Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard to sell gold on the RMAH... the end is nigh!

Comments

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by xenogias

I would rather it stay illegal so less people do it and the ones that do still have to deal with thier accounts being hacked ect.

How well has that approach worked over the past 15 years?

Still prefer hacks & never ending fight against boters, farmers and exploters  than RMAH.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    I can understand buying games and subscription for new content in an ever evolving gaming world. I just can't understand how people can spend real money for imaginary items.

I don't really understand why some people "dont' understand".

Do you pay money for a game? Are you paying for something imaginary? No. You are paying for an experience.

When people pay for "virtual items" they are paying for access to whatever those items provide in the game.

When you pay for a concert you are paying for an experience. Same with a play.

If you were to log into a game and whatever gear you had vanished you wouldn't say "oh, that's ok they were imaginary". You would be pissed because those items have value in relation to the game.

These items are very real in relation to whatever game they belong to.

The real question is why people pay so much for items instead of playing the game and earning them during normal game play.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    I can understand buying games and subscription for new content in an ever evolving gaming world. I just can't understand how people can spend real money for imaginary items.

I don't really understand why some people "dont' understand".

Do you pay money for a game? Are you paying for something imaginary? No. You are paying for an experience.

When people pay for "virtual items" they are paying for access to whatever those items provide in the game.

When you pay for a concert you are paying for an experience. Same with a play.

If you were to log into a game and whatever gear you had vanished you wouldn't say "oh, that's ok they were imaginary". You would be pissed because those items have value in relation to the game.

These items are very real in relation to whatever game they belong to.

The real question is why people pay so much for items instead of playing the game and earning them during normal game play.

No mystery there. People want to play at max level as fast as possible, because "the endgame is best" and "I can't be competitive in PVP unless I have the best gear". 

When the progression part of MMORPG's (i.e. level 1->levelcap) came to be seen as the major roadblock to having fun, people decided to use any means possible to get to "endgame" in the shortest possible time. Why eat the cake if you can just skip to eating the cherries on top ?

If some developer makes an MMO where you can buy a max level character on day one, they will probably make a fortune. I don't really understand why any developer still bothers to spend 3 years creating starting zones and tons of content for people to level-up, when most players blow through all that effort in a month, and then complain loudly about the "lack of endgame content"...

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

As long as we gamers keep showering them with money, what do you expect them to do? It's a business, isn's it.

Most of you bought the game the same day it launched. WTH, most of you bought the game BEFORE it launched. Many did not even try a demo whatsover.

Some of us just sit back and check what ppl have to say on forums and such before making a decision. My decision in this case was "I don't like how this RMAH is done and where it is going, so Blizzard won't see my money this time". And, see, I don't have a problem with D3's RMAH.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    Originally posted by zymurgeist

He's got it wrong. They'll be releasing the abitity for players to buy and SELL gold and commmodities through the RMAH. Blizzard won't be selling anything. Oh and on commodities Blizzard gets 15% on each auction and 15% to cash out given to paypal.  That was always the plan. They announced it months ago. So if you're just getting mad now you're late.

yeah ,blizz wont sell "items or gold" on ah to make profit................................

im 100% sure :rolleyes:

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by gordiflu

As long as we gamers keep showering them with money, what do you expect them to do? It's a business, isn's it.

Most of you bought the game the same day it launched. WTH, most of you bought the game BEFORE it launched. Many did not even try a demo whatsover.

Some of us just sit back and check what ppl have to say on forums and such before making a decision. My decision in this case was "I don't like how this RMAH is done and where it is going, so Blizzard won't see my money this time". And, see, I don't have a problem with D3's RMAH.

And i have no regret pre-ordering it. It is a fun game, and the RMAH works pretty well. I like it .. it is better than the gold Ah because I don't have to worry about hyper inflation. I sold a few items and pump the money back to upgrades .. no complaints from me.

I don't usually pre-order game .. but it is D3.

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

Who says they want to make money from the auction house? Not Blizzard, they said quite the opposite. Most people just missed that because they were too busy yelling about the auction house. Prices are going down because the game is being flooded with items. Everything they have done is to increase the supply of items and decrease inflation of gold. If you look at the items that are selling it's mostly  in the 6-10 dollar range. The 60 -100 dollar range items are the rarest or don't sell at all. When the auction house forst opened people were trying to sell mediocre items for $250.

