Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it just me or are female characters a little bit oversexualized?

Comments

• DruidGuardDruidGuard Member Posts: 6

Compared to Aion and Tera, GW2 is a prude...haha

I think it is mostly due to anime style we see in games, its become the dominant style.

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

The most revealing GW2 female armor I've seen is this;

It's fairly skimpy and shows a fair amount of skin, around the same as a handful of similar examples. Most GW2 outfits both male and female cover much more skin and it is true that most of the outfits are designed by women. There are numerous interviews by these women about gear design and other such things they work on.

Now, taking the above image as an example of the most revealing outfits in Guild Wars 2 and compare them against say a game like Tera and you'll see that Tera characters and armor is 'far' more revealing and the models far more sexualized tahn even the skimpiest GW2 outfits. On top of that the GW2 females are animated fairly realistic compared to the contortionists of Tera who stand like they have 4 extra vertibrae and walk & run with their arse stuck out.

With these examples, calling GW2's outfits are 'revealing' or the characters 'oversexualized' is just laughable compared to the competition. I think that not only does GW2 have the best 'human' character models in the genre but the highest quality work as well. This character in Tera looks more like a plastic barby doll than the graphical representation of a living being. The model may be higher poly with similar texture fidelity but in terms of design it looks like the work of a teenager in a game oriented towards 12 year olds.

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615

We have to look good ingame as we do in real life. :)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by Fion

With these examples, calling GW2's outfits are 'revealing' or the characters 'oversexualized' is just laughable compared to the competition. I think that not only does GW2 have the best 'human' character models in the genre but the highest quality work as well. This character in Tera looks more like a plastic barby doll than the graphical representation of a living being. The model may be higher poly with similar texture fidelity but in terms of design it looks like the work of a teenager in a game oriented towards 12 year olds.

I'm going to let you in on a little e-secret.  Guys of all ages like sexualalized female styling.   At 12 I wasnt terrible concerned w/ a sexed up barbie doll, hell I probably wouldn't even have considered playing a female toon.   I was more interested in big spikey pauldrons and plate armor and cool weapons and looking badass.

• bobericboberic Member Posts: 97
    Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor

It can't be "worse" than this:

http://queens.kr.gameclub.com/qbmain.asp

right!?!?

Nope...i saw nipple...That game is far worse.

////////////
    function()
    {
    runescape != goodgame;
    }

• NormikeNormike Member Posts: 436

Wait, you're asking male gamers (and female gamers who are socialized in the gaming community) if female characters are oversexualized?  You might as well go in a donut shop and ask the fat guys sitting at the counter if donuts are too sweet.

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

@ pics above.

Ugh.

Yeah, while I do think GW2 does have some gender display issues (huge differences between male and female versions of some armor is proof enough), it's better than a lot of games out there, and I don't expect ANet to lead a revolution.

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

Women in real life honestly dress with more exposed than any outfit you'll find in any MMO, period.  Women enjoy when others check them out.

It's not for everyone, sure, but more often than not, when going to the bars, women are dressed scanty. In general, developers aren't stupid. They know what the majority of people want to see, otherwise they wouldn't be creating outfits in this style.

The relatively few people against it aren't going to be worth a complete change of design, and if they did change the design, people would complain about the reverse even more.

Originally posted by Gajari

Women in real life honestly dress with more exposed than any outfit you'll find in any MMO, period.  Women enjoy when others check them out.

I have never seen a woman buying groceries wearing what some wear in games like TERA or the one mentioned above.

Women do not enjoy being checked out 24/7 and many women do not enjoy it at all (I'm not among that number, btw). Furthermore, a majority's desire shouldn't dictate the situation for a minority in either case.

Furthermore, this is a video game, wtf?

It's not for everyone, sure, but more often than not, when going to the bars, women are dressed scanty.

I didn't realize that my valiant ranger walking through snowy hills was in a bar. o.O And, personally, as a woman, I do not even go to bars. What now?

In general, developers aren't stupid. They know what the majority of people want to see, otherwise they wouldn't be creating outfits in this style.

I don't believe anyone in this thread disagreed that "sex sells" or w/e. That wasn't the question or implication. The implication was that GW2 is indeed trying to sell sex to some degree. It would appear that you agree, while many here argue that is not what GW2 is trying to do.

