Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me understand why people play TSW

Comments

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by maskmurda

In all honestly, I can't see how people play this game. I want(no sarcasm at all) someone to enlighten me on how they can play this. Funcom+EA turns me away as it is, but I played the beta and the game was so bland and unimpressive I can't grasp at why some people are gravitating to it. I wasn't struck by it's visuals, clunky movement and character animations or quest system. People are saying that the skill system is innovative, I see no inovation in the Trinity, only a new perspective. I dont mean to bash anyone who plays it, it's your cup of tea then by all means share with me something you find good in the game that I can check out, but for me a game with this level of quality shouldn't be released in 2012. I expect something like this from 5 years ago.  But I seeing how well EA loves their consumer base I can't see this game ending will in the next few months.  I'm really trying to see the diamond in the rough because I notice alot of people are getting into it, but then again there is that "new car smell" effect things can have.

It's not a bash thread nor I don't expect to bash or be bashed, I just want a real and honest understanding at how some people can use the word "impressive" with this kind of game.

Why do you even need someone to explain it to you? Your mind is already made up, just feels like troll...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

Well I didn't want to read through all the pages of this thread but for me I'll some it up in one word. Intriguing!!!!

• jocieBjocieB Member Posts: 72
    Originally posted by AdrianBLB
    Originally posted by NorseGod

It's been a long, long time since I've had to keep pen and paper next to me while I played an MMO.

This. Has been exactly the case. 

Heh.  Yep.  Me too.

• FurrballsFurrballs Member Posts: 30

The main reason I can see people playing this is, its new and different to anything else currently available, personally after playing the beta I was seriously underwhelmed, clunky combat, annoying skill wheel of hell, half assed attempt at pvp, give it a few months and all you will see are a few fanbois & the game rushing to f2p before it fails completely..

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503

I enjoy all these comments about combat being dumb. TSW has the most tactical, option filled combat system ive ever seen, one in which a single ability out of a deck means the difference between killing or being killed by a difficult opponent. This also means that, with enough patience, and giving it a think before you launch into a fight, nearly everything you own QL or slightly above is killable if you make the right choices. Its not a pew pew game, its one in which you must consider carefully which weapons you are bringing to the fight.

Besides, i like the steady income of AP and SP, that means that im discovering new abilities every session, and expanding my options of play. Its enough to get me hooked, at least by now.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

The funny thing about most mmo's is that you often find yourself wasting time trying to defend the game you play. You see it's inherent flaws, you have issues with it just like everyone elses but you are desperate to love it and enjoy it despite all this ...

... but with TSW I just enjoy it so damn much that I honestly don't give a shit about #%$heads trying to convince themselves they are cooler than the thousands having fun. Honestly when a game comes along that at it's core is a very very good game, there is just no way sad little posters can ruin it for you :)

I might stop playing in 3 months, I may take breaks or play it every week for years. Who knows? But one thing is certain: I need no convincing that it is good nor worry about giving a shit about posters putting so much effort into dissuading others about making up their own minds.

I've stated this before ... I have no idea why so many people get so upset over others enjoying themselves. You can tell it just drives a stick in their craw.

You stay sassy!

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by freston

I enjoy all these comments about combat being dumb. TSW has the most tactical, option filled combat system ive ever seen, one in which a single ability out of a deck means the difference between killing or being killed by a difficult opponent. This also means that, with enough patience, and giving it a think before you launch into a fight, nearly everything you own QL or slightly above is killable if you make the right choices. Its not a pew pew game, its one in which you must consider carefully which weapons you are bringing to the fight.

Besides, i like the steady income of AP and SP, that means that im discovering new abilities every session, and expanding my options of play. Its enough to get me hooked, at least by now.

People are talking about actual combat and not the pre-combat.

Making builds/decks was fun in Magic The Gathering, was fun in Guild Wars, is fun in The Secret World and will be fun in Guild Wars 2.

If it is your first experience in a game like that, you will have a lot of fun and probably ignore other problems, but if you already played that kind of system before you probably won't ignore other faults of the combat system during actual combat. There is something just off.

Which is more of a pain because the rest of the game is pretty damn good (at least if one likes this kind of horror setting).

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• JorendoJorendo Member UncommonPosts: 275

In all honestly, I can't see how people play this game. I want(no sarcasm at all) someone to enlighten me on how they can play this. Funcom+EA turns me away as it is, but I played the beta and the game was so bland and unimpressive I can't grasp at why some people are gravitating to it. I wasn't struck by it's visuals, clunky movement and character animations or quest system. People are saying that the skill system is innovative, I see no inovation in the Trinity, only a new perspective. I dont mean to bash anyone who plays it, it's your cup of tea then by all means share with me something you find good in the game that I can check out, but for me a game with this level of quality shouldn't be released in 2012. I expect something like this from 5 years ago.  But I seeing how well EA loves their consumer base I can't see this game ending will in the next few months.  I'm really trying to see the diamond in the rough because I notice alot of people are getting into it, but then again there is that "new car smell" effect things can have.

