Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Great game, sad combat and animations.

124»

Comments

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by bezado

Originally posted by pierth
    Ugh, it cut off the first part of my post, in addendum:

Originally posted by bezado
    Sure, for one EQ1 did not have a linear gameplay style, and secondly it could not be played with lots of distractions. EQ1 you actually had to think, the same could not be said for the melee toons, but for the casters for example. Most of EQ content was setup for group play, and the mobs were geared towards your armor and level. Also spells were not just given to you, as you had to work for everything. Progression = difficulty.

Correct, EQ1 isn't as linear as most of today's themeparks- what does that have to do with the difficulty of combat? Secondly, you're wrong. If soloing in either game it's easy to go AFK- you find a safe spot, and then go AFK- that simple. Even easier in EQ1 because of sneak, hide, and feign death. All games have areas appropriate for your level/gear, EQ1 just has more variety/choice than today's games- still has nothing to do with difficulty. And progression? Progression was just grinding, and if you grind at the right spots you can just buy gear and spell progression- remember in classic EQ1 very little was soulbound. You could buy almost anything you wanted.

As for the underlined part- this is another instance where you claim something with no evidence whatsoever. You had to think about what? What to load your spellbar with? Like how you have to choose your active and passive abilities in TSW? Or do you mean think about pathing? Because both games have wandering mobs, and add is just as likely to get you killed in either game.

First off you're playing a emulated server, I should not even be arguing with you on what EQ was originally like as you think you are playing 100% EQ 1999, and emulated EQ is garbage no matter what folks say, they just play the 1999 because of nostalgia reasons, but whatever.

I played for several years on live (original to GoD) and regardless of whether it's a live or emulated server I use now- it's still more factual than your nostalgia rants.

Linear has a lot to do with difficulty. When a developer creates a linear mmorpg it always means the content and gear is exactly balanced perfectly all the time for the current content the player is, and most quest reward gear will give a bigger advantage than it should for that current content. You assume, and also fail to incorporate the fact that the complexity of the ability wheel is far more than just leveling in EQ1 is. A non linear style almost always will have harder content and will most of the time be in favor of the mobs over player in terms of advantage. Which is only true if you choose a higher degree of challenge, which you can in either game. If you don't want a lot of challenge you focus on lower con mobs, same in both games. The linear style puts a player on a path in the direction the developer wants them to go to each level, it tells them you will go here and we will gear you with this gear from this quest and you will kill the mobs easily you assumebecause we balanced it like that so you could keep moving, that is basically what linear style is when they develop in the linear style. You assume far more than is actually there. You know nothing about what you speak. I really don't see how you think you're qualified to compare either game, as it seem you are extremely ignorant (possibly just disingenuous) of both.

You bring up AFK, but I am clueless as I did not mention going AFK? You brought up playing with distractions. In either game if there are distractions you can go AFK. In both games if you're grouped then you deal with distractions when it is convenient. There is no difference between the two.

Read my post again when I mentioned progression. I must clarify for you on your idea of progression, it is not the idea of buying gear to advance. Progression has a lot to do with difficulty, a higher difficulty is the result of telling a player they must do these major quest series and do these raids in order to gain these armors and weapons in order to participate on the higher end harder content. But it doesn't- perhaps in WoW there was a need for such things but you never needed to do your epic quest or even the class armor quests to progress. Those are things you chose to do if you liked. You could easily progress by farming silks and such, selling them and then buying upgrades, both gear as well as drop only spells. You're claiming something factually untrue.Progression today for you guys means buying the gear from a auction house or from gold farmers. Actually, that's easily what it could have been in EQ1 before PoP I believe In this whole argument I been on topic, and have again stated that my opinions are towards the early days of mmorpg's from 1999-2005. So in respect to that I believe you should have an idea of what that was like before you comment further, because playing emulator servers of classics isn't the same shit.

All underlined parts are my responses.

In conclusion, you still know nothing of what you talk about. Again, I played for 5-ish years on live and have spent recent time (as opposed to you going off your very blurry memories) and I'm telling you how it is, regardless of what you want to believe.

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299

Well at least the combat was more complex and diverse than it was in GW2...i mean GW2 looks better i guess...more flash ect..but the mechanics in TSW i prefer.

Also, just because you made a lame build and didnt enjoy it doesnt mean the combat sucks.

If people are suggesting the worst part of TSW is its combat than its really a pretty soild game, personally i think the worst part is a lack of a guild seige system or a form of declaring war on a cabal (mutual or non) and getting a FFA pvp match versus the opposing guild.  Right now cabals just seem like clubs rather than a purposful commune.

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Oh lord the bad combat nemesisis again.

Is it better than planetside? no
    Is it better than gw2 beta? Not quite
    Is it better than wow and its myriad clones? Hell yeah.

