Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Eligium: Service to Cease on July 17th

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Frogster has announced that its action-MMO, Eligium, will be ceasing operation on July 17, 2012. The reason for shut down according to the forum post is that the game does not measure up to Frogster's publication standards.

ELIGIUM enjoyed an excellent start to the Open Beta in February 2012. Despite our prolonged efforts to support the community, listen and respond to feedback and criticisms, and ultimately do our utmost to offer players the virtual universe of their dreams, we have come to the conclusion that ELIGIUM does not fully meet the high expectations of Frogster as a publisher. Therefore, we have decided to discontinue the operation of the game with a heavy heart.

Read the full post on the Eligium site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by Suzie_Ford

snip...

ELIGIUM enjoyed an excellent start to the Open Beta in February 2012. Despite our prolonged efforts to support the community, listen and respond to feedback and criticisms, and ultimately do our utmost to offer players the virtual universe of their dreams, we have come to the conclusion that ELIGIUM does not fully meet the high expectations of Frogster as a publisher. Therefore, we have decided to discontinue the operation of the game with a heavy heart.

ELIGIUM enjoyed an excellent start to the Open Beta in February 2012. Despite our prolonged efforts to support the community, listen and respond to feedback and criticisms, and ultimately do our utmost to offer players the virtual universe of their dreams, we have come to the conclusion that ELIGIUM does not fully meet the high expectations of game players. Therefore, we have decided to discontinue the operation of the game with a heavy heart.

Just a minor  correction to Frogster's news release

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

The game itself wasn't good. It had nothing special. I don't see why they keep releasing these here.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

No kidding.. I created an account, signed in.. did one or two things and signed out... and never touched it again... I'm guessing a lot of people did the same thing. 

• kanezfankanezfan Member UncommonPosts: 482

Is it bad that I've never even heard of this game?

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780

da da da, another generic MMO bites the dust!

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Couldn't have happened to a more deserving game. Seriously, this one was beyond garbage, I can't believe Frogster got suckered into licensing it. Surely they looked at it, compared it to Runes of Magic, and said "this is horrible"?

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

I never even heard of this game before this article.

• freegamesfreegames Member UncommonPosts: 240

I heard about the game after it died of course.

• RipclawRipclaw Member UncommonPosts: 190

Wow, damn thing didn't even make it 6 months. How sad.

I like their explanation for taking it down. Acting all like they didn't know this game was crap to begin with.

Will a day ever come when publishers stop buying up awful games and porting them just because these games are cheap...?

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

Good without checking..it was free to play? If so, let it die with the rest of those F2P crappers.

• digiosodigioso Member UncommonPosts: 243

Yep it was F2P and it was total crap. I played the beta for like 10 minutes and then hit the uninstall button pretty fast.

-------------------------------
    Leg dich nie mit einem BAOD an, oder du bist selber dran.

• mattic65mattic65 Member UncommonPosts: 191

Downloaded it, installed it, puked, uninstalled it. This game was about as generic as you could possibly get.

• NerfmehNerfmeh Member UncommonPosts: 36

This game was one of the worst mmo's i have ever played in my life...and belive me i have tried some heavy garbage. I dont even know what the publisher was thinking about releasing this garbage....

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291

Yeah, I did the same thing that seemingly everyone else did.  Looked like it might be good on paper, but after logging in I uninstalled it after about 15 minutes of gameplay.

• WyndknightWyndknight Member Posts: 2

didn't meet their publication standards? Like FAI!(Fail) had standards. I have played their other offering Runes of magic and that game while nice needs help. This game had potential, but because  FAI!(fail) lack of decent devs it failed

thus is my 2 cents on the loss of a decent game

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

Another steaming pile bites the dust.  When will these companies learn??

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Originally posted by Emeraq

No kidding.. I created an account, signed in.. did one or two things and signed out... and never touched it again... I'm guessing a lot of people did the same thing. 

+1

I did the same I think I finish the first tutorial then, never again

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Ultimately, there was no reason to play this game.  There are litterally hundreds of themepark games available, and Eligium was clearly below average.  It did nothing to set itself apart, or really give a player a reason to play it instead of a host of better games out there.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• JorendoJorendo Member UncommonPosts: 275

What else to exspect from a game that only advertises itself with a giant panda as the newsletter (no idea why i got that one anyway O.o) linked with a trailer...just a little after WoW announced they where gonna have panda's as a playable race.

I dislike f2p games like this....even more so when they hope to attract players by trowing in a race that just got anounced for their big brother >.< When will f2p themepark games get it? Stop copying your big brothers and link a overpriced cash shop to it with a huge ass pay to win formula. Its doomed to fail, stop spreading this crap around you call games. Here in the west we got better things to do than play another cash shop grinder.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Tried it, and it wasn't really worth the effort.  The Dev's made pretty much the same standard mistakes that we've seen way too many times over the years.  Its no longer 2004, and the gaming audience has moved on from those times.  I feel bad for the tech staff, but the head Dev and the suits should have known better. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • xbot7xbot7 Member Posts: 112

ok game was generic.. ok they killed it when it was newborn ;D

that reminds me..

why isnt there any pub outthere to REVIVE  SPELLBORN. that thing was NOT generic.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Emeraq

Same here indeed. Eligium was nothing special at all

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Agree, I actually tried to play it for a day or two, but gave up.  Might have done ok 10 years ago, but in this crowded marketplace my guess is the item shop reciepts did not even cover the server costs.

• DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432

The game was, quite frankly, terrible.  Very outdated and lacked many things, including any sort of fun factor.

The only good thing about the game was the character selection screen.

• GunstraGunstra Member UncommonPosts: 13

This saddens me, this game actually was one of the best Frogster has had in a long time. Of course it had nothing special, not seen a game in 5+ years that isn't the exact same grind over and over except for Rift.

I hope another publisher will pick it up, I certainly enjoyed playing this game, sorry to see it go. We can all hope that game developers will stop trying to be like each other and give us something seriously different and exciting.

Aion - Gladiator/Chanter Class
    War - Warrior Class