The relatively few people against it aren't going to be worth a complete change of design, and if they did change the design, people would complain about the reverse even more.

Where would people complain about the reverse and where have they?

You realize GW2 already offers covered armors, right? I.e., GW2 already offers plenty of choices. I haven't seen any complaints saying "there are too many opportunities for females to not look skimpy". In fact, that sounds rather ridiculous.

• YellowbearddYellowbeardd Member UncommonPosts: 83

Ummmmmm Nerds playing vidoe games online with that vast amount are without girlfriends , ofcourse the female characters are a bit oversexualized and it will be like that till games are non-existent.

• SkullyWoodsSkullyWoods Member Posts: 183

#TeamVainlash
    Why did Marceline's dad eat her fries? I mean...cause she bought them and they were hers...

Originally posted by Yellowbeardd

Ummmmmm Nerds playing vidoe games online with that vast amount are without girlfriends , ofcourse the female characters are a bit oversexualized and it will be like that till games are non-existent.

I like how you said till games are nonexistent.

Not until gamers learn to get girfriends (not that I believe that utterly idiotic myth).

Not until there are a lot of women in gaming (there already is, actually).

Leave games alone, please, and don't try to blame typical human problems on some random piece of technology...

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984
    Originally posted by Irus

I have never seen a woman buying groceries wearing what some wear in games like TERA or the one mentioned above.

Women do not enjoy being checked out 24/7 and many women do not enjoy it at all (I'm not among that number, btw). Furthermore, a majority's desire shouldn't dictate the situation for a minority in either case.

It's not for everyone, sure, but more often than not, when going to the bars, women are dressed scanty.

I didn't realize that my valiant ranger walking through snowy hills was in a bar. o.O And, personally, as a woman, I do not even go to bars. What now?

In general, developers aren't stupid. They know what the majority of people want to see, otherwise they wouldn't be creating outfits in this style.

I don't believe anyone in this thread disagreed that "sex sells" or w/e. That wasn't the question or implication. The implication was that GW2 is indeed trying to sell sex to some degree. It would appear that you agree, while many here argue that is not what GW2 is trying to do.

You realize GW2 already offers covered armors, right? I.e., GW2 already offers plenty of choices. I haven't seen any complaints saying "there are too many opportunities for females to not look skimpy". In fact, that sounds rather ridiculous.

You've never seen a woman wondering through a store in shorts up their cooch and only a top on covering their breasts? I don't believe you.

But that was first point was already covered when I said it wasn't for everyone.

Second point: It doesn't matter about the bar, but the fact that women wouldn't be doing it AT ALL if they didn't enjoy it. Period. It has nothing to do with the bar.

Third point: The developers would be absolutely stupid to not try and sell sex. It's one of the leading sales tactics out there. Even if they don't go overly sexualized, they're still gonna have outfits that appeal in a sexual way. And thus, they have both. Oh wow.  I never said I agreed that they were selling sex primarily when it comes to female characters, but it's in there, and if people are too ignorant to see that, that's fine, but they're not thinking "hey, that looks very protective" when they create these outfits.

The fourth point in my message was meant to convey  that people will argue if the original designs are taken away and replaced with fully covering armor. I never said they'd complain simply because there's no option to be dress scanty just because they'd prefer it and there's no option (even though there have been posts about this in games in the past, but I'm sure you won't believe me about that). Try not to fly off the handle and comprehend what you're reading before responding. But still, since this point was not necessarily relevant, I'll give it to you.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

You must be living on another world...

First, I have seen women in clothing skimpier than any outfit in GW2, and not just at the beach. Of course women want to be checked out, the clothes the makeup. I know my girlfriend gets a little miffed if I dont notice the effort she put into her look.

If you dont go to bars, then how do you know what women dress like? Have you never heard of "clubing"? Among women its a very popular pastime, and they dress VERY skimpy.