The 15% cut from all the auctions say that want to make money.  It's common sense that they would want to make money from it, if they said anything different then they are blowing smoke up your @$$.  They are a business they entire purpose is to make money.

It's coming to every battlenet game. They're murdering the RMT black market. Goldsellers are giving up farming in D3.

Gold farmers own the general chat now, I wish they would give up.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Berikai

Imo it's looking more and more like Blizz is just using D3 as an experiment to see how real money auctions would go over when they release Titan.Set the groundwork and see how people accept it,then take it further in the next mmo.

It's the future unfortunately imo,but I guess greed has no bound's.

absolutely just look at our economy. it is a test it's become obvious now.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

$1 per item is what they make. Common sense is rarely common and almost never sensible. Their purpose is to make money. They do it by selling games.

There is currently one gold spammer in general chat and 96 people ignoring him. There used to be so many you couldn't even see the crap rolling by.

Re-read the auction house Q&A.  If you keep it as blizzard cash and only spend it with them then they do not charge you 15%, if you move it to paypal then they charge you 15%.

Last time I played general chat was unusable.  They fixed it for a little bit but then the spammers came back... what makes you think they won't be back again?

Forum post on 15% cut on auctions: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5978860394?page=1

and from their offical website:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/guide/items/auction-house#fees

Before you post your auction, you’ll see any fees that apply to your listing displayed in the center section of the Sell tab. These fees will only be charged if your auction successfully sells, and will automatically be deducted from the item’s final selling price.

For Equipment (weapons, armor, accessories, and other unique items)
    * Transaction Fee (Real-Money Auction House): $1.00 USD per item / $1.00 AUD per item
    * Transfer Fee (when sending proceeds to PayPal or other authorized payment-service provider): 15% of amount being transferred

For Commodities (gems, materials, dyes, pages, recipes, and other non-unique items)
    * Transaction Fee (Real-Money Auction House): 15% of final sale price
    * Transfer Fee (when sending proceeds to PayPal or other authorized payment-service provider): 15% of amount being transferred

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Thank you Blizzard for saving us from the black pixel market. Thank you Blizz for charging your die hard fans $36 or what ever it is to watch Blizzcon over the net.

Blizz your unselfish generosity towards your loyal fanbase never  cease's to amaze me.

ROFL

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Except Blizzard doesn't get 15%. Paypal gets most of it as part of their agreement not to hold Blizzard liable for chargebacks and customer fraud on game items. Since so many people do not try to cash out but just use their  profits to buy game items on the auction house they never pay the 15% anyway. It's not a moneymaker for Blizzard.

Link or proof?  From other transactions paypal only charges 2-3% but we have no idea how much blizzard gets, why are you claiming that you know?  Seriously stop being a tool bro, blizzard is in it to make money and if they are not making money from RMAH then they will change it so that they are.

They didn't make their money by just selling games, they made it with subs and other services.   They are looking for a revenue stream and RMAH is that source.  How else are they going to pay for the constant patches and balance tweaks?

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by sapphen

$1 per item is what they make. Common sense is rarely common and almost never sensible. Their purpose is to make money. They do it by selling games.

There is currently one gold spammer in general chat and 96 people ignoring him. There used to be so many you couldn't even see the crap rolling by.

Re-read the auction house Q&A.  If you keep it as blizzard cash and only spend it with them then they do not charge you 15%, if you move it to paypal then they charge you 15%.

Last time I played general chat was unusable.  They fixed it for a little bit but then the spammers came back... what makes you think they won't be back again?

Forum post on 15% cut on auctions: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5978860394?page=1

Before you post your auction, you’ll see any fees that apply to your listing displayed in the center section of the Sell tab. These fees will only be charged if your auction successfully sells, and will automatically be deducted from the item’s final selling price.

* Transaction Fee (Real-Money Auction House): $1.00 USD per item / $1.00 AUD per item

For Commodities (gems, materials, dyes, pages, recipes, and other non-unique items)

Except Blizzard doesn't get 15%. Paypal gets most of it as part of their agreement not to hold Blizzard liable for chargebacks and customer fraud on game items. Since so many people do not try to cash out but just use their  profits to buy game items on the auction house they never pay the 15% anyway. It's not a moneymaker for Blizzard.

