Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Runes of Magic: Fires of Shadowforge Review

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Recently, Runes of Magic was updated with Chapter V: The Fires of Shadowforge. We've been playing the latest chapter in RoM and have a comprehensive review for your reading pleasure. Check it out!

Along with the implementation of the Dwarf race and subsequent Dwarf-only classes, Chapter V: The Fires of Shadowforge came with a decent package of new content. For the purpose of this article, I’m going to focus on the Dwarf race itself (and the Dwarf classes), but Chapter V also introduced two new instances plus a few Dwarf locations. Taffrock, the Dwarven capital, is pretty snazzy as far as major cities within an MMO are concerned. Two new world regions, namely the Kingdom of Rozazan and Chrysalia, are available for all players to explore regardless of their race. I especially loved the ravaged, torn lands of Chysalia, but both regions are worth a visit and a little exploration in my book.

Read more of Lori May's Runes of Magic: Our Fires of Shadowforge Review.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• inmedianinmedian Member UncommonPosts: 1

The dwarf race so ugly...

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

"This is a F2P title, and while there is a cash mall full of temping items, you don’t have to spend a dime to explore the content within Runes of Magic."

I had to laugh at that statement.  A complete load of nonsense it is.  All the high end content requires either significant spending in the item shop or a tremendous amount of grind.  In fact I am not sure you can grind enough, the end game requires significant enchancement of all your equipment of which the materials to do such are only found in the item shop. 

This is a fun game at low levels, but as usual with reviews on this site, we get a reviewer making pronouncements about the game without really playing it beyond mid levels.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

rofl at the dwarf models

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

"This is a F2P title, and while there is a cash mall full of temping items, you don’t have to spend a dime to explore the content within Runes of Magic."

I had to laugh at that statement.  A complete load of nonsense it is.  All the high end content requires either significant spending in the item shop or a tremendous amount of grind.  In fact I am not sure you can grind enough, the end game requires significant enchancement of all your equipment of which the materials to do such are only found in the item shop. 

This is a fun game at low levels, but as usual with reviews on this site, we get a reviewer making pronouncements about the game without really playing it beyond mid levels.

Ozmodan your are correct about having to spend a lot of money in end game if you want to be the best of the best, however you can enjoy a signifigant amount of content in this game without spending a dime.   Almost every FTP title is pay for end game in one way or another.  If Lori had written "to explore ALL of the content", I would agree with your statement.

• mrbreckmrbreck Member UncommonPosts: 24

That is the ugliest Dwarf I have ever seen.  It looks like someone chopped the arms and legs off of a Human.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

wow, I am not a fan of dwarf models in most mmorgs (there are a few I like), but this is the worst ever imo. holy smokes.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by nuttob

Ozmodan your are correct about having to spend a lot of money in end game if you want to be the best of the best, however you can enjoy a signifigant amount of content in this game without spending a dime.   Almost every FTP title is pay for end game in one way or another.  If Lori had written "to explore ALL of the content", I would agree with your statement.

You obviously have not played end game in this game.  End game dungeons without upgraded equipment are suicide missions.  That is the point of the game, if you want to do the end game content, you are forced to enhance your equipment, at least to some extent.  Oh and the enhancement is chance based, so if you are unlucky it costs more.

So the answer is no, this game is only f2p up to the latter portion of the game, then you have to invest in your character via the item shop.  Yes, a few have the time to do a huge grind to do that, but the vast majority of us don't, hence it is really only f2p for the early levels, like many other f2p, just that this one can cost a lot more.

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291

You obviously have not played end game in this game.  End game dungeons without upgraded equipment are suicide missions.  That is the point of the game, if you want to do the end game content, you are forced to enhance your equipment, at least to some extent.  Oh and the enhancement is chance based, so if you are unlucky it costs more.

So the answer is no, this game is only f2p up to the latter portion of the game, then you have to invest in your character via the item shop.  Yes, a few have the time to do a huge grind to do that, but the vast majority of us don't, hence it is really only f2p for the early levels, like many other f2p, just that this one can cost a lot more.

I am not sure what part of my post you don't understand that totally agrees with you.  You can get to full level without paying a dime, and go to all the basic zones.  That's a lot of the content. You can't do end level content without spending money.  She didn't say all content, she said content.  That was my point.

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

I did alot of the content for free when I played this game.  I played the auction house, buying the cash shop currency (diamonds) for in game currency.  I would then re-sell the diamonds at a higher rate on the AH and continue repeating the process.  Never spent a single cent of my own money.

Sure, it take time, but it is the same as playing the AH in any other game.

• nhatnhat Member UncommonPosts: 166

I am not sure what part of my post you don't understand that totally agrees with you.  You can get to full level without paying a dime, and go to all the basic zones.  That's a lot of the content. You can't do end level content without spending money.  She didn't say all content, she said content.  That was my point.

I played end game since Chapter 2, don't get me wrong, the game is one of the funniest f2p game I ever played but the end game content is so cash shop dependent that the CS kills end game.

This game is a truely a free to play to just play. In the end I just left because it's impossible to stay competitive in end game without spending a lot of money in the CS.

I now play Aion and vinidictus because those games aren't so CS dependent like RoM is.

• BereKinBereKin Member Posts: 287

The game was not bad when I played it, not great, but it was ok. Had some fun time playing it, but eventually I moved on. But looking at this character I dont get it what that supposed to be, but its not dwarf, thats for sure.

Now, this is what a real dwarf look like  :)