It's not a bash thread nor I don't expect to bash or be bashed, I just want a real and honest understanding at how some people can use the word "impressive" with this kind of game.

There is only one and very simple explination. Everyone has a different taste, nothing more nothing less. Some people like Super Mario, others claim Sonic is better. Some love Need for Speed others say Call of Duty is a better game. Its nothing more than what ever you prefer. 

"People are saying that the skill system is innovative, I see no inovation in the Trinity, only a new perspective." I hate to have to pull GW2 in this, but people also say that GW2 is being innovative but like TSW they only place things in a new perspective, their quest system is like Warhammer Online's public quests, Their combat stays the same tabbing and lvling your weapon use was pretty standart in the old MMO's like Ultima Online. And after Tera the GW2 combat feels as standart as any other current tab select game. Both games don't innovate a thing, but they put it in another daylight so it feels fresh again or atleast different from the competition. There is nothing wrong with not being inovative, as long as you make it interesting and i guess for many players TSW has a interesting skill system.

I don't play TSW myself, im still not really convinced its my cup of tea. Like yourself i have issues with the combat as well. The graphics i don't mind so much, its not the worst out there and beside if a game is fun to play i couldn't care less about graphics. TSW has many good ideas but i been jumping onboard of new MMO's a bit to often the last few years to see that i should wait a month or two when im doubting about getting a new MMO. But i can see why its impressive for others after playing the beta. There is the whole search and adventure feel behind it. Your hand is not being hold and you need to look thins up on the internet to get to the next hint. Offcourse you got those lame walktroughs so that instantely makes the game boring again. But TSW offers so much more than the basic "go here kill that"  quests.  And how often do you get to play in the real world? Many things can be called impresive but it has to be your cup of tea, if its not it will be hard to see why it would be impresive.

• PhantasmagoriaPhantasmagoria Member Posts: 63

I am not quite impressed with the game.  I do not see anything special on it. Quests are similar to other mmos--NPC needs this, please get it from this mob or whatsoever. Plus the graphics isnt really that nice.  Same as the others, please, give just one reason why this game is worth playing.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Jena007
    I am not quite impressed with the game.  I do not see anything special on it. Quests are similar to other mmos--NPC needs this, please get it from this mob or whatsoever. Plus the graphics isnt really that nice.  Same as the others, please, give just one reason why this game is worth playing.
    Because I'm having fun.
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Jorendo

There is only one and very simple explination. Everyone has a different taste, nothing more nothing less. Some people like Super Mario, others claim Sonic is better. Some love Need for Speed others say Call of Duty is a better game. Its nothing more than what ever you prefer. 

"People are saying that the skill system is innovative, I see no inovation in the Trinity, only a new perspective." I hate to have to pull GW2 in this, but people also say that GW2 is being innovative but like TSW they only place things in a new perspective, their quest system is like Warhammer Online's public quests, Their combat stays the same tabbing and lvling your weapon use was pretty standart in the old MMO's like Ultima Online. And after Tera the GW2 combat feels as standart as any other current tab select game. Both games don't innovate a thing, but they put it in another daylight so it feels fresh again or atleast different from the competition. There is nothing wrong with not being inovative, as long as you make it interesting and i guess for many players TSW has a interesting skill system.

I don't play TSW myself, im still not really convinced its my cup of tea. Like yourself i have issues with the combat as well. The graphics i don't mind so much, its not the worst out there and beside if a game is fun to play i couldn't care less about graphics. TSW has many good ideas but i been jumping onboard of new MMO's a bit to often the last few years to see that i should wait a month or two when im doubting about getting a new MMO. But i can see why its impressive for others after playing the beta. There is the whole search and adventure feel behind it. Your hand is not being hold and you need to look thins up on the internet to get to the next hint. Offcourse you got those lame walktroughs so that instantely makes the game boring again. But TSW offers so much more than the basic "go here kill that"  quests.  And how often do you get to play in the real world? Many things can be called impresive but it has to be your cup of tea, if its not it will be hard to see why it would be impresive.

I think one thing both TSW and GW2 do very well is motivating the player and disguising the same old things.

One might say that it isn't that different but I don't agree - we all know illusionism is a trick and not magic, but if done very well it will feel as magic and if done wrong it is pure crap.

It also seems people have a very strict definition of innovation - "they only place things in a new perspective" that is innovation. Innovation doesn't only mean something never seen or completely different.