LOL do you honestly believe that the RMAH is not a moneymaker for Blizzard?  Really?

I just read in the OP's article that Blizzard takes $1 out of EVERY TRANSACTION involving an equippable item.  And remember, trading items on the AH takes NO WORK on Blizz's part.  Once they set up the AH, it's just a money making machine.  How can you honestly say that the RMAH isn't a moneymaker after knowing this?

And in your previous post I saw you saying that Blizz has "murdered" the gold selling black market with it's legitimate RMT.  That's like a government saying that it has completely stopped illegal gun trafficking by making every gun legal.  Great success lol.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

You seem like an intelligent person, but some of your statements just seem completely naive.

Link or proof?  From other transactions paypal only charges 2-3% but we have no idea how much blizzard gets, why are you claiming that you know?  Seriously stop being a tool bro, blizzard is in it to make money and if they are not making money from RMAH then they will change it so that they are.

They didn't make their money by just selling games, they made it with subs and other services.   They are looking for a revenue stream and RMAH is that source.  How else are they going to pay for the constant patches and balance tweaks?

Hilarious isnt it.

15% is highway robbery. Credit card companies charge businesses about 2% on transactions and I'm sure they have to deal with as much chargebacks, fraud and a miriad of other problems. In the end they still make money hand over fist.

• GorelikGorelik Member UncommonPosts: 13

He's got it wrong. They'll be releasing the abitity for players to buy and SELL gold and commmodities through the RMAH. Blizzard won't be selling anything. Oh and on commodities Blizzard gets 15% on each auction and 15% to cash out given to paypal.  That was always the plan. They announced it months ago. So if you're just getting mad now you're late.

Very naive fanboyism.

Diablo 3 auction house is anonymous. You never know who the seller is.

Why Blizzard wont sell and get the 100% profit ? Is just a cash shop disguised as AH.

The next MMO will be awesome. Until people reach the end game.

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

... the same way you use your logic to pay real money to play imaginary stories (games.

Did I made that clear for you, or you need further explanation ?

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Why does it matter what percent Blizzard gets? If you start with zero and you receive 85%, that is more than zero.

Sounds to me the true GREEDY ones are the people complaining. Just don't play then and leave the 'paltry" 85% to those that aren't as greedy as you...

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608

Why are you all so shocked and mortified? is it because blizzard are doing it?

CCP has been doing htis for years, but instead it has a middle ground called a PLEX. By the PLEX from website, get it in game and sell it for ingame currency, pretty much the same darn thing.

Originally posted by laserit

Hilarious isnt it.

15% is highway robbery. Credit card companies charge businesses about 2% on transactions and I'm sure they have to deal with as much chargebacks, fraud and a miriad of other problems. In the end they still make money hand over fist.

When you add in merchant fees, swipe fees, fraud, and other costs it can run as much as 150% to as low as 5% depending on the transaction size. The markup in stores is 35% on average to over 300% depending on the item. So how is 15%, most of which paypal gets, highway robbery?  You're "sure" they make money hand over fist but it's peanuts compared to what they make from game sales. So what business are you in because I'm in retail. I deal with this every day.

I'm a partner in a manufacturing and fabricating business, I pay freelance salesmen 8% commission and they take care of their own expenses and they do very well for themselves.

We also sell certain widgets to the public and take credit and debit cards, the credit card companies take 2.25% of the sale as their transaction fee. I'd like to see them try and take 15% as I could guess as to what business's would tell them they could do with their card's.

Your right about retail markup's, retail can be a tough business. Some merchant's have to sell things at 300% to be able to make a profit, You wouldnt believe the rent that some of them have to pay $50-$60 a square foot is not uncommon and depending on location it could be a lot more then that.

To put it bluntly 15% is highway robbery, it's a leagal racket, Just like charging young dumbass's over 50% interest on a payday loan.

• BanaghranBanaghran Member Posts: 869
    Originally posted by laserit

Hilarious isnt it.

