Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me understand why people play TSW

Comments

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I dont understand why people post stuff like this when they clearly dont like the game... go and post in the forums for the game you like.. simple as that..

There is a reason why most people playing TSW rate it so highly but i cant be bothered to post on here again saying why.. your best bet is to read all the other threads and reviews from people and game sites..

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

I play Secret World because its one of the better themeparks(a little more difficult and your hand isnt held as much). Not sure how long I will play though.

Im a sandboxer though and still play Mortal Online with most of my time. Its fun to casually hop onto TSW for a bit.

I just dont like the themeparks where you dont have to think a little. Also hate F2P themeparks, and ones with dungeon finders. Its nice to see that TSW doesnt have levels or classes. Wish it was entirely skill based where you learned skills by doing that particular action (IE You've gotten better at swimming! (54))

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053
    Originally posted by xDayx

Wish it was entirely skill based where you learned skills by doing that particular action (IE You've gotten better at swimming! (54))

Ugh, I get a twitch from flashbacks of jumping all of the time in Morrowind to get my athletic skill up. 

While I enjoy skill based games, I'm not really sure if I enjoy that part of it.

• wasim470wasim470 Member Posts: 243

What what ????

Ur MMO sucks....

MY MMO FTW....

And the fight go on and on .........................................

what a waste of virtual paper and ink.....

• pokerhspokerhs Member Posts: 3

I let other people speak for me:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/48127565#48127565

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405

For me, just because of the cool Dragon pvp uniforms. That's it.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

I play because the PVP is fun and GW2 is still two months away. Not a huge fan of the PVE combat, but the missions are fun and some of them are the best I've seen in an MMO.

• CorthalaCorthala Member UncommonPosts: 283

I love the story, I love the quest, I love the dialogues:

"You are like the world revenge on sarcasm, you know that?"

I have to say that the combat is a bit week but i got used to it.

"you are like the world revenge on sarcasm, you know that?"

One of those great lines from The Secret World

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Isn't it obvious why people play TSW?

It is a less common setting in MMORPGs - contemporany Horror vs High Fantasy.

Puzzle quests. Regular quests are also sometimes well presented and desguised.

Interesting story and VO.

I'll be spending most of my time in GW2, but it is easy to see why TSW is attractive.

At least short term - the combat is a bit of a let down compared to the rest of the game and while I like deck building, I've already been doing that for years with GW, so doesn't feel that fresh to me as it will feel for other players.

And it isn't as if GW2 doesn't have a similar system, with weapon skills, utility skills and traits (work pretty much as passives).

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

1) not everyone jumps on the EA hate bandwagon or the Funcom hate wagon (some of us have fond memories of AO, and some people still play AoC, despite all their NUMEROUS initial flaws).  Im not saying people LIKE EA, but alot just dont care, hell, HOW many people bought the BF3 premium? (not saying thats a good thing, just reality)

2) Alot of people love the setting and presentation.  Heck even the voice acting is alot better/believable than TOR despite all the money poured into it.

3) people like the classlessness of it, yes there are still roles, but you arent stuck as a tank/DPS/Healer forever.

Im having alot of fun with it, I guess animation issues are just so low on my things to notice or care about that i dont really notice anything terribly amiss, I dont have an eye for that sort of thing.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Reasons I like it.

I like the COMBAT much better than wow clone combat. I like how I have to fight pve like I would normally only do in pvp.
    I like their crafting builds
    I like that I can play at my own pace, take a step back and rerun things I liked etc.. there's no need to rush to "endgame"
    I like the graphics and especially the soundtrack
    I quite like the pvp it has lots of potential, the basics are right - limited skill set, 3 sides, good cc system, cd, true los. They just need to change the rules so they are defence orientated.
    The story as well, but that's a bonus to me, not a reason to play a mmo, if it was just story and everything else was shite I wouldn't play (i only lasted 2 weeks in swtor)
    I like that its hard.
    I do hate ea though
  • BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

I only have about 1-2 hours a day to play, so jumping into TSW and doing a couple of really good quests that make me laugh or scare my girlfriend because of the creaking, mad cackling and screaming from going into the Black House in Savage Coast. The amount of detail that has gone into each quest makes it just awesome.