And I don't think GW2 combat is the same old tab targetting system for several reasons, from hitting whatever is in your path targetted or not, to atacks going off even if you aren't in range or regardless of you targetting something but most important to the fact the skills themselves (apart the "1" skill) being quite strategic by offering several ways of being used especially since you can cast them without a target).

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• deathstrike6deathstrike6 Member UncommonPosts: 10

dont try so hard to accomplish something u dont like it, even we giving out our points but maybe this is not ur type game, as for me all i have to say is: if u actually can feel the atmosphere in game, then this is ur game, i like it bc both story and the atmosphere make u jump up and hang on something while playing it, just like LFD 1 or 2

Haha good for you.

I have to admit, deathstrike is right. Maybe this is just not our game. But still, i dont get it. Most of the MMO's that i play have ALMOST the same features but still I dont seem to get why i dont enjoy it as much as i enjoy the other games.

Anyway, i think i could consider playing it again. Maybe there are parts that i missed.

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by Garvon3

I don't understand how anyone plays entirely instanced games and pretend they're MMOs.

Much less Funcom WoW clones.

I actually lol'ed.

The Secret World is very far from a WoW clone, clearly you've never played the game.

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

"I want someone to enlighten me how people can actually enjoy drinking Pepsi. It's clearly a cheap imitation of Coke, and we all know Coke is better. I'm not bashing anyone that likes Pepsi, it's just that they clearly have underdeveloped tastebuds, or perhaps they're still kids and love oversweetened drinks."

Sorry OP, but it all comes down to taste. Entertainment is entirely subjective. There is no universally "best" music, movie, play, game or TV show. I can explain to you in great detail why I think TSW is an awesome game, but it will make no difference at the end of the day.

This ^

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Because its fun..

Has some of the best graphics in the industry

Has some of the best quest lines in the industry

Has an awesome world setting and atmosphere

I could go no but will leave it at this... if you dont like the game why on earth do you need other people to give you a reason to play... just go play somthing you like.. very simple :) I mean no matter how many times someone tells me how awesome beef tastes..  i wont eat it as I know i dont like it..

• kartanakartana Member UncommonPosts: 148

Yep, questing is fun, the world is great and the atmosphere is awesome! But I just don't like the combat. If I'm trying to avoid as many enemies as I possibly can, something is wrong. I have my rotation etc. but it just doesn't feel fluid enough.

Originally posted by Caldrin

Because its fun..

I could go no but will leave it at this... if you dont like the game why on earth do you need other people to give you a reason to play... just go play somthing you like.. very simple :) I mean no matter how many times someone tells me how awesome beef tastes..  i wont eat it as I know i dont like it..

same reply as deathstrike's XD

Anyway, as i said, i agree with all you guys. Again, i just dont get why i cant seem to love this game the way i love the other games that im currently playing now--given that the features are almost the same. 

I am planning to give the game a second chance :)

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Anyway, as i said, i agree with all you guys. Again, i just dont get why i cant seem to love this game the way i love the other games that im currently playing now--given that the features are almost the same. 

We cant all like the same things... thats the way of the world and what keeps things interesting.. world would be a very boring place if we all liked the same thing hehe :)

It can be a little tiny thing that puts you off the game.. going back to my dislike of beef.. its not the taste i dont like its the texture LOL i dont mind beef flavour chrisps for instacne.. :)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

I recently gave TSW a try and here's what's keeping me coming back.

1) Zombies - Yes, call me shallow, but I love killing zombies and all things undead.  I really enjoy the starter zone Kingsmouth, the entire setting, story line and of course, all the undead to kill.  As I work my way through the various quests (which are quite fun, and sometimes frustrating) I diverge often just to...kill undead..again and again.  I'm a hammer/shotgun wielder and whether its solo or in groups, I cut through the undead like there is no tomorrow.

2)  Well, as mentioned above, the stories behind the quests are pretty entertaining.  Don't kid yourself, there's still a good sprinkling of "kill 10 rats" quests, but hey, since their zombies it's all good. (besides, I love kill quests).  I'm not quite the fan of the investigative missions, never was much of a puzzle solver, thank goodness there's Google ™  Overall the balance and presentation has been good.

3) Skills, and the wheel.  Cool concepts, still not sure that I like the limitation of only 7 active skills on my screen at any one time, I hate picking an choosing, but we'll see how I warm up to it as I get further along.

4) It's new and fun for now, when it stops being so, I'll move on to GW2.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

We cant all like the same things... thats the way of the world and what keeps things interesting.. world would be a very boring place if we all liked the same thing hehe :)

It can be a little tiny thing that puts you off the game.. going back to my dislike of beef.. its not the taste i dont like its the texture LOL i dont mind beef flavour chrisps for instacne.. :)

It's a very good thing that we all have differing tastes in games. Can you imagine the login queues if 20M gamers decided to play TSW ? image

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

Because its fun..