When you add in merchant fees, swipe fees, fraud, and other costs it can run as much as 150% to as low as 5% depending on the transaction size. The markup in stores is 35% on average to over 300% depending on the item. So how is 15%, most of which paypal gets, highway robbery?  You're "sure" they make money hand over fist but it's peanuts compared to what they make from game sales. So what business are you in because I'm in retail. I deal with this every day.

So when i put up something on the ah, i will get gold/money regardless of it selling? I wont. That is not a retailer. They are providing a service, like banks or brokers. A <10% fee would be much more appropriate. They already have the money people have on the battle.net balance, it would not be off topic to ask for people with a certain amount of cash there to pay no fees at all, you know, like a real bank, comes with the territory...

And it is not peanuts either, every time someone buys or sells a item on the rmah, someone had to give blizz the money first.

Flame on!

:)

How much of a fee is appropriate depends on overhead. Doing a lot of small transactions carries a high overhead. The money goes in the money goes out. The volume, size, and percentages of these transactions are peanuts.  

So not only do you know how much the paypal and blizzard split is, you also know how much their overhead is?  Dude you don't know how much they spend or make.  WHAT MONEY IS GOING OUT!?  They only thing they are spending money on is a team that works on the patches.   Small transactions does not effect them because it's taking place on their network, the customer cashes out to paypal and the customer pays those fees.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

hmm .. guys .. read their FAQ.

Blizz is not geting 15% on teh RMAH. It is getting $1 per transaction. It is 1% for a $100 item, and 10% for a $10 one.

15% only applies to commodity in the RMAH.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026
    Originally posted by 7star
    Originally posted by Souldrainer
    Originally posted by Berikai

Imo it's looking more and more like Blizz is just using D3 as an experiment to see how real money auctions would go over when they release Titan.Set the groundwork and see how people accept it,then take it further in the next mmo.

It's the future unfortunately imo,but I guess greed has no bound's.

In my assessment, you are on the right track, but the situation is more grim than you think. In part, the game is a litmus test, but it's mostly a boiling frog experiment to indoctrinate the masses to new marketing schemes without them noticing. They are trying to kill off the buy-and-play model of payment, in favor of an always-on pyramid marketing scam that makes money 24/7. Instead of handing out these glowing 9/10 and 10/10 reviews, the gaming media should be up in arms over this. Instead, they are showering the game with praise. It's as if Lex Luthor started calling himself Superman, and nobody in power cares.

And what's interesting for me is that I've learned a lot about how the media works in general vis a vis corporate sponsors and cozy relationships with governmental and non-governmental entities. In order to maintain access to these sources, "journalists" do not wish to offend them, hence, the disservice we see gaming dedicated sites doing to consumers is mirrored in that being done by our so-called "free press" to citizens in democratic societies. 

When logical arguments are brought up in criticism of this status quo, you get the insulting defenders who use argumentum ad hominem, name calling, and basic e-thuggery , trying to beat down criticism by labeling it as "whining" (similar to the mindsets of brownshirts in a historical context, perhaps) to support their masters. Of course, this is not to say that every complaining post is valid, but I have seen very eloquent, intelligent, and relevent posts dismissed out of hand by apparent morons, who barely know how to type.

Not only applied to D3, but to games in general, is the vast scale of dumbing down and limits on options (just taking character creation and specialization as one example). One could argue that is merely a reflection of how society is changing, in forcing standardization, conformity, and homogonization on us -- all to milk us of our hard earned cash,aka our life's energy rendered in fungible form.

So the mmorpg sphere is an interesting little microcosm.

EDIT: Obviously, if a media source is  "free" for consumers, that source is working to advertise and promote for its biggest sponsors. So any articles written in such sources have to be read in that light, whether it's this site or CNN.  Good intelligence (information) costs money and/or time spent researching. Otherwise, you are getting someone else's agenda all for "free."

It took you getting cozy with gov and non gov agencies to figure this one out?

They chose the wrong person to get cozy with. 

Originally posted by nariusseldon

hmm .. guys .. read their FAQ.

Blizz is not geting 15% on teh RMAH. It is getting $1 per transaction. It is 1% for a $100 item, and 10% for a $10 one.

15% only applies to commodity in the RMAH.

Actually you should reread their FAQ, they get 15% when you transfere it to paypal.  On commodities they get 15% at sale and then another 15% when transfering.