... And I love the ability system and the steady amount of new SP/AP that I can use to create MY build. I spend a lot of time just trying to get the "perfect" build going and am really pleased with my Pistol/Elemental crit/glass cannon build. http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/character/Blackbeard

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

setting,atmosphera,world,combat,skill system, space for exploration,good  comunity ...TSW is great MMORPG ,it is mmo for what i waiting long time

noticed, many haters dont know what about  they speaking ,they should wait  in   silence for their arcade mmo GW2

• SlavojZizekSlavojZizek Member Posts: 50
    Originally posted by Garvon3

Much less Funcom WoW clones.

You really don't have a clue do you? This comment is so far from the truth that it is unbelievable. How on earth can you possibly say this is a WoW clone? It is furthest from WoW than any MMO and it looks, feels and plays nothing like WoW. I suggest you think before you write comments in future. To deliberate miselead people in this way is tantamount to being an out and out liar.

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by maskmurda

In all honestly, I can't see how people play this game. I want(no sarcasm at all) someone to enlighten me on how they can play this. Funcom+EA turns me away as it is, but I played the beta and the game was so bland and unimpressive I can't grasp at why some people are gravitating to it. I wasn't struck by it's visuals, clunky movement and character animations or quest system. People are saying that the skill system is innovative, I see no inovation in the Trinity, only a new perspective. I dont mean to bash anyone who plays it, it's your cup of tea then by all means share with me something you find good in the game that I can check out, but for me a game with this level of quality shouldn't be released in 2012. I expect something like this from 5 years ago.  But I seeing how well EA loves their consumer base I can't see this game ending will in the next few months.  I'm really trying to see the diamond in the rough because I notice alot of people are getting into it, but then again there is that "new car smell" effect things can have.

It's not a bash thread nor I don't expect to bash or be bashed, I just want a real and honest understanding at how some people can use the word "impressive" with this kind of game.

In all honesty..I think you wrote this thread to be able to get "your"  own distasteful ideas around TSW confirmed , your whole post reeks of trolling and make up's hidden in one or 2 excuses to why you even wrote this post..You say It's not a bash post..Hmm really ?

If those really are the feelings you have towards TSW after playing the beta, then there is NO reason for you to even consider TSW much less listen to reason why players actually likes it..Your post is a lie and a trolling attempt..

Or do you say that If someone actually succeds in writing a good reply here you would consider it again ?

TSW brings back oldshool gaming in a new package for me..The Skillwheel and the combat synergies gives me flashbacks to AO and even SWG. On top of that it looks ok, and is something new and refreshing :) I'm glad I bought TSW

• ThaVampThaVamp Member Posts: 48

TSW is in no way how I would see my perfect MMO. But it is different enough to keep me interested for some time, although I doubt that I will play it more then let's say half a year.

See it like this. If you've eaten lots of apples in your life a new apples must be really, really nice to actually be different from all the other apples you've eaten. On the other hand a pear will be a nice variation on your daily diet and therefore much more enjoyable. Even though the pear may have some bad spots and a pear isn't that special to begin with. 

Me, I'm eating my pear at the moment, while waiting for my lychee.

• BhorzoBhorzo Member Posts: 192

The setting/environments are stunning. The zones are huge and packed full of content. There's a sense of life and activity, no matter where you go to explore. There are actually hidden places to find and explore in the first place. There are dungeons/areas that are so dark you need a flashlight. Puzzle and investigation missions are very much da vinci code and sherlock holmes style. The game is hard.... not brutally hard, but harder than any MMORPG I've played in a long, long time... call it "challenging". The people, factions, corporation, quest givers, have a presence in the "real world"... they have websites, phone numbers, etc... and exploring this "real world" side of the game is integral to solving the quests and missions and learning about lore. The skill wheel is awesome and provides an infinite number of builds/specs, even moreso than games like GW1. You are in control of your character's progression and "levelling", and you can take your character in any direction you wish! So much lore packed into this game, it's overwhelming at times. Story-based gameplay with cutscenes and what feels like more "bonus" dialogue than SWTOR (it's optional). The stories told by this game are, put simply, 100% awesome. The ending of the main quest chain for zones 1-3 is the best "quest" I've ever done in an MMORPG. Oh ... and don't forget the setting/environments are stunning.

For me, this is the best MMORPG I've ever played, and I've played quite a few.

PS - Forgot about Cthulu! Can't leave him out!

