Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New content updates on a monthly basis for The Secret world.

Comments

• BerikaiBerikai Member Posts: 162

If they can update every month or even every other I'll be a very very happy camper!

• plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397

The man certainly paints a pretty picture!

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by colddog04

People's lack of trust in them being able to get out monthly updates might have something to do with their release date being extended by ~2 weeks as well. 

And I'm quite sure that if the game was released on the original date, that lack of trust would have been abundantly justified, due to the state of the game at that point.

BUT, they did a phenominal amount of work in those few extra weeks, and the game at launch was totally stable and playable. They may yet drop the ball, but so far it's looking like they're putting a huge effort into doing things differently. 

Some people will never let go. If every single member of the Funcom staff, management and directors resigned and were replaced by others, some people would still say: "But it's Funcom".

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Some people will never let go. If every single member of the Funcom staff, management and directors resigned and were replaced by others, some people would still say: "But it's Funcom".

Usually those people never played a Funcom game.  They just like drama.

• MizzmoMizzmo Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Originally posted by manakana

So classical. The developers of DCUO and Rift wanted the same thing. (monthly updates) 

We'll see how things go :)

LOL that is what I was thinking. Yeah....lets see how that goes......  But, TSW is off to a better start than both of those games so we might actually see it. But yeah....don't put all of your eggs in that basket!

• nGumballnGumball Member Posts: 21

Lol, I can see how this will go down in these forums....

Funcom announces monthly content updates.

Usual suspects post: "Hahaha ! You fools actually believe this ? It's Funcom, after all"

End July: FC delivers first content pack on schedule.

Usual suspects post: "Oh, it's much too little. And this wiil be the last thing you'll see from them. It's Funcom, after all"

End August: FC delivers second content pack on schedule.

Usual suspects post: "Oh, they're just fooling you. This is stuff they held back from release. It's Funcom, after all"

End September: FC delivers third content pack on schedule.

Usual suspects post: "Man, can you believe this sh1t ? The fanbois are still giving FC money for content they should have received at launch. Funcom, is duping them, and they're too dumb to realise it. Typical Funcom move."

And over on the GW2 forums: "Hey guyz, Anet just made the first DLC pack available ! They truly are amazing, always deliver on their promises..."

I have been a fan of TSW since release. However, there is no company nd I mean it, no company in the world that can keep this promise if we ignore the fact that the packs may be kinda of mini nd in that case it will work.

I have been working in the mmo-industry for years nd there´s none that can keep a promise that huge, if we consider the monthly updates to be huge and '' AMAZING ''. So the reslut will be one of 3:

1. The promise won´t be kept

2. The promise will be kept but the updates will be mini-packs nd not as amazing as everyone think

3. They released the game uncomplete to give these packs later. However I consider all the content in this case done or kinda done by now but they release it from now to then to keep subs.

I consider it as a really great idea btw. However, if the case isn´t as I mentioned it in the third point, we won´t prob get great updates the whole time because there is no gaming company with the ability to create so much content during so short time.

On the other hand, my respect to Funcorn is growing everyday ;)

• GargolaGargola Member Posts: 356

People probably shouldn't be mixing the ideas presented by the GM as one big pack of monthly stuff.

Note that he specifically mentions new missions by the end of July, not the new zones and the rest.  There's mention of some other ideas, but it's not (as he states there clearly) a full fledged implementation of all,nor most of what he talks about there, each month.

Expect reasonable monthly updates, with probably an "expansion" worth of content deployed during a full year, in a month by month basis.  Not an expanshion each month, nor anything like that.

• BerikaiBerikai Member Posts: 162
    Originally posted by nGumball

Usual suspects post: "Hahaha ! You fools actually believe this ? It's Funcom, after all"

Usual suspects post: "Oh, it's much too little. And this wiil be the last thing you'll see from them. It's Funcom, after all"

Usual suspects post: "Oh, they're just fooling you. This is stuff they held back from release. It's Funcom, after all"

Usual suspects post: "Man, can you believe this sh1t ? The fanbois are still giving FC money for content they should have received at launch. Funcom, is duping them, and they're too dumb to realise it. Typical Funcom move."

And over on the GW2 forums: "Hey guyz, Anet just made the first DLC pack available ! They truly are amazing, always deliver on their promises..."

I have been a fan of TSW since release. However, there is no company nd I mean it, no company in the world that can keep this promise if we ignore the fact that the packs may be kinda of mini nd in that case it will work.

I have been working in the mmo-industry for years nd there´s none that can keep a promise that huge, if we consider the monthly updates to be huge and '' AMAZING ''. So the reslut will be one of 3:

1. The promise won´t be kept

2. The promise will be kept but the updates will be mini-packs nd not as amazing as everyone think

3. They released the game uncomplete to give these packs later. However I consider all the content in this case done or kinda done by now but they release it from now to then to keep subs.

I consider it as a really great idea btw. However, if the case isn´t as I mentioned it in the third point, we won´t prob get great updates the whole time because there is no gaming company with the ability to create so much content during so short time.

On the other hand, my respect to Funcorn is growing everyday ;)

The scenario I think may play out is,that they release small (mini) packs monthly for 3-4 month's and then go to bigger updates but maybe 8-12 weeks apart.

the smaller packs, on a monthly basis, work better for them than bigger every two months, from all perspectives.