Graphics- you say are not that great. Are you playing on the highest level graphics setting with DirectX 11? I don't think you are otherwise you would see, according to Nvidia the best graphics in any MMO so far.  Driving a Ferrari at 30 mph only you would not see why people say it was a fast car.

Quests:- Some of the quests are get this or kill that and some are wrapped up to look different but boil down to get this or kill that. However there are a lot of quests that dont have this format. You have to play the game to see these quests. There are various categories of quest, Investigation,  etc. You could boil everything down if you wanted to but you can do that do anything, and ends up ultimately that all games are just us click at different lights on the a screen with our mouse!

For me, I like TSW because there are no levels, there are no classes and it is set in the modern world. These are more or less unquie to TSW.

I do not need to roll different alts to experience different skills or different roles, I can be a healer, I can be a Tank I can be a single target DPSer, I can be an AOE dps player, I can be an off Tank, I can be a secondary Healer, I can heal and add a bit of Aoe, etc etc etc. I can be exactly what I want to be when I want to be it.

The more depth an MMO has IMHO the more time I have to spend on it. The combat system is exteremely deep, with synergy, triggers and states and tbh I have not even started looking at these yet.

The whole setting of the game is new, the look of my char is new, I can wear what I like when I like. The atmosphere of the game is very nice as well, in some places it really spooky, I summon my pet to be to keep me company sometimes lol!

WoW released in 2004 and I got it on release, subsequently I have played almost all AAA MMOs that have released apart from Aion and TERA and a few others I guess.

And all these MMOs are more or less the same, same classes, same fantasy based games with similar combat mechanics, spells, interfaces, etc. TSW breaks away from this "sameness" and does things differently, that is a big reason why people are excited about it. Its like a breathe of fresh air after sitting in the smokers room for 10 years.

• LunknumbLunknumb Member Posts: 1

How to enjoy: Let the good stuff shine and keep the bad stuff out of focus.

Enjoying it so far, but I don't know how long I'll last. It feels pretty mediocre as an action game, so I don't quite see it working well as a dungeon grinder or active pvp game. The focus will have to be other stuff than pew-pew.  Skill wheel-metagame can be the best thing since bread, but wont count for much if the pew-pew wont deliver in the other end. Not sure how that's gonna work out when the puzzels run out or get old.

Still enjoying it though. One day at a time.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Everyone of those negatives, I find a positive.

The combat may seem boring but to me its an innovation on tab targetting which I greatly love, it is after all the mainstay of MMO combat.  Being able to move and cast is amazing and once you start getting some new skills and open up greater animations it starts to flow all so elegantly.

I love the dark atmosphere, the woe-is-me feel of the game, the "any minute I am going to die to a zombie, or a clutist assasin.  (I do not like the Al'kar though, they are freaking annoying).  I love the art style, the story and the sense of dread at every turn the game delivers.  It is so much more enjoyable to know I am fighting evil unlike certain games where all I fight are trees, bumble bees and pixies.

Being able to mix and match weapons and skills lets you experiment with amazing synergy and lets you build the perfect class.  Unlike GW2 where I am stuck using the same boring weapon abilities with no chance to customize my choice of weapons to the skills I use.  Also being able to place my skills in the limited hotbar in my ideal fashion so I can hit 1,2,3,1111,2,3,4,5 etc.  Unlike GW2 where I am forced to remember uncouth keystrokes like 4,2,1,3 which is downright silly.

The quest system is amazing.  It promotes sense of exploration and adds to the overall feel of the game.  Having to actually THINK while I play a MMO is a breath of fresh air.  Instead of running from point A to point B, I actually have to approach each quest with critical thinking invloved.  One example is in Scorced Desert in Egypt.  I am sent on a sabotoge quest to destroy the source of corrupt date palms(Phoenix dactylifera), I have to inflitrate a processing plant and destroy the vehicles used in transportation, while evading mobs some of which will one-shot you, avoid CCTV cameras or they will alert said mobs and then proceed to the plantation to destroy the source of corruption while avoiding a huge wondering corrupt golem.  I use guile in TSW just as much as brawn.

http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/character/Zederok

All in all the game is extremely innovative and will more then likely hold me over for a long time.  SO much so that I wish GW2 would get delayed to give me more time in TSW.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435

i dont play TSW and dont like the box+sub+cs system, buuuuut. after looking ur darkevilepeenhelldemon avatar and posts like this :  

Does this mean I can't stack up skill points and just get the OP skills first?  Or are they expanding my gaming experience by taking me through tiers in hopes to pace my gameplay and provide that feeling of gaining power over time?  I mean, I played WoW and I hope every game ends up like WoW anyway.

Well, Well, Well, i can see where u sprouted from....