trailers are the ones that explain the gameplay. Eve Online's Butterfly Effect is one of the best examples.

• Eighty7Eighty7 Member UncommonPosts: 22

This trailer really captures what it is like to play the game.

• LurvLurv Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Gave me the chills yet has that feeling of just being drawn into this world. I could see myself in my room with all the lights off at night being sucked into this game hours on end. I'll give ot a month to see where the hype is still at. I need a second mmo to give me a break from Tera here and there.

Getting too old for this $&17!

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

Hats off FUNCOM. Gongrats on launching a marvelous game.

The Ultimate Breakdown

• Darknomad911Darknomad911 Member Posts: 1

i have the pre order grand master lifetime sub

as ive played anarchy and conan enough to know this one was going to work out well

p.s i get free down time also :p

its a thinkers game with ties into all our childhood lore stories

a very clever move i think

now if only i could figure out how to fish for nessie :D

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

Doesn't ring my bell at all..

• NenyaNenya Member Posts: 5

Very nice Trailer and very apt in the representation of the game itself. Looking forward to immersing myself deeper into the game and the storyline.

Live for today and let tomorrow look after itself!

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Having been burned by Anarchy Onlines launch (likely one of the WORST launches in MMO history), and again with Age of Conan (after the first 20 levels on the island, the game dropped off a cliff), I'm going to wait for awhile and see what happens. Especially with Guild Wars 2 coming out on the 28th of August.  The trailer looks interesting, but so disjointed that I suspect I know their target audience. ^^

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • GathorGathor Member UncommonPosts: 10

Nice graphics but it didn't make me want to play.  I'll wait for the reviews I think.  

No need to wait : http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/first_press_reviews_and_ratings

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    There's no tortage syndrome

After kingsmouth you go savage coast.

Now the eastern side of sc is even better than kingsmouth with the themepark and what have you. But when I went the west / south was a little disappointed with the more kill x type quests

Next up was blue mountain which I found ace but has been a brick wall for others, this is when the game starts showing its true difficulty. Tsw is not a game where you grind some solo pve while watching tv like say wow. You really have to pay attention and know how to run multiple decks once you hit bm.

I'm currently in Egypt. The Egypt zones are superb, best pve areas I've played in any mmo, EVER.
  • LakvarLakvar Member Posts: 4

I will not play the game now, even if I am a fan.. have too little time before GW2 comes out. 

But have to post to say I am surprised at the score choice, it being my favourite piece of music in the world - Dinah Washington remixed with Max Richter - This Bitter Earth / On The Nature Of Daylight

For me, there's a big disconnect about what the song is about and what the game universe is about ... but it is a tremendous atmospheric piece. 

Hope those of you who get to play in Funcom's new world get to find themselves & have a lot of fun. 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I've not heard the song, I'm on my mobile, but the title sounds very much within the themes of tsw.
  • YionYion Member Posts: 1

Here is a real review.  Yes, it was the smoothest MMO launch for FUNCOM, but it was/is far from perfect.

First the good, as everyone said above. The game is fun. Shotguns are a blast. The quests and story are fun and challenging.  The character building is very similar to making a Magic the Gathering deck.  you have 7 active and 7 passive abilities. There are solo instances for your faction to weed out the people who cannot make a balanced deck.  Yeah they will still be able to play but they won't promote beyond a certain point until they complete their quest.  Your "level" is purely based on which quality of weapons and trinkets you are wearing.

Now for the stuff nobody else is saying... Over a week into the game and there are numerous quests that cannot be completed reliably.  So one of the "fixes" is you ask a person in another dimension to invite you to a group, you join them on their server and see if it is working there.  Don't even bother petitioning it to a GM, all they can do is apologise and ask you to try again after the next patch/server reset. 

The chat system is the worst I have ever seen.  At random intervals and when you change zones, you have to manually turn on all the chat channels again.  Sometimes the whole chat system shuts down and you cannot find the channels to turn on.  This has led people to recieve messages from GMs, not be able to respond and have their petitions close.

I still play the game, have fun with it, but whenever I am trying to solve a puzzle I frequently wonder "Am i doing this wrong, or is it another bugged quest?"