First, it gives them good word of mouth for putting things out relatively fast (provided it's good content) and reduces the potential of huge bugs to be introduced.  The more you add 8in term of elements and data) the more can go wrong.

It also gives a continuous, month after month, incentive for people to remain subbed.  If there are gaps more people might feel compeled to "unsub for now" and check back later.  Which ends up in an important part of those getting dragged away by something shiny that was around.

Since some years ago Ragnar has been talking about TSW and future developments in terms more similar to a TV series than a game, so this fits the plan he laid out back then: TSW as an episodic serial, with "seasons" and stories that are unfolded that way, form start to a cliffhanger finish.

Of course bigger stuff like a whole new area will mean some of those monthly updates are simply bigger, not cause they focused on that month, but cause the ongoing work on those bigger things got ready to be deployed by then.

Let's see how it all goes.  If they pull this anywhere near to what they plan, the sub price will be more than worth it, and even a lifetime sub, considering how much a single player game costs and how many hours of content they usually have.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by GnatBug

Oh look ...lol

Star Trek Online all over again .... Dont developers ever learn!

They launch a game with no content and promis more content which will blow your mind! ..BUT ..you will have to renew your sub ...Wink Wink ..

to see it in August .. ROFL come on poeple we smarter than this !

Paying for monthly content is surely a reason to pay a sub? I mean I have a sub for WoW and that thing hasn't had anything happen since they added deathwing, that was about 9 months ago now.

The launch has been great, the game is fun and now they are promising more, all we can do is wait and see if they deliver, if they don't then all you need to do to cancel your sub is to press about 3 buttons on the internet.

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

I am really loving The Secret World. I will pay and pay and pay if they really keep to this schedule.

However im not holding my breadth....this is funcom people

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

Originally posted by Gargola

People probably shouldn't be mixing the ideas presented by the GM as one big pack of monthly stuff.

Note that he specifically mentions new missions by the end of July, not the new zones and the rest.  There's mention of some other ideas, but it's not (as he states there clearly) a full fledged implementation of all,nor most of what he talks about there, each month.

Expect reasonable monthly updates, with probably an "expansion" worth of content deployed during a full year, in a month by month basis.  Not an expanshion each month, nor anything like that.

You are correct and anyone with a brain can also read the post and surely tell that the game is going to recieve small monthly updates that contain fun events and new missions. Other things will ofcourse come along but it all won't come every single month.

I think the fact that you even have to clarify this for people is pretty depressing.

• TerrorizorTerrorizor Member Posts: 326

• HarttzHarttz Member Posts: 91

If they release their first pack on July 31st as promised and it is solid then I am definitely going to buy this game.  I enjoyed the beta but held off on pre-ordering because I didn't want to get stuck with an unfinished and poorly supported game but this is really promising.  Investigation quests are the best part of the game so if they release 5+ of them per month (they said at least 1 for each zone in each monthly pack, right?) then this game will be worth a longterm sub.  Throw in a raid every few months and new zones to extend the story fairly regularly and I will be a loyal player for a long time.

• MindsweepMindsweep Member Posts: 8

Looking forward to see what they will give us in TSW. 

There biggest problem right now tho, is the chat system.....need to fix this!!

• TerronteTerronte Member Posts: 321

Mission packs sounds like something you buy in their cash shop...Doesn't sound like a content update...

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

Lol, you are spot on :P. Nvidia is also backing the secret world to show off features of their graphics cards, so there are also other sources where funcom gets money for the secret world development.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    Originally posted by Terronte

Mission packs sounds like something you buy in their cash shop...Doesn't sound like a content update...

You are thinking of GW2 :P.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

Ragnar already confirmed it's not going to be put in the cash shop. But yeah, i also imagined that.

• JohnnymmoJohnnymmo Member Posts: 99
    So had the CS cost you anything? I thought not. If some people want to buy clothes for cash then thats fine by me

Unless you actually read Ragnar's post and see he specifically mentions that all this is covered by the monthly fee of the subscription.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

I think a lot of that stuff is mostly done, so they should be able to space it out over the next few months.

What happens in 4-6 months? I doubt it will be monthly updates of any real content. "The update for Oct adds 4 new hats... See we told you we would keep giving you updates each month." :P

Or they keep adding stuff in monthly form, instead of going for full fledged expansions.

Originally posted by Ryowulf

I think a lot of that stuff is mostly done, so they should be able to space it out over the next few months.

What happens in 4-6 months? I doubt it will be monthly updates of any real content. "The update for Oct adds 4 new hats... See we told you we would keep giving you updates each month." :P

Man some people, did Ragnar break in to your house and shit in your breakfast cereal or something?

I have no idea why this game gets so much hate. It is no world beater, they just anounced what they plan to release as content for it and yet the forums are choc full of people that don't even play it getting there knickers in a twist.

I used to play Rift for example, if they made an anouncement about how everyones character will be wiped and all progress deleted you still wouldn't find me in the Rift forum because I couldn't give a crap about a game I don't play.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

I wish this game was B2P and that they fixed the horrible animations.  Keeping my eyes on it though.