Is it better than C9? No.

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

The animations are incredibly lackluster for the most part. No argument there.

As for combat? Still not seeing the issue. Most saying this are either really referring to the animations or simply jumping on the band wagon started when there actually were some combat issues and others really simply referring to animations.

I was excited for the game, and I liked the quests and investigations(even though I found they were a bit too easy... The hardest part I found was finding a link that didn't have TSW spoilers when using the in-game browser)... But I couldn't get past the crappy combat. The combat is the only reason I gave the game a pass and didn't purchase it.

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Originally posted by firegamer31
    i am so sick and tired of these bs posts man and im sure the community is about sick too you sir have done this on every major game release over the past year or so no one cares what you think dont like it? go back to wow but honustly you clowns arent getting into people heads anymore with this crap we dont care get a hobby kid

Who you talking to? I doubt you are referring to me, as you do not know me and I rarely post on this site, my last post that talked about a major release was over a year ago. You must have me confused with someone else, cause I don't post much about games on here, usually just off topic forum. Check my profile out, you would have to go back a long long time ago to find any post where I played the actual game and criticized it, go ahead do the research.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    What's C9?
  • ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

People are judging the game unrealistically.

Take TSW combat and compare it side by side with GW2: TSW is better and more in depth.

Take GW2 combat and compare it side by side with WOW: There is you so 2008 combat game (GW2).

People have already stated posting side by side videos and screenies because most of the negetive comments about TSW are false and unfounded.

Don't forget in a TRUE MMO combat is only 20% of the game!

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Thorbrand

Take TSW combat and compare it side by side with GW2: TSW is better and more in depth.

Take GW2 combat and compare it side by side with WOW: There is you so 2008 combat game (GW2).

People have already stated posting side by side videos and screenies because most of the negetive comments about TSW are false and unfounded.

Originally posted by BigRock411

Well at least the combat was more complex and diverse than it was in GW2...i mean GW2 looks better i guess...more flash ect..but the mechanics in TSW i prefer.

Also, just because you made a lame build and didnt enjoy it doesnt mean the combat sucks.

If people are suggesting the worst part of TSW is its combat than its really a pretty soild game, personally i think the worst part is a lack of a guild seige system or a form of declaring war on a cabal (mutual or non) and getting a FFA pvp match versus the opposing guild.  Right now cabals just seem like clubs rather than a purposful commune.

GW2 is more complex while in actual combat.

TSW is a bit like GW1 - a large part of the combat complexity is pre-combat. And part of that is having a build that actually works. GW2 removed the "being good is knowing what to pick the good skills out of a ton of useless skills" part.

Traits, runes and sigils add to the complexity removed from locked weapon skills though.

@Thorbrand - lol @ GW2 being WoW combat. And a true MMO is like 80% combat since true MMOs of the year 2000 don't have quests or a story and such, right?

It is fun, some say GW2 combat is arcady, others say it is WoW.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299
    Originally posted by Thorbrand

I can agree that the combat in kingsmouth is a bit lame, its when your able to make use of higher tier skills and swap builds that the combat really shines.

Combat is a good as you make it.  Ive found several builds that i abolutely love in terms of combat.  Some other builds, not so much.

At least the combat in this game is unique, definately has its own feel and certainly doesnt feel like a wow-clones combat.

Combat in this game is very under-rated.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    Originally posted by gaugemew

I don't understand why everyone is so defensive about the combat in TSW.  It's pretty terrible.  To say "it's new" is sort of laughable and gives you away as a fanboy.  From my perspective they weren't even trying to hide that combat was not a priority for them.

Combat in TSW = tab to a target, hit some number keys. 

As far as tha animations go, they are off.  They don't look fluid, they don't make sense half the time.

There is no excuse for releasing a game with combat/animations in an unpolished state when your game revolves around combat.  I just don't understand why MMO companies continue making the same mistakes their predecessors did.  Getting those things right should be priority #1.

• TzykiraTzykira Member Posts: 13

I've bin playing this game for the past week -

Started out pretty awesome, i was honestly suprised about the Quest/skill set.

Altho i stick to 1 skill tree (-Full elementalist) the option to switch between all these skills are pretty awesome, thats what i first thought. -side note - Havin all skils on 1 charachter actually making a new char to get to play the other ' class ' abit... useless.

Questing is pretty awesome, search, killing, solving puzzels.- to bad u only need a few days to reach the end ( so far). Yes they will add story line and quests in other " land " but ye, untill then it's pretty boring.

but the warzones keep me pretty occupied, they are awesome.

The game? - great, got a new feel about it, great texture.

Howlong the game will last? - depends on the content that they " will " add, and the duration between the updates are.