Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG with the best Necromancer class?

Which MMO has the best Necromancer class? If you want you can list and rank the ones you have played. Explaining why would be great. Thanks guys.

Comments

• XirikXirik Member UncommonPosts: 440

Guild wars.

Back when it first launched it was amazing to see  th massive armies of fiends they made out of dead players.  I am guessing Necro in GW2 is the same.

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

I would say Everquest, because it was a heck of a lot of fun and they had usefulness (well, at least in the beginning) besides just being damage output.

My corpse is lost, can someone help me find it?!

Can someone summon my corpse for me?

Necro was so so so valuable.

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

EQ1 - Necromancers could do it all

charm undead, powerful pet, feign death, resurrect other players, fear, snare

find corpse, summon corpse, levitation, waterbreathing,

sacrifice their health for more power or to heal others

EQ2 - similar to EQ1 but less abilities

Age of Conan - minion fun

Dungeons and Dragons Online, Pale Master (Wizard) - havent personally played this build

Vanguard - didnt get beyond newbie levels, cant comment

not mmos

Guild Wars 1 - alot of fun w minions, curses, and hexes

Diablo2   - minion fun and corpse explosion

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Vanguard - Traditional Necromancer, very Everquest style. Some of the spells look like crud (they do for other classes as well, not just this one) but the versitility of the class makes up for it. Great solo, even greater in a group. If the reason you like necro is because of older MMOs then this is the one you want. Has a persistent pet, has limited duration minions available along side that, can create pets from enemies they have killed, can change into various forms (such as a Lich) and has necromancer only gear called Grafts which are used to equip and customize your persistent pet. This one is leagues above all the others.

Rift - The necro line is sort of traditional if you focus all your points into that and the pets are great if you know how to play it properly. Pair it with a Warlock soul and you have a lot of the skills on offer that make you love a necro in the first place. Has a persistent pet. Can also be paired with other magic souls though for a more interesting type of necro.

DDO (Necromancer Wizard Path) - It's dungeons and dragons... Instant kill negative energy moves if you get the rolls. Reasonable pets and lots of control abilities. Plus they dish out some above avg dps. It's advanced though, which you might see as a good or bad thing. Plus, searching on the DDO forums might find a better build instead of using the path.

Guild Wars - Can have lots of pets at once, probably the most in any MMO, but keeping them all alive (because their life degrades) is a chore. GW is a a love or hate game... and is not traditional MMO style in any way, it's more like a group strategy game so, really, you wouldn't just be playing a necro. Also, the AI heroes generally make much better necros than the players in PVE situations because they can monitor the whole battlefield continuously and instantly (knowing where all debuffs and buffs are, all their pets health at the same time etc.), meaning they can be much more efficient than a real player.

GW2s Necro would be in there at number 2 if the game was released. Multiple persistent pets plus lots of 'new' ideas for the class. I don't include EQ1's necro because a personally feel EQ1 is off the map these days. I played it and enjoyed it in it's day but I wouldn't recommend the game to anyone now. The 'memory' of the EQ1 necro is a fine thing.. but going back and playing it in this day and age ain't much fun imo.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999

Without question - EQ1

• UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521

I agree with EQ1, but I'd add that DAOC's Necromancer (before it was nerfed) was probably the most fun to PVE with.  Was non-stop action if spec'd right.

• TheBicBirdTheBicBird Member Posts: 8

Eq1 without a doubt.  It's what other MMO-Necros aspire to be.

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

EQ1 might have been best for most, but the game is just too old these days.  I guess it depends on what the OP is after, a modern playable MMO or just any MMO that has a fun necro class?

I'd say RIFT is probably the most modern MMO with a decent necro class.  Three different persistant pets to choose from.  A rogue DPS pet, a Tank pet, and a ranged AOE caster pet.  Several temp pets if I remember correctly.  Lots of damage over time style spells / diseases.

