Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Perpetuum - Potential is there, Devs just need a little more excitment

Arkangel32Arkangel32 Member UncommonPosts: 83

I started playing Perpetuum because I am bored of everything else.  I find it very interesting and it has great potential..

Has anyone else gotten to try it out?  

It definately needs some work howeverm the sand box element is so strong.

Basically it is eve online however your on the ground and line of sight plays a huge roll in combat strategy.

Add:  I was never really into the space ship combat and not having any collision or line of site elements, so this is a very refreshing take.. Plus I love the way you gain experience when your not playing... i get to concentrate on actually playing with frends in the game and focusing on social aspects instead of .. "I need to get to level 50!!"

Comments

• Arkangel32Arkangel32 Member UncommonPosts: 83

OK so who is going to try out Perpetuum?  Help support this game!

• F0URTWENTYF0URTWENTY Member UncommonPosts: 349

Perpetuum has had less than 100 players online pretty much since beta. The few weeks that it was over 100 players the server was laggy and crashed every hour. Don't believe me? Download and signup for a trial and see how many are in global chat it will be around 50 people most afk and many with more than 1 account in PST timezone. 

So you're playing an eve clone with at most 100 accounts active at once at any time, many are alts and macros.

Great job but no thanks. I've played first person shooters with 200+ people and that is a bad eve clone.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168
    Shouldn't this game have more players since the monocle gate scandle in Eve Online? After all several eve threads said they were leaving for it. Most of the hypocrites probrobly went back to Eve. LoL!!!!!

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

What you say is true, small player base, when I log in there are around 100 people.  I have not crashed a single time since I started and I have put in many hours of play.  (Granted its not under a stress with many people).  Perpetuum has improved a lot since I played in Beta.

There are pros and cons to small player bases.  The close community is a plus in this case.  People are very friendly and offer to help in anyway they can.  Starting out is slow however, once digging in I find it more interesting as I go.

A blanket statement that all the server did was crash every hour is a limited statement in that you cant testify on "every" persons experience.

What can be said is they like all companies face certain challenges.  Supporting an "idea" and enouraging something you think has potential is how you make things successfull, if even to give it a chance to survive.  Among the list of themepark crap MMOS out there, in my opinion, I am more inclined these days to give a game like perpetuum a chance to survive than run through a themepark again.  

Currently they have a player base which is dedicated and loyal, which is how every game starts out.

My purpose for posting is to see if anyone is interested and explore the game themselves because it is interesting and NOT a themepark.  

Negative rants are not the purpose for this post.

I encourage people, try it out, seek a corp imediatley, you will find yourself welcomed with open arms.  You might like it....

I was just playing on my lunch and I took advantage of using the terrain and my position to my tactical advantage.  

I chose missiles as my weapon, so I can fire over hills.  The NPC was behind the hill so while I could shoot missiles which arc over the hill, the NPC with his projectile weapon could not shoot me.  The NPC was not able to get around the hill in time to survive my bombardment.    

This is a great tactical strategy that has always been used in games and it is refreshing to be able to play this sort of tactic for once in an MMO such as this one.

It always bugged the heck out of me that structures/asteroids etc...  are put in a game purely for decoration and provide no purpose than to run from a battle.

It is refreshing to see Perpetuum utilizing this gameplay and I plan on taking advantage of this in PVP as well as other strategies as in using steap hills to harrass.   (Heavy mechs cannot go up certain steep hills while smaller mechs can, imagine the fun times you could have with this).  

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Might actually pick it up again.  image

Awesome, look me up in game, "Arkangel"!

Make sure you get in a corp and start socializing!  There is a learning curve however, you can overcome it easily by taking it one step at a time and talking with corp members or in help.  People are really friendly!

2 of my friends are going to jump in with me, we have end game pvp ideas to use!

They implemented Player built Bases, Turret defenses, Proximity alerts, Walls, and a lot more and Terraforming!

I am really looking forward to the end game sandbox elements!

• cirsyndiccirsyndic Member UncommonPosts: 261

In my opinion it is an EVE clone with maybe 50-60 actual people (who have between 2-10 accounts each) playing. Most of the balance changes seem to happen with knee-jerks (create enough whine from privileged players who have the devs on skype and it will get hotfixed very quickly). EULA application is very unclear and selective, if you're a privileged player and nobody reports you, you can get away with murder.

PVP revolves around having 1 combat account and 1 support account following to remote-repair you. Honestly even though I'm playing it (currently), I would think twice before recommending it to a friend. It requires a big investment (2 accounts minimum) to be viable.

Originally posted by cirsyndic

In my opinion it is an EVE clone with maybe 50-60 actual people (who have between 2-10 accounts each) playing. Most of the balance changes seem to happen with knee-jerks (create enough whine from privileged players who have the devs on skype and it will get hotfixed very quickly). EULA application is very unclear and selective, if you're a privileged player and nobody reports you, you can get away with murder.

PVP revolves around having 1 combat account and 1 support account following to remote-repair you. Honestly even though I'm playing it (currently), I would think twice before recommending it to a friend. It requires a big investment (2 accounts minimum) to be viable.

I am currently in communication with people in my alliance and while what you say is true where "some" people have 2 or more accounts and the repair bot setup or other... 