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

There are so many incredibly elongated responses to this thread, when all that's needed to be said is "atmosphere". It's another story driven MMO with great environments, which I'm sure will only remain as awesome as it feels at this moment with extremely regular content updates.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• aeoleonaeoleon Member UncommonPosts: 75

I play because I enjoy it. There is no "enlighten" anyone here, because how you feel and how I feel about playing the game are two oposite things, therefore, there will be no answer that will satisfy the OP completely.

01110110 01101001 01100011 01110100 01101111 01110010 01111001 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01101111 01110101 01110010 01110011 00100000 01100001 01101101 01101001 01100111 01101111 00100001

• RoshaRosha Member UncommonPosts: 29

For me it's three fold

1> Story - it's more than just hacking this orc, that goblin or 50 wolves.  Sure there's some of that with zombies and other things, but like other games there is a story to go with it, but unlike other games its reasonably fit into the story, not just an xp grab.  The overall stories so far have been pretty good, I feel like I'm tossed in the middle of a Haven episode mashed with a little Xfiles and a sticky spot on my shoe for Lovecraftian-eat-your-face.

2> Atmosphere - every time I turn around, I'm wowed, perhaps not entirely through 'just' visuals, but the audio (how many games actually let you know your walking in a sewer pipe, then gravel, then grass, then a wooden deck only to jump over a fence and into something thick and wet (not water like a sludge or slime), the story, the overall feel.  I try to ignore the ho-hum character generation and some of the animation quirks, but when your shadows move around you with the time of the day, and inside buildings through the windows - lots of effort many other games just gloss over.

3> "This Sandbox is not for kiddies"  - there is no golden mark on the map for you to follow, sure there's an arrow to take you the right area, but in a lot of cases there's no walk through and you need to use your brain, your worldly knowledge or barring that your search engine skills.  This will keep some of the script kiddie pwnzords away I hope. When you're leaping lasers, pulling lamp shades and smacking your miners helmet because the batteries ran out - we'll be there with others that want to be there in this genre and after the freebie periods those kiddie whiners won't.

Really there is another for me, my secret #4 - the fact my wife pulled this game out of the ether, I'd dismissed it for something more mainstream, and in the past 12 years this is the first time she was willing to play with or without me said something about how this game grabbed her and I needed to get a copy and have a deeper look, I'm glad I did.

Now if there were only housing....

• FinnMcCoolFinnMcCool Member Posts: 34

As with every game I play it for fun and to have a laugh with friends, the game also appeals to me because being a big Lovecraft fan I love the whole creepy horror feel of the game.

The look and feel of the game are excellent and I really enjoy the missions and actually having to think about what I am doing for once, the story and voice acting are both top notch as well. There is room for improvement with certain things especially the PVP but im sure it will happen over time.

No MMO is in a finished state at release anymore, even the almighty WOW wasnt fully finished at the start. The trouble nowadays is that because of the monopoly WOW has all new MMO's have to get released as quick as possible to get their slice of the pie before the next big thing comes along.

Every MMO release is the same there is a mad rush to play it at the start by the games actual fans and WOWtards alike. The games fans play and enjoy the new experience they have been looking forward too regardless of any niggling bugs etc while the WOWtards bitch and moan in game chat comparing every little thing to WOW and saying the game should have this or that because WOW has it. After a couple of weeks the WOWtards lose interest and crawl back into their holes to go grind the newest bunch of mindless daily quests in WOW leaving the original games fans to carrying on enjoying  it and having fun.

• MisatoTremorMisatoTremor Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Originally posted by Voiidiin

Why does my wife play Facebook games more then i ever played an MMO ? Because she enjoys it.

Why does my daughter love to play Maple Story ? Because she enjoys it.

Why does my son play COD like its the only video game ever made ? Because he enjoys it.

Not sure why it bothers other people that there are players who enjoy games that those said people do not enjoy.

I do not see anyone attempting to force players to play any certain game, so i guess i am more confused as to why the OP is so bothered by people who enjoy something.

This. Nuff said.

Misato - TankDoc for Life
    I think eve might be further from wow than tsw

But I agree tsw is in no way a wow clone, that was a ridiculous comment.
  • BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I think eve might be further from wow than tsw

But I agree tsw is in no way a wow clone, that was a ridiculous comment.

EVE has created it's own genre in my opinion, I don't think I know of a single game that even reminds me of it.

TSW is more of a mix of several types of game into one, kind of an adventure/mmorpg crossover.

... and in "adventure" I mean like in Monkey Island and similar games where you have to twist your brain to solve the different parts of the game.