• kwixxkwixx Member UncommonPosts: 3

Humm, i just dont get it. Played MMOs from Ultima online, through eq and eq2, vanguard, wow, rift...but i dont see what this game is suppose to be.  I guess an MMO. This trailer tells me nothing about game play. looks like maye you can be human, or undead, or a dragon, maybe a werewolf. Matbe its a FPS, use guns and swords. Or post apocalyptic, or a different world space travel. Ya lots of confusing info in that video. 

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by kwixx

Humm, i just dont get it. Played MMOs from Ultima online, through eq and eq2, vanguard, wow, rift...but i dont see what this game is suppose to be.  I guess an MMO. This trailer tells me nothing about game play. looks like maye you can be human, or undead, or a dragon, maybe a werewolf. Matbe its a FPS, use guns and swords. Or post apocalyptic, or a different world space travel. Ya lots of confusing info in that video. 

Or maybe you could look it up and find more about it?  Yeah maybe that could work too.

• delateurdelateur Member Posts: 156

While I enjoyed most of what I saw in the beta, ultimately I had to give this one a pass. Too much like WoW, too many broken quests, too many rude players that hop on unique spawns regardless of who might be waiting. Still waiting for a new game that achieves a happy middle ground like CoH, with plenty of instances that can't be usurped by rudeness and can be soloed without too much difficulty, but still plenty of great teaming opportunities. SW:TOR was my last great hope for something like that, and while I consider it a success in letting the player feel like their efforts were unique and meaningful in the world, I saw no replayability in it once you'd played through each main story once. 

That said, I think Secret World will appeal to a LOT of people (and seems to be doing that in this crowd), and should be considered a success by the standards of what the game is trying to be. It's just not the kind of game I want to play right now.

• illutianillutian Member UncommonPosts: 343

I love the fact that you only need to role ONE character (per faction of course). No more rolling a healer, a dps, and then a tank.

Illutian (illutian) - Cerberus Dimension

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

• kingsatanaskingsatanas Member Posts: 31

that a very nice game well if yu can deal with all those bug and able to play without a grpe chat QQ

and if yu like soloing >< all map are 100% solo that the thing idont like. i tried to play duo but the whole qst are too easy. a good 10/10 for the game and a fail 0/10 about qsting system bored

• wgc01wgc01 Member UncommonPosts: 241

How do you know the people that review tha game, enjoy the same play style as you ? I never depend on reviews, other than techinal issues.. but to each thier own I guess..  If my game play depended on reviews these days I would not be playing anything seems like everyone hates all new games these days..LOL

I have no plans on playing the TSW at this point, not because of reviews but because I am involved in another game I do not want to leave right now.

• LavecLavec Member UncommonPosts: 43

Let me see... TSW with lifetime sub + cash shop for $250 or GW2 with lifetime sub + cash shop for $50, hmmm.... as much as I like the look of this game I will be sticking to GW2 and have $200 up my sleeve to spend on its cash shop and expansions. Even better I managed to score a collector's edition for $150 which is still $100 less than TSW and I get  the awesome goodies. It's a no brainer for me.

I'll happily join TSW in a year or two when it goes free to play. Lifetime subbers will be pissed off but no doubt will get sweeteners like a monthly alowance on the cash shop to compensate like LOTRO.

Nice trailer though but EA need to wake up that the asking for B2P + P2P + cash shop (or Buy lots to play + cash shop for lifetime sub)  is greed. B2P + cash shop is the way to go. It means:

- No sudden population decline as massive amounts of players drop out at 30, 60, and 90 days when they stop their subscription.

- A constant healthly population as even non-active players jump on from time to time and especially during festivals, etc, which, done well like anet have for GW, are a real draw card.

- A lot more sales of full priced game during the launch hype - going F2P later means you have to give the client away to lure new players.

Of course P2P will continue to exist  for small niche markets. Time will tell what TSW will become but had it been B2P I would have forked out $50 today. 

Anyway good luck to it and all the founding members - I really hope it goes well for you all :) I'll be busy in Tyria though...

WebRep

currentVote

noRating
    noWeight

• GkarrGkarr Member UncommonPosts: 46

Excellent work on the trailer. Song blends well with the theme.

Nice job on the graphics update in the game. CB was fun.  When I grow weary of SWTOR, I'll  likely end up playing this game.