There are still many people with only one account and are content with the gameplay value.  

Try not to make comments which are absolute in nature when you cannot speak for each individual.  

While every game faces its challeneges you have a choice to support a wow clone or support the little guys who have great ideas.  Not asking for your choice in this post, I am simply stating the fact that yes problems exists in every game however, they can be overcome..

$10 is not a big investment unless your still in high school...

I would rather see Perpetuum achive success than to settle for something that is mediocre themepark.

That is why i am trying out Perpetuum, I am embracing a great idea, and a great setup, which just needs polish... all games  start out one way or another.

• cirsyndiccirsyndic Member UncommonPosts: 261
    Originally posted by Arkangel32

I am currently in communication with people in my alliance and while what you say is true where "some" people have 2 or more accounts and the repair bot setup or other... 

There are still many people with only one account and are content with the gameplay value.  

Try not to make comments which are absolute in nature when you cannot speak for each individual.  

While every game faces its challeneges you have a choice to support a wow clone or support the little guys who have great ideas.  Not asking for your choice in this post, I am simply stating the fact that yes problems exists in every game however, they can be overcome..

I would rather see Perpetuum achive success than to settle for something that is mediocre themepark.

That is why i am trying out Perpetuum, I am embracing a great idea, and a great setup, which just needs polish... all games  start out one way or another.

I wasn't talking about being content, I was talking about being viable in PVP.

I am not making absolute comments, I am giving my opinion which is based on playing & leading a corporation since release and having second-best ranking on the perpetuum killboard. Having only 1 account is like playing World of Tanks without gold. For example, all the top 10 ranked PVPers in Perpetuum have 3+ accounts. Every single ranked PVPer has 2+ accounts.

[mod edit]

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607

[mod edit]

Back on actual topic, Perpetuum is a pretty good game, it does lack sizable playerbase which hurts it, but the game mechanics are solid. I take regular breaks from it as the game doesn't really have lasting mommentum between expansion/patches. But when I do play I enjoy it.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

The devs just announced a lot of changes comming starting in 1 week, and a lot more in the next 4 weeks!

They are listening directly to the players, and this looks to be VERY promising!

Originally posted by Kazuhiro

[mod edit]

Back on actual topic, Perpetuum is a pretty good game, it does lack sizable playerbase which hurts it, but the game mechanics are solid. I take regular breaks from it as the game doesn't really have lasting mommentum between expansion/patches. But when I do play I enjoy it.

Thank you for pointing that out...

I am simply making conversation about , as you said, "a pretty good game".  While it does lack a sizable player base it does have a lot of potential to be a great game.  What they need is exposure, loyal players, and people to give the devs input on what needs to be done...

The Devs are really listening to the players and making HUGE adjustments in an effort to improve the game.  

Conversating about it on forums is just to keep people informed, and I am hopeful people will try it out.

My name in game is "General Arkangel"   

Anyone interested, contact me, I am more than happy to guide you through Perpetuum and help you get started!

I can even recruit you to our corporation.

Originally posted by cirsyndic
    Originally posted by Arkangel32

I wasn't talking about being content, I was talking about being viable in PVP.

I am not making absolute comments, I am giving my opinion which is based on playing & leading a corporation since release and having second-best ranking on the perpetuum killboard. Having only 1 account is like playing World of Tanks without gold. For example, all the top 10 ranked PVPers in Perpetuum have 3+ accounts. Every single ranked PVPer has 2+ accounts.

If my opinion hurts your e-feelings, totally your problem. Don't see why someone's opinion threatens you so much, unless you're still in kindergarden...

heh, well I am glad you share your opinion.  It helps to see different perspectives.  Your point is not without merit.  There are those people who make it the highest priority in life to be number one in a game, even to have 3+ accounts and play all day every day.

Fortunately, the average player does not have this focus and is not worried aboutbeing number one.  The average players play as teams, form alliances and in the end, the people who run 1 account and team together are more efficient than people who are trying to run 3+ accounts in PVP for obvious reasons...

Thanks for sharing your opinion and experience.  I am glad the average gamer is not directly affected by such hardcore players.  Good for them, number 1 on the kill boards!!!    we all have our place.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

I bought a 3 month block of Perpetuum about 3 weeks ago...the early level money grind is a pain in the ass...Market place prices are pretty expensive.  I lost 3rd Waspish in level 3 missions so im back to the (whatever its called, light missle flinger).  Ill log back in, in a couple days start grinding up cash.   

The problems for me:  Cant grind bounties on mobs.  Nobody wants the Garbage Mobs drop so no sales on market place.  I didnt know that there were so few peeps playing but it would explain the Market prices. 

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

Originally posted by apocoluster

I bought a 3 month block of Perpetuum about 3 weeks ago...the early level money grind is a pain in the ass...Market place prices are pretty expensive.  I lost 3rd Waspish in level 3 missions so im back to the (whatever its called, light missle flinger).  Ill log back in, in a couple days start grinding up cash.   

The problems for me:  Cant grind bounties on mobs.  Nobody wants the Garbage Mobs drop so no sales on market place.  I didnt know that there were so few peeps playing but it would explain the Market prices. 

Look me up in game "General Arkangel"  I am sure our alliance will welcome you with open arms, great people!