You can also build it with a healing so you can heal your own pets or other players and even rez people.  I had a solo build with strong healing and with the tank pet you could basically kill anything solo.  Your damage would heal the pet while you fight.

EQ2 might be second on my list.  Not nearly as modern but still playable.  The EQ2 necro can build a very strong solo-able necro with big pet heals as well as decent DPS.  I don't enjoy EQ2 much because you have way too many spells and many of them aren't all that useful. 

DAOC is old but the Necro was fun, you would be a ghost and control your pet, all spells would be used by your pet and your ghost couldn't be attacked unless the pet died.  I'd almost say the Bonedancer in DAOC was more "Necro-like" as it had more pets.  DAOC is really hard to play now as the interface and controls are just bad compared to modern standards.

• tarestares Member Posts: 381

EQ1...necros don't need a group because they are a group.

I played a necro in rift and was cool, but nor even close to EQ1.

I play tanks but I do have a soft spot for necros even thought I didn't play a necro  in eq1, just knew a bunch of them. I played a tank till rifts forst instance and couldn't find a group so rerolled to necro.

• Ashen_XAshen_X Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by Vannor

Guild Wars - Can have lots of pets at once, probably the most in any MMO, but keeping them all alive (because their life degrades) is a chore. GW is a a love or hate game... and is not traditional MMO style in any way, it's more like a group strategy game so, really, you wouldn't just be playing a necro. Also, the AI heroes generally make much better necros than the players in PVE situations because they can monitor the whole battlefield continuously and instantly (knowing where all debuffs and buffs are, all their pets health at the same time etc.), meaning they can be much more efficient than a real player.

Keep in mind that the best use of undead minions in GW1 was to NOT keep them alive. Enchanting minions so that they exploded for damage and spread poison to foes in an area when they died was the way to go.

When all has been said and done, more will have been said than done.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by Ashen_X

Keep in mind that the best use of undead minions in GW1 was to NOT keep them alive. Enchanting minions so that they exploded for damage and spread poison to foes in an area when they died was the way to go.

As a Veteran EQ1 necromancer I HATED GW1's necromancer class with a burning soul-less passion of HELL.

Temporary minions that decay so damn quickly. Weak curses that made you cringe having to spam them. Not to mention the fact you pretty much had pathetic lifetaps that practically did nothing.

HATED HATED HATED GW1 Necromancer like no one's business. Worst Necromancer I've EVER had the displeasure of using.

My personal List:

EQ1 (no surprise)

DAOC (again, no surprise)

Diablo 2

EQ2 (kind of OK, but were essentially carbon copies of Conjurers when EQ2 released, still are essentially)

Developers need to understand that a Necromancer is all about using the "Dark Arts", and persistant pets are part of what made Necromancy so popular in MMOs. Not to mention the fun dots, and skeletal/undead forms :)!

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• Ashen_XAshen_X Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Temporary minions that decay so damn quickly. Weak curses that made you cringe having to spam them. Not to mention the fact you pretty much had pathetic lifetaps that practically did nothing.

Interesting.

I found curses that could, with a single casting, wipe out entire groups of mobs to be very effective. Minions that could, by virtue of dying, bring death to groups of mobs, while protecting you, were similarly very effective. Lifetaps (meaning Blood magic ?) were armor ignoring damage that was so effective (PvP and PvE builds centered around BM were exceptionally powerful) that the entirety of the hard mode game was adjusted to compensate.

How long did you play a GW Necro ?

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to flame you here. You are of course entitled to like or dislike whatever you choose. I was surprised at your description of Curses and Blood Magic (I think that is what you meant by Lifetap) as it doesn't match up with the actual function of the powers in game.

When all has been said and done, more will have been said than done.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

i would say Vanguard one, but i didnt play EQ1 nor DAoC

• khamul787khamul787 Member UncommonPosts: 193

As with a lot of people here, I'm saying GW. My necro was one of my mains for about 1000+ hours and I absolutely loved the feeling of being a true minion master. Micro managing nearly a dozen minions with buffs and debuffs, keeping them alive, using them to keep me alive, body blocking... I just love the class ^ ^

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898
    Originally posted by Painlezz

DAOC is really hard to play now as the interface and controls are just bad compared to modern standards.