Also, the majority have always made the rules, for better or worst, and I doubt that will ever change. We cannot protect evryone just like we cannot police everyone, thats means the crowd wins.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Interesting comparison now that we have Asura character creater videos... Asura females are the anti-Elin. Probably about as non-sexualized as you can get. Sylvari females are also very mammary-challenged, which makes sense considering they're meant to resemble humans, not be plant-humans. Oh, and watching the Sylvari creater... they are so not elves.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Not until gamers learn to get girfriends (not that I believe that utterly idiotic myth).

Leave games alone, please, and don't try to blame typical human problems on some random piece of technology...

Dont you mean typical AMERICAN problems?

Are females oversexualised in movies? In ALOT of them yes.

in music? Yup

in art? Yup

on TV? yup

Point being games are no diffrent than any other form of entertainment. My advise to thoes of you that worry about it is to grow the hell up. Whats funny is its usually some jackass male sitting behind the computer starting these retarted topics. If you think these things offend females I suggest you look up some cosplay pictures. Fat, skinny, hot, ugly, notevensurethatsawoman.....they all enjoy playing dressup in outfits from video games.

Edit. To be honest I think females would be ALOT more offended if in every game they had to wear ankle long dresses with a kitchen apron.

• LuxthorLuxthor Member Posts: 171

It's not just about females overbeautification it's about entire human and norn faction, nothing strange for GW2 type of game. They made it for mediocre mainstream population its like “Baywatch”, “Melrose Place” or “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” type of shows. ;)

---
    "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by xenogias

[mod edit]

Are females oversexualised in movies? In ALOT of them yes.

in music? Yup

in art? Yup

on TV? yup

Point being games are no diffrent than any other form of entertainment. My advise to thoes of you that worry about it is to grow the hell up. Whats funny is its usually some jackass male sitting behind the computer starting these retarted topics. If you think these things offend females I suggest you look up some cosplay pictures. Fat, skinny, hot, ugly, notevensurethatsawoman.....they all enjoy playing dressup in outfits from video games.

Edit. To be honest I think females would be ALOT more offended if in every game they had to wear ankle long dresses with a kitchen apron.

You're actually right about that.

America is one of the few countries where it's more acceptable to see people being torn apart, than it is to see people having sex. And, little secret, girls like sex & they like being sexy. It's comical how many people don't seem to understand this. This whole thread is really based around a non-issue, targetted at one of the least sexualized fantasy MMOs on the market. To suggest that female players should not be allowed to show skin if they want, is actually more offensive than a game having that option to begin with.

• MrlogicMrlogic Member Posts: 178

This is indeed an interesting discussion, however (as I answered in the poll) I don't really care, it's a virtual world. IF we should discuss women being oversexualized, turn on MTV, look at Seventeen or any other female oriented magazine. This is where you will find the real problem, not in GW2.

• MaroxadMaroxad Member Posts: 28

Some armors are sexualized. But other armors arent, so it is fine. In my opinion, sexualization is only an issue when toons are forced to wear sexualized armor and that armor they are forced to wear is sexualized for the sake of having sexualized armor. Thankfully GW2 gives you the player a decent ammount choice. You can be sexualized if you want to, you can wear more modest armor if you want to, you can mix/match if you want to.

It is a win/win in my book.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Well when you think about it why would people find a virtual computerized pixel sexual anyway ? I think some fo you need some serious help.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by Mephster

Well when you think about it why would people find a virtual computerized pixel sexual anyway ? I think some fo you need some serious help.

I think you need help for being in serious denial.

Men have been aroused by cave paintings ffs.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    Originally posted by GTwander

I think you need help for being in serious denial.

Yeah everyone is the same as you. You solved everyone elses issue.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359
    Originally posted by colddog04
    Originally posted by Cromica

The clothing for the femaies was actually designed by females  so I don't see an issue

lol...

Anyway, here's a nice sexy pic for reference...

This is what every girl should wear in real life.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by GTwander

Well when you think about it why would people find a virtual computerized pixel sexual anyway ?

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Yeah, every man sees any kind of female figure for what it is... there are just people like you, who seem to guilt-trip themselves over it every time they fall in line. It's not that you don't see it - you just "don't want to", or rather "wish you didn't" - and would never admit to even having the slightest moment of such.

Which I find deadly strange. Like, you're so macho that you're libido is untouchable unless you want it to be - which is bullshit.

[mod edit]

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture