Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Marvel Heroes: First Ever Gameplay Preview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

With more than one summer blockbuster movie centering around super heroes, it's only natural that we start thinking about Marvel Heroes, Gazillion's game on the horizon. We recently had a chance to check out Marvel Heroes' game play and have a full preview. Read on!

The Amazing Spider-Man #300. Double-sized 25th anniversary issue with an all-out brawl between the webhead himself and Eddie Brock-turned Venom, who had just made his first appearance in the vengeful symbiote suit two issues previous. This book was a holy grail of sorts for me and my group of comic-obsessed friends when we were kids, clamoring to see it hanging in protective plastic on the wall of our neighborhood graphic novel store. Similarly, the MMO genre, young in comparison to video gaming in general, is still searching for its holy grail Marvel MMO. Sure, we've got several fully competent superhero MMOs, including Champions Online and DC Universe Online, and a host of comic-based single-player ventures, like Ultimate Alliance and Batman: Arkham City. But Marvel fans have had to wait quite a long time for a fully-featured massive online game that allows them to play as their favorite superheroes, and we hopefully won't have to wait much longer if Marvel Heroes has anything to say about it.

Read more of Som Pourfarzaneh's Marvel Heroes: First Ever Gameplay Preview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Kinda looking forward to this... diablo style super hero game.. yup i like :)

• kirak2009kirak2009 Member UncommonPosts: 543

looks like a fun distraction game,  kinda looking forward to it now myself

"All expectation leads to suffering" Buhhda

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

Where's Spiderman and Thor?

• lastgunstarlastgunstar Member Posts: 7

I didn't care at first, but now that they are using the Diablo formula... Yeah, I'm actually kinda hyped for this.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

In general I like what they did with the character models, but that Magneto looks terribly amateurish. They have a good balance of proportions on other characters, how they flopped on him is perplexing. 

But yeah, been looking forward to this for years now. After the Alliance games, the only thing I had to sate my desires for some good Marvel RPGness was Super Hero Squad, but the kid-factor grows tedious eventually. Really looking forward to the big boy version. It's nice to see there will be some stat customization there as well. So far my only concern is the lack of WASD movement, hopefully that will get added in later.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• Flaming_MMOFlaming_MMO Member Posts: 137

Again, its a shame that 6 years ago Marvel Universe Online was annonced.  And this is what is has become when it could have been so, so much more.

• RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674

Wanting a Marvel MMO that is a reskinned Diablo clone is not on my list. The fact I read that Wolverine doing a whirlwind attack just bothers me. I was more hoping to see him jumping around slashing with his claw than see him being a ballerina. Guess I will just have to see if I feel like I can play any of the heroes when it comes out and it not feel like an arcade game. Doesn't much like what I was hoping for but wishing it luck and it does what the majority want it to.

Originally posted by Robbgobb

Wanting a Marvel MMO that is a reskinned Diablo clone is not on my list. The fact I read that Wolverine doing a whirlwind attack just bothers me. I was more hoping to see him jumping around slashing with his claw than see him being a ballerina. Guess I will just have to see if I feel like I can play any of the heroes when it comes out and it not feel like an arcade game. Doesn't much like what I was hoping for but wishing it luck and it does what the majority want it to.

He was pretty spinny in Marvel vs. Capcom games. Still a bad ass ;p

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• DreyderDreyder Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by Flaming_MMO

Again, its a shame that 6 years ago Marvel Universe Online was annonced.  And this is what is has become when it could have been so, so much more.

MUO was not the same game... MUO became Champions.

It's a shame the premise for the angle of your whole argument is based on misinformation.

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780

This game looks awesome!

The only thing that could mess it up is a bad microtransaction system (pay to win).

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Marvel is my all time favorite Universe of heroes and i was so excited about this game untill i read this article..... let me paraphrase a statement from David Brevik...

"its a point and click game, sorry WASD fans, screw you"

thanks for that Gazzillion, enjoy your crappy game.

tahts the only reason i wont ever touch any diablo and diablo clones. Whats going on with all these developers not giving the option to players on how to control the effing game.

If i could play a PC game without a mouse i would unplug the dang thing from my pc. Dont force me to control my game and my character with a damn mouse. Or be smart and add both options............JEEZ another most wanted mmo flushed down the toilet.

Originally posted by rojo6934

Marvel is my all time favorite Universe of heroes and i was so excited about this game untill i read this article..... let me paraphrase a statement from David Brevik...

"its a point and click game, sorry WASD fans, screw you"

thanks for that Gazzillion, enjoy your crappy game.

tahts the only reason i wont ever touch any diablo and diablo clones. Whats going on with all these developers not giving the option to players on how to control the effing game.

If i could play a PC game without a mouse i would unplug the dang thing from my pc. Dont force me to control my game and my character with a damn mouse. Or be smart and add both options............JEEZ another most wanted mmo flushed down the toilet.

I don't agree it's flushable just on that, but I understand the sentiment and it's something that annoys me, too. I could play the Ultimate Alliance games with a controller/joystick, which is functionally the same thing as using WASD. I don't get the purist mentality of point and click, it's a dated mechanism that, while viable as an option, should no longer be mandatory. I can also use WASD for Squad Online, and could use it for more diablo-esque games like Mythic Global as well. It's just stupid not to include it.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by gaeanprayer

I don't agree it's flushable just on that, but I understand the sentiment and it's something that annoys me, too. I could play the Ultimate Alliance games with a controller/joystick, which is functionally the same thing as using WASD. I don't get the purist mentality of point and click, it's a dated mechanism that, while viable as an option, should no longer be mandatory. I can also use WASD for Squad Online, and could use it for more diablo-esque games like Mythic Global as well. It's just stupid not to include it.

that was a very personal comment because I dont play point and click games of any genre.  There are various diablo-like games that have WASD and some even controller support. Both WASD and point and click should always be available.

Thats enough reason for me to abandon a game no matter how much i wanted it. If i dont like how im playing the game, why am i playing it? :)

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

It looks fine for a popcorn game.  I can see myself playing around with it, but not the the long haul.

Whatr I will dislike is seeing 20 hulks and 100 spidermen, etc.

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

that was a very personal comment because I dont play point and click games of any genre.  There are various diablo-like games that have WASD and some even controller support. Both WASD and point and click should always be available.

Thats enough reason for me to abandon a game no matter how much i wanted it. If i dont like how im playing the game, why am i playing it? :)

I feel you dude. I play them cuz I like the genre, but the lack of WASD definitely is a detriment to the overall enjoyment of the game. I'm merely saying that's not enough for me to discard it, especially since the overwhelming majority of these games defer to point and click. Don't ask me why. I saw someone mention WASD on the TL2 forums, it erupted into 20+ pages of flaming within hours. The response was truly eye roll worthy.

• ShariestShariest Member Posts: 44

Feels kinda Lost Sagaish with the class-change-system-thingy :)

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

Trying to remain on high horse because you can't make your own hero. Trying and failing, this just looks freaking awesome.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

Looks like an updated version of Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. Kinda fun since it'll be free, but I can't see a lot of personal investment or character ownership.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    Originally posted by Pyuk

Looks like an updated version of Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. Kinda fun since it'll be free, but I can't see a lot of personal investment or character ownership.

My feelings exactly.  I was really hoping for a third person game instead of diablo type.  I will try it and probably quit after a few days unless I am somehow pleasantly surprised. More than likely kinda fun, but not awesomely fun...

• Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323

I can't wait to see 12,000 Wolverines.  Sigh.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

I'd be interested to hear more about what it's like being Wolverine with 50 other Wolverines running around. Is it immersion breaking? Diablo had the advantage of the classes not being iconic, well known, popular characters. Sorceress A and Sorceress B looking the same meant very little, whereas I think it will be slightly awkward with a bunch of Hulks running amok.

The gameplay sounds fun, but I don't know why they didn't just go with an archetype system.

• harvest151harvest151 Member UncommonPosts: 217

Hulk would just ROFLSTOMP everyone.

• shantidevashantideva Member UncommonPosts: 186

I'd rather play Double Dragon on my Neo-geo,all by myself, than suffer through this bullshit=)

"Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night, all day!"

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Looks like fun, I think the superhero genre is better suited to ARPG style play than classic tab-targetting MMORPG style.

As for the WASD complaints.. personally, I think if any isometric Diablo style game ever did add WASD controls, everyone who had demanded them would use them for about five minutes, and then say "yeah, that totally does not work AT ALL with this style of gameplay. Oops."