I keep hearing this on this forum and I don't understand...

DAoC has the exact same default controls as any other modern MMO. On top of that, you can fully remap the keys or choose from 5 different control schemes. And the UI is 100% moddable. (yeah, WoW didn't come up with that one either). What makes DAoC really hard to play is that they've removed almost all of what made the game great in the past, added instances, and Bioware has started to put in some of their BS quests.

And yes, I'd say Vanguard or Dark Age had the best necro class.

• BademBadem Member Posts: 830

Vanguard - Traditional Necromancer, very Everquest style. Some of the spells look like crud (they do for other classes as well, not just this one) but the versitility of the class makes up for it. Great solo, even greater in a group. If the reason you like necro is because of older MMOs then this is the one you want. Has a persistent pet, has limited duration minions available along side that, can create pets from enemies they have killed, can change into various forms (such as a Lich) and has necromancer only gear called Grafts which are used to equip and customize your persistent pet. This one is leagues above all the others.

Vanguard Necro rocked, the pets were pretty awesome and your abomination grafts looked great too. Nothing worse than a Necro running into an army of mobs, aggroing the entire group with the pet, allowing the party to sneak by then Feign Death to lose aggro when everyone was clear.

Using spells to drain life from enemies and grant it to your pet, Bone spears to the knees certainly worked and Necro just looked pure evil riding around on a Hellhound rather than those goodie two shows paladins on their bloody Unicorns......

• AisriythAisriyth Member Posts: 9

1) DAoC: Midgard Bonedancer

2) DAoC: Albion Necromancer

3) EQ1: Necromancer

That is my top 3. Absolutely loved the Bonedancer and Necromancer in DAoC.

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Aisriyth

1) DAoC: Midgard Bonedancer

2) DAoC: Albion Necromancer

3) EQ1: Necromancer

That is my top 3. Absolutely loved the Bonedancer and Necromancer in DAoC.

I will second the DAoC classes -- both are intriguing and relatively unique implementations of pet classes.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by Larloch

Which MMO has the best Necromancer class? If you want you can list and rank the ones you have played. Explaining why would be great. Thanks guys.

My opinion would be EQ1, no contest.

So many ways to play the class.  DoT + Fear + Pet, Tap-Tanking..

All said and done I'm pretty sure I had the most fun on my Necro in EQ1 over any other class.  Druid quad kiting the dwarfs at the Butcherblock docks was hella fun, but the Necro was a beast.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

WoW's equivalent of a necromancer - the warlock - is quite fun too.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• VahraneVahrane Member UncommonPosts: 376

While I loved EQ and its necros were fearsome I'd have to say that Vanguard necros have always seemed more fun. Unlike EQ necros they have access to multiple pets at once and take the body parts of mobs, like skin grafts (mentioned by 1!! Only 1! poster earlier) as well as other limbs, of differing qualities with different bonuses and REALLY make your pet. WTH is with all the necro players that haven't touched Vanguard? Seriously? 

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Dragim

I would say Everquest, because it was a heck of a lot of fun and they had usefulness (well, at least in the beginning) besides just being damage output.

My corpse is lost, can someone help me find it?!

Can someone summon my corpse for me?

Necro was so so so valuable.

Agreed.. I think EQ1 had the best of many classes.. classes back then were role defining, not this homoganized stuff we have now..  Fear kiting was an art.. lol  along with what Necro's did in general..

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

Hands down the answer is Everquest 1

Chamber of Chains
  • ltankltank Member UncommonPosts: 293

I loved my EQ1 necro. The versatility was just awesome.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Vanguard has the best Necro so far.
    Necros can be improved in any mmo but Vanguard is quite advanced how it plays and is able to upgrade its pet.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM