Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I get to play the next weekend beta....

LukekiniLukekini Member UncommonPosts: 75

So I was able to procure one of the many beta keys from curse. I am on the edge of buying any game these days..so many bad releases lately so exploring as many options as I can before I purchase anything.

My question is really for those who have played a few beta events already..

What should I do when I log in? As in, the best path to take to get a good/full experience for the little play time I will have?

- ya I'm here

Comments

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I would say try out every class at least to 10 to get a feel for what there is to play. Remember you can right click on your collectable items like wood/mining materials etc. and send it to your bank.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• ThrashbargThrashbarg Member Posts: 125

That depends on you. 

Do you like PvP? You can do that right away.

Do you like exploring? Head out and do some. Kill some things to level your weapon skills and get used to the combat.

Best is so subjective it's impossible for anyone else to tell you. To a large extent you can play GW2 pretty much however you want.

• satire3rdsatire3rd Member Posts: 16

Congratulations on getting a key for the beta.

To experience what GW2 has to offer, then you need to get out of the mindset of "taking a path" of any sorts. The best way to experience it is to just go out there with your character and explore. Things will happen naturally, and you will find yourself getting involved with the game world, and the people in it.

To try and follow a path (Unless you're following your personal story) will make you miss a lot of what is on offer. So just forget about old habbits gained from playing your previous MMO's and let your character find the world and it's offerings.

Hope you have fun in the beta!

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

Just dive in and enjoy yourself. Don't play the game like a theme park. If an NPC is talking, listen to them. Then talk to them, they will usually point you in the direction of a quest or even start a dynamic event. If someone is beckoning at you, stop and talk to them. When you finish an event, stick around and listen to what is going on, many times another event will start depending on the outcome of the last!

Just enjoy the world and explore around. You will get the most experience this way. Simply running around and just completing the Renown Hearts is not the "meat of the game" nor is it enough experience to get to the next level of content.

I think the main reason people do not enjoy this game is they are playing it incorrectly. Or they are too focused on just "getting to the end", when it is the journey that is the point. Immerse yourself and try to go into the game with an open mind on how it plays. You will be surprised and hopefully enjoy yourself.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

Here is what I would do... First pick the class you think you'll likely enjoy the most..

then level up your weapon skill sets, try to get level 8-10 in PvE, jsut get a feel for it (Asura/Sylvari will be packed this BWE, so try one of the other 3 races for a less-zergy starter zone).

Then, if you want to try PvP, go jump into WvW, check the WvW map and see where the action is and go through the Asura gate in your main city. Once you get there, look on your map, and try to get a feel for the lay-out on the map, and see where most the action is, also watch the chat, lots of good info there on where fights are. Maybe try rollin around with the zerg for a good hour or two, the once you get the feel for PvP try soloing or finding a small group... Pretty much what i'm saying is don't follow the zerg all day, it gets repedetive like any zerg does. Try some different things, try SPvP, you should have plenty of time to do all this (so long as you don't fall inlove with WvW).

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• AqueAque Member Posts: 118

1. Explore and adventure the area's - If you dont fully explore them you miss stuff!

2. PVP - Unless you dont like to PVP but atleast try it!

3. Dont stop!

Yup thats about it...(Dungeons are included in the explore and adventure part)

• LukekiniLukekini Member UncommonPosts: 75

Wow thanks for all of the advice!

I do enjoy PvP, and in GW it was the first thing I enjoyed. But that does not take away from my PvE as well which I enjoy a lot as well. So if anything I would be in the middle, but lean more towards PvP.

Basically I should rush to 10 and jump into some PvP action?

- ya I'm here

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683
    Originally posted by Lukekini

So I was able to procure one of the many beta keys from curse. I am on the edge of buying any game these days..so many bad releases lately so exploring as many options as I can before I purchase anything.

What should I do when I log in? As in, the best path to take to get a good/full experience for the little play time I will have?

Best advice: Don't worry about it.

I had the MOST fun in BWE when I stopped worrying about "WHat's teh best route to progression" and started going "Holy crap, I wonder what's over that hill...oh cool!"

And I levelled faster, oddly enough.

I would suggest try to get about level 10 for 2-3 profressions you think you're going to like, and try a bit of everything. PvE, PS quests, WvW...see what the game has to offer.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Just play the game and have fun. There is really no right or wrong way to play it.

• HellSingsHellSings Member Posts: 185

I do enjoy PvP, and in GW it was the first thing I enjoyed. But that does not take away from my PvE as well which I enjoy a lot as well. So if anything I would be in the middle, but lean more towards PvP.

There are two forms of PvP: sPvP which does not require any level, everyone is lvl 80 with preset gear and unlocked traits. This form of pvp cannot be used to level up.

The other is: WvW or World versus World. This is where people from 3 different servers battle it out on 4 maps. It's entirely possible to level up from 5-80 just by WvW.

Basically it depends on you. Any level is viable in WvW because it's based on teamwork. I know alot of alliances who will get into WvW from the get go, maybe thats something you should look into.

• AqueAque Member Posts: 118

Really no need to rush, I mean you can if you want. But if you explore the area you start in, youll hit 10 in no time :D

Enjoy the PvP!!!

GW2 is made to play the way YOU want to, so how ever you want to play it you can. I love random adventuring and finding events or quests randomly. I am no longer told where to go :D    (Thats what I like about it - AND the PvP)

• LukekiniLukekini Member UncommonPosts: 75

Just wanted to clarify my question a bit.. It is not about power leveling.. or whatever.. It is more of a general perspective of the game. Not the fastest way to level or best class to play.

My request is more like experiencing the fullest* experience possible of what GW2 has to offer. What would show off GW2 best from a PvP and a PvE perspective?

For example, I see many  here discounting negative reviews based off the fact that someone did not even get their butt out of the starting zone, which could/probably be an important factor.

*fullest not full!

- ya I'm here

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

Just don't do what I did - don't rush ahead. Rushing slows you down, lol.

There's nothing wrong with starting zones, IMO... I've only got a peek at the 15+ zone and I had a blast.

BWE's are long, just stick around and take it slow, you'll figure it out.

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578
    Originally posted by MattVid

Just dive in and enjoy yourself. Don't play the game like a theme park. If an NPC is talking, listen to them. Then talk to them, they will usually point you in the direction of a quest or even start a dynamic event. If someone is beckoning at you, stop and talk to them. When you finish an event, stick around and listen to what is going on, many times another event will start depending on the outcome of the last!

Just enjoy the world and explore around. You will get the most experience this way. Simply running around and just completing the Renown Hearts is not the "meat of the game" nor is it enough experience to get to the next level of content.

I think the main reason people do not enjoy this game is they are playing it incorrectly. Or they are too focused on just "getting to the end", when it is the journey that is the point. Immerse yourself and try to go into the game with an open mind on how it plays. You will be surprised and hopefully enjoy yourself.

/

This is some good info..

Dont be in a hurry and just have fun!

Once you get out and start adventuring around you will stumble into all kinds of stuff..

Playing GW2..

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Just wanted to clarify my question a bit.. It is not about power leveling.. or whatever.. It is more of a general perspective of the game. Not the fastest way to level or best class to play.

My request is more like experiencing the fullest* experience possible of what GW2 has to offer. What would show off GW2 best from a PvP and a PvE perspective?

For example, I see many  here discounting negative reviews based off the fact that someone did not even get their butt out of the starting zone, which could/probably be an important factor.

*fullest not full!

Your question has literally been answered I believe.

Just explore and do what you want when you play, when I say explore that would be moving out of one zone and etc. 

You can PVP once you get out the starter zone btw.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

No need to rush to 10. Just go to the mists as soon as you get done with the tutorial area. From there you can set up/see/learn skills and traits ect as if you where a level 80. Then join structured PvP and keep your level 80 stuff or join WvWvW and stay level 80 and have 80HP but have your level 1 skills.

Point being there is no "best path". The "best path" is doing whatever you want and figuring out if the game mechanics work for what you want.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

First thing I would say is don't rush.  Slow down a little, take your time, look around, and kill some stuff.  There is plenty to do and many things are easy to miss even walking at a fast pace (in terms of progression).  If you just take your time in PvE, things just flow naturally.  It's quite amazing, actually, just how natural it feels once you slow down and just "go with the flow, man!".

Once you've done a bit of that (by which time you'll probably be to about level 10ish), jump into the PvP areas.  Also, definitely don't forget WvWvW if you like large scale Capture the Flag type PvP.  I'm not big no PvP, but I'm already addicted to WvWvW.  :)

Most of all, enjoy yourself.

Oh, and don't forget to try some crafting.

And caves.  Explore caves.

And the diving platform near Lion's Arch.  That thing is just cool!

And...well, you get the picture.  :)

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• frogtownfrogtown Member UncommonPosts: 59

Just try a little of everything. Avoid doing just one thing like only doing heart quests etc. Sometimes you find the most interesting things by accident. You might see an NPC and think it is there as part of the scenery, but if you talk to them and pay attention to what is going on around them you might discover an entire chain of events. And the best advice people have been saying and I will repeat, TAKE YOUR TIME! People get in such a hurry to see as much as possible that they actually miss the best parts of the game.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

If it's your first beta, what I'd highly recommend is the following:

1) Try and explore, search for things you haven't done yet, and if you don't enjoy a certain character or weapon, try a new character or weapon.

2) Each race's starter area has a completely different vibe. Some people roll one race, and don't like the starter area, but absolutely love another races'. (And you are not obligated to stay in any races' starter area)

3) Be vocal, ask for help! If you are curious about something, or have trouble finding something, ask in chat. Just be mature / civil about it.

***** I would highly recommend rolling on Maguuma for this last one, unless you know people on another server. Maguuma is where most of the MMORPG people are, and they have a guild there that can help you out. ******

- Try and have fun. If you give the game a fair shot, you will find that there is so much to do, that it's overwhelming. You simply won't have time to experience everything in beta, and could spend the entire weekend in one zone, and still miss some of the content.

The game won't be for everyone, there are some people who wrote this game off, because they simply weren't allowing themselves to see what's different with this game. I'd hate to see you become one of those people.

Keep in mind that GW2 has a LOT of different ways to play it. If you are trying to play it a certain way, and are not having fun, don't just assume that that's all there is to do. Try doing something else, or approaching your current activity in a different way. It's not unlike an amusement park. If you spend all you're time hating on the tea cup ride, and then assume that the rest of the park is the same, you will be very mistaken. Explore.